What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (7 Viewers)

Well, business broke even last 30 days. Which is ####### incredible considering 90 days ago we were short of break even by 75%. It's been a very hard and long and tiring summer. 

5 months in. Finally hitting our stride. May be able to cut a check to ourselves by Christmas time. May even be able to set up a consistent draw monthly Q1 of next year. 

Well, business broke even last 30 days. Which is ####### incredible considering 90 days ago we were short of break even by 75%. It's been a very hard and long and tiring summer. 

5 months in. Finally hitting our stride. May be able to cut a check to ourselves by Christmas time. May even be able to set up a consistent draw monthly Q1 of next year. 
This was a gentlemen's club you opened, right?

GroveDiesel said:
One of the worst parts of all of this political nonsense for me is seeing a very good friend become more and more of an extremist. Part of what makes it so difficult is that at one time, we shared almost identical beliefs and just have similar brains. So my brain can't even process the way he thinks now. 

It's really bumming me out tonight. Partly I just wish that life itself hadn't become politicized. Feels like politics has become intertwined with every aspect of life instead of being just one small aspect of life.
The best thing that ever happened to me was meeting my lifelong best friend 31 years ago who also is my polar opposite on politics. It made me realize it doesn't matter. What matters is how we act.

The best thing that ever happened to me was meeting my lifelong best friend 31 years ago who also is my polar opposite on politics. It made me realize it doesn't matter. What matters is how we act.
I would have liked this post, but apparently it is not allowed  :shrug:

do you guys talk politics or avoid?

IMO and IME, politics are like religion- both require a leap of faith to have the answers match up with the evidence. I don't mind talking about both- but given this stance, arguing seems pointless.

do you guys talk politics or avoid?
we do, on the surface level.    what's the point in having an in depth disagreement.   It would be like going into a church and arguing that god doesn't exist to a parishioner.   People have their beliefs and they're way of thinking, doesn't mean you can be friends even if you disagree. 

we do, on the surface level.    what's the point in having an in depth disagreement.   It would be like going into a church and arguing that god doesn't exist to a parishioner.   People have their beliefs and they're way of thinking, doesn't mean you can be friends even if you disagree. 
exactly how I feel.

except for the libertarians and methodists... they're scum.

guy I grew up with started dating a girl from our HS the year after he had graduated- they may have been dating while he was still at school. he was 18/19, she was 15/16. grand scheme of things- both kids, both generally in the same boat. small (minded) scheme of things, he was black and she wasn't. the parents pressed charges and he somehow got sentenced to hard time in prison for statuatory rape.

52 years to life. for a third strike that somehow involved 3k credit card debt/fraud (I'm unsure of the details). I don't know what the second strike was, but knowing this guy it wasn't anything terrible- let's call it drugs.

so far, his two strikes that have led to him serving the rest of his life in prison without getting visitation from his daughter are: having a white girlfriend that was a few years younger than him, something to do with 3k in credit card fraud.
I am not exaggerating when I say my ex wife has 20 felony convictions, 15 in California 5 in Nevada, the last one for trying to sell a large amount of drugs to a cop - 6 figure deal. She did 8 of the 15 they sentenced her for and is the happy gold digging wife of some Vegas pit boss. I don't understand the three strikes rule. 

That's great.  5 months is pretty early to break even for many industries.  What kind of business?

That's great.  5 months is pretty early to break even for many industries.  What kind of business?
Fitness studio. 

Some of the revenue is package sales - so not recurring monthly revenue. So we need to keep selling but it's just nice to see progress. Especially repeatable progress. 

ETA - operational break even. Not recapping investment obviously. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading to Calverton, MD in the morning for the day.  @Uruk-Hai is busy getting some and dealing with the end of days at work so we have not gotten together yet.  I have a week and a half left here in Winchester, VA.

I've dealt with insomnia since childhood. I've seen Drs and other pros, so if you have ideas, I've probably tried them. I've been forced to embrace it. It's infrequent enough. Most of my best ideas, best work, and education has come in the wee hours anyway. The last couple of nights have been different though. I may be experiencing mild anxiety attacks. Typically I'll stay in bed and watch or read some good non-fiction - straight - through - the - night. The last two nights I could not stay in bed. I bolted out, cleaned house, shot hoops from 3-4am, went for a swim, went through every drawer in the house organizing, took the car out for a random cruise. All of this done in a sort of wired angry manner. So it's after 11 here. I'm pretty worn from the sleeplessness. But I'm sort of frightened to even try because I can already feel it coming. 

I've dealt with insomnia since childhood. I've seen Drs and other pros, so if you have ideas, I've probably tried them. I've been forced to embrace it. It's infrequent enough. Most of my best ideas, best work, and education has come in the wee hours anyway. The last couple of nights have been different though. I may be experiencing mild anxiety attacks. Typically I'll stay in bed and watch or read some good non-fiction - straight - through - the - night. The last two nights I could not stay in bed. I bolted out, cleaned house, shot hoops from 3-4am, went for a swim, went through every drawer in the house organizing, took the car out for a random cruise. All of this done in a sort of wired angry manner. So it's after 11 here. I'm pretty worn from the sleeplessness. But I'm sort of frightened to even try because I can already feel it coming. 
s'up?  i have enough rage coursing through my veins to power a small country.  sleep is far far away.  all my worries really aren't #### in the grand scheme of life.......but....here i am.  

s'up?  i have enough rage coursing through my veins to power a small country.  sleep is far far away.  all my worries really aren't #### in the grand scheme of life.......but....here i am.  
Watched some mma. Watched a bad movie. Boxed my kitchen save two woks, a little silver ware, a knife or three, the coffee making mess. Everything else is boxed. Your rage hurricane related? At least your wife has awesome benign knockers.

Osaurus said:
Heading to Calverton, MD in the morning for the day.  @Uruk-Hai is busy getting some and dealing with the end of days at work so we have not gotten together yet.  I have a week and a half left here in Winchester, VA.
This has been a messed up week. We just had the 3rd Black Monday here in 18 months - this time, it was the company president and exec VP hacked by our corporate parent. Feels like more is coming, as the new executive team is on a tour of each district.

Anyway, on to funner stuff. You gonna be around for lunch/college ball Saturday? 

Watched some mma. Watched a bad movie. Boxed my kitchen save two woks, a little silver ware, a knife or three, the coffee making mess. Everything else is boxed. Your rage hurricane related? At least your wife has awesome benign knockers.
edited:  bunch of #### no one wants to hear.

Probably not wise to walk the desert at night, but I think I'm headed out a couple miles to look at the stars. The dog will likely find some nocturnal danger. 1:47 am. 

This has been a messed up week. We just had the 3rd Black Monday here in 18 months - this time, it was the company president and exec VP hacked by our corporate parent. Feels like more is coming, as the new executive team is on a tour of each district.

Anyway, on to funner stuff. You gonna be around for lunch/college ball Saturday? 
Should be.  Not expecting to be badged any time soon so sure as hell not working weekends.  I'm heading into Arlington on Sunday, but should be open all day Saturday.

I am in the same boat.  It's been a problem for me for a long time and the only thing that works for me is sleeping pills.  It doesn't always work, and when it does I still usually only get about 5 hours, but it's better than nothing.  I have to take more pills than the recommended amount to have any hope of falling asleep at all, but sleep is good.

I am in the same boat.  It's been a problem for me for a long time and the only thing that works for me is sleeping pills.  It doesn't always work, and when it does I still usually only get about 5 hours, but it's better than nothing.  I have to take more pills than the recommended amount to have any hope of falling asleep at all, but sleep is good.
Are they prescription or OTC? What brand?

Are they prescription or OTC? What brand?
OTC.  It's basically Advil PM, but with just the sleep aid part, not the pain killer part.  The active ingredient is called Diphenhydramine.  I use the CVS brand and they just call it Sleep Aid.  Little blue pills.  It says on the front to compare the active ingredient to "Simply Sleep", which I guess is the brand name version that CVS was copying, although I have never made the comparison.

I dealt with that for a month straight earlier this summer. Slept 2-3 hours a night. It was terrifying. 

Took some trazodone thos finally helped me sleep but it took like a week to fully recover. 

It sounds like you have been rewarding your insomnia and literally training yourself not to sleep. 

This is what it sounds like you me when i read what you said

1) Most of my best ideas, best work, and education has come in the wee hours anyway.

Your mind is now looking forward to late night so you can get these ideas, get work done, and learn things.  It's a reward for being awake. 

2) Typically I'll stay in bed and watch or read some good non-fiction - straight - through - the - night.

You've created a pattern for your body and mind to follow.  Stay awake, and i get to watch tv. Watch tv, i get endorphins.  Stay awake, i get endorphins.  Go to sleep, no endorphins. Stay awake!

3) The last two nights I could not stay in bed. I bolted out, cleaned house, shot hoops from 3-4am, went for a swim, went through every drawer in the house organizing, took the car out for a random cruise. All of this done in a sort of wired angry manner.

Your body is craving stimulation and is getting anxious because it's not receiving it. You're like an addict. 

The way I would break that cycle is to exercise as much as I can handle until my body is physically exhausted.  Put aside all entertainment.  Get the tv out of the room.  Literally out of the room.  

Force myself to stay in bed until morning. If i can't sleep, or sleep and wake up, i will hate just lying there for hours.  That's good.   I'm training my mind and body to hate it.  I'm not rewarding being awake, I'm penalizing it.  And like an addict I know I will relapse when I'm weak, so get the temptation out of the room. Break the cycle. 

Then do it again.  

When i say exercise to exhaustion, I mean I would cancel all plans, get someone else to watch the kids, and get on the treadmill and walk for 3 hours. Maybe run some, but mostly walk. Uphill at 3.5 mph or faster if I'm able.  I'm not talking about a good workout, just a long one.  I don't care if my muscles are sore or my heart rate was high, I care about burning off my glycogen stores. Walk around the mall.  Walk up and down stairs.  As much constant steady movement as i can handle safely. 

But that's just me. 

I get that you've heard this before but you've been breaking the rules.

disclaimer

i am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Talk to a doctor.

It sounds like you have been rewarding your insomnia and literally training yourself not to sleep. 

This is what it sounds like you me when i read what you said

1) Most of my best ideas, best work, and education has come in the wee hours anyway.

Your mind is now looking forward to late night so you can get these ideas, get work done, and learn things.  It's a reward for being awake. 

2) Typically I'll stay in bed and watch or read some good non-fiction - straight - through - the - night.

You've created a pattern for your body and mind to follow.  Stay awake, and i get to watch tv. Watch tv, i get endorphins.  Stay awake, i get endorphins.  Go to sleep, no endorphins. Stay awake!

3) The last two nights I could not stay in bed. I bolted out, cleaned house, shot hoops from 3-4am, went for a swim, went through every drawer in the house organizing, took the car out for a random cruise. All of this done in a sort of wired angry manner.

Your body is craving stimulation and is getting anxious because it's not receiving it. You're like an addict. 

The way I would break that cycle is to exercise as much as I can handle until my body is physically exhausted.  Put aside all entertainment.  Get the tv out of the room.  Literally out of the room.  

Force myself to stay in bed until morning. If i can't sleep, or sleep and wake up, i will hate just lying there for hours.  That's good.   I'm training my mind and body to hate it.  I'm not rewarding being awake, I'm penalizing it.  And like an addict I know I will relapse when I'm weak, so get the temptation out of the room. Break the cycle. 

Then do it again.  

When i say exercise to exhaustion, I mean I would cancel all plans, get someone else to watch the kids, and get on the treadmill and walk for 3 hours. Maybe run some, but mostly walk. Uphill at 3.5 mph or faster if I'm able.  I'm not talking about a good workout, just a long one.  I don't care if my muscles are sore or my heart rate was high, I care about burning off my glycogen stores. Walk around the mall.  Walk up and down stairs.  As much constant steady movement as i can handle safely. 

But that's just me. 

I get that you've heard this before but you've been breaking the rules.

disclaimer

i am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Talk to a doctor.
good stuff, as always.

I'd offer to get that exercise in as early as possible in the day- morning is best, but pre-dinner. 

obviously anecdotal here, but the only time I've had insomnia was when I was a teenager. I went through a period where I was running after dinner, not much before my targeted bedtime (IIRC, 11). I think the endorphins from the exercise were still pumping, along with all the teen angst/hormones/etc... and I wasn't able to sleep. I eventually moved the runs earlier and have slept like a baby ever since. 

but I feel for you guys- in my early architecting days, I had a job for a couple years where I was routinely working well past midnight 7 days a week and only getting a few hours sleep a night- sometimes up for 3 days straight (very similar to my three years of grad school). I learned to function just fine, but I was keenly aware that when I wasn't at my desk, I was walking around in a complete haze. so I can empathize with that side of things... but on the flilp side, the second I'd put my head down on a pillow I was out.

have you tried a weighted blanket?

dead serious

when i first started dating my wife she was "i can't sleep" girl

up.... all freaking night. maxing out at 2-3 interrupted hours of sleep per night. she talked to doctors, tried homeopathic solutions, cried a lot about it. her constant restlessness was making me so tired that i freaked out at her. 

pulled the tv out of her (our) room, pulled the lamp, took all the books and doodle pads out, asked her to stop drinking soda right up until bed time... stop talking to me all night.. quit calling the dog in to the room, etc.  stop with the distractions.  never thought to call them "rewards" but i guess that's pretty accurate.

it has been years now but ever since she made the bedroom a place to sleep and have sex only, she falls asleep in seconds. i'm a champeen sleeper but she's out before me every night. 

like anything, routines form habits. takes time to develop them. 

Users who are viewing this thread