What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

Officer Pete Malloy said:
I don’t speak Italian 
lady at my office has a grandkid learning both English and French. kid is just short of 2.

the amount of complaining and kvetching i hear her doing about this theoretical future whereby no one understands her poor, bilingual (but somehow unable to master either?) granddaughter is just..... mind boggling

when local news happen on the scene of an "event" this is exactly the type of person they want to put on camera. it's why the rest of America thinks we are the Mississippi of the North

god save the queen

Last edited by a moderator:
16 yr old daughter almost killed us both in the minivan two days ago, she didn't realize the right lane, with 3 signs and a big white arrow pointing to the right was a "right turn only" lane

and almost ran us into a telephone pole.

yesterday, she passed her drivers test.   God help me

16 yr old daughter almost killed us both in the minivan two days ago, she didn't realize the right lane, with 3 signs and a big white arrow pointing to the right was a "right turn only" lane

take away her phone

and iPad

and Apple watch

Hutch: Didn’t see the arrow, huh?

Starsky: I didn’t even see the Indians.

lady at my office has a grandkid learning both English and French. kid is just short of 2.

the amount of complaining and kvetching i hear her doing about this theoretical future whereby no one understands her poor, bilingual (but somehow unable to master either?) granddaughter is just..... mind boggling

when local news happen on the scene of an "event" this is exactly the type of person they want to put on camera. it's why the rest of America thinks we are the Mississippi of the North

god save the queen
Wisconsin?

I’ve read this twice and still don’t get it.

File this under “Exhibit A as to why your kid is the way he is”

So yearly 8th grade class trip today.  In order to be eligible to go, a kid has to have less than 5 “points” when it comes to disciplinary actions.

1 detention = 1 point, a suspension is 3 points.  Kids can can actually have a point removed if they go a month without any infractions.

I have this kid in my 1st period/homeroom.  We’ll call him Andrew because that’s his name.  He’s a pantload for every teacher. Constantly tardy, won’t do his work, out of his seat, insubordinate and churlish, and has trouble following the most basic kindergarten level rules.  If you write him up he replies with “I don’t care”.

Andrew has at least 8 points.  He, obviously, did not qualify for the trip.  Or as we say “he self-selected out”.

So just as I’m handing out the tickets at the front gate of Magic Mountain Andrew shows up.

His parents dropped him off so that he could hang out with his friends.  Since this event happens off campus we can’t do anything about it.

Unreal.  

So yearly 8th grade class trip today.  In order to be eligible to go, a kid has to have less than 5 “points” when it comes to disciplinary actions.

1 detention = 1 point, a suspension is 3 points.  Kids can can actually have a point removed if they go a month without any infractions.

I have this kid in my 1st period/homeroom.  We’ll call him Andrew because that’s his name.  He’s a pantload for every teacher. Constantly tardy, won’t do his work, out of his seat, insubordinate and churlish, and has trouble following the most basic kindergarten level rules.  If you write him up he replies with “I don’t care”.

Andrew has at least 8 points.  He, obviously, did not qualify for the trip.  Or as we say “he self-selected out”.

So just as I’m handing out the tickets at the front gate of Magic Mountain Andrew shows up.

His parents dropped him off so that he could hang out with his friends.  Since this event happens off campus we can’t do anything about it.

Unreal.  
Andrews are the worst.

Unreal.  
ownage

Unpossible. Tanner was 40 like 40 years ago. 
Related story...

Six Flags Magic Mountain had been around since like 1971.  It’s only about 1:15 minutes away.  When I was a kid/teen I probably went there 3-4 times a year.  I haven’t been in like 12 years but back in the 70s and 80s I knew the place like the back of my hand.

As we (about 6-7 teachers) were just walking into the park, we were talking about how the rides have changed over the years.  One guy, That we’ll call Harry because he has this goofy unruly mop on his head, is with us.  I actually like him but he is a 28-29 year old  hipstery goofball. 

He also fancies himself as an expert on all the rollercoasters at the park.  He says something like “I get really tired of old people that say ‘these new coasters are great but I remember when The Revolution* was new’”

I say “(B))itch I remember when The Revolution opened up. 1976. And it was amazing.  There was only one coaster here before that and then they bring in one that had a real 360 loop.  Damn kids.  I don’t feel bad now about ruining the housing market for you punks.”

