What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Iggy's non-marathon Monumental Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race - slept ok. Actually woke up at 2 am thinking it was go time. Saw it wasn't fell back to sleep and then woke up every hour thereafter until it was actually time to get up. Pretty much had to take poop #1 as soon as I got up. Then got dressed, ate a banana and a cliff bar with some water, triple checked that I have everything together, packed up and went out the door. Stopped at the gas station and got a large, mostly un-sweet ice tea and drove downtown while I ate a 2nd bar and banana. 

I was parked in the parking garage at about 6:15 am. Garage is attached to the JW Marriott by a skybridge and since I had plenty of time, and a warm place to hide out, I went over there where I proceeded to destroy one of the common area bathrooms. Nice and warm, no lines to wait in, good place to be. Hung around the 2nd floor lounge, sent some messages here, finished off my tea, etc until meeting @gruecd@SteelCurtain and their companions in the lobby about 7:30ish where we proceeded to walk over to the start area. 

It's chilly to start but not bad. As SC mentioned, we were there a little extra early but not too bad. Hung out, stretched some, chatted with a couple of fellow runners and then was greeted with a pleasant surprise - Troy, the guy that paced my HM a month or so ago was actually pacing the 3:40 group today. He was originally planning to race it but had some issue and decided to pace this instead. He's really good at the pacing thing, IMO, so it was nice to have a known commodity there. 

I'm in Wave 2 so there's a few minute wait. Also the 3:40 pacers are back in the corral a bit, which kind of proved to suck a little. We crossed the starting line at about 8:05 or so and we are off!

Since I don't have my run, this may end up being the shortest report I've ever done on the longest run I ever didn't do... but we will see. There's some natural breakpoints from the timing mats and some significant events that happened, so that's how it will have to go...

At the start of the race, I have on my compression short, running shorts, sleeveless shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, and a pair of gloves.I also am wearing my running belt with plenty of gummies and the 2 water bottles filled with water a pair of Nuun tablets.

So, here we go!

• Start to 10K - 52:29 (8:28 pace, allegedly, but really was right around 8:23)
As noted by a few people both on race day and in comments since, the 10k timing mat was off by a bit. The first mile was a little slow with all the congestion with the next 3 or 4 miles a few seconds fast but by the 10k mark, we were very consistently running 8:23 miles +/-. About the only bummer part of being in the group is that it was a sizable bunch and the pacers were not all that concerned with hitting tangents and there were enough people here that doing so was a bit tough. The first several miles has a number of turns and I was adding a bit of distance to each mile. Other than that, HR was in the 140's and everything was as it should be. Right before the start I ate a gummy and then at about mile 2 I started having a gummy every mile with a couple drinks. 

There really is nothing to exciting to report here, I was just out for a stroll with my friends, feeling good, avoiding the crowds at the drink stations since I have my own with me. Probably about  4 or 5 miles in I started taking a cup of water periodically and pouring it into my bottle. 

• 10K to 13.1 - 1:49:44 (8:23 pace)
All is still smooth. Race heads basically straight north for a bunch of this section with only a few turns. I'm still cruising along with a HR in the 140s maybe up to 150. Still just ticking off miles and enjoying the event. I removed my gloves through here and tucked them in the belt strap at some point. Considered tossing the tech shirt but didn't because it was still kind of cold. By the end of this I had put one glove back on, namely the left one that I would hold the bottle in as I poured the water in. 

The only other thing to report here is that as we neared the timing mat, I could tell that my right sock had slipped just a little and I was starting to get a blister. Annoyed me as I had zero issues with that on longer runs but I am a #BMF and I wasn't going to affect my day - and I didn't. I do have a healthy blister on that foot that actually tore but it never really bothered me in the race at all. 

• 13.1  to ~16 miles
The half-way mark is basically at the far north end of the route. After that there's a couple turns through a neighborhood and then you come out on a road that is in the open and heading south. That's when the wind showed up. Kind of cold, very annoying, but what are you going to do? Troy, the pacer, actually got the group to bunch up a bit and to tuck in behind him and the other pacer to help break the wind for us. And we made a nice little pack running along. And we started picking off other racers at a steady clip.

Up through about 16 miles, my HR was still in the 150s and all was feeling great. I'm eating chews, having a drink now and then all is good. And then...

• ~16 miles to 30K - 2:36:00 (8:24 pace)
Using the HR readout on my watch and looking at the map, it was right at the 16 mile mark that I noted my HR was suddenly in the 170s. It shot up pretty fast in a short period of time. That corresponds with us hitting the headwind but I don't really know if it was that or something else. It kind of got my attention but I was still feeling pretty good. Just weird to see it. At that point I decided to shed the long sleeve tech shirt. Probably could/should? have done that sooner, not sure, but my hands were so cold I didn't want to. When I took it off, it actually felt pretty good without it. Probably should have dumped it sooner. After I took it off, my HR slowly came back down some and I remained with the pace group but my HR was still higher than I would have liked. 

So, we cross the 30K timing mat as we pass the Indianapolis Museum of Art and I'm still cruising along with the pace group. Even with the HR issues, I'm still feeling pretty confident in finishing with the group. 

• 30K to 21 miles
I stuck with the pace group until about this point. We hit mile 20 and I said out loud but for my own benefit, "FBG BMFs say the race starts now". And unfortunately it's also when I started to think I wasn't going to be able to hang with the group. From mile 20 to 21, I was actually starting to fall back from them just a bit. I was hoping that as I got to mile 20 and could start visualizing my favorite 10K route, that I could rebound a bit. But by the time I hit mile 21 the pace group was far enough ahead of me that I didn't think I'd catch them. But, I did the math and knew that I had a 4 minute cushion for #beatgrue and knew that I could finish before that time if nothing bad happened. 

• 21 miles to 23.2ish  
This section of the course is a long, lonely section if you don't have friends. I watched one rather cute blond totally collapse right in front of me as I was passing an aid station and told called out for someone to help her. I was actually passing people along this section even though my pace had slowed a little. The miles here were still sub 9 minutes - around 8:45, IIRC. Not really sure what my HR was, kind stopped caring about it.

The one bad part is that I pretty much stopped eating or drinking around here. Probably should have forced myself to choke down a cube or 2. Probably also should have grabbed a banana at the station a while back but "nothing new on race day". But overall I still was good. Just passed mile 23, you turn back onto Meridian Street and start to head south into downtown. This is a nice long, wide open section that you can see the Monument that basically represents the finish. It's 3 miles to the finish and a 2 mile straight stretch. 

As I crossed the bridge, which had a mountain of a tiny little hill, I looked at my watch - it said 3:14 and a few seconds. 30 minutes to run 3 miles exactly and #beatgrue. I knew I wasn't going to be picking up the pace, I was starting to hurt some but I knew that as long as my body didn't fall apart, I could muscle through 3 miles. I felt it in my bones. So, I went over that hill and toward the heart of downtown Indy...

• 23.2 to 24 miles
For the .8 tenths of a mile, every thing was great. I hurt, it sucked but I am trucking along and singing a little @ChiefD "Iggy is a BMF, Iggy is a BMF, Iggy is a BMF" and feeling good. Then, exactly even with the 24 mile marker, my left hamstring seized up, big time. I probably cried out a bit, and had to stop running for the first time. Some very nice lady who was walking the half and basically even with me asked if I needed a heat patch or anything. I declined, stretched my leg on the curb just a little and then started jogging to test it. I was terrified that I was in for a very long 2 miles.

But... things actually weren't bad. I kind of favored the left leg a little, took a little shorter strides and kept running. I still had more than plenty of time to get this done. Let's go, you BMF, a little cramp isn't going to stop you!

• 24 to 25 miles
With the shorter strides and grit of determination, I cruised through mile 25. Not quite as fast as I had gone in the first 24 miles but still fast enough to #beatgrue. And then I got almost exactly even with the 25 mile marker and my right leg did the exact same thing my left did one mile earlier. I had to stop for a moment. I stretched it just a bit but time was now of the essence. Before it actually quit hurting, I started jogging again determined to run through it, and it worked. It still hurt for a few steps but then the muscles relaxed and I was off. 

• 25 to 26.2 miles 
At this point I was definitely taking shorter strides but I was trying to do them as quickly as I could manage. The course turns right and goes for a block and then turns left back toward the start area. At this point there are a ton of screaming people. Lots calling out to me by name. Totally energizing and I'm trucking down the corridor. The 3:45 pacer passed me about the time I was restarting after leg cramp #2. I was determined to stay with him. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be enough since he started behind me so bib time it was a problem to have him ahead of me. But he was all alone, no one running with him. I did everything I could to stay with him.

As I'm heading toward the final turn there's a yell of "Let's go Iggy"... not Albert as is on my bib. I had been looking down at the ground, just concentrating on one step at a time, willing my legs to hold together for just a little bit longer. When I heard "Iggy" and looked up to see Grue and his buddy standing there and Grue with a huge grin willing me on, I was overcome with more emotion than you can imagine and I wasn't stopping. 

Unfortunately as I'm turning the corner and passing the 26 mile marker, my watch says 3:44. I know I'm not covering .2 in under a minute, but I'm going to do it as fast as I can. And I dig as deep as I can. As I'm nearing the finish line, I feel both legs wanting to cramp, but I refuse to let them. I had to be taking the fastest baby steps anyone ever did see but I did see a guy in the middle snapping photos and I made an effort to try to look as dignified as I could as I approached the finish. 

I crossed the line, pushed the stop button on my watch and looked down to see 3:46:02. So freaking close to #beatgrue, but not quite enough to pull it off. I have never been so happy and so sad at the same time in my life. 

After crossing the line and walking a few steps, my legs felt like they were going to seize up. I had to stop and try to stretch a bit. A very nice older man that was volunteering got me one of the Mylar blanket things and a bottle a water and asked if I needed medical attention. I said nope, downed the water, stretched a bit and hobbled my way through the finish area seeing grue again, who very heartily congratulated me. I collected a chocolate milk and a banana and downed them, made my way over to pick up my "indy ultrathon" shirt and bonus medal for running the half a month ago and not running the full on Saturday.

Grue offered up his shower, I grabbed my clothes from my car, hobbled over to the JW and had the greatest shower ever had. And then my world came crashing to a halt as I got out, put on my pants and then while putting on my watch tried to pull up the run to realize I never clicked the save button. Not sure if I accidentally hit the discard button when trying not to fall over or if it just "goes away" if you don't save fast enough. 

So, semi-official results for the run I didn't do:

3:45:58! #beatgrue_failure... missed it by :thatmuch:

AG: 156 out of 392

Men: 1188 out of 2848

Overall: 1675 out of 4957

On the one hand, I am happy. I finished, I felt I had the right plan, the right pace, and the ability to do it. The wind hurt some on the back. And then I think nutrition got me just enough to make me miss out on #beatgrue. I felt I did a pretty good job taking in calories but I needed to more liberally use the Nuun electrolyte tablets and/or eat a banana or some gatorade or something. So freaking close! But still very happy to have done it and to feel like I did it "pretty good". 

Not 100% satisfied but I can't cry over spilled milk or what "could have been". Right now I'm trying to think of all the positives and not on that one little thing I missed out on - per Athlinks.com, I missed his time by 17 lousy, miserable, stinking seconds. But I really wanted under 3:45 so I'm really crying over 59 seconds, but who's counting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it still ended up being a book. Feel free to skim...

Important part is right here and not up there: Thank you to everyone in this thread. You guys rock. I'm a pig-headed fool at times that ignores the best of advice but it mostly works out. This year long, life altering journey has been a blast and I don't think I'd still be trudging along if it weren't for this community. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for letting me tag along in here. 

And some of you may be inclined to ask, "what's next?" or "when's the next one?"

Not sure about either - supposed to run a 5k this coming Saturday with a friend and his son. Not sure if I'll go for an easy run, be dumb and run too hard or just skip it. Still need a day or 2 to see how much of an idiot I am. 

After that, I'd say the odds of me doing another marathon are pretty good. Not sure if it will be something like Carmel or if I would wait and do the Monumental again next fall. We'll see. I did already sign up for the Indy Mini the first weekend in May. Carmel is April 4th. I really want to race the mini in May and see how well I can do in it. Also, for the Monumental I will have just turned 50 so I get bumped up an age group...

And some of you may be inclined to ask, "what's next?" or "when's the next one?"

Not sure about either - supposed to run a 5k this coming Saturday with a friend and his son. Not sure if I'll go for an easy run, be dumb and run too hard or just skip it. Still need a day or 2 to see how much of an idiot I am. 

After that, I'd say the odds of me doing another marathon are pretty good. Not sure if it will be something like Carmel or if I would wait and do the Monumental again next fall. We'll see. I did already sign up for the Indy Mini the first weekend in May. Carmel is April 4th. I really want to race the mini in May and see how well I can do in it. Also, for the Monumental I will have just turned 50 so I get bumped up an age group...
No rush in figuring out what's next. Enjoy this one. The back end of your first marathon will never happen again. 

@The Iguana - loved reading the report.  I obviously have no experience running the thing, but it's clear you are a crazyMF for attempting it and a BMF for completing it the way you did!

It's clear that it is something you will remember forever and your enthusiasm for the sport is undeniable.

Really hoping you get the data off your watch, but if not, nothing changes the fact you did it!!

@The Iguana great writeup, great work and great job fighting through the finish.  That feeling of accomplishment mixed with opportunity for improvement will fuel you on.  Cramping could’ve been from fuel, the cold or all things running far. Take a look at the total calories you took in for future reference, chews and nuun are pretty light if I recall.  

Get some rest and I hope the feeling of accomplishment grows as well as the fire to do it again. 

Too tired right now to write a race report (slept like #### the last two nights), but I did want to pop in and thank you guys for all the support. I thought of you often while I was out there running.

Short version - obviously happy with the PR, but I still think I can go faster. I don’t know if it was the wind or if I just overestimated my fitness or what, but I’m not thrilled with my second-half split.
You're a perfectionist, highly motivated. 

I don't know if you're ever going to be completely happy with a race, it's our nature to find things we can improve. 

But you absolutely crushed it. 

As I'm heading toward the final turn there's a yell of "Let's go Iggy"... not Albert as is on my bib. I had been looking down at the ground, just concentrating on one step at a time, willing my legs to hold together for just a little bit longer. When I heard "Iggy" and looked up to see Grue and his buddy standing there and Grue with a huge grin willing me on, I was overcome with more emotion than you can imagine and I wasn't stopping. 
Chills reading this part.

It's cold outside and it's the only part I read of that novel, so I meant that literally.

Hot Cider Hustle 5K

I usually don't do tune up races, but given how well this cycle has gone and that I got to the end of it not completely beaten up I thought it'd be a good opportunity to go through the prep and execution of a race. Figure out what works, what doesn't, and get my timing down.

Only that's not at all what happened. We were under the table sometime after Tool melted our faces off Wednesday night and apparently a buddy of mine convinced me to sign up. At least that's what I pieced together when I woke up Thursday morning and saw the email confirming registration. #### me, what was I thinking, where's the advil.

So, let's make the most of it. What have I done lately? What do I have coming up? Well, part of the reason you probably signed up was from a lethal combo of runner's high and concert high after doing a successful 8+ mile pace run on the half marathon course the day before. There isn't much quality left on the schedule and the weather's going to #### Monday. So, treat the next 48 hours how you intend to treat those same 48 hours before the real thing, hope the hangover subsides by then, BMF, then hopefully you have enough energy for one more sorta long run Sunday. And if you do all of that then you can spin that it was all part of the plan and not just mid-week 1 am beer muscles.

Slogged through a difficult to stay engaged 30 minute lift in which I was happy I didn't lose my balance and fall over, then 40 minutes in a mid-30's "rain" - or whatever that was, some mildly productive honey-do tasks, then a nice long nap with our youngest. Carb loaded pasts for dinner after not eating much all day. No, I don't need carbs for a 5K, but I wanted to see how my body handled it by Saturday morning. Friday was much more normal and probably because it was a work day. Had all of my usual day-before-race food, including the boring chicken and rice dinner, and also tested my hand at actually doing a day-before-racing shakeout run (maybe those 10K'ers do know what they're talking about).

Stomach wasn't too happy Friday night, but I assumed that was Wednesday finally running its course and that it was all be evacuated before dawn. And boy did it. One other logistical narrative I pieced together - a lot of similarities between this race and the half in 2 weeks. Both races start at 9 am and have parking that's at least a half mile from the start. It's uncomfortably cold Saturday morning, so this is a perfect opportunity to practice the timing of the pre-race logistics amidst those sort of conditions.

(everything all laid out and prepped the night before)

6:15 alarm

6:23 hit keurig button, so coffee is cooled enough when I am done with...

6:24 eroticism

6:37 grab coffee, banana, and hard boiled egg then sit on the couch

Next half hour or so scroll around on the phone, spending the vast majority of that time gleefully checking in on others getting ready to RF:DBAP (what a morning, huh?)

7:10 ####

7:15 shower

7:20 #### again, cause damn

7:30 grab pre-packed bag, get in the car, start raceday playlist (new Sturgil beginning-to-end to get things started), and eat an apple

7:45 arrival, walk to pick up bib - compression socks, shorts, wind pants, compression tank, cold gear, hooded sweat shirt, head band, winter hat, and gloves (#### it's cold)

8:05 return from bib pick-up and get warm again, munch on some pretzels

8:20 get ready to start warm-up, remove wind pants, hooded sweat shirt, and winter hat then jog to porto potties (#### it's still cold)

8:24 #### #3

8:35 final return to the car then decide what to wear to race, decide to remove the cold gear top and put the hoodie back on (for now). I'll dump it at the line right before the gun and hope it's still there after.

8:45 once warm again do the final half mile jog to the line, dum dum hanging out of my mouth. Once finding a spot at the front I'm glad I chose something with a hood, keeping that wind off of my body neck-up made the short wait tolerable

8:59:30 when they announced 30 seconds to start I ripped the hoodie off and dumped it at the line, pretty sure I'm the only one here starting in a tank top - whatever. The beginning was uncomfortable, as I expected, but my clothing choice was confirmed correct less than a mile in. The cold actually felt kinda good on my exposed arms.

The actual race

2 young guys took off a little too brisk for me, but I kept them in striking distance just in case they both hit a wall. Breathing was difficult in those conditions (7 degrees colder than anything I'd done prior), but my body felt great. While I didn't have a rabbit I was happy to see that someone was using me as a rabbit, ensured I didn't take the foot off the gas when things got hard. I glided down the decline tilts and hammered up the incline tilts. Mile 1 - 5:25, mile 2 - 5:34. As we turned into mile 3 there was a more pronounced tilt and this would indicate how much I had left. I could feel him trying to surge by me, but I sustained pace well enough during that stretch to stay in 3rd. Finally at mile 2.5 he passed me and I went with him, staying right on his hip. But as I mentioned in my briefing Saturday about a quarter mile later I got light headed and felt the urge to vomit - you're at your mHR and he's pulling away. Let it go, man. I backed off a nudge just to get things back under control then as we hit the final 400 (most of which was on a track) I had enough energy to sprint it in. Not enough to catch back up to him, but he saw me coming at the final curve and I noticed he surged one last time, just to be sure. Damn, kids.

Official time - 17:18, 4th overall, 1st in age group

And I still had enough left in me to cover 12.7 miles in my final hour and a half "long" training run Sunday. The path from 'what the #### am I thinking' to successful navigation of the final real training week. Ended up topping 50 miles each of the last 5 weeks, each one a little faster than the week prior. And now I both feel good about my actual raceday plan and what to do should it be colder than expected. But not like what's coming the next 3 days. If I can quality Tuesday I will, but that may get snowed out. Looks like things should clear enough for one more good one Thursday or Friday regardless. I'm gonna break an hour twenty in this thing...or bonk trying.

a pleasant surprise - Troy, the guy that paced my HM a month or so ago was actually pacing the 3:40 group today. He was originally planning to race it but had some issue and decided to pace this instead. He's really good at the pacing thing, IMO, so it was nice to have a known commodity there. 

This is pretty awesome. A good omen and a good way to feel comfortable right out of the gate.  :thumbup:  

Troy, the pacer, actually got the group to bunch up a bit and to tuck in behind him and the other pacer to help break the wind for us. And we made a nice little pack running along. And we started picking off other racers at a steady clip.

Troy earned his money here. Smart move by him and pretty awesome by him to think of all you runners like that. 

I said out loud but for my own benefit, "FBG BMFs say the race starts now". And unfortunately it's also when I started to think I wasn't going to be able to hang with the group. From mile 20 to 21, I was actually starting to fall back from them just a bit. I was hoping that as I got to mile 20 and could start visualizing my favorite 10K route, that I could rebound a bit. But by the time I hit mile 21 the pace group was far enough ahead of me that I didn't think I'd catch them.

Good on you here to realize this and not start to push it to stay with them. That's some smart execution there.

I hurt, it sucked but I am trucking along and singing a little @ChiefD "Iggy is a BMF, Iggy is a BMF, Iggy is a BMF" and feeling good.

:lol: . So awesome. 

But... things actually weren't bad. I kind of favored the left leg a little, took a little shorter strides and kept running. I still had more than plenty of time to get this done. Let's go, you BMF, a little cramp isn't going to stop you!

• 24 to 25 miles
With the shorter strides and grit of determination, I cruised through mile 25. Not quite as fast as I had gone in the first 24 miles but still fast enough to #beatgrue. And then I got almost exactly even with the 25 mile marker and my right leg did the exact same thing my left did one mile earlier. I had to stop for a moment. I stretched it just a bit but time was now of the essence. Before it actually quit hurting, I started jogging again determined to run through it, and it worked. It still hurt for a few steps but then the muscles relaxed and I was off. 

• 25 to 26.2 miles 
At this point I was definitely taking shorter strides but I was trying to do them as quickly as I could manage. The course turns right and goes for a block and then turns left back toward the start area. At this point there are a ton of screaming people. Lots calling out to me by name. Totally energizing and I'm trucking down the corridor. The 3:45 pacer passed me about the time I was restarting after leg cramp #2. I was determined to stay with him. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be enough since he started behind me so bib time it was a problem to have him ahead of me. But he was all alone, no one running with him. I did everything I could to stay with him.

Gut check time here, and you passed with flying colors. Kudos to you for actually stopping for a sec to try and keep the legs loose so you can continue.  :thumbup:

So great. Love this!!

So freaking close to #beatgrue, but not quite enough to pull it off. I have never been so happy and so sad at the same time in my life. 

Man, we ALL can understand this sentiment. But damn, you ran a great race.  :headbang:

Grue offered up his shower, I grabbed my clothes from my car, hobbled over to the JW and had the greatest shower ever had. And then my world came crashing to a halt as I got out, put on my pants and then while putting on my watch tried to pull up the run to realize I never clicked the save button. Not sure if I accidentally hit the discard button when trying not to fall over or if it just "goes away" if you don't save fast enough. 

So, semi-official results for the run I didn't do:

3:45:58! #beatgrue_failure... missed it by :thatmuch:

AG: 156 out of 392

Men: 1188 out of 2848

Overall: 1675 out of 4957

On the one hand, I am happy. I finished, I felt I had the right plan, the right pace, and the ability to do it. The wind hurt some on the back. And then I think nutrition got me just enough to make me miss out on #beatgrue. I felt I did a pretty good job taking in calories but I needed to more liberally use the Nuun electrolyte tablets and/or eat a banana or some gatorade or something. So freaking close! But still very happy to have done it and to feel like I did it "pretty good". 

Not 100% satisfied but I can't cry over spilled milk or what "could have been". Right now I'm trying to think of all the positives and not on that one little thing I missed out on - per Athlinks.com, I missed his time by 17 lousy, miserable, stinking seconds. But I really wanted under 3:45 so I'm really crying over 59 seconds, but who's counting?

Fuel for your next marathon. For you to hit under 3:46 on your first one, with all the unknowns, says a lot about you and the strides you have made over a year.

Think about where you were a year ago. And what you have accomplished in that time period. A marathoner, dude!! And a good one at that. Nowhere to go but up for you, my friend. So happy for you!!

@The Iguana, I'm sure you've tried all this already, but you use a Garmin, right?  I think I have forgotten to save an activity before and it actually synced when I opened the Garmin app.  I think you only lose the activity if you 'discard' it.  If you do nothing, I think it stays on the watch.  Can't be certain of this.

Also you might be able to find it if you scroll down from your home screen to "last activity" and select that.  

You're dealing with it well, though.  I'd be spitting fire if I didn't get my first marathon into Strava.  

Great race you ran.  You may not have #beatGrue, but you beat a bunch of us guys here and your first marathon is now faster than my PR!  Way to #BMF it.  Congrats.

@The Iguana - first, congrats on your first marathon.  You were a good sport about all the ribbing about not actually running a marathon since it wasn't up on strava.  That being said, you did amazing and should be incredibly proud of what you accomplished.  And now you have a baseline to work off of for marathon #2. 

In regards to the 5K this weekend, DO NOT RACE IT.  You are risking injury. A marathon is a brutal on the body and your joints, tendons, and muscles are all damaged and need time to heal.  You will likely feel almost 100% later this week, however, your muscles will still have tiny tears in them, your tendons will be weakened, the joints will still be inflamed even if you can't feel it.  Your body is weakened and if you race it and run hard, you have a much greater likelihood of getting hurt.  Trust me on this.  Just for example, I'm running a turkey trot on Thanksgiving and I'm not sure if I'll race it because of how close it is to the marathon.  A silly 5K isn't worth being on the shelf for a couple months.  Be smart.

SteelCurtain said:
@The Iguana - first, congrats on your first marathon.  You were a good sport about all the ribbing about not actually running a marathon since it wasn't up on strava.  That being said, you did amazing and should be incredibly proud of what you accomplished.  And now you have a baseline to work off of for marathon #2. 

In regards to the 5K this weekend, DO NOT RACE IT.  You are risking injury. A marathon is a brutal on the body and your joints, tendons, and muscles are all damaged and need time to heal.  You will likely feel almost 100% later this week, however, your muscles will still have tiny tears in them, your tendons will be weakened, the joints will still be inflamed even if you can't feel it.  Your body is weakened and if you race it and run hard, you have a much greater likelihood of getting hurt.  Trust me on this.  Just for example, I'm running a turkey trot on Thanksgiving and I'm not sure if I'll race it because of how close it is to the marathon.  A silly 5K isn't worth being on the shelf for a couple months.  Be smart.
Yep, general rule - one day of recovery for every mile raced. I've seen enough evidence to believe the post marathon fitness boost is real, but it'd be in the form of a Thanksgiving or first week of December sort of race. 

Yeah, today, I'm pretty convinced that even just running the 5k on Saturday is unlikely. For as good as I felt yesterday, I knew the "2nd day" would be a real test. I'm still fine today but definitely feeling it. I'm smart enough to listen in this case, IMO! 

Yeah, today, I'm pretty convinced that even just running the 5k on Saturday is unlikely. For as good as I felt yesterday, I knew the "2nd day" would be a real test. I'm still fine today but definitely feeling it. I'm smart enough to listen in this case, IMO! 
Here's what I would do. Bag the 5k and run a HM in two weeks. 

Might not be the smartest thing but I wanted one long run this weekend after the HM. Yesterday was not happening. Was walking like an old man most of Saturday, felt better yesterday. 

Also wanted to cheese it up a little on the run this morning for Veterans Day. So ran 10.1 for the 101st, 8.2 for the 82nd Soldiers I was fortunate to serve amongst. Finished with a short bit for the unnumbered Army Material Command (my unit since 2015, along with my civilian career so far). 

Kept it pretty easy and felt solid.

@The Iguana, I'm really  impressed with your (reputed) marathon.  I'll admit to having doubts about how it would go, given the light training base.  I do think a couple of late, quality runs helped a lot, though.  The limitation for you late in the race wasn't fatigue, muscle weakness, or mental attitude ...it was just the hard-to-control muscle cramping.  So that's very encouraging for your next marathon.  And if it's any consolation, my first marathon 12+ years ago was a 3:46:38.  Then again, if that gets age-adjusted to where you're at, I think it's about a 3:44.   :rolleyes:

Uh...hey @MAC_32 ...great read and race (damn you are fast!)...but two super important questions:

1. Flavor of the dum dum?
  2. Did you ever get your hoodie back?
Cherry - use the mediocre ones (cotton candy, peach, mango, and wildcard) on the easier runs, something in between (cream soda, root beer, grape, scutterbotch) for the moderate runs, and save the good ones (blue raspberry, strawberry, watermelon, cherry) for the hard runs.

Yep, it was right where I left it. Small'ish race and of the people there if I didn't know who they were I probably knew someone who knew someone. Not that runners are the thieving types (we aren't), but definitely not this crowd. The wife of our head XC coach was mortified when she saw me after in just a tank top as she waited for her daughters to finish. I couldn't help but laugh.

The wife of our head XC coach was mortified   :wub: when she saw me after in just a tank top as she waited for her daughters to finish. I couldn't help but laugh.  smile, and then nod knowingly, as if to acknowledge that I am indeed a prime species of man capable of superhuman feats, yet completely untouchable to her unspoken lust for my chiseled Ohio #BMFery.

FYP. 

The wife of our head XC coach was mortified   :wub: when she saw me after in just a tank top as she waited for her daughters to finish. I couldn't help but laugh.  smile, and then nod knowingly, as if to acknowledge that I am indeed a prime species of man capable of superhuman feats, yet completely untouchable to her unspoken lust for my chiseled Ohio #BMFery.

SO LA DI ####### DA

FYP.

@MAC_32 looks so badass in these photos, I clearly need some kind of schtick to give me some semblance of coolness.  

Maybe I'll run with a shovel.  

No, wait, @ChiefD already owns that one.

I'll come up with something.

Run in a diaper, maybe?  Both unique and functional (for me)!

Nothing had prepared me for this week or so of learning you run  holding a phone.

Then you double down with wires and triple down with an effing dumdum. And still look like you can’t wait to destroy those kids at the start line.

I am in awe sir. 
:lmao:

Nothing had prepared me for this week or so of learning you run  holding a phone.

Then you double down with wires and triple down with an effing dumdum. And still look like you can’t wait to destroy those kids at the start line.

I am in awe sir. 
WITHOUT A GLOVE!

Users who are viewing this thread