Top Posters In This Topic

• Officer Pete Malloy

• General Malaise

• El Floppo

• kevzilla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Everybody take a minute tonight (or today) to raise a glass to HeckDad.  My sister just called to tell me that he passed away at home.  Don't have details other than he fell, but he was 94 with a bad

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Heavens to mergatroid!

Sounds like carrying bear spray (if you aren't down with firearms) may be a good idea if you're hiking in those parts.

From the story, it seems like they triggered the big cat's prey chase instinct with their bike riding. Sucks that they initially scared it off but it attacked again. 

I'm not sure that they did anything wrong, but if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, unless you are 100% positive that you can get to an area of safety by fleeing, you're better off stopping and confronting it. Cougars are normally scared off by people, but if you turn your back and flee, it will only see you as prey. If you act as predator and don't turn your back, that's your best bet. Even once you scare it off, walking out warily without turning your back is the best move, otherwise it may continue stalking you looking for an opportunity when you are turned away.

At least, that's what I gleaned from the internets. 

Yeah, that's about right.  Make yourself large, make yourself loud, keep direct eye contact, throw things and fight back if it charges.  Basically the opposite of what you do in a black bear encounter.  It does seem these folks did everything right at first - one of them even booped it in the head with their bike.  Unfortunately after it ran away it came back, which is highly unusual, and they weren't ready for that.  

Bear spray or a firearm could help sometimes, but in most cougar attacks they just pounce before you know they are there, so it wouldn't do much.  Might have helped in this case, though.

3 hours ago, krista4 said:

I learned in a political thread yesterday that we’re no longer allowed to use this word here.  Not kidding.

safer for the children that way

• Like 1
On 5/20/2018 at 0:13 PM, Epic Problem said:

My son graduates high school today. I’m oddly indifferent to the entire thing. Like sociopathicly indifferent.

Dont get me wrong, I love my son dearly, but I see this as meeting expectation, not really accomplishing something. I get the rite of passage aspect of it, but he’s been in private school his entire life where the graduation rate never falls below 99.5%. What has he really done outside of not being the one idiot out of 200 to screw this up?

Maybe what it comes down to is that even I graduated high school which I think creates a ‘So easy, Epic can do it’ mindset in me. 

Talk to me about his future, going off to college, doing things I didn’t do... I’m not indifferent to that. That excites me.

Graduating High School just has me meh. 

You turned a sperm into a living adult without letting him destroy his life before he couldn't blame it on you anymore.  Celebrate.

3 hours ago, krista4 said:

I learned in a political thread yesterday that we’re no longer allowed to use this word here.  Not kidding.

And I learned if you respond to that new directive by telling people to just use [Political figure we won't argue about here] supporter and everyone will know what you mean, Joe will give you a "like".

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

You turned a sperm into a living adult without letting him destroy his life before he couldn't blame it on you anymore.  Celebrate.

LOOK AT ME! 

It did end up being a good day. Got out to dinner with family afterwards. Oddly enough, his girlfriend's family picked the same spot so spent some time with them too. His favorite aunt and uncle weren't going to make it, but figured out a way to sneak a cameo into their day.

My mother gave him a rack and half for grad. My son is the only grandchild she has, so she spoils him, but I found this to be ridiculous considering that I, for the same accomplishment, was Bender'd and got a carton of smokes. That was 1988 and the carton was probably about $20. 

After we got home from dinner, I cracked a bottle of 2013 Bourbon County and we toasted to the end of his high school career while we caught up on Legion. 

• Like 4
Just now, Epic Problem said:

LOOK AT ME! 

It did end up being a good day. Got out to dinner with family afterwards. Oddly enough, his girlfriend's family picked the same spot so spent some time with them too. His favorite aunt and uncle weren't going to make it, but figured out a way to sneak a cameo into their day.

My mother gave him a rack and half for grad. My son is the only grandchild she has, so she spoils him, but I found this to be ridiculous considering that I, for the same accomplishment, was Bender'd and got a carton of smokes. That was 1988 and the carton was probably about $20. 

After we got home from dinner, I cracked a bottle of 2013 Bourbon County and we toasted to the end of his high school career while we caught up on Legion. 

Very cool.  Nice that you got to see them before the kids break up because he cheats on her at college.

• Like 3

I hate travelling for work.  A little advice for those who travel for work and didn't make your own reservations - don't let them put you in a Fairfield Inn.  What a POS hotel.

4 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I hate travelling for work.  A little advice for those who travel for work and didn't make your own reservations - don't let them put you in a Fairfield Inn.  What a POS hotel.

I guess it depends on location. I've stayed in an extremely nice Fairfield Inn around Indianapolis. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Pack said:

I guess it depends on location. I've stayed in an extremely nice Fairfield Inn around Indianapolis. 

I suppose.  The one in downtown Albany is terrible.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I've found that socks with flip-flops keep most of the cougars away from me.

Way better than whatever I was going to try to come up with...very glad I didn't exert myself 

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Bars and stuff.

Dunno. I was guessing.

There is 1 bar that's open.  I went there last night when I got into town.  This city is the closest thing I have seen to a ghost town after work hours as I have ever seen.

1 minute ago, RC94 said:

There is 1 bar that's open.  I went there last night when I got into town.  This city is the closest thing I have seen to a ghost town after work hours as I have ever seen.

Sounds spooky.

I'd assume a ton of hookers and blow, given the city's main industry.

Just now, El Floppo said:

Sounds spooky.

I'd assume a ton of hookers and blow, given the city's main industry.

It was completely deserted last night.  Looks like that now too. It is pretty spooky, actually.

2 minutes ago, RC94 said:

It was completely deserted last night.  Looks like that now too. It is pretty spooky, actually.

You just need to think like a bit-rate politician...where would they go when their work day is over after lunch? Highway underpass...7/11 parking lot...start checking the obvious spots for the debauchery.

Tip: Any phone call from your kid's school where both the principal and superintendent are on the line and start off by saying "First off, your kid is safe and ok" is not a phone call you want to receive.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Tip: Any phone call from your kid's school where both the principal and superintendent are on the line and start off by saying "First off, your kid is safe and ok" is not a phone call you want to receive.

So what happened? 

3 hours ago, RC94 said:

Anyone been to Albany, NY?  Is there anything to do here?

William Kennedy led me to believe there was plenty of booze and debauchery.

I was only there once, in 1979 to see the Talking Heads. Pretty sure I debauched.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

So what happened? 

The very short answer: we don't know exactly yet.

Longer answer: a school employee reported another school employee for inappropriate contact with my daughter. Apparently a school employee was uncomfortable when she saw him really invading my daughter's personal space. That happened about 2 weeks ago. The story isn't totally clear to me, but apparently then that same employee either saw or heard that the same aide was rubbing my daughter's thigh. Those two incidents were enough for that employee to report the aide. So the school put the aide on leave and for the police and child services involved to investigate. 

My daughter has special needs and doesn't always communicate things well. This not only makes her a target, it makes it tough to figure out exactly what happened. So far, we're inclined to believe that what the employee witnessed may have been pretty much the extent of it. I don't think that it went any further than that from what we've gathered from my daughter. But we don't know that with 100% certainty. 

So now we're trying to get all that figured out, waiting for the investigations to take place, and being slightly frustrated dealing with the school's lack of total transparency while also understanding their need to legally protect themselves.

As of now my daughter isn't really upset and doesn't seem to think there is any big deal going on, which is the way we want things to be right now. We're still trying to talk things through with her as we can and try to figure out exactly how far things went as well as make sure she knows that she has done nothing at all wrong and that nobody is to be touching her at all.

One of my greatest fears has been that she would be sexually assaulted someday. Women with disabilities are much much more likely to be sexually assaulted. We're hoping and praying that this never got past the inappropriate leg rubbing and that we can use this as a way to encourage her to protect herself and stand up for herself going forward. 

And we're certainly incredibly thankful for the other employee speaking up. Too many times people are afraid to say something and things get brushed under the rug. In this case, I'm holding onto the hope/belief that this person speaking up avoided a much more horrible outcome.

• Like 8

Longer answer: a school employee reported another school employee for inappropriate contact with my daughter. Apparently a school employee was uncomfortable when she saw him really invading my daughter's personal space. That happened about 2 weeks ago. The story isn't totally clear to me, but apparently then that same employee either saw or heard that the same aide was rubbing my daughter's thigh. Those two incidents were enough for that employee to report the aide. So the school put the aide on leave and for the police and child services involved to investigate. 

My daughter has special needs and doesn't always communicate things well. This not only makes her a target, it makes it tough to figure out exactly what happened. So far, we're inclined to believe that what the employee witnessed may have been pretty much the extent of it. I don't think that it went any further than that from what we've gathered from my daughter. But we don't know that with 100% certainty. 

So now we're trying to get all that figured out, waiting for the investigations to take place, and being slightly frustrated dealing with the school's lack of total transparency while also understanding their need to legally protect themselves.

As of now my daughter isn't really upset and doesn't seem to think there is any big deal going on, which is the way we want things to be right now. We're still trying to talk things through with her as we can and try to figure out exactly how far things went as well as make sure she knows that she has done nothing at all wrong and that nobody is to be touching her at all.

One of my greatest fears has been that she would be sexually assaulted someday. Women with disabilities are much much more likely to be sexually assaulted. We're hoping and praying that this never got past the inappropriate leg rubbing and that we can use this as a way to encourage her to protect herself and stand up for herself going forward. 

And we're certainly incredibly thankful for the other employee speaking up. Too many times people are afraid to say something and things get brushed under the rug. In this case, I'm holding onto the hope/belief that this person speaking up avoided a much more horrible outcome.

JFC, hope it turns out to be the “best” case scenario...if there is such a thing.

• Like 7

I "liked" the post as a way of thanking you for answering it and so honestly and openly.... but sheesh- can't begin to imagine what that must all feel like for you guys. Hope she's ok and that it was all nothing. . 

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Epic Problem said:

LOOK AT ME! 

Where was dinner?

2 hours ago, kevzilla said:

"Come to Mygrain, where the food and service will cause stabbing pain and sensitivity to light and sound!"

Its a brewery.... get it, mygrain?