What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

I’ve been dreading typing this because once I put it in this thread it’s painfully real.  Have been dealing with plantar fasciitis the past month or so.  It really sucks.  Open to any and all advice from this group.   Doing a few stretching / strengthening exercises.  Hate that I can’t run 3-4 times a week.  Ugh.

I’ve been dreading typing this because once I put it in this thread it’s painfully real.  Have been dealing with plantar fasciitis the past month or so.  It really sucks.  Open to any and all advice from this group.   Doing a few stretching / strengthening exercises.  Hate that I can’t run 3-4 times a week.  Ugh.
Ugh...sorry, man. 

I got nothing- but I know there's a thread here about it.

Just run through the pain. I've been dealing with it for about 3 months now. And get some recovery sandals from @gianmarco.

RICE. Stay off your feet as much as possible. Anti-inflammatories. Any type of exercise not on your feet would be a good thing.

Try rolling out calf and lower legs with a stick or something similar. Lax ball or similar size ball to roll out the foot.  

Google Kelly Starrett vids and articles, he’s my first go to for searches on overuse injuries. 

Just run through the pain. I've been dealing with it for about 3 months now. And get some recovery sandals from @gianmarco.
I don't know about running through it, but spending some quality time with @JShare87 in his ice tub would be a healing, bonding, and enlightening experience.  Also, get a small ball (e.g., racquetball) and roll your foot on it.

A big "yes" to recovery sandals.  I've been meaning to offer a huge thanks to @gianmarco for highlighting the sandals.  I've had a pair for years, but really only used them after my longest runs in marathon training.  But with gian's strong nudge, I got them out and have been wearing them every day, most of the day around the house.  They've been a tremendous benefit to relieve the foot pain caused by my heel spur. Early in 2020, my left foot was sore for a couple of days after any run.  Now I'm able to run consecutive days with no issue ...just need to stop and stretch for a bit a minute or two into the start of each run.  So seriously - thanks, @gianmarco!

I don't know about running through it, but spending some quality time with @JShare87 in his ice tub would be a healing, bonding, and enlightening experience.  Also, get a small ball (e.g., racquetball) and roll your foot on it.

A big "yes" to recovery sandals.  I've been meaning to offer a huge thanks to @gianmarco for highlighting the sandals.  I've had a pair for years, but really only used them after my longest runs in marathon training.  But with gian's strong nudge, I got them out and have been wearing them every day, most of the day around the house.  They've been a tremendous benefit to relieve the foot pain caused by my heel spur. Early in 2020, my left foot was sore for a couple of days after any run.  Now I'm able to run consecutive days with no issue ...just need to stop and stretch for a bit a minute or two into the start of each run.  So seriously - thanks, @gianmarco!
Thx tri.  I’ve got a golf ball to roll my foot with and it is helping.   Sandals.....will wait to hear more from gian.

Try rolling out calf and lower legs with a stick or something similar. Lax ball or similar size ball to roll out the foot.  

Google Kelly Starrett vids and articles, he’s my first go to for searches on overuse injuries. 
Gracias.  Will google and check out today.

Also have a roller and have been using it 2x per day.  Had an IT band issue many years ago and it was a big help with that.

Btw, re: Oofos sandals, I ordered a second pair so I had one to wear exclusively around the house since I kept wearing my first pair out.

I ordered the same type but in blue and it felt different (stiffer, TWSS), so I returned them and got another pair of the smoke color. Those are definitely smoother and feel a bit more "plush".

FWIW, they were on sale at REI for $40.

You could think about trying a push-up.  #Zasada
Hey!  I moved up to ~13lb dumbbells for my presses.  Progress!

ETA:  I have no idea if doing dumbbell presses will improve my ability to do a pushup.  I'm assuming they do.  But if they don't, :rant: .

Last edited by a moderator:
RICE. Stay off your feet as much as possible. Anti-inflammatories. Any type of exercise not on your feet would be a good thing.

My wife has suffered with pf ov were the years. Off the feet has helped but isn't a permanent solution. Rolling them out and stretching has also helped. I'll ask her if there's anything else. She's gone as far as getting a cortisone shot.

Hey!  I moved up to ~13lb dumbbells for my presses.  Progress!

ETA:  I have no idea if doing dumbbell presses will improve my ability to do a pushup.  I'm assuming they do.  But if they don't, :rant: .
I am also a weak guy. Started doing pushups on 6/30 with a pathetic 3X5 and have done them pretty consistently since then (5,865 total - off course I am tracking them in my running spreadsheet) and I am now up to 6x20 each day. I even got myself a pullup bar on 10/9 and have started doing 3x5 assisted pullups (kneeling on an exercise ball), last night I did 1.5 pullups unassisted. It's been fun seeing improvement in a new activity.

I am also a weak guy. Started doing pushups on 6/30 with a pathetic 3X5 and have done them pretty consistently since then (5,865 total - off course I am tracking them in my running spreadsheet) and I am now up to 6x20 each day. I even got myself a pullup bar on 10/9 and have started doing 3x5 assisted pullups (kneeling on an exercise ball), last night I did 1.5 pullups unassisted. It's been fun seeing improvement in a new activity.
Ugh.  Ok.  You guys are convincing me.  
It will also help with.....forearm strength and stamina.....umm....for when I play tennis.....

My wife has suffered with pf ov were the years. Off the feet has helped but isn't a permanent solution. Rolling them out and stretching has also helped. I'll ask her if there's anything else. She's gone as far as getting a cortisone shot.
Thanks Floppo.  Would really like to avoid cortisone. Buddy of mine went that route.....but didn’t do all the other stuff, and it mostly just masked his underlying issues.

Taking notes:

- Rolling legs

- Stretching

- Golf ball for rolling feet

- gian’s sandals

- anti inflammatories

- “exercise off my feet”

Ugh.  Ok.  You guys are convincing me.  
It will also help with.....forearm strength and stamina.....umm....for when I play tennis.....
:lol:

Strength training will not make you faster, but it will keep you healthier. It didn't enter my head at the time but after hearing it enough times from my ortho, PT, among others I'm convinced my injury this summer wasn't worse because of it.

Btw, re: Oofos sandals, I ordered a second pair so I had one to wear exclusively around the house since I kept wearing my first pair out.

I ordered the same type but in blue and it felt different (stiffer, TWSS), so I returned them and got another pair of the smoke color. Those are definitely smoother and feel a bit more "plush".

FWIW, they were on sale at REI for $40.
These?

Strength training will not make you faster, but it will keep you healthier. It didn't enter my head at the time but after hearing it enough times from my ortho, PT, among others I'm convinced my injury this summer wasn't worse because of it.
A PT I chatted with a while back said, when trying to convince me to do strength work, that "cardio improves the duration of your life, while strength training improves the quality of your life".  It wasn't enough back then to get me to change my approach, but the phrase has been nibbling at me over time, and has been a small part of my addition of strength training to my weekly routine (the big part being trying to avoid re-injury to my glute).

I'm down to 1x weekly on my strength/PT, but hope/plan to get it back to 2x weekly.  Problem is that I can't find the time/motivation to stack both running and strength into the same day.  So a strength day means no running, and that's hard for me to trade.

On the running front, these cool temps (60F this morning) are really driving my HR down.  Basically did my 11K ER this morning the entire time with a HR below 130.  Watch went wonky at the end again, but it was nice to have an ER truly feel "E".  My 21K ER on Tuesday was run almost entirely below 130 as well (watch wonkiness at the end again excluded).

Garmin VO2Max back up to 58.  It would be nice if it was temperature-adjusted.  I'm noticing a strong correlation between temperature trends and VO2Max trends...

A PT I chatted with a while back said, when trying to convince me to do strength work, that "cardio improves the duration of your life, while strength training improves the quality of your life".  It wasn't enough back then to get me to change my approach, but the phrase has been nibbling at me over time, and has been a small part of my addition of strength training to my weekly routine (the big part being trying to avoid re-injury to my glute).

I'm down to 1x weekly on my strength/PT, but hope/plan to get it back to 2x weekly.  Problem is that I can't find the time/motivation to stack both running and strength into the same day.  So a strength day means no running, and that's hard for me to trade.
Once you will yourself through one late afternoon/evening strength training session you don't want to the future ones become easier. I don't always get an unexpected second wind from it, but more often than not I do.

Props. I get derailed from all the things I should be doing like push-ups/pull-ups/lunges/core so easily.  I can’t get them to stick even with ridiculously low daily expectations.  Morning routine is shot presently, been holding on with miles during soccer practice and weekends. 

Props. I get derailed from all the things I should be doing like push-ups/pull-ups/lunges/core so easily.  I can’t get them to stick even with ridiculously low daily expectations.  Morning routine is shot presently, been holding on with miles during soccer practice and weekends. 
I've been tying push ups to my bathroom routine. Every time I get up to take a leak at work, I'll do 10-20 push ups out in the shop on my way back to my desk. I then do a plank or two in the afternoon around 3:00. Just takes a couple of minutes for those. 

3rd day in a row getting up and out running pre-work. First time doing weekday even back to back since I started back in an office a few weeks or so ago. Feels good to get back in the rhythm. 

Limited time in the AM for me, so just hitting my usual 4m out and back. Today ended up being slow...less out of a plan (although I wanted to slow it up in advance of my longer run tomorrow), and more because my legs felt tired..they just didn't want to go the usual 8:15-30. Got on a bike to go to work and likewise felt dead-legged for the 15 min commute. Hoping to have a little giddyup back for the brooklyn bear run tomorrow.

Thanks Floppo.  Would really like to avoid cortisone. Buddy of mine went that route.....but didn’t do all the other stuff, and it mostly just masked his underlying issues.

Taking notes:

- Rolling legs

- Stretching

- gian’s sandals

- anti inflammatories

- “exercise off my feet”

Be sure to get the smoke colored ones to match @gianmarco and the rest of the thread's running team.

Only thing I would add on the PF is to not walk around your house barefoot.  In our house, we never wear shoes ever.  When I had PF, I started wearing sneakers around the house. The extra support helps to alleviate the pain and enhances healing.

@tri-man 47 does the same.

He's up to 1650 pushups/day.
:lmao:

Wait, what?

FWIW, when I was stepping up to half-Ironman races a dozen years ago, I committed to 500 push-ups and sit-ups a week.  Not sure if it did anything for the racing, but it made me less of a string bean.  A good way to get in push-ups - besides doing so on Chief's bathroom breaks (he does texts me so I can e-join him in some reps) - is to drop and do a set during commercials.  20-25/commercial during a sporting event is not without effect.

Taking notes:

- Rolling legs

- Stretching

- gian’s sandals

- anti inflammatories

- “exercise off my feet”
Ok...just asked her.

For immediate relief, ice bath. 

Longer term- "get on a plane to the caribbean, sit on a beach for a week or ideally two doing absolutely nothing except the occasional splash in the waves (and cocktails)". According to her, nothing else worked other than the complete shut down. And apparently spending my money to go to the caribbean.

Up and at ‘em, about to leave soon for the start. Guts aren’t feeling the best this morning, so hopefully that will subside. Leaving a little extra time for a Kwik Trip bathroom stop on the way.

Temps are perfect (nice and cold). There’s a wind advisory for later, but I’m running mostly east, and the wind is out of the SSW, so hopefully it won’t be too big of a deal.

👍 Pull-ups are one of the best exercises you can do. Pushups are good too. 

:lol:

:yes:

If you can find 5 minutes in the afternoon or before bed, you can get some strength work in.  Perhaps start with 30 seconds crunches, 30 seconds pushups, repeat. Take 15 seconds rest at first after each minute. 

I'm starting to do 50 pushups when I wake up most mornings, and will get some kettle bell swings in. After the HM next weekend I'm going to go lighter on the run and add more strength training, deciding I care far less about my run times than I do being healthy.  

Someone here has said it before, but swimming really is the best of both worlds. And it's easier on our old knees.

Up and at ‘em, about to leave soon for the start. Guts aren’t feeling the best this morning, so hopefully that will subside. Leaving a little extra time for a Kwik Trip bathroom stop on the way.

Temps are perfect (nice and cold). There’s a wind advisory for later, but I’m running mostly east, and the wind is out of the SSW, so hopefully it won’t be too big of a deal.
:clap:

Get you some!  :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread