Top Posters In This Topic

• Officer Pete Malloy

• General Malaise

• El Floppo

• kevzilla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Thanks for all the thropwas everybody.  I'm doing alright, hanging out with family and friends, tipping back cold ones, grilling and enjoying 80 degree weather.  Despite being a little sad, I'm reliev

Posted Images

I’m going to be a bummer for a second.

We came out for a wine tasting weekend with friends for “Spring Release weekend” in Walla Walla.  We had an amazing first day of tastings and then reverted to our way-neat house for a Mr Krista-prepared dinner out by the pool.

We were only a few bites in when my dearest friend Becka looked like she was going to throw up.  We did a lot of “are you ok?” before she moved inside.  A few seconds later her husband Ken started yelling “Help, help!”

There is so much to say here, but I’ll just say it was and is the most terrifying experience of my life.  As it turned out, she had choked but due to our wine intake she didn’t give usual signs.  By the time we knew what happened she was blue, and because Heimlich didn’t work we were told by 911 to do CPR, which we did for a while but she got worse and worse.  Luckily one of our friends has medical training, and also luckily the EMTs got here quickly.  But she was dead for a few minutes before they revived her, and I don’t know where it will go from here.  Right now we’re waiting for her to be moved to ICU.

There’s no lesson I’m imparting here - except, I guess, keep your CPR training up to date - but just losing my mind a bit.

Edited by krista4
59 minutes ago, krista4 said:

We came out for a wine tasting weekend with friends for “Spring Release weekend” in Walla Walla.  We had an amazing first day of tastings and then reverted to our way-neat house for a Mr Krista-prepared dinner out by the pool.

We were only a few bites in when my dearest friend Becka looked like she was going to throw up.  We did a lot of “are you ok?” before she moved inside.  A few seconds later her husband Ken started yelling “Help, help!”

There is so much to say here, but I’ll just say it was and is the most terrifying experience of my life.  As it turned out, she had choked but due to our wine intake she didn’t give usual signs.  By the time we knew what happened she was blue, and because Heimlich didn’t work we were told by 911 to do CPR, which we did for a while but she got worse and worse.  Luckily one of our friends has medical training, and also luckily the EMTs got here quickly.  But she was dead for a few minutes before they revived her, and I don’t know where it will go from here.  Right now we’re waiting for her to be moved to ICU.

There’s no lesson I’m imparting here - except, I guess, keep your CPR training up to date - but just losing my mind a bit.

Jeez, good luck to her.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

omg.  

• Like 2

Just came back to the house from the hospital. Becka is stable (whatever that means)...in the morning they’ll try to see if she can breathe on her own, which will be a big deal.  She had a CT scan but we don’t have results.  They said with this kind of thing there can also be lung and kidney damage.

Just waiting.  I offered to stay with Ken for the night but it seemed like he needed some rest.  I just kissed and massaged Becka a lot and hope it will help.  She’s a very strong person.

I’ll go back over in a few hours.  Shellshocked now.  One second we’re having the time of our lives and then...  I’d posted a pic of her on FB right before, as she was swimming around loving life.

Edited by krista4

How awful. I can't imagine the shock, fear and emotional tumult you are going through. Take care of yourself and keep your strength in this sad, trying time.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Very sorry to hear this.  She has my best wishes, as do you and her family.  I can't imagine how scary it is.

• Like 2

Thanks, folks.  We’re back at the hospital.  She’s getting another CT scan right now.  Started running a high fever and might be developing pneumonia, but other signs are good so far.  They brought her partway out earlier and she was being responsive.  Back on full sedation now.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, krista4 said:

Thanks, folks.  We’re back at the hospital.  She’s getting another CT scan right now.  Started running a high fever and might be developing pneumonia, but other signs are good so far.  They brought her partway out earlier and she was being responsive.  Back on full sedation now.

I'm hoping the next update says that she is stable and will make a full recovery.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, krista4 said:

jeez :mellow: thops, big time  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, krista4 said:

JFC. I've had the Heimlich performed on me once due to not adequately chewing and it's scary stuff. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RC94 said:

I'm hoping the next update says that she is stable and will make a full recovery.

