What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Feeling kinda pissed off that's there no racing right now.  Did a really solid 12-mile out-and-back today.  Split 45:25 (7:34/mile) for the "out" and 40:52 (6:49) for the "back."  Last mile was 6:30.

I feel like I could crush a half marathon right now.   :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling kinda pissed off that's there no racing right now.  Did a really solid 12-mile out-and-back today.  Split 45:25 (7:34/mile) for the "out" and 40:52 (6:49) for the "back."  Last mile was 6:30.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, guy! Save some of that for the team!

Can someone explain the appeal of a virtual race? 

I don't get it.  To pay $40 for a lousy shirt and a $2 medal to run on my regular route?  What am I missing?

10K: 36:59 (if marathon cancelled), 41:59 (if marathon not cancelled and a segment within the race counts), DNF (if marathon not cancelled and a segment within the race doesn't count), DQ (the most likely outcome because I am the equivalent to corona wrt successfully completing a 10K)
Need clarification from the rules committee.  Are we going to count segments within races (seems complicated), or does it need to be a standalone effort (probably easier)?

Saw a guy and small crew when I was running around 1030. Then my home office looks out on trail and I saw them a few more times early afternoon. Was out with daughter kickin soccer ball around 5, there they go again. Dude was 95 miles deep into 💯 running some segment back and forth many times. Can’t find anything on the webz, must have just felt like running. 

Saw a guy and small crew when I was running around 1030. Then my home office looks out on trail and I saw them a few more times early afternoon. Was out with daughter kickin soccer ball around 5, there they go again. Dude was 95 miles deep into 💯 running some segment back and forth many times. Can’t find anything on the webz, must have just felt like running. 
Wardian?

Can someone explain the appeal of a virtual race? 

I don't get it.  To pay $40 for a lousy shirt and a $2 medal to run on my regular route?  What am I missing?
I'm sure they are just trying to find someway to semi-appease people since there's no chance to refund money in a real way. The HM I am registered for sent an email offering 3 choices - 1 - run virtually and they will ship the shirt and medal to me and give a discount into next year's race; 2 - allow me to roll over the entry to next year; 3 - have the money donated to some charity and then get the same discount for 1 into next year. 

So anyone have any guesses on how much time having a crowd and competitors is worth?  I feel like that's the tricky part of this exercise.  At any rate, predictions for myself :

5K: 20:20

10K: 42:50

1mile: 5:59

Relevant training background:  Ran a couple of 5K's in just under 20 minutes in the fall, but have done no speed work since then.  Base should still be good as I was training for a half marathon next month that was just officially cancelled this week.  I've never raced a mile, but am not naturally fast, so I'm thinking running anything much under 6 flat will be tough.  Health wise my left foot has been giving me trouble for the last month or so and I'm currently getting over some sort of illness, so while I'm confident I will participate in the challenge, I'm not sure how many hard sessions I'll be able to handle before 5K week.
Never mind, found it...

Fifteen responses with estimated times (not sure if @JAA is going to adjust the calculator numbers)..plus our two esteemed captains, so seventeen.  I've written down the times and can ultimately send that to the captains.  June will be interesting, as every second will count in the mile race.

Still waiting on @pbm107; @SayWhat?; @El Floppo; @Alex P Keaton; @bushdocda; and mrs. gianmarco

...but still open to any that are interested!  Even those pesky interlopers (seriously).
I’m going run what Strava brung. I don’t really have any recent running numbers. 

Whaaa whaaaa cry me a BMF River

So anyone have any guesses on how much time having a crowd and competitors is worth?  I feel like that's the tricky part of this exercise.  At any rate, predictions for myself :

5K: 20:20

10K: 42:50

1mile: 5:59

Relevant training background:  Ran a couple of 5K's in just under 20 minutes in the fall, but have done no speed work since then.  Base should still be good as I was training for a half marathon next month that was just officially cancelled this week.  I've never raced a mile, but am not naturally fast, so I'm thinking running anything much under 6 flat will be tough.  Health wise my left foot has been giving me trouble for the last month or so and I'm currently getting over some sort of illness, so while I'm confident I will participate in the challenge, I'm not sure how many hard sessions I'll be able to handle before 5K week.
Sleeper’!!

Rules committee:  what are the rules/guidelines around the injury reporting?

Im looking at a probable to play, but if my coach was BillB I would likely be Questionable. 

thoughts?

So anyone have any guesses on how much time having a crowd and competitors is worth?  I feel like that's the tricky part of this exercise.
Agreed, and I think it’s worth a lot. I know if I was properly rested and ran an actual 10K race right now I could prob run 38:xx.  

But to go out and just time trial that #### on my own without even a running partner to push me? I don’t know, man...

Agreed, and I think it’s worth a lot. I know if I was properly rested and ran an actual 10K race right now I could prob run 38:xx.  

But to go out and just time trial that #### on my own without even a running partner to push me? I don’t know, man...
Yeah, my times are way too aggressive considering the circumstances.  I'd drop them all by a little bit.

Old school traditionalist with lots of knowledge of the origins of man and apes. Fairly angry sort, IMO. No nothing of his running capabilities.
Even in your lies some truth slips through.  That mythical community, Fort Wayne...   A fort!  Unconsciously you chose a name that was belligerent!  Where were you nurtured?

Sorry I am not up to this challenge you are planning. A year ago I would have been all over it but a lot has happened in the meantime. First I hurt myself moving some furniture in June which sidelined me for two months. Unfortunately during that time work started stressing me out big time with a number of episodes of chest pain. Finally in December with it not going away finally decided to see the doctor but they wanted me to go straight to the ER. I thought that was overkill but went as they suggested. After a ton of tests they all came back fine. Expectation is it is just work stress. They wanted me to take some pills which I don’t want to do. I have tried to handle things better but still have chest issues I can’t explain. I am not convinced it is all work stress. While all of this was going on I gained back all the weight I had lost when I started running again a few years ago and most of my fitness. I would be scared to try and push myself right now. I was actually a few weeks from retiring a year early to focus on my health when the stock market tanked.  May still be able to do so when we finally find out what is the bottom. I’m the meantime I started running outside again instead of at my gym and working from home is allowing me to run at lunch or after work in nicer weather so loving that. I am hoping that by fall I can get back some semblance of fitness. At least I am out there again. For awhile I could just not get motivated. So good luck with the challenge. I will be watching from afar. Looking forward to when things get back to normal for all of us and we can be participating in some real races again and hopefully come thru all of this healthy for ourselves, family, and friends.

I have a feeling I’ll be a huge exception to this rule. I generally train much better than I race. No anxiety or race day jitters, sign me up.

Rules committee:  what are the rules/guidelines around the injury reporting?

Im looking at a probable to play, but if my coach was BillB I would likely be Questionable. 

thoughts?
If each team has a DNF, then they'll cancel out (even if the time estimates differed).  If one team comes up short due to a DNF, then we could replace it with a doubling of the slowest time. Or since we're using average time, do we just exclude the DNF from the team average?  That could help, or that could hurt.  Team captains, what say ye?

If each team has a DNF, then they'll cancel out (even if the time estimates differed).  If one team comes up short due to a DNF, then we could replace it with a doubling of the slowest time. Or since we're using average time, do we just exclude the DNF from the team average?  That could help, or that could hurt.  Team captains, what say ye?
Why not just use average and trust that grue and juxt won't break all our knee caps?

Update: Team @Otis is locked and loaded and ready to compete with you dorks. While you guys are drafting 40 times and complaining about not having your adoring fans on the sidelines cheering you on, we've begun posting status updates in the real fitness thread, including a couple motivational training videos.  

Users who are viewing this thread