Later on I really got him.

Another nerdy younger guy bought a ball cap with a Nightwing (I think that’s a more butch Robin) emblem on it.  Pretty sure only a real comix nerd would recognize the emblem.  He was showing it off to the same group of people as above.

Actual cool young teacher: What the hell is that? Wonder Woman?

Hat buyer: (shyly) No, it’s Nightwing.

Actual cool young teacher: No idea what that is.

Me: Yeah, me either.

Harry: Oh come on! You guys don’t know who Nightwing is???

Me: No. Probably because I touched a real boob before I was 16.

The 3 female teachers that were with us, aged 27-35, cracked up.

ETA forgot *https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Revolution_(roller_coaster)

Related story...

Six Flags Magic Mountain had been around since like 1971.  It’s only about 1:15 minutes away.  When I was a kid/teen I probably went there 3-4 times a year.  I haven’t been in like 12 years but back in the 70s and 80s I knew the place like the back of my hand.
I grew up about 20 minutes from Magic Mountain and used to go there all the time as a kid. I loved it. Back when rides were made of wood and steel, and if you weren’t nauseous or concussed when it was over, you thought it sucked.

I actually worked there for about a year. I was working one night over the Halloween weekend, and my job was to drive the van around the park, picking up and dropping off the different costumed entertainers. So naturally I got super stoned in the parking lot with some friends before my shift.  Then I spent all night hauling monsters, witches and vampires around the park in a windowless van, listening to Monster Mash and trying to avoid detection. Talk about surreal...

I’ve read this twice and still don’t get it.
lady at work met and married a guy some 35'ish years ago. together they spawned a daughter. that daughter married a French fella (straight from Frenchyland) and made a half-breed American/French baby.

mom & dad are teaching their precious little gift to speak both English and French. 

the less than 2 year old uses French and English interchangeably when speaking. sometimes saying things like "grandma, my chapeau!"

like Spanglish but without the slanguage. 

given that the kid is not quite 2, her words aren't always easily understandable in either language just yet.

the reason that grandma is having difficulty understanding what a not quite 2 year old is saying being that learning French is clouding the kid's ability to think clearly when speaking American.

the apparent belief being that babies/toddlers should learn ONE language and one only because their brains are not capable of more. and, since this is America, and the baby is American, she should be learning American ONLY.

grandma is TERRIFIED that because this kid is learning two languages at once (when she should only be learning American, since this is America) she won't ever be able to completely and legibly speak either. thus dooming her to a future of not being employable, thus rendering her unlovable and unable to have a family of her own!

FIN

Unreal.  
not his fault that the teachers are jerks, guy

Update:

Man, this update is almost as difficult as my previous post even though it is completely good in our favor.

It looks like the "inappropriate touching" really was completely innocent. An older janitor at the school has a child with special needs and he regularly checks in on the special needs kids at the school and is extra friendly to them because he understands how hard life can be for them. So the "invading her personal space" was just him sitting in a chair next to her when she was on the computer and putting his arm around the back of her chair. It seems that he did rub her leg, but in like a comforting grandfatherly type of way. So absolutely nothing inappropriate. And the guy is beside himself over the whole thing and may very well lose his job, either by being fired or being forced to retire. At minimum, I think he would be moved to a position with no contact with kids.

So I'm relieved that there was nothing inappropriate, but heartbroken that some guy who understood what a kid with special needs deals with and who made a special effort to be kind to my daughter has gone through this and may very well lose his job over it. And my daughter loses a guy who looked out for her and was a friendly face in an often hostile world for her.

And there's nobody to blame than the dirtbags who HAVE harmed kids. Because he did nothing truly wrong and the person who reported it did nothing wrong and the school did what they have to do as well.

So relieved, and yet still left feeling terrible in the end. The world sucks sometimes.

sad that everyone agrees nothing bad happened, the guy had no bad intent, nobody was harmed or even intended to be harmed..... and this guy is about to get canned for being a decent human being

And there's nobody to blame than the dirtbags who HAVE harmed kids. Because he did nothing truly wrong and the person who reported it did nothing wrong and the school did what they have to do as well.
Is this part true though?  Taking everything you wrote as true, it seems that the person making the decision should be blamed if they do not restore him to his prior position.

Anyway, sorry you had to go through that, happy it turned out the way it did for your family.

So I'm relieved that there was nothing inappropriate, but heartbroken that some guy who understood what a kid with special needs deals with and who made a special effort to be kind to my daughter has gone through this and may very well lose his job over it. And my daughter loses a guy who looked out for her and was a friendly face in an often hostile world for her.
GD glad your daughter was not harmed in any way

Per the quoted part... have you relayed these feelings to the administration? 

GD glad your daughter was not harmed in any way

Per the quoted part... have you relayed these feelings to the administration? 
We have a meeting with them this afternoon. We're trying to figure out exactly how we want to approach it. I think the sticking point for both us and the administration will be the small number of cases where dirtbags got caught doing something that could be explained away as innocent, were allowed to remain, and then took it further with some other kid. And then everyone freaks out because something wasn't done before it got to that point.

I have no other knowledge about this guy than what I have posted here. The administration knows him much better than we do. My inclination is to tell them that we are not pushing for him to be fired, that we would never want someone innocent fired (especially if they were simply being kind), and that they know much more about him than we do and are more capable of making a totally informed decision than we are.

Tough situation to be sure.  I thought you knew those things to be true, sounds like you are taking their word for it.  That's different.

Update:

Man, this update is almost as difficult as my previous post even though it is completely good in our favor.

It looks like the "inappropriate touching" really was completely innocent. An older janitor at the school has a child with special needs and he regularly checks in on the special needs kids at the school and is extra friendly to them because he understands how hard life can be for them. So the "invading her personal space" was just him sitting in a chair next to her when she was on the computer and putting his arm around the back of her chair. It seems that he did rub her leg, but in like a comforting grandfatherly type of way. So absolutely nothing inappropriate. And the guy is beside himself over the whole thing and may very well lose his job, either by being fired or being forced to retire. At minimum, I think he would be moved to a position with no contact with kids.

So relieved, and yet still left feeling terrible in the end. The world sucks sometimes.
Great news for you guys but...oof.

Tough situation to be sure.  I thought you knew those things to be true, sounds like you are taking their word for it.  That's different.
The police told us that they have video and closed their case. That is enough for me personally and what I know as far as my daughter. 

It's just a reality that I don't have as much information on the guy as the school does. And that likely won't change a ton as the school will inevitably seek to limit their legal exposure and not give us a ton of info on the guy good or bad. My sense from them is that they view him as a good guy that didn'tdo anything wrong. Schools have been wrong on that before, but with the info we have and what we have received from my daughter, my belief is that that is most likely the case.

Just an all around crappy situation. Could have been a WHOLE lot more crappy to be sure. Hopefully things can be worked out in a good way for everyone.

Honestly, I'm guessing that it won't happen for a sorts of reasons, but I'd like to meet the guy and just talk to get a feel for him and to let him know that we think the whole thing sucks too.

Update to the update:

After the meeting today, I believe the janitor is not being fired. The school wouldn't say anything one way or the other, but from the conversation, I do not believe they intend to fire him.
Glad for him, and so relieved for you man.  It is a sad situation these days.

My wife is a reading instructor at a local grade school and she has to be soooo sooo careful about affection.  Of course all of the kids want to hug Miss Amy, both at school and when we see them out in public.  Basically she is allowed to allow them initiate, to hug her and can give them a quick double hand pat on the back, and that's it.  Some of these kids are coming from such broken families they could really use a real hug from a sweet caring lady like Miss Amy.  Just can't go there for obvious reasons.

If you ever need a Daily Racing Form, GM is your man.  He will set you up like the big swinging **** he is.  IOW, you will get it for free.*

*Free assumes that GM has already purchased said DRF and can provide a link without incurring any further cost to himself.

If you ever need a Daily Racing Form, GM is your man.  He will set you up like the big swinging **** he is.  IOW, you will get it for free.*

*Free assumes that GM has already purchased said DRF and can provide a link without incurring any further cost to himself.
:lmao:

Point to where I hurt you, Chet?

Users who are viewing this thread