Things are going better than I think any of us could have hoped.  She's awake and mostly alert now, breathing on her own, and they were able to extubate her a few hours ago.  Her temp and heart rate are both down, not quite to normal but much better.  I was even able to feed her some ice chips an hour or so ago!  

They are fully expecting her to have pneumonia, and there are some unidentified secondary issues that are causing her to bloat.  Her lungs are still a mess and she's coughing a lot.  One thing I didn't get much explanation on but I assume is the effects of sedation is that her short-term memory seems non-existent.  She will keep asking the same thing over and over, such as asking what happened or what day it is.  We tell her and then a few minutes later she asks again and doesn't seem to recollect even asking before.

Those are the bad parts, but as I said that news has been shockingly good over the past several hours.  We all thought we had lost her last night.  I'm not sure how long her heart had stopped, but she went a long time without breathing.  I never want to see the colors blue or purple again.

Her parents and sister arrived so I've left the hospital for the night to allow family time.

• Like 17
52 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Things are going better than I think any of us could have hoped.  She's awake and mostly alert now, breathing on her own, and they were able to extubate her a few hours ago.  Her temp and heart rate are both down, not quite to normal but much better.  I was even able to feed her some ice chips an hour or so ago!  

They are fully expecting her to have pneumonia, and there are some unidentified secondary issues that are causing her to bloat.  Her lungs are still a mess and she's coughing a lot.  One thing I didn't get much explanation on but I assume is the effects of sedation is that her short-term memory seems non-existent.  She will keep asking the same thing over and over, such as asking what happened or what day it is.  We tell her and then a few minutes later she asks again and doesn't seem to recollect even asking before.

Those are the bad parts, but as I said that news has been shockingly good over the past several hours.  We all thought we had lost her last night.  I'm not sure how long her heart had stopped, but she went a long time without breathing.  I never want to see the colors blue or purple again.

Her parents and sister arrived so I've left the hospital for the night to allow family time.

Glad to hear this, even though there is still work ahead for her.  This is about as good of an update as anyone can realistically hope for considering what happened.  I was thinking about you and her all day today.  Hopefully there will be continually improving updates going forward.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

great to hear!!  

a good friend of mine had a terrible crash, while skiing, right in front me.  he hit his head badly. over the next few hours, his cognitive abilities deteriorated rapidly.  on the 3 hour drive home, he asked the same 4 questions in a seemingly endless loop.  about every 2-3 minutes he would start again with no memory of just having asked the same questions.  it freaked the #### out me.  i patiently answered him every time.  it took a few months, but he ended up being just fine in the long run.

• Like 1

I'm glad people come to me for advice, and happy to help.  I'm sad that one of the topics, due to my knowledge and first hand experience, is advice about concussions...

54 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I'm glad people come to me for advice, and happy to help.  I'm sad that one of the topics, due to my knowledge and first hand experience, is advice about concussions...

Yeah, I think you've told us that like eight times now

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Jury duty is super (again)

Do you attempt to get out of it or do you just go?

One of the things we always ask our clients about weighing a potential settlement versus going to trial is, "Do you want your fate decided by twelve people who weren't able to figure out how to get out of jury duty?"

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, -fish- said:

One of the things we always ask our clients about weighing a potential settlement versus going to trial is, "Do you want your fate decided by twelve people who weren't able to figure out how to get out of jury duty?"

I went. Have a trip leaving Friday morning so that helped.  I think the more vanilla you are, the less likely you are to be picked.  At least it’s been my experience so far.

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I went. Have a trip leaving Friday morning so that helped.  I think the more vanilla you are, the less likely you are to be picked.  At least it’s been my experience so far.

you should wear a confederate flag shirt with a MAGA hat, then tell them if they are on trial they're probably guilty since the law is infallible.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tommyboy said:

you should wear a confederate flag shirt with a MAGA hat, then tell them if they are on trial they're probably guilty since the law is infallible.

:lol:  I am seriously considering this for next time.

6 hours ago, heckmanm said:

My wife’s cousin’s husband is an assistant trainer of the horse that won the Kentucky Oaks.

But I’ll try not to let it go to my head.

Is Ferris ok?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, -fish- said:

I like jury duty so I can make my quadannual (every 4 year?) visit to Chinatown. :shrug: