What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Myfitnesspal can do most of this for you.  I've been using it for about 10 years now.  Always nice to see a 10-year trend of weight loss!
Thanks!  Used this a number of years back (5+ I think), and loved it for gaining an understanding of what I was putting in my body and the data behind it.  I have a pretty good idea on that front now, so I’m just generally looking to force myself to write down, on paper and in front of my eyes, all the things on a daily basis that I can control.  That way if I eat, say five donuts, it’s not just a log of 1,000 calories in MFP.  Rather, it’s in front of my face staring at me and hopefully I will feel more guilty about it.  Similarly if the “exercise” line is blank, that’s no bueno and something I can control by doing something as simple as “15 minutes - core work.”  I’m only on day 2, but trying to make myself commit to this for a longish period to establish better habits all around.  I’m optimistic, but we will see.  

In bed at 9:30pm, eight hours of sleep, 5 miles on the treadmill this morning.  Sitting at my desk ready to start the day at 7am.  💪🏻
Something I want to put between your ears now - this first step was hard. The second and third ones will be too. But the hardest one lies somewhere towards the end of January/early February - sustaining this beyond 6-8 weeks. I'm not gonna suggest what to do when that time comes, but make a plan now and be prepared for it.

Something I want to put between your ears now - this first step was hard. The second and third ones will be too. But the hardest one lies somewhere towards the end of January/early February - sustaining this beyond 6-8 weeks. I'm not gonna suggest what to do when that time comes, but make a plan now and be prepared for it.
I read somewhere that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit.  I found once I started working out early in the AM again, it was really rough the first couple weeks but by week 3, it was becoming my new normal.  I hope that same thing happens for @SayWhat?.  We are here to support you and cheer you on! 

(I say this as I was lazy this morning and didn't workout.  So now I'm stuck with an afternoon workout.)

Thanks.  I wish I could say it felt completely locked in, but I got it done.  Will be interesting to see how the next few days go.
Your pacing was insane... Like to the second for all 8 miles. Made me realize my own has been all over the place, something I used to be much better about. Inspiring me to work on that again.

Your pacing was insane... Like to the second for all 8 miles. Made me realize my own has been all over the place, something I used to be much better about. Inspiring me to work on that again.
If you get yourself a watch with lap pacing, it's easier to do.  Not sure your '87 retro version has it (it should, though). Dumb thing is I never realized to use it until recently and learned it from the guys here.

That said, I actually didn't watch it much until I got close to the end of each mile and was usually right around that spot on my own. The only time it wasn't was the last mile which was a brutal 100' climb that I had to push at the end to get to the same pace as the others. There was no way I was going to have that one be off.

####ed out on my workout today, and not happy about it.  Made it through the first of two sets of 8/4/2 minutes at increasing pace, and I quit for the simple reason that it felt uncomfortably hard.  Having just finished a 5K less than two weeks ago at 6:19 average pace, there's no reason I shouldn't have been able to do the second set.  Yes, it would've hurt, but so what.  Plain and simple, I was just a mental midget today, and I'm disappointed in myself.  I'll move some things around and do it again (the full thing this time) on Friday.
Nailed it on the second try.  Two sets of 8/4/2 minutes with 2-min recovery jogs between reps and between two sets.  First set 6:27/6:18/6:07 and second set a tad faster at 6:22/6:11/6:00.  Laced up the Endorphin Pros, put Eminem's "Recovery" album on shuffle, and let 'er rip.  

NE winds at 22-24mph and wind chills in the teens tomorrow morning will probably have me back on the treadmill for 9 more.  Not ready for that ish yet.

Nailed it on the second try.  Two sets of 8/4/2 minutes with 2-min recovery jogs between reps and between two sets.  First set 6:27/6:18/6:07 and second set a tad faster at 6:22/6:11/6:00.  Laced up the Endorphin Pros, put Eminem's "Recovery" album on shuffle, and let 'er rip.  

NE winds at 22-24mph and wind chills in the teens tomorrow morning will probably have me back on the treadmill for 9 more.  Not ready for that ish yet.
Good call. #### the cold.

If you get yourself a watch with lap pacing, it's easier to do.  Not sure your '87 retro version has it (it should, though). Dumb thing is I never realized to use it until recently and learned it from the guys here.

That said, I actually didn't watch it much until I got close to the end of each mile and was usually right around that spot on my own. The only time it wasn't was the last mile which was a brutal 100' climb that I had to push at the end to get to the same pace as the others. There was no way I was going to have that one be off.
The watch has a virtual pacer. I haven't used that, or most of the features yet. 

I was just looking at the specifics of this workout and it's pretty insane, IMO.  It's similar to @JShare87 running 5 miles at 10K pace in the middle of 9 miles.

@gruecd 's 5K pr is 19:09, or 6:09 pace.  He just did close to that pace overall, and even faster for final 2 minutes, for 14 minutes or about 2 1/3 miles.  Then did it AGAIN with only 2 minutes recovery.  That's well over a 5K at just under 5K PR pace with only 2 minutes of rest.

Oof.

I was just looking at the specifics of this workout and it's pretty insane, IMO.  It's similar to @JShare87 running 5 miles at 10K pace in the middle of 9 miles.

@gruecd 's 5K pr is 19:09, or 6:09 pace.  He just did close to that pace overall, and even faster for final 2 minutes, for 14 minutes or about 2 1/3 miles.  Then did it AGAIN with only 2 minutes recovery.  That's well over a 5K at just under 5K PR pace with only 2 minutes of rest.

Oof.
Appreciate the kind words, but my legit (non-elevation-aided) PR is 18:40.

Hey y'all

The gym closed the pool for a week to paint :rant:  so I hit weights yesterday. Every time I hit weights I vow to do it more often but tend to fall back into my slug, lazy ways of just swimming, running and cycling. It's a tough balance. 

Nice easy workout there gru. Did you break a sweat?

Nice easy workout there gru. Did you break a sweat?
Does @ChiefD #### in the woods?

That’s honestly the best thing about having invested in a nice treadmill for my basement. I can run shirtless, and I’ve got two fans going at full blast, one on each side of me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The legs were tired today. Started off thinking I would do my prospect Park loop, but decided to run on the flats by the waterfront

to red Hook and back. Decided to pick up the back half in spite of the tired legs.

About 13.5.

Eta.. and remembered to bring the credit card and pick up bagels for the brat kids.

I mean, how are you glutes.
Glutes/hips seem cautiously OK again.  It worked well to lay low for a few weeks.  I'll keep building up my weekly mileage, but as we get move into the winter season, there's no need to overdo the training right now.  I look forward to reading back through to see what's been goin' on here!

gruecd said:

That’s honestly the best thing about having invested in a nice treadmill for my basement. I can run shirtless, and I’ve got two fans going at full blast, one on each side of me. 
Please do share, if you don’t mind.  Our 15 year old treadmill is on its last legs.  Actually placed an order for one, but am second guessing a bit so curious what others have and/or recommend.  

Please do share, if you don’t mind.  Our 15 year old treadmill is on its last legs.  Actually placed an order for one, but am second guessing a bit so curious what others have and/or recommend.  
I've never run on one, but I've had three recent richie-rich clients get Woodway. None of them look like runners though...

I've never run on one, but I've had three recent richie-rich clients get Woodway. None of them look like runners though...
Yeah, that’s a high end piece of equipment.  I’ve never run on one, but have heard they’re awesome. Aren’t the Woodway’s non-motorized?  Not sure I’d like that, seems like a lot of work.  😂

I bought the Matrix TF50 XIR.  The brand is big in the commercial (gym) world, newer in the home gym space.  I looked at the Peloton Tread, NordicTrack, etc., and while this one certainly doesn't have as many bells and whistles, it's just a better machine.  Stronger motor, better warranty, etc.  I wanted something that could handle a 200-pound dude running intervals at 10mph, so that's what I got.  A lot of the other brands advertise their CHP, but they don't tell you the RPM rating.  I dare you to try to find it for a NordicTrack.  With Matrix, you take off the cover, and it's right there on the motor.  NordicTrack, nada.  Scour their website, nada.  Call and ask customer service, nada.  It's because their motors have so little torque that they need to spin super fast to generate power, making them less likely to last long.  The Matrix has a lifetime warranty on the frame, motor, and cushioning, seven years on parts, and five years on the console.  They also offered me zero-percent financing, so I was happy to take their interest-free loan and keep my money invested in the market.

The importance of RPMs

Rotations per Minute (RPMs) is really important in motor design. The relationship between continuous horsepower and RPM is torque. This is the most significant factor when determining the best suitable motor for you needs. The lower the RPM of a motor, the more torque it will have – torque being the measure of a tendency to cause rotation; in other words, the power to turn. This allows the motor to last longer. I strongly recommend a motor with an RPM rating of 4000 or lower, but never more than 5000.

This is crucial because this is where a lot of manufacturers begin to play with, and boost, the ratings above 2.5 in to the 3.5 and 4 HP range. In a lot of those cases, if we examine the plate stamped on the treadmill, you will find RPM ratings in the 7000 to 8000 range. This is how they can get away with these bloated HP rating numbers. These motors are spinning way too fast and working way too hard to last the years you should expect out of a quality treadmill. RPM tinkering is only one way in which a manufacturer can boost the horsepower rating of a treadmill motor.

Yeah, that’s a high end piece of equipment.  I’ve never run on one, but have heard they’re awesome. Aren’t the Woodway’s non-motorized?  Not sure I’d like that, seems like a lot of work.  😂
Meh.  I've run on those.  Don't like 'em.

They have motorized ones and they are amazing.  It's not like running on a treadmill at all.  But they aren't cheap.

I bought the Matrix TF50 XIR.  The brand is big in the commercial (gym) world, newer in the home gym space.  I looked at the Peloton Tread, NordicTrack, etc., and while this one certainly doesn't have as many bells and whistles, it's just a better machine.  Stronger motor, better warranty, etc.  I wanted something that could handle a 200-pound dude running intervals at 10mph, so that's what I got.  A lot of the other brands advertise their CHP, but they don't tell you the RPM rating.  I dare you to try to find it for a NordicTrack.  With Matrix, you take off the cover, and it's right there on the motor.  NordicTrack, nada.  Scour their website, nada.  Call and ask customer service, nada.  It's because their motors have so little torque that they need to spin super fast to generate power, making them less likely to last long.  The Matrix has a lifetime warranty on the frame, motor, and cushioning, seven years on parts, and five years on the console.  They also offered me zero-percent financing, so I was happy to take their interest-free loan and keep my money invested in the market.
You can't hang a TV but now all of sudden you're a motor expert?

gruecd said:

That's almost how I feel about the bike trainer. I'll put it out on the driveway in the 30s, fan on, shirt off, with a towel to wipe my head (bald guy sweat). My feet get cold but I'm warm overall.

gruecd said:
Saw a girl run past my house around noon (despite the wind and snow), so I knew that treadmill was no longer an option.

9 miles done at 7:47/mile, and other than the cold, wet feet and the wind blasting in my face whenever I headed north, it wasn’t bad at all. Legs felt really good despite the hard workout less than 24 hours ago.  I think the foam rolling made a big difference, and I need to do more of that.  I wasn't sure of the footing, so I decided to wear trail shoes.  As you all know, I'm primarily (almost exclusively) a New Balance guy, but I still had a pair of Saucony Peregrine ISOs that I won at a race last year, so I decided to break them out.  As @gianmarco is well aware, I hated the Peregrine ICE+, and I think the Kinvaras and the Endorphin Pros are just so-so, but I really liked the ISOs.  They might even become my to-go trail shoe going forward.

Fast-finish 14-miler on tap for tomorrow, and then I get a day off. 

Users who are viewing this thread