Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

It depends on your experience. 

 

I did 12 today after 13.1 yesterday.  Now, I didn't go pretty hard yesterday but I pushed a bit.  I think a lot of positives come from long days back to back.  Its just really important to go real slow on the second one. 

 

If you decide to try it, the first mile of the second day will suck but once you warm up, I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

 

Went on a short bike ride with the kids that felt really good. I'm still hobbling around after yesterday, but a run today would've been nice today too, to loosen things up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • gianmarco

    4447

  • ChiefD

    4440

  • gruecd

    3539

  • MAC_32

    3173

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

9 hours ago, gruecd said:

So what’s the final tally?

My notebook is terrible, and I know I don't have everyone on Strava, but here's my list:

  1. @gruecd
  2.  @Zasada
  3.  @ChiefD
  4.  @bushdocda
  5.  @SteelCurtain
  6.  @Juxtatarot
  7.  @El Floppo
  8.  @JShare87
  9.  @krista4 (Not on Strava)
  10.  @FUBAR  Not on Strava?
  11.  @D_House  Not on Strava?
  12.  @Dr_Zaius On Strava, I think, but private
  13.  @xulf Late entry (today?)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zasada said:

My notebook is terrible, and I know I don't have everyone on Strava, but here's my list:

  1. @gruecd
  2.  @Zasada
  3.  @ChiefD
  4.  @bushdocda
  5.  @SteelCurtain
  6.  @Juxtatarot
  7.  @El Floppo
  8.  @JShare87
  9.  @krista4 (Not on Strava)
  10.  @FUBAR  Not on Strava?
  11.  @D_House  Not on Strava?
  12.  @Dr_Zaius On Strava, I think, but private
  13.  @xulf Late entry (today?)

 

 

#10 = Oz

Edited by gianmarco
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Down & Dirty 5

I was debating whether to drum up the energy to write this report Saturday somewhere in between my 4 afternoon naps, but after reading Chef's epic that was enough for me to decide to wait til today. Part because I didn't want to follow up that masterpiece, but more because given its content I thought it needed to stand alone. I run for me, but he runs for everyone else. This time of year...especially in this particular year, that matters more than anything. You're good people.

But, my race? I've not felt...great, lately. Part of it has been poor diet, but several different nagging problems have developed as I've reintroduced quality post injury. Sometimes it's a stiff lower back, other times tight calves, on occasion tight hamstrings, and most problematic has been my left ankle. Nothing debilitating and perhaps a better diet would help thwart those issues, but it was clear to me late October that whatever I raced this fall would be at best a B effort. I mentioned last week that one of the reasons I chose this particular race is because the kids are going remote after thanksgiving. My wife's job requires her to be on site, so this whole circus is on me. My mother-in-law can help for kid coverage purposes, but due to her condition not any of the tech stuff - it's too much for her. I don't know how much running I'm going to get done between now and christmas, so it was now or never.

Race morning - my wife and I have recently gotten in a habit of having a few drinks and belting out some ballads on the couch each Friday night. No kids allowed. It's our time and really the only our time we get right now, so it being important to us I didn't want to break tradition to ensure I was more prepared for this race. Then I had a half bottle of bulleit. :bag: I broke the race morning rules and popped 3 advil. I know the risks that come with it, but I thought this was a short enough race that maybe I could control my HR long enough without blowing up because there was no other way I was going to overcome that pounding headache. Did the rest of the standard raceday routine, but opted out of the neurotism. And warm-up for that matter. I wanted to run as little as possible given the mistakes from the night before.

Race start - They did this race in two waves, one at 9 am and one at 10:30. Each wave had 30 person pods scheduled 3 minutes apart for corral times (9:00, 9:03, 9:06, 9:09, 10:30, 10:33, 10:36) and they would send runners out individually within each pod about 5 seconds a part from one another. This isn't their first race this year and from what I observed as I waited for my 10:36 pod it went off quite smoothly. To the surprise of no one, I registered for the last possible start time. This decision was made for maximum sleep and successful plumbing purposes, but the extra time helped curb the unexpected hangover too. Cloudy, in the mid 40, with very little wind to speak of - pristine racing conditions. I went with my customary black headband, sleeveless, gloves, shorts, and neon green compression socks. I walk to the line (beep) and we're off.

Mile 1 (6:30 HR 152) - The first half mile dropped 140 feet. I chose the 10:36 pod because I wanted rabbits to chase, but I also knew the course tightened up at the bottom of the hill so I needed to get in front of as many of the slower runners as I could. I did not feel comfortable at first (no warm-up), but I passed dozens on the descent and as I got to the bottom and onto the single track I began to find a groove, which was important because this is not the sorta course you can really settle in to. Knowing when to hit the brakes, put the pedal to the floor, and quickly find that groove again when opportunity arises is how you efficiently manage this track. There was one good 60' climb towards the end of this mile and while this was the first time my HR neared 160 I didn't stop to power hike. That said, I reached the bottom of that hill with 6:07 on my watch and finished the mile in 6:31 - that's just how they make these hills in these parts.

Mile 2 (8:14 HR 160) - I ran these trails when I lived nearby more than a decade ago and I talked to others who have done this race before, so while I wasn't familiar with the race course I knew the next two miles were the hardest. There were constant ups and downs, creek crossings, areas of mud and standing water, and exposed roots coated in slick leaves to high step through - and this was constant throughout the first half mile, resulting in a net gain of 130' and most of the grade was double digit %'s up or down. The three power hiking stretches during this part were only a handful-dozen or so strides, but necessary as my HR kept flying up into the 160's and I was not ready for that yet. I got to the 1.5 mile point, peaked at my watch, saw 9:46, and laughed - but I knew the next half mile would be the only smooth running opportunity for a while. It was on a steady incline, so I ignored my HR sustaining in the 160's because I knew some power hiking would be in my near future. I passed several over this stretch then towards the end of the mile I scooted past 3 people before flying down a 60' hill as my watch buzzed 8:15. I shaved a minute and a half off my pace in a half mile? Niiice.

Mile 3 (8:42 HR 158) - Immediately after pounding that downhill was a 50' 8% hill. With my HR into the mid 160's at this point I did a longer power hike stretch to try and get it back under control because the next quarter mile was a controlled descent of about 60'. I really wanted to smash the pedal to the floor here and did. I had to dance around other runners and skip over some few foot speed bumps along the way, but I was really cooking towards the end. Where there was a hairpin turn. I'm just making up an angle, but 10 degrees sounds about right. It was tight, at the bottom of a hill, with a creek waiting for you if you missed. Which I almost did, but was able to plant my foot a few inches from the rocks before getting back on course. I was in a good spot at this point in the mile, but here was the nastiest stretch of the course. I scooted through that creek crossing, but power hiked up the 60' 15 % hill on the other side. After about 200 meters of mud and standing water with a brief reprieve crossing the road I pounded down a 50' 12% grade hill, through another creek, and did my longest power hike of the race up a 60' 17% momentum killer. As I started jogging again I felt my watch buzz, saw the time, and just shook my head. I was peaking at my watch throughout that mile, but only to get HR readings; I don't recall looking at the time at all. But while my pacing was a mess, my HR wasn't, and I knew the hardest part of this race was behind me.

Mile 4 (7:32 HR 161) - It took me a minute to find my legs again, with my pacing a mess to this point and still going up a steady incline it didn't come back instantly. But after some time on a bridle trail rather than the undulating single track they slowly came back and I began to press. I was treating this race as a 3 3/4 mile race cause I knew it was literally all down hill once getting there. This was the biggest climb of the race (>100'), but terrain and grade matter. This was smooth and only in double digit %'s for a moment, so there wasn't any more power hiking and I let my HR sustain in the 160's. Then once reaching the apex, RELEASE THE KRAKEN! I flipped screens and stopped monitoring HR and avg pace at this point - I only cared about cadence and current pace. It quickly fell to the low 6's, as I gained momentum the 5's, and my cadence constantly read high 160's (this is high for me). 

Mile 5 (6:23 HR 166) - My watch buzzed as the grade flattened out, but I did not take the foot off the gas. Maintain that cadence and keep picking people off. A few 170's popped up over this stretch and for most of it I stayed in the low 6's until a descent beginning at mile 4.5. I didn't check any numbers as I caromed out of control down in my water logged cement shoes nor grinding my way back up the final hill, but as I got into the final controlled descent I looked down and saw more 170's and now with 5's in pacing. Hold. That's the goal here. Hold. 170 and 5-170 and 5-170 and 5...I flew by the lead runner and turned into the final sprint.

Mile 5.2 (5:46 HR 169) - I stopped looking at my watch here and just forced myself to keep doing what I was doing at the end of the last mile. Data says I held it all the way to the final step and I don't remember any of it.

Official time - 38:32, 5th overall, AG win. I won the last heat, but the four fastest times were in the early wave. With less booze the night before maybe I don't power hike as much, but I'm not sure if I could have made up time anywhere else. I came into this race knowing my max effort would be a B and I think I attained that. We'll call it a successful end to a really ####### bizarre year.

That said, I am going to take some time to tend to my wounds now. With all of that down hill pounding my back is a mess right now. I'll do some easy strength training today and Wednesday, maybe go for a short jog tomorrow, then decide Friday if I want to get going again or just wait until next week. I'd still like to get to 2,000 miles this year, but we'll see if the schedule will allow. 

Fin

  • Like 4
  • Love 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zasada said:

My notebook is terrible, and I know I don't have everyone on Strava, but here's my list:

  1. @gruecd
  2.  @Zasada
  3.  @ChiefD
  4.  @bushdocda
  5.  @SteelCurtain
  6.  @Juxtatarot
  7.  @El Floppo
  8.  @JShare87
  9.  @krista4 (Not on Strava)
  10.  @FUBAR  Not on Strava?
  11.  @D_House  Not on Strava?
  12.  @Dr_Zaius On Strava, I think, but private
  13.  @xulf Late entry (today?)

 

 

I just did mine :thumbup:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Down & Dirty 5

I was debating whether to drum up the energy to write this report Saturday somewhere in between my 4 afternoon naps, but after reading Chef's epic that was enough for me to decide to wait til today. Part because I didn't want to follow up that masterpiece, but more because given its content I thought it needed to stand alone. I run for me, but he runs for everyone else. This time of year...especially in this particular year, that matters more than anything. You're good people.

But, my race? I've not felt...great, lately. Part of it has been poor diet, but several different nagging problems have developed as I've reintroduced quality post injury. Sometimes it's a stiff lower back, other times tight calves, on occasion tight hamstrings, and most problematic has been my left ankle. Nothing debilitating and perhaps a better diet would help thwart those issues, but it was clear to me late October that whatever I raced this fall would be at best a B effort. I mentioned last week that one of the reasons I chose this particular race is because the kids are going remote after thanksgiving. My wife's job requires her to be on site, so this whole circus is on me. My mother-in-law can help for kid coverage purposes, but due to her condition not any of the tech stuff - it's too much for her. I don't know how much running I'm going to get done between now and christmas, so it was now or never.

Race morning - my wife and I have recently gotten in a habit of having a few drinks and belting out some ballads on the couch each Friday night. No kids allowed. It's our time and really the only our time we get right now, so it being important to us I didn't want to break tradition to ensure I was more prepared for this race. Then I had a half bottle of bulleit. :bag: I broke the race morning rules and popped 3 advil. I know the risks that come with it, but I thought this was a short enough race that maybe I could control my HR long enough without blowing up because there was no other way I was going to overcome that pounding headache. Did the rest of the standard raceday routine, but opted out of the neurotism. And warm-up for that matter. I wanted to run as little as possible given the mistakes from the night before.

Race start - They did this race in two waves, one at 9 am and one at 10:30. Each wave had 30 person pods scheduled 3 minutes apart for corral times (9:00, 9:03, 9:06, 9:09, 10:30, 10:33, 10:36) and they would send runners out individually within each pod about 5 seconds a part from one another. This isn't their first race this year and from what I observed as I waited for my 10:36 pod it went off quite smoothly. To the surprise of no one, I registered for the last possible start time. This decision was made for maximum sleep and successful plumbing purposes, but the extra time helped curb the unexpected hangover too. Cloudy, in the mid 40, with very little wind to speak of - pristine racing conditions. I went with my customary black headband, sleeveless, gloves, shorts, and neon green compression socks. I walk to the line (beep) and we're off.

