What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (16 Viewers)

This is a little long.  Looking for advise.

I can't remember if I discussed this here in the spring.  My son has been doing very well in school for past couple years and my wife and I are sometimes concerned if he is being challenged enough.  He just finished 6th grade and will be entering a 7th/8th junior high this year.  

We did not know this until maybe midway through last year, but his previous school did the initial split between regular college prep and advanced/honors prior to 5th grade.  He was not placed in any advanced classes.  Not a big deal, but he has always been an avid reader and likes to write, so we looked into whether he could be put into advanced language arts for 7th grade.  I talked to his teacher, she said he would do well, etc., so I filled out the form for the request and mailed it in in May. 

School starts Aug 16, but schedules are not viewable online until Aug 10.  I figured we would just wait and see where he was placed.

Well, my son talked to a buddy that has been in the advanced classes for a few years, and I guess the kids received a letter at beginning of summer about summer reading requirements.  

I called the school this week to see if my son was placed in the advanced class and they confirmed.  I asked about this assignment and was told "it was online".  

They have to read some 300+ page book, write a number of pages of notes along the way about different literary devices and interpretation blah blah blah.  

I ordered the book and we should be getting it today.  But I have some concerns.  My son can be prone to some anxiety when being overwhelmed, and his overall disposition is rather crappy because he just got braces last week and he is rather uncomfortable.  

So he has exactly 3 weeks to do this assignment.  I see my options as :

1. Push him to get through this and basically have him lose his last couple weeks of summer to get it done.  

2. Have him do some, but don't worry about getting it done before school starts.  See what happens once school starts.  Maybe call the teacher and see if he can get an extension.  

3. Forget it and put him back in the "regular" class.  Looking at the assignment, I think some of this may be beyond his capabilities.  

I want him to be challenged but don't want him to be overwhelmed.  He's already starting two years "behind" the rest of the kids in this class.  

I can't remember if I discussed this here in the spring.  My son has been doing very well in school for past couple years and my wife and I are sometimes concerned if he is being challenged enough.  He just finished 6th grade and will be entering a 7th/8th junior high this year.  

We did not know this until maybe midway through last year, but his previous school did the initial split between regular college prep and advanced/honors prior to 5th grade.  He was not placed in any advanced classes.  Not a big deal, but he has always been an avid reader and likes to write, so we looked into whether he could be put into advanced language arts for 7th grade.  I talked to his teacher, she said he would do well, etc., so I filled out the form for the request and mailed it in in May. 

School starts Aug 16, but schedules are not viewable online until Aug 10.  I figured we would just wait and see where he was placed.

Well, my son talked to a buddy that has been in the advanced classes for a few years, and I guess the kids received a letter at beginning of summer about summer reading requirements.  

I called the school this week to see if my son was placed in the advanced class and they confirmed.  I asked about this assignment and was told "it was online".  

They have to read some 300+ page book, write a number of pages of notes along the way about different literary devices and interpretation blah blah blah.  

I ordered the book and we should be getting it today.  But I have some concerns.  My son can be prone to some anxiety when being overwhelmed, and his overall disposition is rather crappy because he just got braces last week and he is rather uncomfortable.  

1. Push him to get through this and basically have him lose his last couple weeks of summer to get it done.  

2. Have him do some, but don't worry about getting it done before school starts.  See what happens once school starts.  Maybe call the teacher and see if he can get an extension.  

3. Forget it and put him back in the "regular" class.  Looking at the assignment, I think some of this may be beyond his capabilities.  

I want him to be challenged but don't want him to be overwhelmed.  He's already starting two years "behind" the rest of the kids in this class.  
LOOK AT ME AND MY KID WHO GOT GENES FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE

very cool about your son, shuke. I lean towards #2, given his predisposition to anxieties- have him do it in a way that doesn't freak him out. I'd reach out to the teacher right away and talk about the anxieties and the very late notice for doing this work. if you hadn't reached out, your son wouldn't have known about it at all- so wouldn't be doing it regardless. not fair to to anybody. even though I'm leaning #2, I do believe that pushing through it will arm your kid with some gumption for dealing with other things later in life that aren't fair... so I"m amending my vote for 1.5. do your best to set him up with an attainable goal of getting it done, but in a calm not-anxious way... if possible.

He just finished 6th grade and will be entering a 7th/8th junior high this year.  

[...]

My son can be prone to some anxiety when being overwhelmed, and his overall disposition is rather crappy because he just got braces last week and he is rather uncomfortable.  
In my experience most kids have crappy dispositions at that age, braces or not.

Not responsive to your question, I realize.

I agree that you should talk to the teacher.

I ordered the book and we should be getting it today.  But I have some concerns.  My son can be prone to some anxiety when being overwhelmed, and his overall disposition is

This should be a great opportunity for you to work with your son and help him with time management and overcome any potential anxieties.

As you are looking at about 3 weeks until school starts, have him work on setting aside 30 minutes or so per day to read 15-20 pages.  That should allow ample time for him to finish this without being too overwhelmed.  Hell, some days (depending on the book) he may really get into it and read 40-50 pages.  This is a good age for him to start working on allotting time to work on assignments rather than free time.  

Just because he hasn't been in AP classes the past two years, doesn't at all mean he is behind on any curriculum.  Each school year is different.  The AP classes just move at a bit faster pace which he'll need to adjust to.

Someone on here a month or two ago posted about headaches or concussions and I promised them a reply.  Can't remember who that was. I just posted it in the CTE thread.  

Someone on here a month or two ago posted about headaches or concussions and I promised them a reply.  Can't remember who that was. I just posted it in the CTE thread.  
Based on my notebook, I would guess it was RC94.

Could have been proninja too, but his brain problems go well beyond simple concussions.

Bob Sacamano said:
-thorn added rapey as logical adjective to modify dickmitten

-shot videos became all the rage

-Shot video regret and thorning were also soon invented

-thorn caught aids? I'm pretty sure I got that right.

-thorn needs to shut up
Sounds about right.

I think the first half, but don't go into it assuming the second.  Just talk to the teacher, let him/her know what happened, express your concerns, and see what their response is.  It's possible no extension is needed. Maybe they don't get into it for a couple of weeks and he has a little more time than you think.  You might find some advice or reason for optimism (or pessimism, I suppose) that you didn't expect, which might lead you one direction or another. 

Personally, I'd rather have my daughter challenged and struggling a bit than breezing through something less challenging.  Better prepared for the real world and all that.  But I also appreciate your concerns about him being overwhelmed.

Thanks guys for the advice.  

I called the school to see if I could talk to the teacher.  Was told they weren't there yet and we would know who the teacher is during open house on Aug 9.

So we are going to push him to do as much as possible and see where we are then. 

I guess I have lingering concern about being one of those parents who thinks their kid belongs in advanced classes when he has no right being in them, and this whole thing has me reconsidering again.

Based on my notebook, I would guess it was RC94.

Could have been proninja too, but his brain problems go well beyond simple concussions.
Thanks, it was @RC94
I either missed the talk, or my brain forgot the talk.

I've gone through way too many concussions... oh right!- I did write this already in response... but thankfully only suffer full-time from tinnitus and some recall issues. no head-aches than god.

I called the school to see if I could talk to the teacher.  Was told they weren't there yet and we would know who the teacher is during open house on Aug 9.

So we are going to push him to do as much as possible and see where we are then. 

I guess I have lingering concern about being one of those parents who thinks their kid belongs in advanced classes when he has no right being in them, and this whole thing has me reconsidering again.
you didn't place him in the class, right?

and besides- and I suffer the same thoughts as you, and it's really my wife is the advocate... nobody else will have your kid's back in the way you will. nobody else is there to advocate on their behalf the way you will. if you not you, who? if not now, when? if not him, that guy? in not a sandwich, what? etc.

Not to be harsh, but if he can't read a 300 page book in 3 weeks in 7th grade, he may not do well in an advanced class.

you didn't place him in the class, right?
Essentially, I did.

El Floppo said:
Ok good smart people of jimtan, I need a quick and easy recipe to make for the family for dinner tonight.
definitely not blackberry lime scones.  screwed those up again this morning.  I suck out loud at baking.

definitely not blackberry lime scones.  screwed those up again this morning.  I suck out loud at baking.
Same here.  Mrs. O makes awesome soft pretzels.  I tried to make them once and it was a total failure.  Do you know how much effort goes into making them?  Eff that!

This should be a great opportunity for you to work with your son and help him with time management and overcome any potential anxieties.

As you are looking at about 3 weeks until school starts, have him work on setting aside 30 minutes or so per day to read 15-20 pages.  That should allow ample time for him to finish this without being too overwhelmed.  Hell, some days (depending on the book) he may really get into it and read 40-50 pages.  This is a good age for him to start working on allotting time to work on assignments rather than free time.  

Just because he hasn't been in AP classes the past two years, doesn't at all mean he is behind on any curriculum.  Each school year is different.  The AP classes just move at a bit faster pace which he'll need to adjust to.
Where the hell have you been?????

Not to be harsh, but if he can't read a 300 page book in 3 weeks in 7th grade, he may not do well in an advanced class.
Which is part of my concern.  If this is too overwhelming for him, I don't want to be setting him up for failure in this class.  At the same time, I don't want to take the easy way out.

Which is part of my concern.  If this is too overwhelming for him, I don't want to be setting him up for failure in this class.  At the same time, I don't want to take the easy way out.
If he really struggles, then you move him back to regular CP classes next year. No big deal.

I bet he rises to the occasion. 

And if he likes to read and isn't a slow reader, 300 pages should be a piece of cake. Some of the responsive stuff might take some more time, but at his age it's really more about teaching the kids to read critically and really think about what they are reading. The teacher is probably looking to have them practice writing and setup class discussions about the book to start the year off.

I know when I was that age, I easily put away 300 pages in a day or two. Of course, I was, and am, a huge nerd. Our local library had some contest where you got to put in your name into some huge hug for every book your read during the summer. I would take out the max 5 books at a time and be back in 2-3 days. I think about 2/3 of the jug was my name the one summer. They put some kind of cap on entries the next year. :lmao: :nerd:

Let's not confuse capability with willingness/drive to do it. 

It's one thing to be able to knock out 300 pages in a couple of weeks.  It's another to want to take time out of your summer to do it.  That doesn't mean he should get a pass on it, of course.  But it's two completely different things.

thorn needs to not shut up and post more
So I'm trying to date a 28 year old, but it may be beyond my abilities.  We text more frequently than any gf I've ever had, but we've only hung out twice, and it has been very Nathan Jessup so far, if you know what I mean (actually even if you don't know what I mean - what a dumb expression).  Also we don't plan dates, much as I try.  When the stars align and one of our "what are you up to" texts is answered with "I'm at X, you should come," then we meet up.  It's all very odd.  

Also also, she shares my mother's first name, which seems fine now, but I wonder if I may have trouble at the moment of truth.

So I'm trying to date a 28 year old, but it may be beyond my abilities.  We text more frequently than any gf I've ever had, but we've only hung out twice, and it has been very Nathan Jessup so far, if you know what I mean (actually even if you don't know what I mean - what a dumb expression).  Also we don't plan dates, much as I try.  When the stars align and one of our "what are you up to" texts is answered with "I'm at X, you should come," then we meet up.  It's all very odd.  

Also also, she shares my mother's first name, which seems fine now, but I wonder if I may have trouble at the moment of truth.
Invent a pet name for her stat.  

Users who are viewing this thread