What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Saturday.  I only ran 31 miles last week, and I'm only planning on 11 miles this week before the race (all easy stuff).  So we'll see.  
I love how relative everything is.

"Only" ran 31 miles last week...which of course is an easy week for you (normal to longer week for me). I'm finally happy to be at the point where I tell the wife I'm "only" going out for an hour run.

It's nice being back at a point where I have my base fitness back a bit and can think more in those terms. Yesterday's 13+ on tired legs was relatively easy on the cardio element which I know could have gotten pushed if needed- the legs weren't having going any faster though. 

Need to keep putting in the miles and adding speed/hill work. I'm a looooong ways off my PRs, which is fine...but would be nice to see some raceday tangible results when that stuff starts up again.

Randon thought... It takes me about two miles to warm up- a reason maybe why I ran better in tris. How do you guys deal with warming up pre-race? The races here are so crowded, it's hard to adequately warm up and get into the proper pen for pace.

Randon thought... It takes me about two miles to warm up- a reason maybe why I ran better in tris. How do you guys deal with warming up pre-race? The races here are so crowded, it's hard to adequately warm up and get into the proper pen for pace.
Really depends on the distance.  For shorter stuff (5-10K, half marathon), I'll run a couple of easy miles beforehand and then do some strides.  For the marathon or anything longer, I'll do some leg swings and other muscle activation stuff, and I'll maybe toss in a couple short strides during my jog to the start area, but that's about it.

Really depends on the distance.  For shorter stuff (5-10K, half marathon), I'll run a couple of easy miles beforehand and then do some strides.  For the marathon or anything longer, I'll do some leg swings and other muscle activation stuff, and I'll maybe toss in a couple short strides during my jog to the start area, but that's about it.
Thanks. 

What are strides?

Oh, it's gonna be way slower than my current marathon pace (whatever that is).  Running one big loop at sub-8 pace is a pretty good effort.  The race is five of them plus two smaller loops.  If I can average 8:30 pace, I'd be happy.  Just trying to decide if I should go out at that pace or if I should be conservative and run the first couple of loops closer to 8:45, which is going to feel painstakingly slow.

My main worry (and I think it's a legitimate one) is that my legs aren't fully recovered from my 53-miler a few weeks ago, which I'm afraid might cause a bigger slowdown that usual in the latter stages of this race if I'm not careful.
If I were you, I'd go out at 8:30.  See how it feels.  If 8:45 is painstakingly slow, then why do it?  Its more fun to "race" it.  You understand the risk that the wheels could come off in the last 6 miles, but given your strength, I think that is less likely, especially with cool weather.

And how upset would you be if you did 8:45 the first two loops and found out later, you missed a top 3 placement by 30 seconds? 

TL;DR -- DBAP; RF.

The topic of racing people reminds me of a story I think you'll appreciate.  Like most of us, I'm generally just racing myself out there, but I do try to keep an eye on guys that might be in my age group so that I don't lose out on a medal monger opportunity by a few seconds.  Well, there's a smaller 5K I've been doing on New Year's Day, and it's typically not a particularly fast field, which was especially true a few years back before it got more popular.  This is exacerbated by the fact that there's a 10K that goes off a few hours earlier, so a lot of the faster people do that, but I'm not about to wake up at 7am on New Year's to race.  Anyway...

So a few year's ago the first place dude takes off and quickly builds a nice lead, and after about the first mile I find myself in fourth place, but only a few seconds behind two teens who are in second and third.  I keep relatively close to them and as we turn onto the boardwalk for the last 1/4 mile I get it in my head that I'm going to make an attempt to outkick these two, so I start building up speed and close the gap.  We are three abreast and with much effort I briefly surge into second with about .1 left, at which point they really put the hammer down, and the one guy kicks off a loose shoe as he pulls away from me  :lol:    At this point I figure it's not in the cards and I cruise into fourth overall and the age group win.  So, on one hand I made them work for it, even though they were 20 years younger than me.  On the other hand, I got out-kicked by a guy with one shoe  :bag:

JShare87 said:
How’s this for running weather in the middle of November at 5 am?

Tomorrow’s forecast:

80 degrees

80% humidity

30 MPH winds. 
70F/84%/15mph for me this morning.  And that sucked.  You're a #BMF for still getting out there!

Yo @pbm107, can you take a look at this route and opine on run-ability with traffic and the like?  Would make a trip someday just for the jokes. 
http://www.junkmilesshow.com/fraud-street-run/
It's kind of funny as I know the area pretty well, up until 5th grade I lived in nearby Mayfair 3 miles away.  My mom went to high school less than 0.5 mile from the Four Seasons. Sweet Lucky's Smokehouse right down the street is fantastic. Should be a runnable course but I would have ran in the opposite direction towards Pennypack Park, home of the Dirty German course.

Been planking lately to work on my core. I do 'em at the office in the afternoon around 3:00 or so to break up the afternoon. 

If anyone wants to join post your plank time each day in the afternoon. I just do one and hold it as long as I can. 

It's kind of funny as I know the area pretty well, up until 5th grade I lived in nearby Mayfair 3 miles away.  My mom went to high school less than 0.5 mile from the Four Seasons. Sweet Lucky's Smokehouse right down the street is fantastic. Should be a runnable course but I would have ran in the opposite direction towards Pennypack Park, home of the Dirty German course.
Wow, your mom grew up right next door to that landscaping company. Jealous doesn't even begin to describe it. 

All I can say is that running is nowhere near as fun when you haven't been doing it for a while.  Really makes you appreciate what being in decent shape means. 
At the rate you recover your training, I expect a post next week about how easy and fun your 8-minute mile pace is...

At the rate you recover your training, I expect a post next week about how easy and fun your 8-minute mile pace is...
Not even close.  It took me almost 2 months to get back into shape back in the spring and I didn't take off as much time.  I'm struggling just getting 5 miles done with HRs easily 20 bpm higher than they should be.

Not even close.  It took me almost 2 months to get back into shape back in the spring and I didn't take off as much time.  I'm struggling just getting 5 miles done with HRs easily 20 bpm higher than they should be.
It will come back quick.

I felt like I turned a corner during last night's run. All systems just felt strong and smooth. Just need to keep building on that. 

2020 ChiefD Thankful For My Blessings Half Marathon

So, typical of myself I throw this idea out back in September and didn't follow up on it, but I am doing this. 

The Saturday before Thanksgiving I will run a half-marathon of some pace to be determined. The goal is to just get out and do a nice long run and kickstart some fitness. Based on the original post, these folks showed interest:

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

@FUBAR 

Any one else want some of this? It's all for fun and just to get out and have a nice long run and hopefully some reports after.  :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:

So, typical of myself I throw this idea out back in September and didn't follow up on it, but I am doing this. 

The Saturday before Thanksgiving I will run a half-marathon of some pace to be determined. The goal is to just get out and do a nice long run and kickstart some fitness. Based on the original post, these folks showed interest:

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

Any one else want some of this? It's all for fun and just to get out and have a nice long run and hopefully some reports after.  :headbang:
No.

Will likely be a trail run for me, at a "not-race" pace.  But still happy to log the distance with the group (virtually)!

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

In.  But I request it can be Saturday or Sunday due to family obligations or poor weather.  I'll try to do it Saturday, but no guarantees.

I won't race it but I'll push it more than I've been running lately. 

Thanks for the push!

All I can say is that running is nowhere near as fun when you haven't been doing it for a while.  Really makes you appreciate what being in decent shape means. 
For every week off you need at least one to get it back. It'll be tough sledding for you at least into December and probably longer. Find outlets to ensure you keep working and you will get there - it's going to be a mental grind though.

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

Maybe

yeah, I'll put in 13.1 miles. But it won't be near race pace

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
Zasada said:
gianmarco said:
You both speak wise words, imo. Having completely fallen off the wagon over the summer, I have lost a lot of the 'fun' aspect with the drop in fitness. When you see growth almost daily it pushes you to keep getting out there. With the fall, it has definitely made it a struggle to try to get back into it. It's been quite the roller coaster the last couple of months and that is with a couple things to try to help motivate me. This morning I pushed it just a little doing 5 miles - just kept trying to go a little faster each mile. Last one had a small hill in it to boot. A 5th mile at 7:40 was fun and gives hope of getting back in front of this. But it is also a bit depressing to think that last October I ran a HM averaging 7:30 per mile and it felt great. 

The good news is that I know I can get back there if I just stay at it. The bad news is that it takes quite a while to build back to where I was but is so darn easy to fall backwards at an alarming rate. 

