What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

I apologize in advance for my strava workout tonight. Supposed to be 5 x 1000 at 5k-10k pace. The plan was to run this at the track, but it is raining all day and supposed to turn to a wintry mix right when I get home.

So I am going to attempt this run in my neighborhood where at least I will have some tree limb cover over the route. The downside is the route will be slightly downhill with an incline the last .20 of a mile.

So not sure how much benefit I will get running slightly downhill, but I will try and compensate by running it at the 5k pace instead of the 10k pace. Also adjusting my goal, so the pace should be more manageable considering my awful conditioning. 
I think these workouts are sometimes more effective when done in the neighborhood vs. track.  The races we usually do are not in a more controlled environment, like a track.  Better to practice in what you're more likely to race.  So what if there are some inclines and declines.  Just focus on the rep like you're running a 5K.  Not the pace, just the mindset.  Let the data say what the data says after.  Get to that stop sign, not how fast am I going.

You're crushing it.

I only got 13.3 miles run, slightly over 6,000 yards in the pool, around 4 hours sitting on my ### pedaling. 90 minutes of weights. 
Thanks for the kind words, but I dunno, I need to instrument some more intensity.  I can tell im on a slow build right now.  Im optimistic I can make it through my 3 weeks on before I get to my rest week.

Im jealous of your pool time.  My bike is so bad I need an extra day of it vs my 3rd pool session.  Swimming is so much more positively impactful to the body IMO.

I apologize in advance for my strava workout tonight. Supposed to be 5 x 1000 at 5k-10k pace. The plan was to run this at the track, but it is raining all day and supposed to turn to a wintry mix right when I get home.

So I am going to attempt this run in my neighborhood where at least I will have some tree limb cover over the route. The downside is the route will be slightly downhill with an incline the last .20 of a mile.

So not sure how much benefit I will get running slightly downhill, but I will try and compensate by running it at the 5k pace instead of the 10k pace. Also adjusting my goal, so the pace should be more manageable considering my awful conditioning. 
I wouldn't sweat it, the Hansons actually prefer that these workouts are not performed on a track.

That would have made me mental. Would have done same thing and probably moved myself if I had enough time left after ##### didn’t move down at least one. 
Yea, not sure I could have said it.  I prolly would have made a scene moving all the way across the room wishing I would have said what you said.

Is anyone else a ##### when it comes to cold in the shower? 

I'm pretty weather resilient other than cycling in the cold, I've ran in snow, cold rain, 180SI, etc. But damn if I don't get soft when I'm in the shower, space heater on blast, and my wife keeps walking in and out, opening the door, letting the cold air in. :rant:  ☃️
:lmao:  - not about the cold air but I damn do need boiling hot water.  I dont suffer in the cold outside to take no luke warm shower

Yea, not sure I could have said it.  I prolly would have made a scene moving all the way across the room wishing I would have said what you said.
mental note... snuggle up to JAA, bushdocda, and/or Juxtatarot on the treadmill if ever given the chance!

• Thinking
Reactions: JAA
Ive finally been able to run over 8 miles but I can't prove it and the world needs to know(!). Twice, strava app has stopped at the same place kinda near my house. Both times it was around 60 minutes in but not exactly 60 minutes.  Odd, as I have done bike rides over 90 minutes. 

Anyway, I changed the battery optimization settings for Strava on my phone to manual instead of automatic. We'll see if that helps. I know most on here have their trusty wristwatches and this problem is foreign , but I welcome other ideas. 

Apology accepted 

When I first read @Juxtatarot's post my mind went to the guy having a favorite dreadmill.  Not surprised to read that's likely the case.  I still would have shamelessly crop dusted him to no end though.  Probably would have tried to swing an arm in his direction if I felt a particularly large bead of sweat forming to his side.  Because the urinal rules apply to such gym situations.  I'd have been in passive aggressive over load mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive finally been able to run over 8 miles but I can't prove it and the world needs to know(!). Twice, strava app has stopped at the same place kinda near my house. Both times it was around 60 minutes in but not exactly 60 minutes.  Odd, as I have done bike rides over 90 minutes. 

Anyway, I changed the battery optimization settings for Strava on my phone to manual instead of automatic. We'll see if that helps. I know most on here have their trusty wristwatches and this problem is foreign , but I welcome other ideas. 
Oh man this would really annoy me, especially on a new distance.  I only recently started using the watch a couple of months ago.  Before that it was all-phone.  

Even if my phone battery died (usually because it was cold) Strava would resume after I brought the phone back to life (usually by warming it up).  I'd have a chunk of interpolated data but it would still be there.

You have the right idea that perhaps Google is shutting the app down in the background.  Do you keep Strava active (you don't switch to other apps) after launching it?

My wife's upload of her first 20 miler failed.  I kept my distance from her that day.

I've only ever used the app and haven't had any such problems.  As @The Iguana mentioned, some malfunctions due to cold but rarely impacting the run's data.  

Last edited by a moderator:
2019 Chevron Houston Marathon Race Report

TL;DR:  Ran too fast through the first 20mi and ran/walked the last 6mi.  Hit my two goals (a. Finish; and b. <4hrs).  But I don't feel 20% as satisfied as I did after my HM.  Could use any advice ("Lessons Learned" section at bottom) you guys have.
Awesome work!  Its only the beginning

So I managed to get a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder area about a week ago.  Lots of steady, dull pain (at times almost throbbing) across the shoulder, upper back, down into the arm.  Ouch. Talked to a few friends at church on Sunday, and one of them pointed out that another church member is a chiropractor.  I went and saw her today.  She verified it's a pinched nerve that's left me in rather bad shape.  (Oddly enough, I was able to keep up my workouts over the past week.)  She did some work on me and scheduled me for a massage, which I completed a couple of hours ago.  She also encouraged me to see my regular doc to get some steroids, and I was able to slip in and do that.  I'll see the chiro again on Wednesday.  She told me to lay low on the workouts until then.  

Side note: I picked up some Biofreeze yesterday, and that worked great to relieve lots of the pain and help me get a measure of decent sleep, which has otherwise eluded me for several days.  The chiro spoke highly of Biofreeze, and the masseuse said both she and her athletic sons make regular use of it.  It doesn't help heal, but it does trick the body to a degree and help alleviate pain. 
Ive gotten a bunch of trial packages of biofreeze.  Never used it, but glad to hear it works when needed.

Thanks for the kind words, but I dunno, I need to instrument some more intensity.  I can tell im on a slow build right now.  Im optimistic I can make it through my 3 weeks on before I get to my rest week.

Im jealous of your pool time.  My bike is so bad I need an extra day of it vs my 3rd pool session.  Swimming is so much more positively impactful to the body IMO.
Yep

I can honestly say if not for the pure convenience difference, I'd swim a lot more than run right now. 

I feel a lot better afterwards. Although I do like the peace that comes with a zone 2 run.

I was having this problem with my phone. I actually switched apps a couple times trying to "fix it" but I think it was some issue with my phone losing its GPS connection. There is a particular route I love to run near my house that I can use to vary for length but at about the same place +/- I would lose GPS on a regular basis. Sometimes I would get it back, sometimes not. 

MapMyRun, Strava, and the Fitbit app all seemed to do the same thing - my HM race only showed up as like 8 or 9 miles instead of the 13.1 I KNOW I DID, DAMMIT! I think it was a problem with my my phone. I actually got a Garmin for Christmas so now I leave my phone at home and haven't had any problems. 

So, I never could fix the problem so I'm not being a ton of help, but I did have the same issue with my phone.

I got my HM this weekend.  Somehow I didn't realize it was my first HM in 5 years.  Had one of those "Holy #### where has the time gone" moments this morning when figured out it had been that long.   I did sign up for this one 2 years ago and it was cancelled due to ice.  Volunteered to help last year.  

Been nervous because I feel under trained with the 3-4 weeks I took off with the leg pain.  I decided to do a deep dive on that last HM 5 years ago.  I ran it in 2:02.  I don't think I was very happy with it at the time, but with young kids I think it was one I just decided to sign up and have fun.  

Looking back to the 6 months before that Jan 2014 race I had run a total of 190 miles.  The past 6 months I've run 337, and thats considering the nearly month I took off.  My attitude about it has kind of changed after seeing the stats.  I'd consider most of my runs in the past 6 months as quality.  A good mix of slow, steady paces of 10min or so and a good many under 10 minutes.  Prior to the 2014 I only had 2 runs under 10 minutes, and they were both under 3 miles.  It doesn't look like I was very serious about the 2014 race.  

Looking back I'm shocked I was able to finish the race much less get in at 2:02 (my PR is 1:52:04 set in 2012).   My original goal was to run a HM in Dec under 2 hours, but the injury got me so I signed up for this one.  

I think I need to keep the goal at being under 2.  Hoping I can surprise myself again.  This will be the first time I'll have my kids cheering me on.  That will be added motivation. 

Weather looks nice, 54/34 no rain or wind as of today.   

I got my HM this weekend.  Somehow I didn't realize it was my first HM in 5 years.  Had one of those "Holy #### where has the time gone" moments this morning when figured out it had been that long.   I did sign up for this one 2 years ago and it was cancelled due to ice.  Volunteered to help last year.  

Been nervous because I feel under trained with the 3-4 weeks I took off with the leg pain.  I decided to do a deep dive on that last HM 5 years ago.  I ran it in 2:02.  I don't think I was very happy with it at the time, but with young kids I think it was one I just decided to sign up and have fun.  

Looking back to the 6 months before that Jan 2014 race I had run a total of 190 miles.  The past 6 months I've run 337, and thats considering the nearly month I took off.  My attitude about it has kind of changed after seeing the stats.  I'd consider most of my runs in the past 6 months as quality.  A good mix of slow, steady paces of 10min or so and a good many under 10 minutes.  Prior to the 2014 I only had 2 runs under 10 minutes, and they were both under 3 miles.  It doesn't look like I was very serious about the 2014 race.  

Looking back I'm shocked I was able to finish the race much less get in at 2:02 (my PR is 1:52:04 set in 2012).   My original goal was to run a HM in Dec under 2 hours, but the injury got me so I signed up for this one.  

I think I need to keep the goal at being under 2.  Hoping I can surprise myself again.  This will be the first time I'll have my kids cheering me on.  That will be added motivation. 

Sweet. 

Let us know which one you are running and tracking info and we will keep an eye on you. Get you some.  :headbang:

Even if my phone battery died (usually because it was cold) Strava would resume after I brought the phone back to life (usually by warming it up).  I'd have a chunk of interpolated data but it would still be there.

You have the right idea that perhaps Google is shutting the app down in the background.  Do you keep Strava active (you don't switch to other apps) after launching it?
Thanks for your thoughts. I usually have Spotify and Strava open and in both situations, Spotify continued to work when Strava stopped. It's not a GPS dead spot thing. It might be a cold temp plus duration phenomenon, but just odd that only Strava stopped.

Anyway, hopefully it's just a power management thing and hopefully I'll have more occasions the next few weeks to go 8 plus miles. 

Thx! 

Alright, since it's our 1st one, there's only 1 week left in January, and February is a short month, I'll take the 1st one. You have until end of February.

1st Strava drawing subject: Bewb(s)

Alright, since it's our 1st one, there's only 1 week left in January, and February is a short month, I'll take the 1st one. You have until end of February.

I'll be really bummed if Strava craps out on me now. 

Anyone using only an Apple Watch?   Looking for an app that’ll allow for structured workouts.

Found ismoothrun and workoutside will have it in the next update. 

If we can use the elevation profile, I’ve done this lots of times. Hell, I have a regular long run route I call B Cups - up and down and up and down nearby Mt. Burdell.  They’re kind of pointy though, like an early-90s Madonna thing going on  

If we can use the elevation profile, I’ve done this lots of times. Hell, I have a regular long run route I call B Cups - up and down and up and down nearby Mt. Burdell.  They’re kind of pointy though, like an early-90s Madonna thing going on  
Is there a massive bush at the bottom like 80's Madonna?

I have been one of those folks who doesn’t like to run listening to music.  I changed my mind.  My route is all wide sidewalk and little car interaction at intersections.  I took the plunge and bought Jaybird Tarah Pros.  I’ve had X1s and X2s over the years and have been very happy with them.  I think music will keep me a little more entertained on runs in general and help keep me engaged.  I will give it a try this weekend and report back about Tarah Pros.  

I have been one of those folks who doesn’t like to run listening to music.  I changed my mind.  My route is all wide sidewalk and little car interaction at intersections.  I took the plunge and bought Jaybird Tarah Pros.  I’ve had X1s and X2s over the years and have been very happy with them.  I think music will keep me a little more entertained on runs in general and help keep me engaged.  I will give it a try this weekend and report back about Tarah Pros.  
I used to be this way too, but started listening to music earlier this year. Now I can't do a long run without it. 

Going to try some podcasts this weekend and see if that helps also. 

I used to be this way too, but started listening to music earlier this year. Now I can't do a long run without it. 

Going to try some podcasts this weekend and see if that helps also. 
I've been music for forever.  Just tried podcast for long run. If it's a slow steady run, podcasts are fine, but I will probably go to music for more intense runs.

When I first read @Juxtatarot's post my mind went to the guy having a favorite dreadmill.  Not surprised to read that's likely the case.
In defense of this guy, there are only 5-6 treadmills at my gym that I will use (out of a couple dozen), because they have little built-in fans.  The others could all be wide open, and I'd literally sit and wait until one of those freed up.....even if it meant running right next to someone.  

TripleThreat said:
Anyone using only an Apple Watch?   Looking for an app that’ll allow for structured workouts.

Found ismoothrun and workoutside will have it in the next update. 
No.  GPS accuracy is terrible.

Buddy of mine does use ismoothrun and says that you can already set up workouts.

I've been music for forever.  Just tried podcast for long run. If it's a slow steady run, podcasts are fine, but I will probably go to music for more intense runs.
Same.  I only listen to podcasts on recovery runs.  They make me run noticeably slower than when I'm listening to music.

Miserable weather on tap here for basically the next week....snow, extreme cold, wind, more snow....

I see lots of Pettit and treadmill time in my near future...  :thumbdown:

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
In defense of this guy, there are only 5-6 treadmills at my gym that I will use (out of a couple dozen), because they have little built-in fans.  The others could all be wide open, and I'd literally sit and wait until one of those freed up.....even if it meant running right next to someone.  
ffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrttttttt (woft woft woft) heh heh heh...

Miserable weather on tap here for basically the next week....snow, extreme cold, wind, more snow....

You know it's bad when you're looking at 40 degrees with wind, rain, and flooded streets as 14" of snow melts and saying to yourself - this may be the best day to run the rest of the month.

You know it's bad when you're looking at 40 degrees with wind, rain, and flooded streets as 14" of snow melts and saying to yourself - this may be the best day to run the rest of the month.
LOL. Yep - Chicago seems to have one horrific weather week each winter and summer. This is the week of winter that is just brutal. 

Since we're talking headphones I'll give my short review on these bone conduction headphones I bought this weekend.  

I listened to a podcast on my long run and I loved them.  They fit good under a beanie, didn't move a bit.  Clear, crisp sound.  

Used them last night and listened to music...it was a little disappointing.  I'm a jam band fan, I listen to Phish probably 70% of the time :bag: .  I could hear the lyrics just fine, but the instruments jamming in the back ground wasn't as crisp as I like it.  I had a feeling that would be a downside.  However, given the safety issue I think I still prefer them over the ear buds that seal off your entire ear.  

Most of the time I listen to podcast so its not a major issue, just slightly disappointing. 

When you guys race do you wear headphones?   I'm fairly new to listening to music while running.   I don't want to offend any spectators that are cheering me on.  

One of the Y's here in town as a .1 mile track. If the weather ends up as crappy as they it could be Saturday, I'm thinking of giving it a try this weekend. 

A local university two blocks from my house (vs. my university a mile away) is a mile around and they generally keep it in good order.  Hopefully, I can just run mile laps there in this lousy Chicago weather.  I also might run the stairs of their parking garage.  Seeing the chiropractor this afternoon (and just finished the final technical work of my two bathroom renovations), so I should be able to get back to routines tomorrow.

For real.  It's been snowing here pretty much nonstop since yesterday, roads are crap, and the wind chill is like 12°, and I'm actually contemplating running outside this afternoon...

jb1020 said:

Good luck.  You are going to be surprised at how well you feel on race day.  Enjoy the last 5k of your achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread