Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

Just now, Osaurus said:

Most of time it releases any type of process that’s causing the issue.  It sucks, but IT.

You have hard wire internet access, but no WiFi, right?

wifi works on every device, and i haven't had any issues other than the TV dropping the signal.  and then when i attempt to reconnect, the TV can't 'see' any wifi at all.  normally, it picks up my neighbor's and i still have my old at&t wireless, but the tv can't see any wifi.  the only way to get the tv to 'see' the wifi again, is reset to factory settings.  which is a giant PIA

1 minute ago, DA RAIDERS said:

wifi works on every device, and i haven't had any issues other than the TV dropping the signal.  and then when i attempt to reconnect, the TV can't 'see' any wifi at all.  normally, it picks up my neighbor's and i still have my old at&t wireless, but the tv can't see any wifi.  the only way to get the tv to 'see' the wifi again, is reset to factory settings.  which is a giant PIA

Bummer, but sounds like this is what you have to do.

30 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

from the internet company, cox

have you contacted them?  i had the same thing going on, but i had purchased my own router (TP LInk).  So i called them and they had me change some settings on the router that eventually worked.   Call Cox.. I'm guessing they've had this issue before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas The Skank Engine said:

have you contacted them?  i had the same thing going on, but i had purchased my own router (TP LInk).  So i called them and they had me change some settings on the router that eventually worked.   Call Cox.. I'm guessing they've had this issue before.

i have called them, no changes on the router, but they offered to replace the modem.  do you know what settings they had you change.  i've called LG and made a few tweaks that they suggested.  i also called a local tv repair shop, they seemed to think it was a cox problem and not an issue with my tv.

24 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Bummer, but sounds like this is what you have to do.

i've done it at least 3 times.  i currently have the tv hooked back up to my crappy internet to see if it happens again(it had never happened in 2 years before making the internet switch)

1 minute ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i have called them, no changes on the router, but they offered to replace the modem.  do you know what settings they had you change.  i've called LG and made a few tweaks that they suggested.  i also called a local tv repair shop, they seemed to think it was a cox problem and not an issue with my tv.

on my router under advanced wireless settings:

set bandwidth to "20 mhz" instead of "auto"

set channel to 1, 6, or 11

[major]If he didn't spend at least $500, he might as well light it all on fire.  No chick in her right mind is playing hide the corsage with a guy whose tux game isn't drum tight.[/major]

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Stupid effing site. and wine

1 hour ago, Thomas The Skank Engine said:

on my router under advanced wireless settings:

set bandwidth to "20 mhz" instead of "auto"

set channel to 1, 6, or 11

it was already set to 20mhz channel is set to auto.  what does setting a specific channel do?

and thx

9 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

F it.  I'm doing this thing.  Will update when I can go get it from Kentucky with "Kentucky road trip" stories.

Derby!!!

join me, @Guster @Notorious T.R.E. @Thorn @Disco Stu @Aaron Rudnicki  Among others. 

This invite is actually open to anyone.

except one of you.  

Edited by shuke
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, facook said:

@General Malaise  What is the name of the PDX radio show you talked about somewhere where the dude had his kid do the college reveal on air?  I need a more local sports podcast, if your please.  TIA

Kfxx the fan 1080. It's the afternoon show called primetime with Isaac and Suke. I literally laugh out loud virtually every day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Is your wifi password protected? I had to set mine up and log in to the wifi with said password

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

it was already set to 20mhz channel is set to auto.  what does setting a specific channel do?

and thx

On that type of WiFi, the signals are slow, but powerful. You will pick up signal from further away and through more walls, ceilings, etc., but your connection is not as fast. The drawback is that there are only 3 channels that don’t overlap or bleed over to part of another (1,6,and 11). This can cause all kinds of stupid issues with interference, etc. There is also a ####-ton of that kind of WiFi still out there, so you could get interference from neighbors too.

The 5 gHZ WiFi does not have those channel issues, and is way faster. It’s signal isnt quite as robust though, so you generally need to be closer to the router than with the old stuff.

lots of old tablets, TVs , smart devices, etc. still only connect to the old standard, but if you can eliminate it from your house and only turn on the 5.0 gHZ radios on your router things would be better.

50 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

On that type of WiFi, the signals are slow, but powerful. You will pick up signal from further away and through more walls, ceilings, etc., but your connection is not as fast. The drawback is that there are only 3 channels that don’t overlap or bleed over to part of another (1,6,and 11). This can cause all kinds of stupid issues with interference, etc. There is also a ####-ton of that kind of WiFi still out there, so you could get interference from neighbors too.

The 5 gHZ WiFi does not have those channel issues, and is way faster. It’s signal isnt quite as robust though, so you generally need to be closer to the router than with the old stuff.

lots of old tablets, TVs , smart devices, etc. still only connect to the old standard, but if you can eliminate it from your house and only turn on the 5.0 gHZ radios on your router things would be better.

i'm trying to make sense of this..

1,6 and 11 are the only dedicated channels that have no interference?  or they are full of interference?

i have  2.4 and  5 gHZ lines in the house.  i tried the tv only on the 5gHZ line and it was no better.  should i/can i put the 5gHZ line on channels 1, 6 or 11?  or should i put both lines on one of those channels?

is the last bit saying to eliminate old devices from the house?

thx a lot!

15 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i'm trying to make sense of this..

1,6 and 11 are the only dedicated channels that have no interference?  or they are full of interference?

i have  2.4 and  5 gHZ lines in the house.  i tried the tv only on the 5gHZ line and it was no better.  should i/can i put the 5gHZ line on channels 1, 6 or 11?  or should i put both lines on one of those channels?

is the last bit saying to eliminate old devices from the house?

thx a lot!

1,6,and 11 are the only channel bands that are completely isolated from each other in that spectrum. If you set your router to channel 3,for example, you would get interference from anything nearby running on 1 or 6 and not get the full benefit of the signal or best performance. So, if your house is close to a neighbor, you would want to see what their WiFi is running if possible, and choose one of the other channels.

if your TV is 5ghz capable you would want to use that connection if possible. when working properly, you will get more bandwidth going through to your tv, so streaming should be better.

5gHZ channels are in a different radio frequency entirely, so you shouldn’t have to worry about channels there at all.

Yeah, if everything in your house can run at 5, I would shut off the 20mHZ. On  some routers, it used to be a problem that if even one device connected at 20, it slowed the overall speed of everything down to match that device. Probably more of. A big deal in large network situations though, no as much as at home.

Since your TV can connect at 5. I suppose the next thing to try would be to upgrade firmware on your router. Something just isn’t playing nice with your TV. Next would be a new or different brand router, followed by a different TV (here’s your excuse to upgrade).

Edited by Rustoleum
iPad autocorrect is wrecking my sentence structure and punctuation.

You guys should know that when I needed help moving my car in the stupid snow today, not only did @Notorious T.R.E. show up when I asked, he came with vodka and wine, knowing we had been snowed in for three days (mostly out of laziness and plow company incompetence, but snowed in nonetheless).  The man is a saint.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Chemical X said:

funny, been watching these food delivery commercials and it's been for panera.  i was thinking, who can't make a turkey for themselves at home?  had to cost 15- for that sammich too.

So about .5% the cost of a weekly NYC hairdo?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Just buy a new tv

8 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

You guys should know that when I needed help moving my car in the stupid snow today, not only did @Notorious T.R.E. show up when I asked, he came with vodka and wine, knowing we had been snowed in for three days (mostly out of laziness and plow company incompetence, but snowed in nonetheless).  The man is a saint.

this post works in april, june, October, December, February.......

14 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

he raccoon, according to Wayne Township Fire Dept. PIO Capt. Michael Pruitt, had been exposed to "too much" of someone else’s marijuana, and its owners were worried it was overdosing.

Suuuure...

Ofc. 1: “I’m sitting at one of the firehouses. No pet raccoons are overdosing here.”

Ofc. 2: “Well if they show up, you Narcan him.”

Ofc. 1: “Way too weird. I’m leaving.

Ofc. 2: “10-4”

:lmao:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heckmanm said:

I liked how they weren't sure if it was weed, meth or heroin at various points.

Yeah.  I assumed all of them.  You can never be too careful with pet raccoons these days.

Edited by Osaurus

24 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Ofc. 1: “I’m sitting at one of the firehouses. No pet raccoons are overdosing here.”

Ofc. 2: “Well if they show up, you Narcan him.”

Ofc. 1: “Way too weird. I’m leaving.

Ofc. 2: “10-4”

killed me :lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tommyboy said:

Kfxx the fan 1080. It's the afternoon show called primetime with Isaac and Suke. I literally laugh out loud virtually every day. 

Yeah, these guys are great.  I listen to their podcast on my commute to work and sometimes, take the long way on my walk  commute so I can finish a segment.  Start with the Club Hour and work back from there.  You'll love 'em.

• Like 1

kb‏ @kbnoswag 1 Dec 2017

Yeah sex is cool but have you ever tried losing your virginity to your high school crush in the back of your Honda Accord after the homecoming dance but then she backed out at the last second and made you awkwardly drive her home in complete silence. What did I do wrong, Megan?

• Like 1