Mile 1 (6:30 HR 152) - The first half mile dropped 140 feet. I chose the 10:36 pod because I wanted rabbits to chase, but I also knew the course tightened up at the bottom of the hill so I needed to get in front of as many of the slower runners as I could. I did not feel comfortable at first (no warm-up), but I passed dozens on the descent and as I got to the bottom and onto the single track I began to find a groove, which was important because this is not the sorta course you can really settle in to. Knowing when to hit the brakes, put the pedal to the floor, and quickly find that groove again when opportunity arises is how you efficiently manage this track. There was one good 60' climb towards the end of this mile and while this was the first time my HR neared 160 I didn't stop to power hike. That said, I reached the bottom of that hill with 6:07 on my watch and finished the mile in 6:31 - that's just how they make these hills in these parts.

Mile 2 (8:14 HR 160) - I ran these trails when I lived nearby more than a decade ago and I talked to others who have done this race before, so while I wasn't familiar with the race course I knew the next two miles were the hardest. There were constant ups and downs, creek crossings, areas of mud and standing water, and exposed roots coated in slick leaves to high step through - and this was constant throughout the first half mile, resulting in a net gain of 130' and most of the grade was double digit %'s up or down. The three power hiking stretches during this part were only a handful-dozen or so strides, but necessary as my HR kept flying up into the 160's and I was not ready for that yet. I got to the 1.5 mile point, peaked at my watch, saw 9:46, and laughed - but I knew the next half mile would be the only smooth running opportunity for a while. It was on a steady incline, so I ignored my HR sustaining in the 160's because I knew some power hiking would be in my near future. I passed several over this stretch then towards the end of the mile I scooted past 3 people before flying down a 60' hill as my watch buzzed 8:15. I shaved a minute and a half off my pace in a half mile? Niiice.

Mile 3 (8:42 HR 158) - Immediately after pounding that downhill was a 50' 8% hill. With my HR into the mid 160's at this point I did a longer power hike stretch to try and get it back under control because the next quarter mile was a controlled descent of about 60'. I really wanted to smash the pedal to the floor here and did. I had to dance around other runners and skip over some few foot speed bumps along the way, but I was really cooking towards the end. Where there was a hairpin turn. I'm just making up an angle, but 10 degrees sounds about right. It was tight, at the bottom of a hill, with a creek waiting for you if you missed. Which I almost did, but was able to plant my foot a few inches from the rocks before getting back on course. I was in a good spot at this point in the mile, but here was the nastiest stretch of the course. I scooted through that creek crossing, but power hiked up the 60' 15 % hill on the other side. After about 200 meters of mud and standing water with a brief reprieve crossing the road I pounded down a 50' 12% grade hill, through another creek, and did my longest power hike of the race up a 60' 17% momentum killer. As I started jogging again I felt my watch buzz, saw the time, and just shook my head. I was peaking at my watch throughout that mile, but only to get HR readings; I don't recall looking at the time at all. But while my pacing was a mess, my HR wasn't, and I knew the hardest part of this race was behind me.

Mile 4 (7:32 HR 161) - It took me a minute to find my legs again, with my pacing a mess to this point and still going up a steady incline it didn't come back instantly. But after some time on a bridle trail rather than the undulating single track they slowly came back and I began to press. I was treating this race as a 3 3/4 mile race cause I knew it was literally all down hill once getting there. This was the biggest climb of the race (>100'), but terrain and grade matter. This was smooth and only in double digit %'s for a moment, so there wasn't any more power hiking and I let my HR sustain in the 160's. Then once reaching the apex, RELEASE THE KRAKEN! I flipped screens and stopped monitoring HR and avg pace at this point - I only cared about cadence and current pace. It quickly fell to the low 6's, as I gained momentum the 5's, and my cadence constantly read high 160's (this is high for me). 

Mile 5 (6:23 HR 166) - My watch buzzed as the grade flattened out, but I did not take the foot off the gas. Maintain that cadence and keep picking people off. A few 170's popped up over this stretch and for most of it I stayed in the low 6's until a descent beginning at mile 4.5. I didn't check any numbers as I caromed out of control down in my water logged cement shoes nor grinding my way back up the final hill, but as I got into the final controlled descent I looked down and saw more 170's and now with 5's in pacing. Hold. That's the goal here. Hold. 170 and 5-170 and 5-170 and 5...I flew by the lead runner and turned into the final sprint.

Mile 5.2 (5:46 HR 169) - I stopped looking at my watch here and just forced myself to keep doing what I was doing at the end of the last mile. Data says I held it all the way to the final step and I don't remember any of it.

Official time - 38:32, 5th overall, AG win. I won the last heat, but the four fastest times were in the early wave. With less booze the night before maybe I don't power hike as much, but I'm not sure if I could have made up time anywhere else. I came into this race knowing my max effort would be a B and I think I attained that. We'll call it a successful end to a really ####### bizarre year.

That said, I am going to take some time to tend to my wounds now. With all of that down hill pounding my back is a mess right now. I'll do some easy strength training today and Wednesday, maybe go for a short jog tomorrow, then decide Friday if I want to get going again or just wait until next week. I'd still like to get to 2,000 miles this year, but we'll see if the schedule will allow. 

Fin

A win on a B effort is outstanding. Love how you just went out and crushed it despite the hangover. And to be honest, good on you to keep that tradition going for you and your wife. So important right now.

:thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's 13 HMs and CAD21.10 per #BMF, so my wife just made a CAD275 (USD211) donation to Pawsitive Match.  It's a rescue organization in Calgary.  100% volunteer (no paid staff).  She volunteers there herself, coordinating all the medical care for the animals.  This is what the majority of donations are used for.  We also adopted our two in-house ####-disturbers from there, G and Munkee.

I asked her what animals are currently in need of care, and what this donation would help with.  She shared Georgia's story with me:

Quote

Georgia is an elderly Sheep dog mix who was found as a stray. She was so matted that she kept breaking the groomer's tools when they shaved her down. After seeking help from three specialists, she was found to have severe arthritis in her joints as well as being bladder incontinent which means that she leaks urine all the time so needs to wear diapers. Despite all of her challenges, she has a lovely disposition and has found a palliative foster home but her medications are expensive and she will need them for the rest of her life.

Thank you to everyone who suffered through 13.1 miles this weekend!  Thank you to @ChiefD for the idea, and to @gruecd to put some financial oomph behind it for the benefit of some animals in need.

Edited by Zasada
  • Love 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I went with my customary black headband, sleeveless, gloves, shorts, and neon green compression socks. I walk to the line (beep) and we're off.

No dumdum???

Nice win.  Love the description of the trails and how you ran them.  Kick ###.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zasada said:

No dumdum???

Nice win.  Love the description of the trails and how you ran them.  Kick ###.

:lol:

Sorry, unacceptable omission on my part. Went with strawberry. My gloves also came off early in mile 2 once my HR started flying up.

  • Laughing 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That race report reminds me of the new Netflix special "We Are the Champions".  The first episode on Cheese Rolling is the best episode and covers an annual event in England where people race down a 45 degree hill.  It's great. If you don't have 30 minutes or Netflix, here is a sample

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brony said:

That race report reminds me of the new Netflix special "We Are the Champions".  The first episode on Cheese Rolling is the best episode and covers an annual event in England where people race down a 45 degree hill.  It's great. If you don't have 30 minutes or Netflix, here is a sample

I will never tire of watching cheese rolling videos.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gianmarco said:

#10 = Oz

 

4 hours ago, Zasada said:

You guys and your vacations.  The PSF forum is dangerous!

Just look for the slow guy who swims more lately (not as much as JAA) and took today off. 

I'm getting a COVID test at 1230. 😵

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zasada said:

My notebook is terrible, and I know I don't have everyone on Strava, but here's my list:

  1. @gruecd
  2.  @Zasada
  3.  @ChiefD
  4.  @bushdocda
  5.  @SteelCurtain
  6.  @Juxtatarot
  7.  @El Floppo
  8.  @JShare87
  9.  @krista4 (Not on Strava)
  10.  @FUBAR  Not on Strava?
  11.  @D_House  Not on Strava?
  12.  @Dr_Zaius On Strava, I think, but private
  13.  @xulf Late entry (today?)

 

 

If it ain't on Strava, it didn't happen.... ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zasada said:

That's 13 HMs and CAD21.10 per #BMF, so my wife just made a CAD275 (USD211) donation to Pawsitive Match.  It's a rescue organization in Calgary.  100% volunteer (no paid staff).  She volunteers there herself, coordinating all the medical care for the animals.  This is what the majority of donations are used for.  We also adopted our two in-house ####-disturbers from there, G and Munkee.

I asked her what animals are currently in need of care, and what this donation would help with.  She shared Georgia's story with me:

Thank you to everyone who suffered through 13.1 miles this weekend!  Thank you to @ChiefD for the idea, and to @gruecd to put some financial oomph behind it for the benefit of some animals in need.

All the loves to you, the wife and those ridiculous cats.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And seriously kick ### all the way around from resident speedster, mac. Outfit, dum-dum, trail/race description, and :speed:.

 

 

The other music guys here know I'm an IDLES fan. Always think of mac from their song, grounds

You will not catch me staring at the sun
Not sucking on a dum dum
Not turning round to run

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

:bye:

got KO'd by double hernia surgery in October and am just days away from hitting the road again (finally).  i've not taken this much time off in 10+ years since my youngest was born.. and then i took about 4-5 months off and restarted the C25K program, but i don't remember if it was mix of run/walk, or just running.

i'd been running 15-20 mpw previously. so nothing earth shattering and i knew a break was coming so this wasn't unexpected, but now i'm wondering do i have to start from ground zero again? 

do you veterans of injury hop right back in to running distance? ease back in? if easing back in, at what percentage? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

:bye:

got KO'd by double hernia surgery in October and am just days away from hitting the road again (finally).  i've not taken this much time off in 10+ years since my youngest was born.. and then i took about 4-5 months off and restarted the C25K program, but i don't remember if it was mix of run/walk, or just running.

i'd been running 15-20 mpw previously. so nothing earth shattering and i knew a break was coming so this wasn't unexpected, but now i'm wondering do i have to start from ground zero again? 

do you veterans of injury hop right back in to running distance? ease back in? if easing back in, at what percentage? 

No experience with that injury but I’d ease in very gentle. That feels like one that you could overdo in the moment and then regret.  Not sure what a typical run length/duration was but I’d start with a couple minutes running first to see how residually sore it resulted in.  Add slowly over time in accordance to doc / PT guidance and other exercises/cross training they recommend. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 finishers x $13.10 = $170.30 (rounded up to $200) just donated to HAWS, an open-admission, no-kill animal shelter located about 10 minutes from my house.  

I was never a pet person until my wife convinced me to get Misia back in 2015.  Now I'm one of those guys who would literally run into a burning house and risk my own life to save her.  I literally can't watch those Sarah McLachlan SPCA commercials on TV.  My allergies really limit my ability to do much hands-on volunteer work at the shelter, but I do try to support them financially, and I'd like eventually get involved with their BOD.  

Congratulations again to all of you who ran this past week, and thanks to @ChiefD for coming up with the idea.  :thumbup:

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 2
  • Love 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

Add slowly over time in accordance to doc / PT guidance and other exercises/cross training they recommend. 

so far i've only been to see the surgeon. there hasn't any PT or advice from my general practitioner.  the whole process has been weirdly hands off "you're on your own!"

basically they told me "no exercise for 6 weeks, then you're good to go".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiefD said:

Weird. That was in the marriage vows my wife gave the preacher.

when i told my friends i wanted a quality stunt double for the ceremony i had no idea it was you :excited: 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

so far i've only been to see the surgeon. there hasn't any PT or advice from my general practitioner.  the whole process has been weirdly hands off "you're on your own!"

basically they told me "no exercise for 6 weeks, then you're good to go".

 

I'd start at ground zero for the first week at least. Try a slow 2-3m, walking as needed, and see how it feels. Go from there up or down as it feels.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

so far i've only been to see the surgeon. there hasn't any PT or advice from my general practitioner.  the whole process has been weirdly hands off "you're on your own!"

basically they told me "no exercise for 6 weeks, then you're good to go".

 

I'd start with some sprints at only like 80% and then try doing some 200m repeats at no more than 95% effort.  If things feel good, then I think you're fine to race a 5K this weekend.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1st (Annual?) Run For the Shovel RR

So, I planned on going at this hard, but it was difficult to know exactly where I stood.

Positives:

In the midst of my highest mileage year, Flat course, Decent weather, I tapered

Negatives:

No speedwork at all, no spectators/competition, Bean Attack (see below)

 

So, on the beans.  The wife made pork and beans Thursday night, unbeknownst to us our crock pot is not working right.  Things were taking forever, and when we finally went to eat them the beans were quite undercooked.  So, they didn't taste the best but I figured whatever, I can choke these down, beans are good for you and no sense them going to waste.  It wasn’t until I was laying awake in agony later that night that I remembered reading years ago that undercooked beans can give you some seriously bad juju.  So, I got very little sleep Thursday night, then ate very lightly Friday.  I tried to be good about hydrating, though.  By Saturday I felt pretty decent, but with the beans still lurking bear potential was extremely high.  Still, I decided to give it a go.

The race:

After walking about ¼ mile to warm up, I started, aiming for about 7:05 pace and go from there.

Miles 1-4 (6:59, 7:09, 7:06, 7:08)

Had a bit of trouble dialing in pace, and it just never felt right.  I didn’t feel like I was working hard, but it didn’t feel smooth either.  Also, the wind was up more than expected, and the way the course ran it was basically 1.2 miles into the wind, then 1.2 miles with the wind, etc.  I rarely check my HR because mine is inaccurate so often, but I did around mile two and saw 180, and the fitbit also read 180, so that wasn’t a good sign.  Oh well, nothing to do but soldier on and stop worrying.  Right after the 4 mile mark I ran into a former coworker who was walking and felt compelled to stop to at least say hello, explain why I couldn’t chat and bid adieu.  So, I did pause the watch here for about 15 seconds, which is why if you look at Strava the HM achievement doesn’t quite match the run.

Miles 5-8 (7:06, 7:13, 7:18, 7:21)

This is when I started enjoying things less.  A bit of intestinal distress here but nothing too bad.  I did take a mouthful of water from my car aid station at 7.5, and that didn’t sit real well so I decided I would forgo any snacking or more water for the rest of the race.

Miles 9-11 (7:20, 7:27, 7:30)

Just counting down to the last lap here.  The sun came out for the first time during this stretch, which was unwelcome as it was already a little on the warm side (upper 50s).

Miles 12-Finish (7:40, 7:47, 7:28)

Demotivated myself here by figuring out I should have 1:35:xx and couldn’t realistically reach 1:34:xx.  I hate when I do that.  Road crossing luck also ran out here – had to cross one road 11 times and was 8/8, then all of the last 3 I had to do slight detours due to traffic.  Held it together as best I could, but no last minute heroics attempted.  Forgot about those extra 15 seconds, so D’oh – either 1:35:53 or 1:36:08 depending on how you account.  Either way, kind of meh, but it wasn’t like I was lollygagging it.   

Final thoughts:

Once again I want to thank ChiefD for setting this up, as I have no idea when I will have a “real” race to run.  My original HM from Spring 2020 is now scheduled for Fall 2021, nothing else currently on the horizon.  I’ve been really good about getting out consistently and getting nice long runs in, but I haven’t been motivated to really push myself to do intervals, hill repeats, etc.  This probably highlights the need to DBAP in that regard.  Regardless, family is good, life is good, so if I’m not as fast as I would like to be, need to keep things in perspective.  Happy Thanksgiving!

  • Like 6
  • Love 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

So, on the beans.  The wife made pork and beans Thursday night, unbeknownst to us our crock pot is not working right.  Things were taking forever, and when we finally went to eat them the beans were quite undercooked.  So, they didn't taste the best but I figured whatever, I can choke these down, beans are good for you and no sense them going to waste.  It wasn’t until I was laying awake in agony later that night that I remembered reading years ago that undercooked beans can give you some seriously bad juju.  So, I got very little sleep Thursday night, then ate very lightly Friday.  I tried to be good about hydrating, though.  By Saturday I felt pretty decent, but with the beans still lurking bear potential was extremely high.  Still, I decided to give it a go.

Sorry man. I just had to laugh at this. Beans two days before a "race"?  :lol:

Quote

either 1:35:53 or 1:36:08 depending on how you account.  

 

Oh, come on man. Thats pretty freaking awesome. Especially with dry beans lurking in your colon. 

:thumbup:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'd start with some sprints at only like 80% and then try doing some 200m repeats at no more than 95% effort.  If things feel good, then I think you're fine to race a 5K this weekend.

well, i started doing hills and sprints on the beach the day after i got home from the hospital and really hammered lunge work early. hoping that pays off on Friday :thumbup:

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ChiefD said:
Quote

either 1:35:53 or 1:36:08 depending on how you account.  

 

Oh, come on man. Thats pretty freaking awesome. Especially with dry beans lurking in your colon. 

:thumbup:

Ho-beany-hum with that.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr. furley said:

 

do you veterans of injury hop right back in to running distance? ease back in? if easing back in, at what percentage? 

Ease back in, totally based on feel for the first week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FUBAR said:

 

 

I'm getting a COVID test at 1230. 😵

Rapid test came back negative.

Immediately afterwards we were reinvited to two thanksgivings. I'm highly leaning towards not going. The tests aren't perfect. (Far from really)

We'll get the other results in 12 days. For all the good that does.

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Sorry man. I just had to laugh at this. Beans two days before a "race"?  :lol:

Oh, come on man. Thats pretty freaking awesome. Especially with dry beans lurking in your colon. 

:thumbup:

Yeah, maybe I deserve that - I should probably be more careful in the future.  The thing is, I try not to have my running activities impose too much on the family, so I usually don't do much in the way of run-related dinner requests.  Also, beans typically don't give me any trouble.  In this case, I would have been better off on the all-rice diet.  But hey, we diagnosed our faulty crock pot!

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zasada said:

That's 13 HMs and CAD21.10 per #BMF, so my wife just made a CAD275 (USD211) donation to Pawsitive Match.  It's a rescue organization in Calgary.  100% volunteer (no paid staff).  She volunteers there herself, coordinating all the medical care for the animals.  This is what the majority of donations are used for.  We also adopted our two in-house ####-disturbers from there, G and Munkee.

I asked her what animals are currently in need of care, and what this donation would help with.  She shared Georgia's story with me:

Thank you to everyone who suffered through 13.1 miles this weekend!  Thank you to @ChiefD for the idea, and to @gruecd to put some financial oomph behind it for the benefit of some animals in need.

 

6 hours ago, gruecd said:

13 finishers x $13.10 = $170.30 (rounded up to $200) just donated to HAWS, an open-admission, no-kill animal shelter located about 10 minutes from my house.  

I was never a pet person until my wife convinced me to get Misia back in 2015.  Now I'm one of those guys who would literally run into a burning house and risk my own life to save her.  I literally can't watch those Sarah McLachlan SPCA commercials on TV.  My allergies really limit my ability to do much hands-on volunteer work at the shelter, but I do try to support them financially, and I'd like eventually get involved with their BOD.  

Congratulations again to all of you who ran this past week, and thanks to @ChiefD for coming up with the idea.  :thumbup:

You guys are amazing.  Thank you both so much.  I didn't actually expect my results to count since I'm too embarrassed to share my results on Strava, so I especially appreciate being included.  I'm excited that the donations went to two animal rescues.

Zasada, your two kitties look very similar to two of my three jerkfaces.  In related news, I recently realized that I don't in fact have a COVID-related fever every night, but instead since these jackasses love the fireplace so much I won't turn it off even when it's 1000 degrees in here.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, krista4 said:

 

 I didn't actually expect my results to count since I'm too embarrassed to share my results on Strava, so I especially appreciate being included. 

Oh, come on!

It doesn't matter one iota at what pace this stuff gets done. The important thing is you went out and did it. And to be honest, anyone that does 50 miles of anything in one day (I think that is the distance you did earlier this year) is on a whole other level of bad-### in my book.

:headbang:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Oh, come on!

It doesn't matter one iota at what pace this stuff gets done. The important thing is you went out and did it. And to be honest, anyone that does 50 miles of anything in one day (I think that is the distance you did earlier this year) is on a whole other level of bad-### in my book.

:headbang:

 

:yes:

If you're going further than you would let your kids get in the car without going potty first, you're doing awesome 😎

  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...