Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 87.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Officer Pete Malloy

    5008

  • General Malaise

    4491

  • El Floppo

    4251

  • kevzilla

    3115

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Everybody take a minute tonight (or today) to raise a glass to HeckDad.  My sister just called to tell me that he passed away at home.  Don't have details other than he fell, but he was 94 with a bad

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Wife broke her ring finger today and didn’t take her wedding ring off.  Had to be cut off.  Do I just take this to a jeweler and say “Fox this”? Recommendations?

Make up #### about a ring? You don't need a jeweler for that.

 

 

 

 

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

It’s a really complex ring.  We designed it together, it’s custom made and the band is filigreed, etc.  She’s having a total meltdown. 

I warned you about driving a BMW.

I would think it can be fixed, but you might have to find the right jeweler.  If not, maybe you can make a new one?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I warned you about driving a BMW.

I would think it can be fixed, but you might have to find the right jeweler.  If not, maybe you can make a new one?

I don’t even have the BMW yet. There will definitely be epic “driving back from Cadiz, KY” posts about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

I don’t even have the BMW yet. There will definitely be epic “driving back from Cadiz, KY” posts about that. 

Looking forward to that post.

How long have you been married?  With a broken ring finger she probably won't be able to wear a ring for a while.  If it can't be fixed, maybe you can make it an anniversary event/present to redesign a new ring together.  Turn a negative into a positive kind of thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RC94 said:

Looking forward to that post.

How long have you been married?  With a broken ring finger she probably won't be able to wear a ring for a while.  If it can't be fixed, maybe you can make it an anniversary event/present to redesign a new ring together.  Turn a negative into a positive kind of thing.

Longer than many posters have been alive. Married my high school sweetheart.  

There’s a big anniversary next year.  If it can’t be fixed I’ll get it replicated, I guess. Good call. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

I'll be in Vegas in three weeks. But because the NFL schedule was released this evening, I now know when my next trip will happen.

Yep...I have issues.

Week 2?  That's when I want to go but my dbag "friends" don't want to go that early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, facook said:

Week 2?  That's when I want to go but my dbag "friends" don't want to go that early.

Week 9. November is the only month I haven't been to Vegas, and I try to pick weeks when the Packers are playing in prime time, because those are the games I won't be watching with my old man anyway.

:oldunsure:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Wife broke her ring finger today and didn’t take her wedding ring off.  Had to be cut off.  Do I just take this to a jeweler and say “Fix this”? Recommendations?

You’re probably screwed

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

It’s a really complex ring.  We designed it together, it’s custom made and the band is filigreed, etc.  She’s having a total meltdown. 

In Chicago I could help you out, know a guy who does great work on Jeweler's row (lots of jewelers, a lot of independent and custom work type places). Only works on referrals. Is there a place like that by you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

In Chicago I could help you out, know a guy who does great work on Jeweler's row (lots of jewelers, a lot of independent and custom work type places). Only works on referrals. Is there a place like that by you?

No idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if i say to someone "don't do anything until you hear from me... doing anything could cause problems" i'm assuming that you're intelligent enough to follow along and not do anything until i call you back.

not hearing from me for one day is not code for "do the opposite of what i said.... three times.... because it would be fun to see what happens".

now you're ####ed and it's going to take a whole lot more work for you to unwind what you did. and i'm not helping. 

get bent

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

if i say to someone "don't do anything until you hear from me... doing anything could cause problems" i'm assuming that you're intelligent enough to follow along and not do anything until i call you back.

not hearing from me for one day is not code for "do the opposite of what i said.... three times.... because it would be fun to see what happens".

now you're ####ed and it's going to take a whole lot more work for you to unwind what you did. and i'm not helping. 

get bent

Happy 4/20?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Wife broke her ring finger today and didn’t take her wedding ring off.  Had to be cut off.  Do I just take this to a jeweler and say “Fix this”? Recommendations?

Get a new wife 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

if i say to someone "don't do anything until you hear from me... doing anything could cause problems" i'm assuming that you're intelligent enough to follow along and not do anything until i call you back.

not hearing from me for one day is not code for "do the opposite of what i said.... three times.... because it would be fun to see what happens".

now you're ####ed and it's going to take a whole lot more work for you to unwind what you did. and i'm not helping. 

get bent

No, in my job, I've come to expect them to do EXACTLY what I told them not to do. That's why I now follow it up in writing because I know they'll mess everything up and then try to deny that I told them or pretend they didn't understand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s 9 am, we haven’t taken off yet, and the guy next to me is on his second beer.* This should go well.

*Edit:  that I know of.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Wife broke her ring finger today and didn’t take her wedding ring off.  Had to be cut off.  Do I just take this to a jeweler and say “Fix this”? Recommendations?

Coworker's wife was stung by a bee in Hawaii on her ring finger.  She's allergic.  Her ring finger was so swollen she could not get it off and it was so painful, her husband cut it off at the Doc in a Box.  Here's a pic.  Good news - they went to a jeweler who fixed it for $100.  Good as new, they say. 

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 16YO stepson who for the most part is a great kid.  But we've struggled for years over schoolwork, mainly in that he will sometimes decide that there's no point in him taking a certain class, or doing a certain type of assignment (usually involving writing, or "make up a story" or "relate X to a childhood memory"), so he just basically ignores the assignment.  This naturally causes strife with his teachers and hurts his grades. Other classes (usually math/science/engineering type stuff).  Also very isolated socially - very few friends, spends most of the time on video games or youtube.

My wife recently had him start seeing a psychiatrist, who diagnosed him with depression, started him on meds.  That seemed to open him up a bit, but didn't help with the schoolwork, so she set him up with a cognitive behavioral therapist.

Diagnosis: Asperger's, which in hindsight makes SO MUCH sense.  We're kicking ourselves for not finding this out 5 years ago.  (As my wife said last night, "glad to know he's not just an a$$hole" - which was the exact thought that went through my head about 10 minutes earlier.)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

I have a 16YO stepson who for the most part is a great kid.  But we've struggled for years over schoolwork, mainly in that he will sometimes decide that there's no point in him taking a certain class, or doing a certain type of assignment (usually involving writing, or "make up a story" or "relate X to a childhood memory"), so he just basically ignores the assignment.  This naturally causes strife with his teachers and hurts his grades. Other classes (usually math/science/engineering type stuff).  Also very isolated socially - very few friends, spends most of the time on video games or youtube.

My wife recently had him start seeing a psychiatrist, who diagnosed him with depression, started him on meds.  That seemed to open him up a bit, but didn't help with the schoolwork, so she set him up with a cognitive behavioral therapist.

Diagnosis: Asperger's, which in hindsight makes SO MUCH sense.  We're kicking ourselves for not finding this out 5 years ago.  (As my wife said last night, "glad to know he's not just an a$$hole" - which was the exact thought that went through my head about 10 minutes earlier.)

what's he interested in outside of vids and youtube? puzzles? woodworking? horse riding?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Wife broke her ring finger today and didn’t take her wedding ring off.  Had to be cut off.  Do I just take this to a jeweler and say “Fix this”? Recommendations?

 

15 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

It’s a really complex ring.  We designed it together, it’s custom made and the band is filigreed, etc.  She’s having a total meltdown. 

@jvdesigns2002 is a jeweler. Maybe he can give you an idea.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr. furley said:

what's he interested in outside of vids and youtube? puzzles? woodworking? horse riding?

 

Likes reading. Loves our dogs, has a pet bearded dragon.  We honestly haven't pushed him to do a lot of other things, but he'll sometimes join in for a board game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Likes reading. Loves our dogs, has a pet bearded dragon.  We honestly haven't pushed him to do a lot of other things, but he'll sometimes join in for a board game.

having proxy experience with autistic (and related) kids, animal therapy goes a long way. horses, dogs, cats, lizards, whatever. can you get him involved in volunteering at the local animal shelter?

something about the calming influence of  animals seems to work wonders. might be a way to draw him out of his world a bit. and if he's doing good helping shelter pets at the same time :thumbup:

maybe look in to therapy pets?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It’s 9 am, we haven’t taken off yet, and the guy next to me is on his second beer.* This should go well.

*Edit:  that I know of.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver’.  Maybe the guy is just trying to do the right thing for the brewery employees.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

It’s a really complex ring.  We designed it together, it’s custom made and the band is filigreed, etc.  She’s having a total meltdown. 

I am a jeweler and have been in the trade for 25 years.  Hopefully this post calms down the fear/meltdown that your wife is having.  My first recommendation is to do absolutely nothing for now.  Her finger is swollen--and even when it heals--the presense of scar tissue could effect her finger size on a long term basis.  No jeweler can proactively "guess" what her finger size will be once it heals from an injury.  For now--the best thing to do is to do nothing--and get a very inexpensive temporary ring that she can wear while she heals. Once her finger seems healed--you'll want to go into a jeweler to have to see what size her finger is and write that down somewhere. You'll want to repeat this same process a week or two later to see if you get the same measurement.  If you do get the same measurement--then it should be safe to have a jeweler/goldsmith repair the ring at that time.  If you get a different finger size--you'll want to repeat this same process of getting her finger sized by a jeweler on a weekly basis until you get consistent results.  The last thing you want to do is to pay to repair the ring now--and then pay again to possibly have it sized if her finger size changes due to the injury. 

  In regards to repairing an intricate ring that has design all of the way around--it really just depends on the skill level of the goldsmith that the jeweler has working on the ring.  My best advice is to go to an independent jeweler that has been around for a while.  In this era of social media--it would be pretty hard for an independent jeweler to survive long term if they did low quality work.  I could probably give you a more accurate assessment of the difficulty level of the "job" would be if you wanted to post or pm me pics.   Regardless--I can tell you that good jewelers can generally figure out ways to solve even the hardest jewelry problems--so there is no need for your wife to worry.  Tell her to focus on getting her finger right--and the ring shouldn't be an issue.  I'd even be happy to repair the ring for you when the time comes should you not feel comfortable about any of the jewelers in your area.    Hope that helps.  

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

I have a 16YO stepson who for the most part is a great kid.  But we've struggled for years over schoolwork, mainly in that he will sometimes decide that there's no point in him taking a certain class, or doing a certain type of assignment (usually involving writing, or "make up a story" or "relate X to a childhood memory"), so he just basically ignores the assignment.  This naturally causes strife with his teachers and hurts his grades. Other classes (usually math/science/engineering type stuff).  Also very isolated socially - very few friends, spends most of the time on video games or youtube.

My wife recently had him start seeing a psychiatrist, who diagnosed him with depression, started him on meds.  That seemed to open him up a bit, but didn't help with the schoolwork, so she set him up with a cognitive behavioral therapist.

Diagnosis: Asperger's, which in hindsight makes SO MUCH sense.  We're kicking ourselves for not finding this out 5 years ago.  (As my wife said last night, "glad to know he's not just an a$$hole" - which was the exact thought that went through my head about 10 minutes earlier.)

my son did pretty much the same thing....  He's 29 now and we found out when he was 13. Not a lot of great info back then.   He's doing great now as a programmer. $50k and bought his own house.  Check out College Learning Experience assistance program for after high school.  Best $$ I ever spent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

 

Diagnosis: Asperger's, which in hindsight makes SO MUCH sense.  We're kicking ourselves for not finding this out 5 years ago.  (As my wife said last night, "glad to know he's not just an a$$hole" - which was the exact thought that went through my head about 10 minutes earlier.)

Note to self: Get tested for Asperger's

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I am a jeweler and have been in the trade for 25 years.  Hopefully this post calms down the fear/meltdown that your wife is having.  My first recommendation is to do absolutely nothing for now.  Her finger is swollen--and even when it heals--the presense of scar tissue could effect her finger size on a long term basis.  No jeweler can proactively "guess" what her finger size will be once it heals from an injury.  For now--the best thing to do is to do nothing--and get a very inexpensive temporary ring that she can wear while she heals. Once her finger seems healed--you'll want to go into a jeweler to have to see what size her finger is and write that down somewhere. You'll want to repeat this same process a week or two later to see if you get the same measurement.  If you do get the same measurement--then it should be safe to have a jeweler/goldsmith repair the ring at that time.  If you get a different finger size--you'll want to repeat this same process of getting her finger sized by a jeweler on a weekly basis until you get consistent results.  The last thing you want to do is to pay to repair the ring now--and then pay again to possibly have it sized if her finger size changes due to the injury. 

  In regards to repairing an intricate ring that has design all of the way around--it really just depends on the skill level of the goldsmith that the jeweler has working on the ring.  My best advice is to go to an independent jeweler that has been around for a while.  In this era of social media--it would be pretty hard for an independent jeweler to survive long term if they did low quality work.  I could probably give you a more accurate assessment of the difficulty level of the "job" would be if you wanted to post or pm me pics.   Regardless--I can tell you that good jewelers can generally figure out ways to solve even the hardest jewelry problems--so there is no need for your wife to worry.  Tell her to focus on getting her finger right--and the ring shouldn't be an issue.  I'd even be happy to repair the ring for you when the time comes should you not feel comfortable about any of the jewelers in your area.    Hope that helps.  

Thanks, man.  Much appreciated. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

I have a 16YO stepson who for the most part is a great kid.  But we've struggled for years over schoolwork, mainly in that he will sometimes decide that there's no point in him taking a certain class, or doing a certain type of assignment (usually involving writing, or "make up a story" or "relate X to a childhood memory"), so he just basically ignores the assignment.  This naturally causes strife with his teachers and hurts his grades. Other classes (usually math/science/engineering type stuff).  Also very isolated socially - very few friends, spends most of the time on video games or youtube.

My wife recently had him start seeing a psychiatrist, who diagnosed him with depression, started him on meds.  That seemed to open him up a bit, but didn't help with the schoolwork, so she set him up with a cognitive behavioral therapist.

Diagnosis: Asperger's, which in hindsight makes SO MUCH sense.  We're kicking ourselves for not finding this out 5 years ago.  (As my wife said last night, "glad to know he's not just an a$$hole" - which was the exact thought that went through my head about 10 minutes earlier.)

what's wrong with being an a$$hole?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized I don’t know where this flight is going. :lmao: I looked at connections through MSP, DTW, and ATL yesterday and don’t know which I booked. Went to gate S6 as instructed by the check-in lady (who only mentioned my final destination) and just got on, tuning out any of the announcements as usual. 

Now I’ve decided not to look it up and let it be a surprise.

 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...