What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Oh, and I texted a couple from here, but I think I figured out my knee thing.  Which is crazy and stupid that I've missed time if this is all it was, but....

I naturally pronate my foot significantly.  When you look at me from behind, my ankles turn inward and I wear the inside of my soles substantially more than the outside.  Well, yesterday during my short run, I suddenly realized I was running on the outside of my feet.  And I couldn't remember if I always ran that way or not.  @pbm107 asked on Strava if the knee pain was better and it wasn't.  It came back again after 1 mile.  But I started running fast and it felt better.  When I slowed down, it came back and for the last tenth of a mile I had that epiphany and made sure I pronated my foot while running (which I think I've always done anyway).  And the pain went away. 

So today I made sure I ran with my feet pronated and I had no pain whatsoever.  We will see if it holds tomorrow and beyond, but if that's the case, then it's an easy fix.  I'm not sure why or how or when I ever changed how I was striking except I wonder if it was some of the new shoes I got that were forcing me to land on the outside.  I wore the Nike Zoomflys for the run today and they do feel like they want to push me toward an outside of the foot landing and I had to work against that. 

We shall see, but I'm almost happier (and pissed) about that than the 5K result itself.
Are all the running stores closed in MO? Now would be the perfect time to see an expert and test out a bunch of shoes.

ran  for 17 minutes today.  like... 17 in a row!   :lmao:   didn't track it, but it was probably 1.75 miles or so.  knees are so so, left ankle is a little pissed.  sure would like to build up to longer distances.  i just have to be sooooo careful with my joints.  i wasn't very winded and could have kept going, but pulled up, in the interest of not hurting myself.  this was in the middle of a 4.5 mile hike.  felt great!

Are all the running stores closed in MO? Now would be the perfect time to see an expert and test out a bunch of shoes.
Well, I know the Kinvaras I have work for me.  It's what I've always worn.  I wonder if the new Freedoms and the Zoomflys made me adjust.  Either way, I'll just pay attention to it as I run for now and then in the future, make sure the shoes I'm getting are neutral like the Kinvaras.

I just took care of that.
Awesome job! :clap:

And even better with the wife. Mine is getting into running a little, but I think that's mostly because she can't do Zumba right now and needs a mental break from "home schooling"

Last edited by a moderator:
DNF.

An overzealous 6:35 first mile with some terrible planning of the first two miles into a headwind.  Pulled the rip cord at about 1.3 miles and finished up mile 2.  Fat guy needs to ease up at the start he thinks.

Take two TBD.   :kicksrock:

You got this.  Start slower and smarter then crush it and take no prisoners. 

DNF.

An overzealous 6:35 first mile with some terrible planning of the first two miles into a headwind.  Pulled the rip cord at about 1.3 miles and finished up mile 2.  Fat guy needs to ease up at the start he thinks.

Take two TBD.   :kicksrock:

lol...you were running in the 5's for a decent portion.  No wonder you had to pull the plug.

Stick to your 22:30 plan.  Start at a 7:15 pace and then build from there.

Team member ....projected ....actual

Team Juxt: Cap'n Juxt..
MAC...............16:59
Dr. Z................20:20 .....19:45
SteelCurtain...21:20 .....20:00
tri-man............21:45
xulf..................21:50
Zasada............21:55
JAA..................22:10.....20:54
Iquana.............22:49
El Floppo.........23:00
AlexPKeaton...26:00
SFBayDuck......29:59 .....DNS

Team Grue: Cap'n Grue..18:10
pbm.................18:00 .....18:04
Harris...............19:45
Brony................20:25
Oz.....................21:40 .....20:07
bushdocta........21:30 .....20:19
gianmarco........22:00 .....22:14
mrs. gian..........22:30
Say What?........22:30
JShare..............24:00 .....DNS
ChiefD...............25:30
BassnBrew.......30:00 .....DNS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iNdndsjukRhTKheOtFjHyNwOQ4AntVLfMMepuWXbS1A/edit#gid=0

One dump in the books. Semi-productive.

Could be an issue later. Might have to carry some TP with me. If I don't use it I'll sell it on the corner after the 5K.

But man, I was thrilled with that knowing where I'm at in the scheme of things.  I'm disappointed because, with continued training, I know I was going to get well under 22 minutes.  Yet, only 5 seconds off the PR I set while in great shape? 
This is incredible.  @gianmarco, @The Iguana (the one who actually posts), and others here are so skilled.  That much time off, and that fast is awesome.  I know you're on the "dark side" but I can't help but be so pumped for you guys.  Great run.  Thrilled that you think you've got your knee figured out.  #BMFs, all around.

I'm up.

And without fail, I'm in my usual morning funk.  I don't want to run.  I don't want to race.  Why am I doing this, again?  I'm a terrible runner.  I'm running more volume now than I ever have, and I'm still slower than I was last year.  Why do I even bother?

Normally I don't check-in here until after my run and I get to work.  But with @gianmarco kicking-### overnight, some caffeine, and hopefully another ####, I can get motivated for this.

Already ran up and down the stairs a dozen times for neurostim.  Had a Picky Bar.  Now sipping Pepsi Zero.

In the meantime, go get 'em, @ChiefD!  I wish I was there to run a few meters in front of you, trailing a Home Depot gift-card on a string at the end of a stick.  Oh wait, you're on #TeamGrue.  Correction, I wish I was there to trail you, a few meters behind, with said gift card...

And without fail, I'm in my usual morning funk.  I don't want to run.  I don't want to race.  Why am I doing this, again?  I'm a terrible runner.  I'm running more volume now than I ever have, and I'm still slower than I was last year.  Why do I even bother?
All normal race day thoughts but as soon as you step outside and start your warmup your mindset will change. You’re going to surprise yourself today, you’ve been putting in the time.

Second dump in the books. Just about ready.
Same here. 

Queuing up some EDM on the playlist.  NO ECONOMICS PODCASTS TODAY, MFER!!!

First licks of sunlight on the horizon.  8C (46F).  Negligible wind out of the north.  Because I don't need no stinkin tailwind.  Flat course.  Because I don't need no stinkin downhill.  Also because there are no damn hills anywhere within 300 miles of DFW.

Got my YYC Marathon shirt on.  Shoes laced.  

Here. We. 

GO.

Same here. 

Queuing up some EDM on the playlist.  NO ECONOMICS PODCASTS TODAY, MFER!!!

First licks of sunlight on the horizon.  8C (46F).  Negligible wind out of the north.  Because I don't need no stinkin tailwind.  Flat course.  Because I don't need no stinkin downhill.  Also because there are no damn hills anywhere within 300 miles of DFW.

Got my YYC Marathon shirt on.  Shoes laced.  

Here. We. 

GO.
20:29 (with stains)

And current leader in the sandbagging clubhouse with a score of almost 2 minutes. On a 5K.

Wtf, guys.

Yeah, the sandbagging title is pretty much sewn up, methinks.
:bowtie:

Still lots of guys left to run.  This was my first 5K "race", so I had no idea what to expect.  

@gruecd, maybe if you did a little more research like @Juxtatarot, you would have made some smarter picks  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread