Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Ned

1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

Let's do this Chief.  You and me.  Time to shake these anchors and get after it.  :hifive:

Sounds good. I've run the last two days, and something @MAC_32 typed the other day resonated with me:

I had no plan for this morning's run, I was out at a park after appointments and knew I was pressed for time on the other side and just went. After a few minutes I happened to be heading towards a hill then both rewound over the last few days and fast forwarded through the next few and said to myself - hill repeats sounds good.

So Monday night when I went out, I just ran what felt good. And it was a little speedier than I had been but really had no plan - I just ran.

Then last night I wanted to watch the Jayhawks play basketball, but I had to take my son to hockey practice later. Solution? Put the game on my ipad and run on the treadmill right when I got home from work. Started running at the start of the second half and told myself I wouldn't step off until the game was over. So I run a heart rate run at a slow pace, watched the game, and was glad that it didn't go to overtime. :lol:

Today? No idea - I'll see when I get there. So for awhile, my plan is to try and go out every day and at least do something. Turn off the damn heart rate monitor and just run.  One day it may be only two miles - the next day 8. Who knows. But this will be my plan through the end of this month and re-evaluate. 

But man, I need something new and Mac may have hit on a change of pace that might work.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Juxtatarot's 2020 Year-end Report

I’m going to jump the gun on this a little bit and not wait for the template to be reposted.  This will be more free form and mainly for me to get some thoughts written out.  I like to reread stuff I’ve written months and years later as I can forget things.  This might be boring but hopefully at least a few of you will stick with me. 

This is also just about me so sorry in advance for no shout-outs.  I’ll just say that I remain appreciative of our group here and how we help each other.

Overall, I think I had a good year of running although more so the second half of the year.  With no races to stress over, I enjoyed running consistently without a “training” purpose.  I mostly ran about 50 miles a week without super long runs or tempos (for the most part).  I ended up running lots of progressions but those were impromptu when I was feeling good and not because I felt I “had to”. 

I end the year in pretty good shape.  Not as good as marathon shape due to the lower mileage and lack of purposeful runs but good enough to be satisfied considering the year that it was.

Probably most importantly, I started strengthening exercises in June.  Nothing too serious just some body-weight exercises focusing mostly on my core and legs with an emphasis on my posterior chain.  But I have been doing them every day and I have slowly been getting stronger.  This is the longest I’ve kept anything like this up since I started running.  

Injury wise, I’ve made progress this year.  I was pretty much a mess by spring 2019 but  the core problems I had are mostly gone.  I have pain in the hamstring and glutes (mostly on the right side) but that seems to be slowly subsiding.  I think the exercises have played a large role in this. 

My only other notable injury is my right foot.  It’s very stiff and painful after I wake up and after other periods of inactivity but rarely is an issue at all when I run.  I’m hoping focusing on my calf muscles will help this.  It’s not getting worse.

Anyway, I have high expectations for next year.  I hope l continue with the exercises and the added strength will help me not only be healthier but also maybe better?  I’m a very quad-dominant runner and didn’t even have an understanding of how to properly use my posterior chain. Now that I’m a little stronger I think I’m starting to figure out how to engage those muscles.  I don’t naturally like to run like that but I’ve been turning it on at times during runs to try to get used to it.  I hope to continue this and maybe it will eventually become my natural default.

As far as 2021 races, I’m still trying to figure things out.  I won’t plan anything as an A race for the first half of the year.  Maybe I’ll race a short distance race.  But for an A race I’d like plenty of time to feel confident the race will actually happen and enough prep time to properly train.  Hopefully I’ll have that chance in the fall and I’d like to schedule a marathon.  Maybe Indy in November?  Even though I turned 50 this year, I think I can still get better and set another wave of PRs.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

15 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Probably most importantly, I started strengthening exercises in June.  Nothing too serious just some body-weight exercises focusing mostly on my core and legs with an emphasis on my posterior chain.  But I have been doing them every day and I have slowly been getting stronger.  This is the longest I’ve kept anything like this up since I started running.  

Injury wise, I’ve made progress this year.  I was pretty much a mess by spring 2019 but  the core problems I had are mostly gone.  I have pain in the hamstring and glutes (mostly on the right side) but that seems to be slowly subsiding.  I think the exercises have played a large role in this. 

My link

20 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Juxtatarot's 2020 Year-end Report

Awesomeness Juxt. 

Can you expand on the above?  I'd love to start doing something similar so any guidance you can provide would aid in the actual execution.  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

This is great news.  :thumbup:

I've still been doing my planks every day, so hopefully this works for me as well.

One thing I'm always impressed with you is your consistency. You just grind day after day after day, and to continue that THIS year of all years is especially impressive. It's no wonder you have the results you do - you earn them fair and square.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SayWhat? said:

Awesomeness Juxt. 

Can you expand on the above?  I'd love to start doing something similar so any guidance you can provide would aid in the actual execution.  Thanks!

Honestly, @MAC_32 or @gruecd or some of the other guys with a history of fitness could probably  help you more.  I just kind of stumble around doing exercises I feel good about.  I wouldn't feel confident I'd be giving you good advice.  

24 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Honestly, @MAC_32 or @gruecd or some of the other guys with a history of fitness could probably  help you more.  I just kind of stumble around doing exercises I feel good about.  I wouldn't feel confident I'd be giving you good advice.  

I could, but...

29 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Awesomeness Juxt. 

...I'm conflicted about what to say given what you have shared about your specific situation. Cause I've gotten the sense your priority needs to be something along the lines of how to make running a consistent habit. By adding another priority concerns of exceeding your surge capacity are firing through my head. Since you're already struggling trying to identify time to actually exercise I'd recommend focusing on that right now and compliment with simple body weight exercises like push ups, dips, lunges, squats, etc. Have a successful 2-3 months THEN shift focus to finding a strength regimen that works for you while sustaining the running you established this winter. And since you've done  2-3 months of those body weight exercises your learning curve will likely be shortened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

####ed out on my workout today, and not happy about it.  Made it through the first of two sets of 8/4/2 minutes at increasing pace, and I quit for the simple reason that it felt uncomfortably hard.  Having just finished a 5K less than two weeks ago at 6:19 average pace, there's no reason I shouldn't have been able to do the second set.  Yes, it would've hurt, but so what.  Plain and simple, I was just a mental midget today, and I'm disappointed in myself.  I'll move some things around and do it again (the full thing this time) on Friday.

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 1

Today was “chase down runners” day.

Got to wear shorts and my Carmel Bad-### Mutha Effah race shirt today on account of a 68 degree day in December. Had no idea the type of run I wanted today until I saw my first victim.

Saw a dude running about 50 yards ahead of me, so I decided he was my rabbit. Starting just cruising and churning my legs - luckily this coincided with a nice downhill - so I caught him pretty quick.  As I’m getting closer I see another runner about ready to cross my path. He is coming perpendicular to me, so I’m about to turn on his road after I smoke the guy in front of me.

Second runner is definitely running faster than runner number one, so when I make my turn he is a good 30 yards ahead of me. Right off the bat I can tell he is a newish runner - going too fast and clearly checking his gait. His form is way too pretty. Probably related to @gianmarco. Hell, it may have been him, but I couldn’t tell because I smoked his ### pretty quick: I closed that gap in a hurry.

My pace in this stretch was just north of 7:10 or so - you can see on strava where this all went down. After I worked this two guys over I settled in and headed home so I could be there in time for the US Soccer game. Currently enjoying a fire and a cold beer.

@SayWhat? whatcha got? Get you some!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

Going in the am.

I mentioned in butt thread that they wouldn't let me leave the hospital yesterday after my procedure...my HR was 34 for a while, settling at around 37-8 after pacing and walking/running in place tied to the monitor. I'm used to being in the mid 40s, but never in the 30s. They only let me leave after the anaesthesiologist asked if I exercised and how much.

But I've definitely felt *off* today, and didn't want to risk the run. Finished the day late at work having to bike sprint 1/2 hour to Brooklyn to pick up floppinho at school of rock...completely forgot about it. Heart felt better than it did earlier on a couple minutes ride to pick up my lunch, where I was debating a call to the doc.

I'm waking up a little earlier and will do some slower longer miles (6+ instead of 4+), based purely on how things feel. Will shut it down if it doesn't feel right...or pick things up if it does. But no intervals or tempo work the next two days...just want to log some miles to hit 30 over the next 4 days.

• Like 1

Frustrating that I dropped my weekly mileage 10% last week and my butt actually got worse.

Cardio is in fantastic shape right now.  Feel like I could take 15 minutes off my marathon PR.  But even on easy runs this week, my butt is hollering at me the whole time.  I've seen this movie before.  Twice now:  Get into great cardio shape, only to have my butt decide that it's had enough of that ####.

Hope to do a lot of mountains over the holidays (two contiguous weeks up north, yay!), and maybe that will be enough of a change to give my butt a break.  

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 2

My YYC marathon (18 months ago), I ran the first 11K at about a 5:20/km pace and by the end of that 11K my HR was touching 140. 

Today, I ran 11K easy at the same pace, in roughly the same temps, and by the end my HR was just touching 130.

Granted, there's 1000m in elevation difference between DFW and YYC, but today (were it not for my butt), I felt like I could have run another 32km at that pace no problem.  Which would be a 15 minute PR on my marathon time.

Just need to figure out this butt thing and maybe I can (try to) tackle 42.2km again!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Going in the am.

I mentioned in butt thread that they wouldn't let me leave the hospital yesterday after my procedure...my HR was 34 for a while, settling at around 37-8 after pacing and walking/running in place tied to the monitor. I'm used to being in the mid 40s, but never in the 30s. They only let me leave after the anaesthesiologist asked if I exercised and how much.

But I've definitely felt *off* today, and didn't want to risk the run. Finished the day late at work having to bike sprint 1/2 hour to Brooklyn to pick up floppinho at school of rock...completely forgot about it. Heart felt better than it did earlier on a couple minutes ride to pick up my lunch, where I was debating a call to the doc.

I'm waking up a little earlier and will do some slower longer miles (6+ instead of 4+), based purely on how things feel. Will shut it down if it doesn't feel right...or pick things up if it does. But no intervals or tempo work the next two days...just want to log some miles to hit 30 over the next 4 days.

How's the HR today? 

Starting to feel legit better and will get out for some walks this weekend once we clear quarantine. Worked my way off OTC meds this week and my bowling ball head is feeling lighter. 

Tempted to spin the peloton and it probably would be fine especially how easy I ride.  But I will be trying to give myself another full week of no exercise once I am symptom free to reduce my risk of heart issues. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Juxt - sounds like a pretty good year considering covid and injuries. No specific races to anchor on, but those impromptu progression runs can be be really fulfilling. Hope that your health continues into 2021 and you can begin to #### things up in 50-54 AG once races open up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gruecd said:

####ed out on my workout today, and not happy about it.  Made it through the first of two sets of 8/4/2 minutes at increasing pace, and I quit for the simple reason that it felt uncomfortably hard.  Having just finished a 5K less than two weeks ago at 6:19 average pace, there's no reason I shouldn't have been able to do the second set.  Yes, it would've hurt, but so what.  Plain and simple, I was just a mental midget today, and I'm disappointed in myself.  I'll move some things around and do it again (the full thing this time) on Friday.

Decided this morning to take the "glass half-full" approach on this and be happy that I "get to" do 1-1/2 workouts this week instead of just one.

• Like 7

:hey:

I have no desire to do a year end report. It is depressing how much I have fallen off the wagon. But trying to get back to it. Been a bit of a wimp lately by retreating to the gym to run on the treadmill cause I just can't make myself go out in the cold even though it is not really that cold. Did go outside yesterday and run. Plan to do so today too. If it is 50+ in December, there is no excuse not to get out, imo. Have so much work to do and need some help being kicked in the ### not keep making bad excuses. Hopefully I can put together some semblance of a decent finish to the year in December and get back on track for 2021. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gruecd said:

See you in Indy... 

Reveal hidden contents

...where you'll inevitably beat me again. 

:kicksrock:

@Juxtatarot I know that I committed to Indy in 2020, but as of right now I can't commit for 2021.  I am running the Bourbon Chase in October and in September it will be my 20 year wedding anniversary and I am sure we'll be taking a trip for that.  I'm not saying I'm out for Indy it's just that there is an order of operations in which these plans get made and I need to figure out the anniversary stuff first. Complicating all of this is a potential kitchen renovation that gives me heartburn just thinking about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pbm107 said:

@Juxtatarot I know that I committed to Indy in 2020, but as of right now I can't commit for 2021.  I am running the Bourbon Chase in October and in September it will be my 20 year wedding anniversary and I am sure we'll be taking a trip for that.  I'm not saying I'm out for Indy it's just that there is an order of operations in which these plans get made and I need to figure out the anniversary stuff first. Complicating all of this is a potential kitchen renovation that gives me heartburn just thinking about it. 

If it happens, good chance I'll be there too.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

In case you're wondering, a kitchen reno in December and January in the great lakes region when you're working from home and the kids are remote learning is a historically bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 6

Hit 2000 miles and 200 hours year to date today.   No goal on this in mind, just a simple milestone, but happy to have many more hours than any other year.  

I've (wrongly) assumed that if my legs could handle outdoor biking at x miles per week, then no changes would be needed for indoor biking at the same volumes.   Got the roller out last night and found lots and lots of trouble spots.  Yowza.  Need to get more stretching and rolling in the mix. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

After hearing @SayWhat? and @The Iguana talk about motivational challenges and thinking about my own.  Would it be helpful if we each put our current mileage and where we hope to end 2020 with?  That will make us have a short term goal of mileage (not pace) and we can all push each other to at least hit a goal in the next 3 weeks. (The robots @Juxtatarot and @gruecd don't need to participate if this is below you. :P)

I'll start and say I'm at 1,869 miles this year and my goal is to get to 2,000 miles with a stretch goal of 2,020 miles by end of year.

Edited by SteelCurtain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

In case you're wondering, a kitchen reno in December and January in the great lakes region when you're working from home and the kids are remote learning is a historically bad idea.

Simplified your post.

Edited by gruecd

24 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

After hearing @SayWhat? and @The Iguana talk about motivational challenges and thinking about my own.  Would it be helpful if we each put our current mileage and where we hope to end 2020 with?  That will make us have a short term goal of mileage (not pace) and we can all push each other to at least hit a goal in the next 3 weeks. (The robots @Juxtatarot and @gruecd don't need to participate if this is below you. :P)

I'll start and say I'm at 1,869 miles this year and my goal is to get to 2,000 miles with a stretch goal of 2,020 miles by end of year.

I could tell you pretty much exactly what I'm going to run between now and year-end, minus the 1-3 days I'll miss when the baby is born.

24 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

1,875 here. Continuing my streak of 2K is the goal, but it's going to take 3 weeks of needle threading to make it happen.

29 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I'll play.

Currently have 1005 miles, which is more than I expected. So I will set a goal to run 95 miles in the next few weeks to finish off at an even 1100.

Edited by ChiefD

Yearly summary

2019 - Averaged 6 hours a month on the peloton bike, kinda doing bare minimum to keep active
Jan-Mar 2020 8-9 hours on peloton bike, no running
April - 15 hours of exercise, combo peloton and starting to run
May - 26 hours combo road bike, peloton and running
June - 23 hours - 10k PR at 55:30(previous PR was 56:01 in 2003)
July - 30 hours
August - 28 hours including my first half marathon 1:57 and change(goal was 2 hours)
September - 19 hours
October - 17 hours new 10k PR at 50:26, dropped 5 min in 4 months, goal is to break 50 min in 2020
November - 20 hours all peloton in friendly challenge to ride 400 miles(rode 402 miles)
December - after biking all Nov trying to focus back on running to see if I can take one last run at 10k under 50 min

Misc stuff, lost 20lbs, 20 more to go
Best 5k time was 24:something, ran a 19:20 in high school so long way to go there
Longest outdoor bike ride was 36.5 miles
2020 biggest accomplishment - no injuries

• Like 9
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Today was “chase down runners” day.

Got to wear shorts and my Carmel Bad-### Mutha Effah race shirt today on account of a 68 degree day in December. Had no idea the type of run I wanted today until I saw my first victim.

Saw a dude running about 50 yards ahead of me, so I decided he was my rabbit. Starting just cruising and churning my legs - luckily this coincided with a nice downhill - so I caught him pretty quick.  As I’m getting closer I see another runner about ready to cross my path. He is coming perpendicular to me, so I’m about to turn on his road after I smoke the guy in front of me.

Second runner is definitely running faster than runner number one, so when I make my turn he is a good 30 yards ahead of me. Right off the bat I can tell he is a newish runner - going too fast and clearly checking his gait. His form is way too pretty. Probably related to @gianmarco. Hell, it may have been him, but I couldn’t tell because I smoked his ### pretty quick: I closed that gap in a hurry.

My pace in this stretch was just north of 7:10 or so - you can see on strava where this all went down. After I worked this two guys over I settled in and headed home so I could be there in time for the US Soccer game. Currently enjoying a fire and a cold beer.

@SayWhat? whatcha got? Get you some!

I'll tell you what I've got Chief!  I sat back down at my computer last night from 7-10:30pm and prepped for a big meeting today, so by the time I got to sleep it was after 11pm.  The good news?  I got my ### up at 5:15am for a treadmill run!  The bad news?  My awesome diet of late led to some, ummmm, GI issues at mile 2.  So, after a quick trip to the bathroom (two, actually), I did a bit of core/strength training since the stomach wasn't feeling well.  But I'm crushing productivity today thus far, so that's a bonus. 

My plan is to start writing everything down on a daily basis in a better attempt at accountability.  Thus far I'm planning to generally document sleep, weight, water intake, soda intake, vitamin intake, exercise, and food consumption.  I'm hoping that if I start seeing what I'm putting in my body and how much/little I'm exercising, then I'll hold myself a bit more accountable.  Day 1 to better habits...

7 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

@SayWhat? - whatcha hoping to run this weekend?

For me I’m hoping to get to 50 miles per week again.  I’m currently at 20 and it’s Thursday morning.  I better get up and moving.  

Oh, I see you holding me accountable already!  Damn you.  Well, meeting a neighbor for a run mid-morning on Saturday.  Likely go 4 with him, and then may add on a couple on my own.  And since I'm into accountability now, I'll plan on a 8-10 mile easy run on Sunday.   Will try to report back on Sunday night and see if I've stuck to it. 

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

No.  Embarrassed.  :scared:  

But I won't be embarrassed.  Will report back in 12 months.  ;)

Edited by SayWhat?
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

I got my ### up at 5:15am for a treadmill run!  

:headbang:

11 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

The bad news?  My awesome diet of late led to some, ummmm, GI issues at mile 2.

Well, yeah. Your stomach was like: "What the ####, man? Do you not realize it is 5:15 am?" 

Glad you got up and got some training in. Excellent first step. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

My plan is to start writing everything down on a daily basis in a better attempt at accountability.  Thus far I'm planning to generally document sleep, weight, water intake, soda intake, vitamin intake, exercise, and food consumption. 

Myfitnesspal can do most of this for you.  I've been using it for about 10 years now.  Always nice to see a 10-year trend of weight loss!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

My current goals have nothing to do with yearly totals. Those are meaningless with how inconsistent I've been since May. 

My goal right now is to run 4 or 5 days a week every week the rest of the year. A December total of 80 miles or so would make me happy to hopefully kick off the new year with some momentum and then put together a plan that I actuallystick to. 

• Like 3