What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Plank report: 11/11/20

1:45
I killed my pushup today.

Definitely in, although I might run it the 22nd instead of the 21st as I will be travelling all day on the 20th.  I've been trying to find a decent course where I can do a few loops so that I have a personal aid station at my car.  I will probably scout out the area I am leaning towards this weekend.  I want to do the aid station with snacks and water as I am planning to go at this relatively hard.  That said, not sure how much suffering I'll be willing to put up with under the circumstances.
Huh...I'm doing it, but hadn't thought about aid for it at all. Been doing all my running without anything, but not sure if I push towards race pace (and I haven't even tried that since that ridiculous 5k) how much I'll need at least some water, let alone a gel or something. Might dust off the fuel belt this weekend.

This could lead to some awful floppo implosions, ride with simpering tears and confusion somewhere on the Hudson river.

TBD.  I'll be one week post-50K, so it depends how my body feels.  If I do run, it'll just be an easy slog.

That said, even if I don't run, I pledge to donate $13.10 to a local food pantry for every one of you fools who covers the distance next weekend.  Who's with me to that end?
:wub:

Love it. I'm in the board for a local food pantry here in Indy. I'll be picking up 500 pies a week from Friday for our Turkey drive thru on that Saturday. 

Tracking?
None, unfortunately. :sadbanana:

But I’ll be wearing my Apple Watch with LTE, and a couple of the guys in here have my phone number, so if somebody wants to give me a call to see how I’m doing, as long as I’m not too deep in the pain cave (and assuming I have reception), I’ll try to answer. 

ChiefD said:
2020 ChiefD Thankful For My Blessings Half Marathon

So, typical of myself I throw this idea out back in September and didn't follow up on it, but I am doing this. 

The Saturday before Thanksgiving I will run a half-marathon of some pace to be determined. The goal is to just get out and do a nice long run and kickstart some fitness. Based on the original post, these folks showed interest:

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

@FUBAR 

Any one else want some of this? It's all for fun and just to get out and have a nice long run and hopefully some reports after.  :headbang:
Hope non-regulars are allowed. If so I’m in.

None, unfortunately. :sadbanana:

But I’ll be wearing my Apple Watch with LTE, and a couple of the guys in here have my phone number, so if somebody wants to give me a call to see how I’m doing, as long as I’m not too deep in the pain cave (and assuming I have reception), I’ll try to answer. 
Have you tried using LiveTrack on Garmin yet? We can try it tomorrow if you want. I know I read something about it not working with Apple before but that they were going to try and get it sorted.

ChiefD said:
2020 ChiefD Thankful For My Blessings Half Marathon

So, typical of myself I throw this idea out back in September and didn't follow up on it, but I am doing this. 

The Saturday before Thanksgiving I will run a half-marathon of some pace to be determined. The goal is to just get out and do a nice long run and kickstart some fitness. Based on the original post, these folks showed interest:

Me

@Dr_Zaius

@krista4

@tri-man 47

@xulf

@SFBayDuck

@Zasada

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

@FUBAR 

Any one else want some of this? It's all for fun and just to get out and have a nice long run and hopefully some reports after.  :headbang:
I said yes to this?  :lmao:   

I mean, I can do 13.1 miles on this day, but do I have to give my time...?

Ok. I've slowly getting used to the Garmin...many, many thanks again to gb @gruecd

I've been running by feel and breathing, but I'd like to start using HR in my training. I need a place to start in terms of setting up zones, etc. Any recommendations?

Also, I asked before...but any urban runners beside me? @Harris (new baby?) In Paris...anybody else? The Garmin takes a mile plus to latch onto satellites leaving from my apt. Thats always a warm-up for me anyways, but I'd prefer it to be counted in the workout. (Still running with both the watch and the phone)

Ok. I've slowly getting used to the Garmin...many, many thanks again to gb @gruecd

I've been running by feel and breathing, but I'd like to start using HR in my training. I need a place to start in terms of setting up zones, etc. Any recommendations?

Also, I asked before...but any urban runners beside me? @Harris (new baby?) In Paris...anybody else? The Garmin takes a mile plus to latch onto satellites leaving from my apt. Thats always a warm-up for me anyways, but I'd prefer it to be counted in the workout. (Still running with both the watch and the phone)
Set your garmin by a window and turn it on to run and start locking in 5-10 minutes before you run.

I’d do warmup stuff/walk until it picked up but that would tilt me to have to wait that long. Or you could run a mile that you know is a mile to warm up and add manually and then track with watch thereafter assuming gps picked up in that time. 

Newer Garmins might have somewhat better results. 

My notebook is terrible, not sure which Garmin variant you have.  But in the activity options you might be able to choose which satellite network you use.  Mine gives me three options (GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO).  Or some combination of the three.  Might want to try different options there if you have them.

Go out and run your ### off until you are about ready to die. Add 5 beats and that's your top zone and work down from there. 
Actually, run your ### of until you're about to die (i.e. a hard 5K).  Then sprint as fast as you can for 100m.  Then add 5 bpm.

Have you tried using LiveTrack on Garmin yet? We can try it tomorrow if you want. I know I read something about it not working with Apple before but that they were going to try and get it sorted.
That might work.  I normally don't carry my phone, but since I'll be wearing a CamelBak anyway, and with Mrs. G being 34 weeks pregnant, maybe I will this time.  But doesn't that just give you location? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Newer Garmins might have somewhat better results. 
Probably not. Garmins really struggle to lock onto satellites when you're around tall buildings.  I ran in Chicago this past spring, and mine (Garmin 245) wouldn't catch a signal until I was damn near at the lakeshore.  Same thing last time I was in NY.  Typically have to walk to Central Park or the greenway before it latches on.

Tips on setting up my HR zones?
Trial & error worked for me. I was near peak shape when I finally got a watch January this year, so I think that expedited the process but it took me about a month.

Like @ChiefD said, if you're in appropriate condition put yourself through a sufferfest to try and figure out your max HR. I did an interval workout - 8x3 mins 'hard' to try and establish mine. No matter how hard I pressed it was very difficult to stay over 170 for any length of time. About 2 weeks later I did a 10K tempo that supported those findings - I was in the high 150's for a while but as I crept up to the mid 160's it got real uncomfortable, so I stayed below it until the final mile, when I pushed up to 170ish again. Sustaining in those mid 160's is what I did at that 10K race I got dq'd in just before the pandemic hit. It was uncomfortable throughout, but I was able to keep the pace and didn't have much of a kick left at the end so I think that was about right.

But where I think you will really benefit is in recovery. I very quickly found out that amidst training easy runs in the high 130's-low 140's were not actually easy. My priority workouts did not go well when the glue in between was comprised of that. Once I adjusted and kept my HR near 130 on those easy runs I noticed a sudden and drastic improvement in those priority workouts. There was more to it, but I went from tapping out early on a scheduled 16 mile run @ 7:39 pace (the last 3+ miles felt like death) to comfortably completing the same run @ 7:21 pace just three weeks later.  

Now that I am months out of a training cycle I am not as restrictive with my HR on easy runs. Since I'm not in as good of shape my HR has a tendency to fly up into the 170's when I'm not feeling like I'm working anywhere near as hard as I was in those winter workouts. I am sure to at least stay below 140 on those easy runs though. But whenever I enter a training before the training stage again I'll adjust back to what those winter/spring efforts said - the easy's around 130, the long's in the 140's, the LT's in the 150's, and the vO2's in the 160's.

Trial & error worked for me. I was near peak shape when I finally got a watch January this year, so I think that expedited the process but it took me about a month.

Like @ChiefD said, if you're in appropriate condition put yourself through a sufferfest to try and figure out your max HR. I did an interval workout - 8x3 mins 'hard' to try and establish mine. No matter how hard I pressed it was very difficult to stay over 170 for any length of time. About 2 weeks later I did a 10K tempo that supported those findings - I was in the high 150's for a while but as I crept up to the mid 160's it got real uncomfortable, so I stayed below it until the final mile, when I pushed up to 170ish again. Sustaining in those mid 160's is what I did at that 10K race I got dq'd in just before the pandemic hit. It was uncomfortable throughout, but I was able to keep the pace and didn't have much of a kick left at the end so I think that was about right.

But where I think you will really benefit is in recovery. I very quickly found out that amidst training easy runs in the high 130's-low 140's were not actually easy. My priority workouts did not go well when the glue in between was comprised of that. Once I adjusted and kept my HR near 130 on those easy runs I noticed a sudden and drastic improvement in those priority workouts. There was more to it, but I went from tapping out early on a scheduled 16 mile run @ 7:39 pace (the last 3+ miles felt like death) to comfortably completing the same run @ 7:21 pace just three weeks later.  

Now that I am months out of a training cycle I am not as restrictive with my HR on easy runs. Since I'm not in as good of shape my HR has a tendency to fly up into the 170's when I'm not feeling like I'm working anywhere near as hard as I was in those winter workouts. I am sure to at least stay below 140 on those easy runs though. But whenever I enter a training before the training stage again I'll adjust back to what those winter/spring efforts said - the easy's around 130, the long's in the 140's, the LT's in the 150's, and the vO2's in the 160's.
Yeah, this is what's crazy to me too.  I don't understand how it works (wish we had some Drs. here).  But I was running recently with HR in the 160's and felt completely fine.  When I'm in shape, that's my HMP HR. 

I finally had a run last night where my first mile yesterday was under 140.  The rest went to hell, but I'll take it.

I do the bridge single leg separate, more hip isolation. 
Just realized this is really close to what my doc had me doing when I had runners knee years ago. One foot on the ground, one leg up making t shapes. He said I could do it ### on the ground or in a bridge but the bridge would work more and better. 

Anyone got thoughts on New Balance 1080s, looking at the v10s after reading about v11s coming soon. Want something cushiony, looks appealing. 

Yeah, this is what's crazy to me too.  I don't understand how it works (wish we had some Drs. here).  But I was running recently with HR in the 160's and felt completely fine.  When I'm in shape, that's my HMP HR. 

I finally had a run last night where my first mile yesterday was under 140.  The rest went to hell, but I'll take it.
This.  So this.  Now ERs are run almost entirely below 135 for me.  Yesterday, I ran 21K and my HR was 127 avg.  If I get to 150, I'm really working.  It used to be that 150 was just a given on a run -- even an easy one.

I think respiration is more of an impact to my perceived effort than HR.  As my HR improves, my respiration seems to improve at a much slower rate.

I also saw the list of everyone who's registered, and there are only 32 of us.  I have more stalking to do, but at first glance, there only appears to be 2-3 of us who have a realistic shot at winning this thing.  Kinda looking forward to it, kinda not (mostly due to the fact that I'm probably 10 lbs over my ideal race weight right now).
Stalking completed.  If I do what I think I'm capable of doing based on current fitness, I think there's one guy who I'm gonna be battling.  He ran a 50K on the same trails back on September 12 in 4:20:54 (8:24/mile).  Then he turned around and ran a harder 50K on October 11, finishing in 2nd pace at 4:31:43 (8:45/mile).  So if I can finish somewhere in the 4:20 range, I should be right in the mix.

Anyone got thoughts on New Balance 1080s, looking at the v10s after reading about v11s coming soon. Want something cushiony, looks appealing. 
I've never run in the 1080s, but I know they're popular.  I run almost exclusively in the FuelCell Rebel.

ETA:  Just watched the video on the v11.  Love the new knit upper.  The Rebel has that, too.   :thumbup:

Stalking completed.  If I do what I think I'm capable of doing based on current fitness, I think there's one guy who I'm gonna be battling.  He ran a 50K on the same trails back on September 12 in 4:20:54 (8:24/mile).  Then he turned around and ran a harder 50K on October 11, finishing in 2nd pace at 4:31:43 (8:45/mile).  So if I can finish somewhere in the 4:20 range, I should be right in the mix.
KICK HIS ### SEA-BASS!

I killed my pushup today.

Huh...I'm doing it, but hadn't thought about aid for it at all. Been doing all my running without anything, but not sure if I push towards race pace (and I haven't even tried that since that ridiculous 5k) how much I'll need at least some water, let alone a gel or something. Might dust off the fuel belt this weekend.

This could lead to some awful floppo implosions, ride with simpering tears and confusion somewhere on the Hudson river.
I'm like you in that I don't consume anything during a training run.  That said, I tend to stop at the aid stations during an actual half marathon as I think it helps cool me off and get rid of some of the pastiness in my mouth.  I also usually throw a cookie or something in my pocket for those actual races at around the 7 mile mark.  I know in some sense that is playing with fire, but my stomach is pretty tolerant of such things.

I've never run in the 1080s, but I know they're popular.  I run almost exclusively in the FuelCell Rebel.

ETA:  Just watched the video on the v11.  Love the new knit upper.  The Rebel has that, too.   :thumbup:
Been a fan of the Rebels too then tried the Rebel Echos and they were meh. Will see if I can find local or just take the plunge methinks. 

Set your garmin by a window and turn it on to run and start locking in 5-10 minutes before you run.
If you don't have a view of the southern sky, go outside and try to find a spot that does.  When I had an older Garmin, I would take it off and put it down on the sidewalk, park bench, etc.  When you are stretching, walking around waiting for it to connect, its delayed because of the small movements of your wrist.  Best to put it on a stable unmovable place for it to connect.

Thanks for the HR info, guys. :thumbup:

I recall getting into the 180s, and into the red, back innaday on climbs or sprints. Iirc, 140-150s were cruising race rate. Training less than that depending on the workout.

We'll see where I'm at now. Might wait until after the chief 1/2 so I don't go blowing stuff up.

Looking forward to priming those recovery runs per Mac. I know my legs are currently pushing those faster than I should be going...even though the feel and breathing is all easy.

If you don't have a view of the southern sky, go outside and try to find a spot that does.  When I had an older Garmin, I would take it off and put it down on the sidewalk, park bench, etc.  When you are stretching, walking around waiting for it to connect, its delayed because of the small movements of your wrist.  Best to put it on a stable unmovable place for it to connect.
I'll try the window sill again (south facing). We have patio too, but it's at the bottom of a courtyard between buildings and facing north...don't see satellites reaching that.

On the sidewalk. That's cute.

I dragged my feet on buying a stationary bike, and now my wife is pushing for Peloton.  I have a feeling I'll need to know who the instructors who have the....um...uh.....most talent.

I dragged my feet on buying a stationary bike, and now my wife is pushing for Peloton.  I have a feeling I'll need to know who the instructors who have the....um...uh.....most talent.
Doooooo it.  And I'd be more than happy to bring you up to speed.  :hifive:

ETA:  It's honestly worth the money.  It's a really solid piece of equipment, and the programming is great, too. 

Users who are viewing this thread