What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Ok, so this is ridiculously close right now with these 2 final adjustments for Floppo and Brony.

We have 3 runners left:  @Harris and Mrs. Gianmarco for #TeamGrue and @Alex P Keaton for #TeamJuxt

If Harris runs his predicted 19:45 and Mrs. GM runs her predicted 22:30, then anything at 24:11 (7:47 pace) or faster for APK and TeamJuxt wins.  Anything slower than 24:23 (7:51) and TeamGrue wins.  In that 12 second window, it's a tie.

Crazy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I count 9 PRs so far (excluding Iggy since he says he ran faster earlier):  Juxt, Dr. Z., Zasada, Xulf, JAA, Grue, Bush, SayWhat, Chief.  Out of 18 runners so far.

Barring a fall or injury, my wife is running one tomorrow as well.

That's insane.
That really is insane. We didn't even have medals.  

Someone had to go and beat one of my PR's too.  

• Love
Reactions: JAA
I count 9 PRs so far (excluding Iggy since he says he ran faster earlier):  Juxt, Dr. Z., Zasada, Xulf, JAA, Grue, Bush, SayWhat, Chief.  Out of 18 runners so far.

Barring a fall or injury, my wife is running one tomorrow as well.

That's insane.
Lots of pent up anger. 

#covid-pr

• Laughing
My wife is slaying it lately.  Conversation as I was debating the 5K attempt this afternoon:

Me:  There’s 10 runners on each team and only a handful of runners left to run the 5K in the competition, and the average pace per mile for each team is within seconds of each other.  I want to run it and get it over with, but I’m definitely still feeling that attempt from yesterday.  

Mrs. SayWhat?:  I don’t get it.  Competition for what?  What do you get?  An emoji?

:lmao:

What will be interesting is tomorrow, when this ends up being close, to see if anyone goes out there on the losing team to try and take some seconds off. 
So......

@Alex P Keaton gets a little pressure.  Sorry, GB.  He's predicted 26:00 but I'm guessing he also has a little bit more in him than that (I'm guessing that, well, just because).  Complete wildcard, but let's assume he gets that down to 25:00.

Then assuming our last 2 stay close to prediction, do other team members get back out and try to shave the 30-45 needed seconds collectively to get the win?  Because it's THAT close.....

:stirspot:

Ok, so this is ridiculously close right now with these 2 final adjustments for Floppo and Brony.

We have 3 runners left:  @Harris and Mrs. Gianmarco for #TeamGrue and @Alex P Keaton for #TeamJuxt

If Harris runs his predicted 19:45 and Mrs. GM runs her predicted 22:30, then anything at 24:11 (7:47 pace) or faster for APK and TeamJuxt wins.  Anything slower than 24:23 (7:51) and TeamGrue wins.  In that 12 second window, it's a tie.

Crazy!!
I'm going to have to go run again and actually pass out this time.

So......

@Alex P Keaton gets a little pressure.  Sorry, GB.  He's predicted 26:00 but I'm guessing he also has a little bit more in him than that (I'm guessing that, well, just because).  Complete wildcard, but let's assume he gets that down to 25:00.

Then assuming our last 2 stay close to prediction, do other team members get back out and try to shave the 30-45 needed seconds collectively to get the win?  Because it's THAT close.....

Love it.  Absolutely love the pressure.

My wife is slaying it lately.  Conversation as I was debating the 5K attempt this afternoon:

Me:  There’s 10 runners on each team and only a handful of runners left to run the 5K in the competition, and the average pace per mile for each team is within seconds of each other.  I want to run it and get it over with, but I’m definitely still feeling that attempt from yesterday.  

Mrs. SayWhat?:  I don’t get it.  Competition for what?  What do you get?  An emoji?

:lmao:
wait, we didn't do a signature bet for this?  Amateurs. 

So......

No

:topcat:

Here's the projected vs. actual detail:

Team member ....projected ....actual

Team Juxt: Cap'n Juxt..17:22
MAC...............16:59 .....16:59
Dr. Z................20:20 .....19:45
SteelCurtain...21:20 .....20:00
tri-man............21:45 .....21:04
xulf..................21:50 .....20:09
Zasada............21:55.....20:22
JAA..................22:10.....20:54
Iquana.............22:49 ....21:40
El Floppo.........23:00 ....23:00
AlexPKeaton...26:00 ....23:58
SFBayDuck......29:59 .....DNS

Team Grue: Cap'n Grue..18:10
pbm.................18:00 .....18:04
Harris...............19:45 .....20:08
Brony................20:25 .....20:20
Oz.....................21:40 .....20:07
bushdocta........21:30 .....20:19
gianmarco........22:00 .....22:14
mrs. gian..........22:30
Say What?........22:30 .....20:54
JShare..............24:00 .....DNS
ChiefD...............25:30 ....22:34
BassnBrew.......30:00 .....DNS

@Harris wishing you a great warmup, race/result and then all the baguette.  ##Teamgrue is with you!

Thanks mate! It's 6:45am, all carbed up from last night and a beautiful morning for some juxtcrushing, 55 and overcast.

Waiting on that all important trip to the throne and then I'm off. As my wife's grandpa says, "Don't ever rush a good ####."

FBG BMF5K Race Report. 

Preface

A little background. After my big target race in Sevilla on Feb 23rd, I had planned to take a couple of weeks off running before the Gdynia Half Marathon and Paris Marathon. Just to recharge mentally and get back into cycling with triathlon season coming up. Then the lockdown hit. No worries, can still run and cycle. Then cycling was banned. At least I can still run. Then runs were limited to within 1km (0.62mi) of your home. And lastly about two weeks ago, exercise was limited to before 10am or after 7pm only. 

Between the build up of lockdown restrictions and races being cancelled left and right, most motivation has gone out the window. My wife and I will still go run sometimes but overall to have so many restrictions thrown in your face when all you want to do is run is truly soul crushing. So during lockdown I've simply said screw it. There will be no actual training, only runs to enjoy yourself. To get out there and not worry about a workout or anything, just a couple days a week to appreciate the fresh air of being outside of the apartment. 

So that's where I stood physically and mentally leading up to today. Just a few easy runs in the bag in the past month and a half. But amazingly thankful for my health and the health of those around me. I'm super glad to be a part of this virtual omnium(?) because it's bringing back some motivation that's been kicked to the curb and shat on by a Parisian dog who's owner didn't bother to pick up the turd. 

Entrée

Had a great night's sleep, set the alarm for 6:30am. My wife wondering what I'm doing setting an alarm as it's the first time either of us has set one in weeks probably. Had a huge bowl of pasta/pesto the night before, no need for pre-run fueling today. Just poop and go. A little coffee to do the trick and I lace up my Saucony Fastwitch 9s. I bought these for racing between 5k and half-marathons this year but they haven't been seeing much use. This is only their third time out I believe, but with the aforementioned lack of training I need every edge I can get today. 

Out the door skies are overcast and about 50-55 degrees. Couldn't ask for better running weather. Barely a soul around as Parisians are not morning people. Hopefully the police aren't either. Started making my way over towards the top of Montmartre, where I would begin my zig-zagging cannonball run down towards the bottom of my little neighborhood. As I jogged up the road I passed the Montmartre Cemetery, wondering if this would be my resting place after this morning's self-inflicted torture.  A nice looking girl in some leggings turned the corner in front of me, jogging quite slowly. Luckily I was still in my warm up and felt no need to pass her; needed a last bit of pleasure before the pain set in.  Lastly, no cops in their usual spots on the run up. Should have a free initial run down and be clear from there on out. Made my way to the apex of the hill, where the smell of freshly baked croissants was lingering (thought about calling it here and stuffing my face), and it was on.  

Main Plat

KM1 (3:29/km, ~5:37/mi) - Got off to a blazing start, through the wafting smell of the bakeries, over the cemetery and... oh ####, flashing blue lights. Or is it an ambulance?  Good, I might need that later. Nope it's the police but setting up their check point on the other side of the street, keep chugging along. It was at the end of this first km I had a thought that I went out just a touch too fast....

KM2 (3:49/km, ~6:09/mi) - Yep, definitely went out too fast. But that's alright, still have about 27 seconds to play with to keep it under my prediction of 19:45.

KM3 (4:16/km, ~6:51/mi) - As I turned the corner to start KM3, I was still on flat ground but ahead all I could see was this ever so slight uphill, which looked like a mountain when you're out of shape and HR is blasting through the roof.

KM4 (4:20/km, ~6:58/mi) - Blacked out.

KM5 (4:13/km,  ~6:46/mi) -  Made the turn for home and was just hoping to speed up a bit at this point to keep it under 20:30. Huffed and puffed all the way home for a 20:08 finish per Strava.

Dessert

My PR for the 5K is 19:18 and felt a 19:45 prediction was reasonable a month ago but training has just not been there for me. When I woke up I thought 20:00 could be achievable and respectable here so overall pleased with 20:08. As I slowly trudged my way home I will say I did feel a renewed sense of running energy from laying it all out there. I'm looking forward to getting out again tomorrow to pick my training up where I left off weeks ago and be ready for the FBG BMF10K. Thanks to all of you for kicking ### and making me want to do the same again!  :thumbup:

Fin.

FBG BMF5K Race Report. 

Preface

A little background. After my big target race in Sevilla on Feb 23rd, I had planned to take a couple of weeks off running before the Gdynia Half Marathon and Paris Marathon. Just to recharge mentally and get back into cycling with triathlon season coming up. Then the lockdown hit. No worries, can still run and cycle. Then cycling was banned. At least I can still run. Then runs were limited to within 1km (0.62mi) of your home. And lastly about two weeks ago, exercise was limited to before 10am or after 7pm only. 

Between the build up of lockdown restrictions and races being cancelled left and right, most motivation has gone out the window. My wife and I will still go run sometimes but overall to have so many restrictions thrown in your face when all you want to do is run is truly soul crushing. So during lockdown I've simply said screw it. There will be no actual training, only runs to enjoy yourself. To get out there and not worry about a workout or anything, just a couple days a week to appreciate the fresh air of being outside of the apartment. 

So that's where I stood physically and mentally leading up to today. Just a few easy runs in the bag in the past month and a half. But amazingly thankful for my health and the health of those around me. I'm super glad to be a part of this virtual omnium(?) because it's bringing back some motivation that's been kicked to the curb and shat on by a Parisian dog who's owner didn't bother to pick up the turd. 

Entrée

Had a great night's sleep, set the alarm for 6:30am. My wife wondering what I'm doing setting an alarm as it's the first time either of us has set one in weeks probably. Had a huge bowl of pasta/pesto the night before, no need for pre-run fueling today. Just poop and go. A little coffee to do the trick and I lace up my Saucony Fastwitch 9s. I bought these for racing between 5k and half-marathons this year but they haven't been seeing much use. This is only their third time out I believe, but with the aforementioned lack of training I need every edge I can get today. 

Out the door skies are overcast and about 50-55 degrees. Couldn't ask for better running weather. Barely a soul around as Parisians are not morning people. Hopefully the police aren't either. Started making my way over towards the top of Montmartre, where I would begin my zig-zagging cannonball run down towards the bottom of my little neighborhood. As I jogged up the road I passed the Montmartre Cemetery, wondering if this would be my resting place after this morning's self-inflicted torture.  A nice looking girl in some leggings turned the corner in front of me, jogging quite slowly. Luckily I was still in my warm up and felt no need to pass her; needed a last bit of pleasure before the pain set in.  Lastly, no cops in their usual spots on the run up. Should have a free initial run down and be clear from there on out. Made my way to the apex of the hill, where the smell of freshly baked croissants was lingering (thought about calling it here and stuffing my face), and it was on.  

Main Plat

KM1 (3:29/km, ~5:37/mi) - Got off to a blazing start, through the wafting smell of the bakeries, over the cemetery and... oh ####, flashing blue lights. Or is it an ambulance?  Good, I might need that later. Nope it's the police but setting up their check point on the other side of the street, keep chugging along. It was at the end of this first km I had a thought that I went out just a touch too fast....

KM2 (3:49/km, ~6:09/mi) - Yep, definitely went out too fast. But that's alright, still have about 27 seconds to play with to keep it under my prediction of 19:45.

KM3 (4:16/km, ~6:51/mi) - As I turned the corner to start KM3, I was still on flat ground but ahead all I could see was this ever so slight uphill, which looked like a mountain when you're out of shape and HR is blasting through the roof.

KM5 (4:13/km,  ~6:46/mi) -  Made the turn for home and was just hoping to speed up a bit at this point to keep it under 20:30. Huffed and puffed all the way home for a 20:08 finish per Strava.

Dessert

My PR for the 5K is 19:18 and felt a 19:45 prediction was reasonable a month ago but training has just not been there for me. When I woke up I thought 20:00 could be achievable and respectable here so overall pleased with 20:08. As I slowly trudged my way home I will say I did feel a renewed sense of running energy from laying it all out there. I'm looking forward to getting out again tomorrow to pick my training up where I left off weeks ago and be ready for the FBG BMF10K. Thanks to all of you for kicking ### and making me want to do the same again!  :thumbup:

Fin.
Great race report!  Well done Sanding the start.  We all know that “I’m going to die” feeling at the finish.

best news?  You didn’t end up in jail!

Only 2 runners left!

APK is going beteeen 8-10 am ET.  What’s Mrs. Gian’s expected start time?

FBG BMF5K Race Report. 

Preface

Entrée

Main Plat

Dessert

Fin.
Great run, great report. 

I'll agree with the others, the virtual 5k was much more motivating than I thought originally. 

Was having dinner and then a bike ride with son #3 during the virtual happy hour. Hope y'all got home safe! 

• Thanks
Got up this morning, and was quite sore from yesterday.  Planned to do my usual easy 11K.

Donned all the gear, went outside, started the watch and got running.  10 seconds in, my groin was screaming. 

In what might be the smartest thing I've done in a while, I turned around, went back inside and took off the shoes.  Today is now a rest day.

I have a little cushion on my 2,500mi pace, and apparently running that 5K (and the 15K cooldown) yesterday took more out of me than I anticipated.  Having a good run yesterday ironically gives me the confidence to take a day off, rest the problem muscle group of the month, and hopefully run productively next week.

❤️

Metric!

That aside, great run.  Glad you didn't get stopped by the coppers.  Hopefully you can now go back and grab some of those freshly-baked croissants.  Just imagining them is making me hungry right now.

tri-man 47 said:
And then there were two. Looks like we'll come down to a very close finish.  I believe a 6:36 average pace could win it. 
Once APK finishes, we'll know exactly what we need from Mrs. @gianmarco in order to bring home the bacon.

FBG EMOJI RUN 5K RACE REPORT

Take One - Decided to give the 5K a go on Friday afternoon.  The gun fires and I’m off. I knew I was in trouble when I felt a burning desire to check the distance on my watch and it said 0.19 miles.  Yeah, lungs burning and 2.91 to go.  See, the problem is, when you don’t run roads nor try to run “fast” very often (like ever), you forget what a 7 minute mile feels like.  Next thing you know your watch is flashing “Mile 1 Lap 6:35.”  Then you realize your eyes are becoming squinty and life is fading from your body.  So what do you do in a moment of weakness?  Pull the emergency chute and start walking.  And then?  Honestly I’m not even sure how to describe the next two hours at home.  Three straight trips to the throne produced...nothing.  Huh?  Doesn’t feel like nothing inside there.  The next five produced the equivalent of a months worth of poop.  No bueno.  Neither my stomach nor running 5Ks.

Take Two - I wake up Saturday and what in the hell?  Sore from a hard 1.2 miles.  Embarrassing!  But on the bright side, I was probably down ten pounds.  I’m not going to lie.  This race was starting to cause me a bit of stress and anxiety.  Debated all morning what to do.  Get it over with despite the soreness or wait another day until Sunday with pressure building by the minute and the world watching?  

Pre Race - I tried to poop. No success.  I took a gel, hoping that it would keep me alive for 3.1 miles.  That’s right.  I just took a gel before a 3.1 mile run for a competition to “win an emoji.”

Mile 1 (6:35) - Trying to start out with a 7:15ish mile then bump it up from there.  Oops.  It’s a replay from Take One with a 6:35 again.  Still don’t have that pacing thing down.  Tried rationalizing that at least I banked some time, though the rational side of my brain knew that wouldn’t matter when I was laying on the side of the path short of 3.1 miles.

Mile 2 (6:42) - Starting to feel it, especially later in this mile.  Also lots of people out, so I’m focusing mostly on not blowing my Corona all over them. Though I was heaving pretty good, I exhibited amazing breath control anytime I was near someone. And then it hits me. If I keel over, is anyone in this COVID-19 world giving a runner mouth to mouth.  I’m thinking not.  I’m on my own.  A one man SEAL Team.  Hating this 5K, but feeling good about my time at this stage, if I can just hold on...

Mile 3 (7:02) - Holy hell.  What in the world do you people enjoy about this distance?  It’s honestly deplorable.  Looked down a couple times to see pace of 7:20+.  Feels like I’m running faster than that. Not good.  Almost tripped on a sidewalk crack.  I had ball parked I’d wrap up near a beach on the south side of a lake.  Nope.  Three tenths of a mile left.  May as well be a marathon with how I’m feeling.

Mile 0.11 (0:37, 5:43 pace) - I knew with about 0.15 miles to go that it was going to be really close to 21 minutes, so I badly wanted to get under that mark.  Dug deep with a @ChiefD shovel he had loaned me, because we’re #teamgrue teammates, and clicked in a few seconds under 21 minutes and set a new PR. (On a technicality because I don’t remember the last 5K race I’ve done).

Strava PR: 20:56

Post Race Thoughts - Yep, this confirmed 5Ks would rank somewhere near enemas and root canals on my personal enjoyment scale.  Simply no fun at all.  That said, thanks for letting me participate.  It actually was fun, in a sadistic way, to push myself in a way that I don’t ever do.  And since I’ve been thinking that I should incorporate some speed work into my training, this gives me a nice building block to use in doing so.  

TLDR - I finished.  I didn’t die.  5Ks suck.  This may have been my gateway into speed work.  You actual runners are pretty damn amazing. 

Zasada said:
Got up this morning, and was quite sore from yesterday.  Planned to do my usual easy 11K.

Donned all the gear, went outside, started the watch and got running.  10 seconds in, my groin was screaming. 

In what might be the smartest thing I've done in a while, I turned around, went back inside and took off the shoes.  Today is now a rest day.
Wife asked me this morning how long I'm running. I said I'd like to do 2 hours, haven't in a few weeks.

About 30 seconds later - **violent cramp in my right quad but somehow don't spill coffee**

Okay, maybe I'm not running 2 hours today. 

FBG EMOJI RUN 5K RACE REPORT

Take One - Decided to give the 5K a go on Friday afternoon.  The gun fires and I’m off. I knew I was in trouble when I felt a burning desire to check the distance on my watch and it said 0.19 miles.  Yeah, lungs burning and 2.91 to go.  See, the problem is, when you don’t run roads nor try to run “fast” very often (like ever), you forget what a 7 minute mile feels like.  Next thing you know your watch is flashing “Mile 1 Lap 6:35.”  Then you realize your eyes are becoming squinty and life is fading from your body.  So what do you do in a moment of weakness?  Pull the emergency chute and start walking.  And then?  Honestly I’m not even sure how to describe the next two hours at home.  Three straight trips to the throne produced...nothing.  Huh?  Doesn’t feel like nothing inside there.  The next five produced the equivalent of a months worth of poop.  No bueno.  Neither my stomach nor running 5Ks.

Take Two - I wake up Saturday and what in the hell?  Sore from a hard 1.2 miles.  Embarrassing!  But on the bright side, I was probably down ten pounds.  I’m not going to lie.  This race was starting to cause me a bit of stress and anxiety.  Debated all morning what to do.  Get it over with despite the soreness or wait another day until Sunday with pressure building by the minute and the world watching?  

Pre Race - I tried to poop. No success.  I took a gel, hoping that it would keep me alive for 3.1 miles.  That’s right.  I just took a gel before a 3.1 mile run for a competition to “win an emoji.”

Mile 1 (6:35) - Trying to start out with a 7:15ish mile then bump it up from there.  Oops.  It’s a replay from Take One with a 6:35 again.  Still don’t have that pacing thing down.  Tried rationalizing that at least I banked some time, though the rational side of my brain knew that wouldn’t matter when I was laying on the side of the path short of 3.1 miles.

Mile 2 (6:42) - Starting to feel it, especially later in this mile.  Also lots of people out, so I’m focusing mostly on not blowing my Corona all over them. Though I was heaving pretty good, I exhibited amazing breath control anytime I was near someone. And then it hits me. If I keel over, is anyone in this COVID-19 world giving a runner mouth to mouth.  I’m thinking not.  I’m on my own.  A one man SEAL Team.  Hating this 5K, but feeling good about my time at this stage, if I can just hold on...

Mile 3 (7:02) - Holy hell.  What in the world do you people enjoy about this distance?  It’s honestly deplorable.  Looked down a couple times to see pace of 7:20+.  Feels like I’m running faster than that. Not good.  Almost tripped on a sidewalk crack.  I had ball parked I’d wrap up near a beach on the south side of a lake.  Nope.  Three tenths of a mile left.  May as well be a marathon with how I’m feeling.

Mile 0.11 (0:37, 5:43 pace) - I knew with about 0.15 miles to go that it was going to be really close to 21 minutes, so I badly wanted to get under that mark.  Dug deep with a @ChiefD shovel he had loaned me, because we’re #teamgrue teammates, and clicked in a few seconds under 21 minutes and set a new PR. (On a technicality because I don’t remember the last 5K race I’ve done).

Strava PR: 20:56

Post Race Thoughts - Yep, this confirmed 5Ks would rank somewhere near enemas and root canals on my personal enjoyment scale.  Simply no fun at all.  That said, thanks for letting me participate.  It actually was fun, in a sadistic way, to push myself in a way that I don’t ever do.  And since I’ve been thinking that I should incorporate some speed work into my training, this gives me a nice building block to use in doing so.  

TLDR - I finished.  I didn’t die.  5Ks suck.  This may have been my gateway into speed work.  You actual runners are pretty damn amazing. 
Love this report. Nice job on a distance and type of race that is so foreign to you. Glad you decided to join in.

:thumbup:

These ####### Zoom Happy hours are going to be the death of me. I didn't even make it through the poker tournament because I needed to lie down. I just checked to see if it was still going and it's not.
My whole right side locked up after I got off that meeting.

Had to go to bed early. (After a couple more beers just to make sure I was hurting).

Just finished.  Strava still uploading.  24 + change. I’ll write up later.  Just got done hyperventilating.  Deliberately started fast thinking “I need to push for 23:15 or 23:30.  No other option but pain."  Unfortunately, couldn’t sustain but still had my fastest time yet.

edit 23:58

Sorry I missed Zoom last night.

Catan Universe was pretty cool. I ended up second place which sucked. I don’t know how teamgrue deals with something like that.  All.  The.  Time. 

These ####### Zoom Happy hours are going to be the death of me. I didn't even make it through the poker tournament because I needed to lie down. I just checked to see if it was still going and it's not.
For those not in attendance, @gianmarcowas very quiet the entire time. Then, every 5 minutes he would randomly shout (sometimes over others in a conversation) “Hey, @JShare87!” While pointing to him pouring his bottle of scotch into a glass. “Guess what number!?!?” Last count I remember was 5. That was shortly before he said @gruecd “sucked as a human.” To which our lovely host muted him. 😂🤣😂

Users who are viewing this thread