ChiefD said:
I have thought about this a lot lately. It was at the forefront of my mind running the HM trail race, doing the pacing thing last weekend and on my run this morning. I will definitely be running a HM soon, but not sure it will be next weekend. On the 21st I am running a 5k in the morning and plan to run that about as hard as I can right now. I don't see myself fully racing a HM at this time, but I definitely want to do one. It will either be this coming Saturday or will be the weekend after Thanksgiving - maybe both. We'll see!

gianmarco said:
I'm familiar with that emotion.  My foot still isn't 100% but it's definitely improved, so I started "running" a couple of weeks ago - going out for 3-6 miles with the pup, and mixing in some running here and there, maybe 50-75% of the time depending on the day.  HR is so high it's ridiculous, couldn't even imagine trying to do MAF right now as to keep my HR that low I'd have to walk slowly.....backwards.  But it's been encouraging that I feel like I'm easing back into it.  Just registered yesterday for the rolled-over Canyons 100K on April 24th.  So my goal is to get back to a low-level baseline of 25-30 miles/week by the end of the year, and then have 3 1/2 months to train to run a (very slow but still WS100 qualifying) 100K.

Hope the rest of y'all are doing well, I've been too bummed to even poke my head in here for a month or two now.  Thanks @ChiefD for tagging me in the virtual HM post.  (oh yeah, "NO").

ChiefD said:
TBD.  I'll be one week post-50K, so it depends how my body feels.  If I do run, it'll just be an easy slog.

That said, even if I don't run, I pledge to donate $13.10 to a local food pantry for every one of you fools who covers the distance next weekend.  Who's with me to that end?

TBD.  I'll be one week post-50K, so it depends how my body feels.  If I do run, it'll just be an easy slog.

That said, even if I don't run, I pledge to donate $13.10 to a local food pantry for every one of you fools who covers the distance next weekend.  Who's with me to that end?
You guys and your imperial measurements.  I'll donate $21.10 for every finisher!

(CAD)  

:)

ChiefD said:

Me

Definitely in, although I might run it the 22nd instead of the 21st as I will be travelling all day on the 20th.  I've been trying to find a decent course where I can do a few loops so that I have a personal aid station at my car.  I will probably scout out the area I am leaning towards this weekend.  I want to do the aid station with snacks and water as I am planning to go at this relatively hard.  That said, not sure how much suffering I'll be willing to put up with under the circumstances.

So the RD threw us a curveball and announced in the official race instructions that we'll be running the trails counterclockwise on Saturday, which is the opposite of literally every other race they've done at this park.  I've never run them in that direction, so I decided to go out there today and give it a try.  Obviously (with it being a loop) it's the exact same net elevation change, but going in this direction definitely felt faster.  I averaged 7:56/mile with just average effort, whereas usually sub-8 requires a decent push.  Seemed to me that there were a few more short, steep hills in this direction, but fewer of the longer, gradual climbs that I absolutely despise.  Definitely makes me feel more confident that an average pace in the 8:15-8:30 range could be do-able.

I also saw the list of everyone who's registered, and there are only 32 of us.  I have more stalking to do, but at first glance, there only appears to be 2-3 of us who have a realistic shot at winning this thing.  Kinda looking forward to it, kinda not (mostly due to the fact that I'm probably 10 lbs over my ideal race weight right now).

So the RD threw us a curveball and announced in the official race instructions that we'll be running the trails counterclockwise on Saturday, which is the opposite of literally every other race they've done at this park.  I've never run them in that direction, so I decided to go out there today and give it a try.  Obviously (with it being a loop) it's the exact same net elevation change, but going in this direction definitely felt faster.  I averaged 7:56/mile with just average effort, whereas usually sub-8 requires a decent push.  Seemed to me that there were a few more short, steep hills in this direction, but fewer of the longer, gradual climbs that I absolutely despise.  Definitely makes me feel more confident that an average pace in the 8:15-8:30 range could be do-able.

I also saw the list of everyone who's registered, and there are only 32 of us.  I have more stalking to do, but at first glance, there only appears to be 2-3 of us who have a realistic shot at winning this thing.  Kinda looking forward to it, kinda not (mostly due to the fact that I'm probably 10 lbs over my ideal race weight right now).
Tracking?

Users who are viewing this thread