What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

:lmao:

How can I "NF" if I never officially cross the start line? ;)
Correct, but you’d get a DNS which means you were too poosay to even toe the line and everything Duck said would still apply. So, just do it officially and don’t worry about your ranking.  Nobody really cares and you’ll know why your time wasn’t optimal!  :thumbup:

(I’ve got a couple such events...ran with my brother in his first ever lengthy trail race and in another trail race I pushed my 3 year old daughter in the Bob stroller.  Added just in case anyone here is wondering why I didn’t podium those two races.)

Assuming GPS wouldn't work inside, I'd pick the treadmill.  I'd surely forget how many laps I'd done.
Don't count laps.  Estimate based on time/pace.  If you miss by a couple of laps, no big deal.  Doing 9.8 or 10.3 miles instead of 10 is optimal to counting to 100 for an hour and a half.

I guess one option is to do an easy run tomorrow. Normally a rest day, so maybe 6 miles. That would be my Saturday run. 

Do my Friday 5 miler in the rain, which should be no big deal. And then do my 10 miler in the snow Saturday morning when the temps are still in the 20's. That is manageable.

Then Sunday is my rest day in front of the fire getting loaded before the Chiefs playoff game.  :towelwave:
Running during a snowfall is actually quite enjoyable ...it makes everything very quiet.  The bit of highstepping in the snow (depending how much you get) can be beneficial as well.  It helps to wear a brimmed hat (with ear cover over or under) to keep the snow out of the eyes and maybe some YakTrax, if you have them, for traction.  Plus, you're a BMF for running during the storm.  

Running during a snowfall is actually quite enjoyable ...it makes everything very quiet.  The bit of highstepping in the snow (depending how much you get) can be beneficial as well.  It helps to wear a brimmed hat (with ear cover over or under) to keep the snow out of the eyes and maybe some YakTrax, if you have them, for traction.  Plus, you're a BMF for running during the storm.  
:goodposting:

But skip the hat and get the post run selfie with snow and ice stuck to whatever hair exists on your head and face.  Just make sure your ears are covered.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Do they get soaked running in the snow?

What I don't like about the snow is the streets can be slicker where tire tracks have been. I also don't trust cars won't slide into me on turns/bends.  Sidewalks can be better but I never know when there is a sheet of ice under the snow.

For me, I wore my trail shoes last weekend when the snow was fresh and I was running in tire ruts. Worked great. After they plowed I have been running in my normal running shoes. 

You should try it some time you big woooooooooooooooosaaaaaaaaaaay. 

Don't discard your old shoes.  Old running shoes become snow shoes.  I have 5.  The newest ones are my primary.  The ones I just replaced become the secondary, meaning if it may rain or there is puddle potential then I'll wear those instead.  Third are my trail shoes.  Fourth are my snow shoes.  And last are my yard work and backups to my third and fourth ones - I'll slap yaktrax on these if they're necessary.  When you get new shoes, each pair slides down a notch.

What I don't like about the snow is the streets can be slicker where tire tracks have been. I also don't trust cars won't slide into me on turns/bends.  Sidewalks can be better but I never know when there is a sheet of ice under the snow.
It's the masochist in me, but I love that unknown on the sidewalks.  It forces me to focus on my form and maintaining balance.  It's different than trails, but there are parallels.  I think doing this involuntarily leads to better form and balance in good conditions, so I don't have to exert any energy thinking about it.

Totally agree with you about other cars.  My road routes in the snow are generally very boring because I intentionally pick paths that are less susceptible to other drivers potentially being in the way.

Assuming GPS wouldn't work inside, I'd pick the treadmill.  I'd surely forget how many laps I'd done.
I just turn off the GPS on my Garmin, set up my data screen to display laps, and then manually hit the "lap" button every time I come around to the start/finish line

I have zero data, but I think my cadence actually increases as my fitness improves. I can usually tell fairly quickly if I'm popping that day because my foot turnover is higher without expending any/much additional energy. Eventually once fatigued it slows and I need to extend the stride and/or use more energy and drive through each step to maintain (or increase) pace. When I'm fit that point of fatigue doesn't happen until later in a given workout.  
Quoted this once before to say thanks... doing so again after a few more runs/tests... The discussion around here and this post specifically had quite the impact on me, IMO. I've had several more runs since the other post I made but paying more attention to my cadence helps me also focus on breathing. Thus, the last several runs I've had, mostly ones meant for longer miles at pace, have suddenly gotten "easier". 

Before when I would "take it easy", I tended to "stretch out my legs". I found that the runs started off easy but by the end seemed to be harder than when I was trying to run faster. The discussion around cadence, etc, made me realize how much harder I was working when going "easy". Plus, I tended to have a little discomfort in my knees after some of those runs. My most recent runs, including going back to back this week for the first time in a while, seem much more relaxed, even when I push the pace a little. 

Huge thanks to @MAC_32 and others for the discussion and insights!

Last edited by a moderator:
on a fun note... I'm now officially down 20 lbs, about 4% body fat, up about 2.5% muscle mass, and had to tighten my belt about 4 notches (didn't measure before, but based on belt movement, I've lost about 4 inches+ from my waist). 

Good news is I feel a ton better and my knees definitely appreciate supporting less weight on the runs. Bad news is that at some point I'm going to have to invest in some new pants!

on a fun note... I'm now officially down 20 lbs, about 4% body fat, up about 2.5% muscle mass, and had to tighten my belt about 4 notches (didn't measure before, but based on belt movement, I've lost about 4 inches+ from my waist). 

Good news is I feel a ton better and my knees definitely appreciate supporting less weight on the runs. Bad news is that at some point I'm going to have to invest in some new pants!
This is awesome.  :bow:

So.....looks like this weekend will force me inside for the first time in my running career. Sunday morning we are supposed to be in the negative digits with snow on the ground and it will simply not be safe for me to run 10 miles outside.

I have a local community center where I can buy a day pass, so I think that is the plan. So would you rather:

a. Run 10 miles on a treadmill

b. Run 100 laps of a .10 mile indoor track

I'm leaning toward b at this point, if only for the fact I can look around and see other people. Might make it less mind-numbing.
a.  Get your phone setup with Prime/NetFlix/Hulu whatever and watch while you run

a.  Get your phone setup with Prime/NetFlix/Hulu whatever and watch while you run
I have such a hard time doing this. I just don't really pay enough attention to be able to watch anything with a plot, etc. 

I like having a game on or watching something like Jeopardy where I can tune in and out of. But I can't really watch or listen to anything that has a storyline, etc. I just miss to much for it to be practical. 

I agree with what @MAC_32 has written above.  The shoes don't get soaked, but they do get wet and potentially dirty.  

And as @Juxtatarot notes, the biggest hassle is new snow over old ice.  That's the one thing I hate.  I love a new snowfall, which is when YakTrax are ideal.  But as stated, running in the streets is hard ...the packed snow of tire tracks become rather loose/unstable.  I stay on the sidewalks when I can.  The time or two I've driven a couple hours up to grue's Pettit Center for long runs was primarily due to icy conditions.

I agree with what @MAC_32 has written above.  The shoes don't get soaked, but they do get wet and potentially dirty.  

And as @Juxtatarot notes, the biggest hassle is new snow over old ice.  That's the one thing I hate.  I love a new snowfall, which is when YakTrax are ideal.  But as stated, running in the streets is hard ...the packed snow of tire tracks become rather loose/unstable.  I stay on the sidewalks when I can.  The time or two I've driven a couple hours up to grue's Pettit Center for long runs was primarily due to icy conditions.
I got 99 problems, but runnin in the snow ain’t one!

Good question. I've been running on a treadmill a lot lately. Have done it before, never been a huge fan but getting used to it now, a little. There are some things I more or less like about it but would completely prefer to be out on the road. I've actually looked at a couple of options for running on an indoor track instead but haven't tried it yet. I recall running a couple of indoor track meets back in high school and running the 2 mile on a tiny track where you were basically always running through a corner pretty much sucked. 

I actually have found running on the treadmill at the Y where I can look around - either people watch or bounce between a couple of TV screens - to not be too unbearable. I haven't tried to do 10 miles - usually do about 5 +/-. I'd like to try running on the indoor track but the one at my local Y isn't really a track - basically a path around the basketball courts but usually people have gear in the way so running isn't really feasible. There is another one that is a bit more of a drive but haven't ventured there yet. 
I do the same thing, but I have one huge draw back.

farting

Im sure its only me, but my system moves along when im running.  I normally get in a number of toots along the way.  Im no manly mans BMF, but these things arent smell-less.  They have meat on the bones and above average staying power.  There is no way I can start yolking the egg in-front of the other people at the gym.  A man must know some boundaries.

I get to complain about my weather now, too!

'Atmospheric River': Incoming Bay Area Storm Prompts Warnings About Flash Floods and High Winds

The National Weather Service has issued warnings about flash floods and high winds in the Bay Area starting Wednesday morning as a major storm bears down on the region.

A Flash Flood Watch is in effect from 3 p.m. Wednesday to 3 a.m. Thursday for much of the Bay Area, while a High Wind Warning is in effect from 1 p.m. Wednesday to 3 a.m. Thursday in coastal areas and higher elevations that could see gusts of 50-60 mph, according to the weather service.

The North Bay mountains and Santa Cruz mountains are expected to get the brunt of the impact from the storm, with more than 3 inches of rain possible, forecaster Steve Anderson said.

There are particular concerns over flooding because of the rain that has already come through the region in recent days, according to Anderson.
It's already been really sloppy out on the trails the past week or two, even on the few nice days between storms, and it's obviously about to get worse.  So I laugh at y'all and your talk of wet and dirty shoes!

The Iguana said:

Good for you.  Weight has always been a struggle for me.  I hate it, but I started logging in all my food/calories in one of those apps about 2 weeks ago.  Very eye opening.  I didn't realize what a pig I was, it was pretty shameful really.  Too add to bad eating habits we moved this summer and this new neighborhood is super social, which leads to drinking a couple of IPA's 3 or 4 nights a week.  

I checked in at 205 this morning, the goal is 175.  I hovered around 180 five or six years ago and it felt fantastic.   I've spent my entire adult life as a 250+ guy until my wife got pregnant with our first child (8 now).   Got to stay focused. 

Leg pain is finally 100% gone.  Still not sure what it was exactly, but it took a solid 4 weeks to recover.  Fitness is not where it was though, ut I'm close.

If the point of the Hanson plan is to make a guy feel like sheeeeeeeeeeit and exhausted for every run....well....its working GREAT! <_<
Cumulative fatigue.  It's working.  And as it's designed it hit you right before the scheduled rest day.

:cry: I thought my leg was finally getting better and then yesterday I get in my car and pulled it again adjusting around.  I was so pissed -  :censored: :censored:

Now I don't know what to do.  Part of me wants to do what Juxt said and say #### it and go run.  But I know it's not 100% and won't get better.  But right now it seems like it won't get better without like complete bed rest for a week which isn't possible.  :censored:

Cumulative fatigue.  It's working.  And as it's designed it hit you right before the scheduled rest day.
Yep. I'm probably going to have to forego my rest day today to accommodate for this weekends terrible weather. But that's ok - I feel good today.

Also remembered an extremely important part of this training last night on my run when I was feeling awful. I need to eat more.

As you all recall, I had this problem before, and I knew this going in. Now that the holidays are over I've regressed back to a normal diet. Which just isn't enough. So at least I recognized it now. 

Good for you.  Weight has always been a struggle for me.  I hate it, but I started logging in all my food/calories in one of those apps about 2 weeks ago.  Very eye opening.  I didn't realize what a pig I was, it was pretty shameful really.  Too add to bad eating habits we moved this summer and this new neighborhood is super social, which leads to drinking a couple of IPA's 3 or 4 nights a week.  

I checked in at 205 this morning, the goal is 175.  I hovered around 180 five or six years ago and it felt fantastic.   I've spent my entire adult life as a 250+ guy until my wife got pregnant with our first child (8 now).   Got to stay focused. 

Leg pain is finally 100% gone.  Still not sure what it was exactly, but it took a solid 4 weeks to recover.  Fitness is not where it was though, ut I'm close.
Grats on the weight loss @The Iguana.  Good luck on the diet logging jb! I've done that before, and while it's really effective, man, do I dread that - less so the activity of logging stuff, but moreso the admission to yourself that you shouldn't have had drinks and dessert.  Good to hear about the leg pain - running is a great way to counterbalance weekday beers, but you need to be actually able to run, right? 

Yep. I'm probably going to have to forego my rest day today to accommodate for this weekends terrible weather. But that's ok - I feel good today.
Glad to read, it's the right move.  This way when you wake up to 25 degrees and snow with a 20 mph north wind Saturday morning you don't have to get out there.  If you're game for it then by all means.  Because then you can justify skipping Sunday when it's even colder.  Just a whole lot easier mentally looking at those two days knowing you only have to drum up the energy once.

Also remembered an extremely important part of this training last night on my run when I was feeling awful. I need to eat more.

As you all recall, I had this problem before, and I knew this going in. Now that the holidays are over I've regressed back to a normal diet. Which just isn't enough. So at least I recognized it now. 
When I was mapping out my plan for this year - this was the hardest part.  Knowing cutting weight and training for a race simultaneously wasn't a good idea.  You're not cutting weight, but I want to lose 10 pounds before thinking about training again.  Because I'm not gonna lose that weight just by training anymore.  Need to eat enough to replenish energy to stay on schedule.  So as much as I didn't want to put an 8 week cut on the calendar, means to the end - it's the right call.  Hopefully the weather is ####, so I wouldn't be able to sufficiently train anyway!

👍 keep at it and focus on your recovery. I got to be point where I was getting extra calories before and after the Tuesday and Thursday SOS workouts. Usually a bit of tailwind pre and either a muscle milk or bodyarmour with protein powder added after. 

I’ll be joining you on the Hanson bus next week, using the HM guidance for a HM double in March & May.  Been trying to clear a stomach thing the past couple days so I’m getting some unplanned rest in this week.

wait wait wait - 8 kids?  Is that a mis-type?

wait wait wait - 8 kids?  Is that a mis-type?
I meant he's 8 years old now...Decided kids was a good reason to get my fat ### in decent shape.  Just 2 kids total, 8 and 6 year old.  One more on the way thru adoption.  

I meant he's 8 years old now...Decided kids was a good reason to get my fat ### in decent shape.  Just 2 kids total, 8 and 6 year old.  One more on the way thru adoption.  
Oh Jesus thank god.  You scared the #### outta me with this 8 stuff!!

I was a scrawny 150/155 lb guy when I graduated high school. Within a year or so I was about 180 - which was a pretty good weight for me and I stayed there for years. I gained more weight than my wife both times she was pregnant and I never lost it. I've fluctuated between about 205 and 250 for the last 20 years. 

Dream/goal is to be under 200 sometime in the next few months - would be the first time I was under 200 since sometime back in 1998 - literally. I was 235 at the beginning of July. I'm now 215 and feel so much better. 

I basically lost 5 pounds between July 1 and October 1. Have lost about 15 now since October 1. And that's with still enjoying more than enough food and IPAs during the holidays. Actually really has kicked up a notch since January started - a direct result of fewer parties, etc during the holidays. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

Not eating enough has NEVER been my problem! :D  

Kids are one of the reasons I got to be a fat ###! There was a "baby blues" cartoon that highlighted it perfectly... I would tend to eat my food and then finish off whatever they wouldn't eat instead of letting it go to waste - i.e. it either went to waste or went to my waist!

Good people ... this is long.  Apologies in advance. 

Historically I only run when I need to suffer or am working through things mentally/emotionally... I do not like running,  cycling MTBs in particular are what I prefer enjoying 100 mile MTB races. ... 3 years ago, my father was diagnosed with ALS.  Needing to do something, to suffer,  a charity ride wouldn't cut it so I raised money and ran NYC in 16...jogged?  I didn't take training too seriously and tweaked knees along the way slowed training to near a standstill.  Marathon day was my 7th run since Aug 1 that year.  My runs after that were all beer runs... I laced up sneakers maybe a half dozen times in 17.  In 18 a total of 3 (one a emotion driven 13 miles).  

Somewhere along the way I told my father I'd run NYC twice more, once when he couldn't walk and once more in his memory.  Towards the end of the year, as my father's decline picked up steam I knew that I'd be running in 19 and likely just the once. I decided that I needed to run every dammm day, at least a mile, pace didn't matter... just get it done, create the habit, callous the mind.  So I started running again... for the moment just logging short miles getting it done and working on form.  I'm continuing the yoga 3x weekly I started back up with months ago, in hopes that it continues to work imbalances.. really hope to avoid the knee issues that plagued me in 16.

I emailed the charity just before he passed last week, was promised a spot, told him I'd be running again and some 36 hours later his body finally gave out. 

TL:DR  I'm running again, gonna do NYC in NOV in my Pop's memory and running still sucks.  I'll be checking in from time to time, but don't expect me on Strava...I dumped that when I started focusing on enjoying the ride, not sure I see that changing. 

this morning's run was short and labored run in 22*.  

Good people ... this is long.  Apologies in advance. 

Historically I only run when I need to suffer or am working through things mentally/emotionally... I do not like running,  cycling MTBs in particular are what I prefer enjoying 100 mile MTB races. ... 3 years ago, my father was diagnosed with ALS.  Needing to do something, to suffer,  a charity ride wouldn't cut it so I raised money and ran NYC in 16...jogged?  I didn't take training too seriously and tweaked knees along the way slowed training to near a standstill.  Marathon day was my 7th run since Aug 1 that year.  My runs after that were all beer runs... I laced up sneakers maybe a half dozen times in 17.  In 18 a total of 3 (one a emotion driven 13 miles).  

Somewhere along the way I told my father I'd run NYC twice more, once when he couldn't walk and once more in his memory.  Towards the end of the year, as my father's decline picked up steam I knew that I'd be running in 19 and likely just the once. I decided that I needed to run every dammm day, at least a mile, pace didn't matter... just get it done, create the habit, callous the mind.  So I started running again... for the moment just logging short miles getting it done and working on form.  I'm continuing the yoga 3x weekly I started back up with months ago, in hopes that it continues to work imbalances.. really hope to avoid the knee issues that plagued me in 16.

I emailed the charity just before he passed last week, was promised a spot, told him I'd be running again and some 36 hours later his body finally gave out. 

TL:DR  I'm running again, gonna do NYC in NOV in my Pop's memory and running still sucks.  I'll be checking in from time to time, but don't expect me on Strava...I dumped that when I started focusing on enjoying the ride, not sure I see that changing. 

this morning's run was short and labored run in 22*.  
Man, so sorry about your dad. 

But kudos to you for honoring him this way. You know a father has done well in his life when his son will go through this kind of thing in honor of him. I can only hope that I can be the type of father where my kids want to honor me after I pass. 

Signed up myself, my wife, and my brother- and sister-in-law for the BAA 5K this morning.  I'll probably run with my wife, and my BIL and SIL will likely walk.  In any case, it'll be a cool way for them to get a little taste of marathon weekend, cross the finish line, get a medal, etc.

Interval workout this afternoon.  Ten miles total including 6 x 3/4-mile starting at 6:22 pace and finishing at 6:03.  Only 1 minute recovery after #1/3/5 and 4 minutes after #2/4.  Shouldn't be too bad except for maybe the last couple of reps when I go 6:07/6:03 back-to-back with one minute of rest.

Users who are viewing this thread