What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Anyone running this morning?

Heading out soon for hopefully an easy 10 miler. Goal is to keep HR around 150 or lower. For some reason this is hard for me on early morning runs.  Have a good morning gents.
My motivation is zero.  So instead of running, I’ve justified doing some things around the house and I’ll run later......hopefully.

Nope. I usually run shirtless no matter the temps. Just shorts, shoes, headband, and gloves, nothing else. No liners or drawers either. But anything below 60, and I wear gloves. Was 48 on Monday or Wednesday, and I got some crazy looks from people in the neighborhood because I was shirtless. Started out with a long sleeve but was burning up half a mile in and dumped it. I’ve come a long way, fellas.
What @JShare87 types, and what I see in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heading out soon for hopefully an easy 10 miler. Goal is to keep HR around 150 or lower. For some reason this is hard for me on early morning runs.  Have a good morning gents.
I'm going out to run 8 to 10 for the fun of it shortly... 

I’m trying the MAF thing - 6+ hilly miles today.  Had to go so damn slow and then on some bigger hills walk.  I’m going to stick with it because I have no reason not to but I didn’t enjoy it.  
That was one of my favorite things with MAF. hit the hills, end up hiking most of it. I need to get back on it.

I think I am, but it's pouring here. Supposed to stop in an hour so maybe. 

I wanted to go long today but I'm a poosay. 

FYP.

With the Vegas HM behind me now, I am going to try to devise a routine which includes some strength work.  Just need to figure out the right balance of running vs strength.
I'm actually trying to figure out the same thing. Started this week with some strength stuff. I know it is good for me but it hurts a little. 

That was one of my favorite things with MAF. hit the hills, end up hiking most of it. I need to get back on it.

I think I am, but it's pouring here. Supposed to stop in an hour so maybe. 

I wanted to go long today but I'm a poosay. 
Obviously as I’ve discussed, I love hiking but wanted to run - I was having the internal dialogue with myself and realized it was kind of a macho bull#### thing in my head.  Literally no one cares if I’m running slower or stop and hike.  Finally I said screw it and just stuck to the plan and enjoyed being outdoors.

Can you make the rain go faster please?

Alright BMFers,

Need some advice. Tomorrow's run has the potential to be incredibly awesome or spectacularly awful if I blow up with my recreational jogger pacer.

I'm trying to narrow down which injury I can fake that will be believable and give me an excuse to stop running.

-- Pulled hammy -- This one is obvious. I'm just worried he might try and massage the area and that could end up awkward

-- Knee pain -- This one is also pretty easy and there's no way he would be able to tell my knee is just fine. But it just seems so obvious.

-- Falling -- This is dramatic but could do the trick. I can get my foot stuck on something. However, there's potential for real injury here. I need to be careful

-- Puking -- When he's not looking, I can probably get a finger back in my throat and @pbm107 the race (just not at the end). He's not gonna make me keep running if I do that, is he?

-- Other?

Open to ideas. TIA, happy store hopping Saturday all.

Alright BMFers,

Need some advice. Tomorrow's run has the potential to be incredibly awesome or spectacularly awful if I blow up with my recreational jogger pacer.

I'm trying to narrow down which injury I can fake that will be believable and give me an excuse to stop running.

-- Pulled hammy -- This one is obvious. I'm just worried he might try and massage the area and that could end up awkward

-- Knee pain -- This one is also pretty easy and there's no way he would be able to tell my knee is just fine. But it just seems so obvious.

-- Falling -- This is dramatic but could do the trick. I can get my foot stuck on something. However, there's potential for real injury here. I need to be careful

-- Puking -- When he's not looking, I can probably get a finger back in my throat and @pbm107 the race (just not at the end). He's not gonna make me keep running if I do that, is he?

-- Other?

He’s going to keep throwing marshmallows at you until you finish.  Your only hope is a warm summer day in late November. 

Have your wife dressed incognito at 10k. If you're toast give her the sign and have her give you the Gilloly treatment. 

Would love to but my knee is still shot. Needs at least the weekend, hoping it’ll be solid for Monday or Tuesday morning.  

usually I’d be a lazy fat slob on a Saturday. Hit the gym and lifted instead. The gym on Saturday sucks because it’s insanely packed with lots of big meaty dudes checking out their six packs in the mirror. Much prefer my usual weekday mornings at 5am, when it’s me and a bunch of old ladies. 

I'm actually trying to figure out the same thing. Started this week with some strength stuff. I know it is good for me but it hurts a little. 
Funny thing. I feel so much better after lifting than I do after anything not involving my wife. But I don't do it enough (either really... 😞)

One benefit of running - being asked by every doctor and nurse while I'm hooked up to the machine about my HR. apparently 42 while you're "overweight" gets their attention. 

Obviously as I’ve discussed, I love hiking but wanted to run - I was having the internal dialogue with myself and realized it was kind of a macho bull#### thing in my head.  Literally no one cares if I’m running slower or stop and hike.  Finally I said screw it and just stuck to the plan and enjoyed being outdoors.

Can you make the rain go faster please?
It's probably just a mindset thing for me. I enjoy hiking but haven't considered it as part of training (frankly that's wrong, but it's mindset). But when I would hit the hills to stay under MAF, I knew I was training and just enjoyed it. 

If I ever do an ultra, I'll start hiking a lot as a key part of training.

#projectcadence

I did 4 miles at 169 cadence...up from my usual 162.  My legs were fried from yesterday's workout. Which didnt do me any favors...

I downloaded a metronome app on my phone and set it to 170.  It definitely feels weird increasing the step rate, but I can 100% see how this will reduce injury occurrences.  I'm sure it's a combination of yesterday's workout and the change in cadence, but my muscles are clearly not used to or in shape for this style yet.

However, my Garmin performance started at +3 and actually got to a +5 ( @JShare87  :coffee:  ) before going down to zero at the end.

I could also tell that my form was forced to be better and I was more vertical and I was landing midfoot throughout..though I realize my arch support sucks for what I need.

I will keep the 170 rate for a couple weeks and then reassess if I want to move higher.

ETA - one thing I have to watch out for is that I found myself almost trying to "stomp" my feet to the beats instead of running softly.  That happened a few times.

Nope.  I’ve decided to lay off the running until my knee is better.  Hopefully it’ll be for just a couple of weeks.  I’ve been doing some sort of daily strength work, and I’ll bring my bike in soon and put it on the trainer.  But I have no need to push things right now, so I’ll focus on healing up.
my knee is in bad shape too.  Good news is that it's not the same old same old calf issue. Bad news is that it is slow to heal.   Minor strains right behind the knee and soreness on the lateral part of the kneecap.

#projectcadence

I did 4 miles at 169 cadence...up from my usual 162.  My legs were fried from yesterday's workout. Which didnt do me any favors...

I downloaded a metronome app on my phone and set it to 170.  It definitely feels weird increasing the step rate, but I can 100% see how this will reduce injury occurrences.  I'm sure it's a combination of yesterday's workout and the change in cadence, but my muscles are clearly not used to or in shape for this style yet.

However, my Garmin performance started at +3 and actually got to a +5 ( @JShare87  :coffee:  ) before going down to zero at the end.

I could also tell that my form was forced to be better and I was more vertical and I was landing midfoot throughout..though I realize my arch support sucks for what I need.

I will keep the 170 rate for a couple weeks and then reassess if I want to move higher.

ETA - one thing I have to watch out for is that I found myself almost trying to "stomp" my feet to the beats instead of running softly.  That happened a few times.
I've been down this path too.  Roll those quads - they will not be used to this. 

Alright BMFers,

-- Other?

This is easy - just #### yourself 

#projectcadence

I was meaning to ask: Tell us about your footstrike.  Heel strike?  Midfoot?  Leaning toward heavy/stompish or generally light on your feet?  Just wondering if the footstrike might contribute to the stride issues.

Also, a thought: Do you have a track nearby where you could run right on a lane line instead of in a lane to see how straight and true your stride is?

Alright BMFers,

-- Other?

Since you'll already be breathing heavy, gasp a "slow it down, tiger" in Polish.  He probably hears that a lot at home.

I was meaning to ask: Tell us about your footstrike.  Heel strike?  Midfoot?  Leaning toward heavy/stompish or generally light on your feet?  Just wondering if the footstrike might contribute to the stride issues.

Also, a thought: Do you have a track nearby where you could run right on a lane line instead of in a lane to see how straight and true your stride is?
Before today I would have said my natural strike (that I have been running with) was some sort of middle range of heel and mid foot.  After today, I can say that it was much heavier on the heel now that I know what the midfoot strike feels like.  Most of todays run was midfoot and some forefoot...the forefoot strikes did not feel good.

I definitely get heavy landings when I get tired and that may be my default if Im not concentrating on it.

I do have a HS and middle school close by.  Would the goal be to run right on the line?  (If so, I supinate so that would seem like a lot of crisscrossing of my feet)

Before today I would have said my natural strike (that I have been running with) was some sort of middle range of heel and mid foot.  After today, I can say that it was much heavier on the heel now that I know what the midfoot strike feels like.  Most of todays run was midfoot and some forefoot...the forefoot strikes did not feel good.

I definitely get heavy landings when I get tired and that may be my default if Im not concentrating on it.

I do have a HS and middle school close by.  Would the goal be to run right on the line?  (If so, I supinate so that would seem like a lot of crisscrossing of my feet)
I'd say many of us get a heavier, and heel-striking, landing as we tire.  Strength work can help with that.  I believe a lot of hill training helped with that in my recent training cycle.  If you have hills nearby (the anti- @JShare87), that would be a way to build strength and get you onto the forefoot.  But as discussed a short time back, a midfoot landing is fine, and a heel strike might not be bad if the leg isn't overreaching.

As to the track, I don't running right on the line would be good as you'd be stepping in just a bit to hit the line.  Maybe try running with the left foot (and, then, the right foot) on the line with the other foot landing naturally in the lane to see if you're comfortably maintaining a good line.  I.e., try it, and see what you learn.  A quick trial might suffice.

Nailed the workout this morning. 10.2 miles right at 150HR. But damn, I'm slow. Pace of 11:14. This puts me in the general aerobic/endurance zone in Pfitzinger's heart rate training zones. Which is right where I wanted to be.

Then, the last farmers market of the season. Scored some nice potatoes for Thanksgiving, fresh apples, carrots, lettuce, red onions, and some dinner rolls. Son's birthday today, so hit the grocery store for chicken legs and catfish. (his choice for his birthday dinner)

Gonna deep fry some of my famous chicken and catfish, served with mashed potatoes and ceaser's salad. Also gonna serve the rolls from the Farmers Market. Also baked him an apple pie to boot.

Done raking leaves for now - watching some college football on the patio drinking a cold beer on a nice and sunny 48 degree day. Love fall. Booyah boys!

:headbang:

Nailed the workout this morning. 10.2 miles right at 150HR. But damn, I'm slow. Pace of 11:14. This puts me in the general aerobic/endurance zone in Pfitzinger's heart rate training zones. Which is right where I wanted to be.

Then, the last farmers market of the season. Scored some nice potatoes for Thanksgiving, fresh apples, carrots, lettuce, red onions, and some dinner rolls. Son's birthday today, so hit the grocery store for chicken legs and catfish. (his choice for his birthday dinner)

Gonna deep fry some of my famous chicken and catfish, served with mashed potatoes and ceaser's salad. Also gonna serve the rolls from the Farmers Market. Also baked him an apple pie to boot.

Done raking leaves for now - watching some college football on the patio drinking a cold beer on a nice and sunny 48 degree day. Love fall. Booyah boys!

:headbang:
Saw yours on Strava, nice work.

I did the 18K (11mi) version of a local trail loop.  Butt and hip were increasingly sore through the run, and it's so clear I lost fitness over the last month.  Snowy trail didn't help, but I found myself hiking some uphills I could run a ~month ago.

There was a disturbance in the force around 12K, so I found a well-elevated deadfall, returned some organic material to nature, and got back to it.  

Even though I was slow, and my butt/hip were painful, getting out on the trails did improve my mood.

Then to the grocery store.  Got all the components for TG this week, except for the bird itself.  Always a little tough finding a fresh turkey in Canada in late November.  Ingredients for two trays of stuffing (veg for the wife, non-veg for me), apple and cherry pies, veggies, and Idahoan mashed potatoes (my wife and I like the instant kind -- really).

I'm like 71 miles from hitting 1200 for the year... seems like it might as well be a bazillion right now. But was fun going out and doing 8 today at a decent clip, imo. 

I was contemplating the journey a little while out there. Was a fun trip down memory lane for the year. One part that was funny is that it was about 35 degrees out there tops. I was in my shorts, with a short sleeve and long sleeve tech shirts on... and I was almost too warm - well, other than my fingers that were pretty much numb most of the time. Wore some old fingerless cycling gloves I have. That wasn't working for me. 

ETA - had considered putting on my tights before going, which I totally would have to even think about running in this last year. 

Users who are viewing this thread