Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

my wife is a news watcher.  so, she gets to hear all the death and destruction anyone could ever want to hear about.  she likes to pass on some of these stories, i started answering her more tragic stories of woe with, 'thanks posty"  she was shuked.  so i told her about posty.  now, she cheerfully asks me if i want to hear a posty story before she lays one on me. :lmao:  

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

the fad in the Europe is no central air, instead they have those Mitsubishi type single units in each room running off an exterior mounted compressor.  usually a compressor can run up to 3 of these units, which can do a/c and heat.  I have seen some of them now in my neighborhood.  I believe they will become more common in the future.  no sense for me to cool and heat 1200 sq ft upstairs if I am only in one room, may as well use the room unit.  the look isn't that terrible if mounted in the right spot.

retro-fitting into the side of walls with that stuff connected outside gives a nice 3rd-world feel that most of us are going for.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

retro-fitting into the side of walls with that stuff connected outside gives a nice 3rd-world feel that most of us are going for.  

is having one of those compressors better or worse than having 7 window mounted air conditioners dripping and rusting?

5 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

lol - no, it isn't.  

It also isn't 1965 anymore either.  

I am not arguing current year, but if you have an older house that takes window units, I think the 3rd world look is an option.  its not like the unit needs to be velcro'd to the house in the front.  Some yahoos in my neighborhood have decided that the garage is livable space and have installed these units.  Also, in some areas in NY, garages have been converted to rental apratments.  These units allow for the rental to have its own meter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Split ductless systems aren't exactly third world. Step up over window or through-wall ptac setups. 

Yeah, they have them everywhere in Croatia and they are much nicer than the window units we have in the the city.  You get to keep they use of your windows which is very nice and the cold air sort of comes down on you instead of blowing out at you.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Yeah, they have them everywhere in Croatia and they are much nicer than the window units we have in the the city.  You get to keep they use of your windows which is very nice and the cold air sort of comes down on you instead of blowing out at you.  

this was my point.  in the US, we have better, more aesthetic ways of hiding the components.  someone by me used a painted downspout for the electrical.

3 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

this was my point.  in the US, we have better, more aesthetic ways of hiding the components.  someone by me used a painted downspout for the electrical.

I mean over there, they are everywhere and you just sort of get used to them since they are either placed on the side or back of the houses.  It's only in the 4+ story buildings where they are noticable and ugly.  

I also forgot they are much quieter than window units.  

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I have them. They work great and barely noticeable. Also quiet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

lol - no, it isn't.  

It also isn't 1965 anymore either.  

They are a good modern alternative/ Problem is they are a little pricey upfront, but you save plenty to pay for it.

Invented a new phrase tonight.  

Wife and I were at the store and I was debating which beer to buy.  The wife mildly criticized my choice. We went back and forth for a minute about it.

Although she knows a lot about beer because of her job, she doesn’t really drink it.  

I told her “what do you care? I’m the one that’s going to drink it.  Stop being a ‘backseat drinker’.”

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Chemical X said:

the fad in the Europe is no central air, instead they have those Mitsubishi type single units in each room running off an exterior mounted compressor.  usually a compressor can run up to 3 of these units, which can do a/c and heat.  I have seen some of them now in my neighborhood.  I believe they will become more common in the future.  no sense for me to cool and heat 1200 sq ft upstairs if I am only in one room, may as well use the room unit.  the look isn't that terrible if mounted in the right spot.

I saw those for the first time when we were in Italy last year. It was hot as balls and those units did a great job.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ex-ghost said:

I saw those for the first time when we were in Italy last year. It was hot as balls and those units did a great job.

though binky the skeptic doesn't like these, they are quite efficient.

54 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I understand that they are efficient - the multiple pipe and unit setups outside aren't aesthetically pleasing.  

I agree......they can be though if the installer cares a bit.  Most over there don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I understand that they are efficient - the multiple pipe and unit setups outside aren't aesthetically pleasing.  

Are you talking about the condensing units outside? Any split system is going to have this... So I'm confused what we're comparing to in terms of aesthetic pleasure..

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Are you talking about the condensing units outside? Any split system is going to have this... So I'm confused what we're comparing to in terms of aesthetic pleasure..

yeah, regular centralized AC can collect the outside units together (in most cases) and you can hide them with some fencing/shrubbery - and there is no piping coming high down the wall.  These units are everywhere the units are and have the piping coming down the entirety of the wall.  

26 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

yeah, regular centralized AC can collect the outside units together (in most cases) and you can hide them with some fencing/shrubbery - and there is no piping coming high down the wall.  These units are everywhere the units are and have the piping coming down the entirety of the wall.  

It's the same for these- can be put anywhere. Same basic condensing units. What you're complaining about are situations where they've been retrofit and internal piping isn't an option...but at least the split ductless allows people to get AC. 

The cares I give here are very slight... just not understanding the dislike.

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's the same for these- can be put anywhere. Same basic condensing units. What you're complaining about are situations where they've been retrofit and internal piping isn't an option...but at least the split ductless allows people to get AC. 

The cares I give here are very slight... just not understanding the dislike.

I'm talking about retro-fit Mr. Difficult.  

this is nice.

Last day of school.  A lot of yearbooks to sign.

A couple of years ago I started signing every yearbook with 

To my favorite student.

-Mr. Malloy

Every. Single. One.

So earlier today a couple of girls, Sierra and Maci noticed that I signed their yearbooks the exact same way.

A third girl, Bella, comes up and says "Sign my yearbook but it has to be different than how you signed Sierra and Maci's!"

I signed it

"To my third favorite student after Sierra and Maci.

-Mr. Malloy

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

Last day of school.  A lot of yearbooks to sign.

A couple of years ago I started signing every yearbook with 

Every. Single. One.

So earlier today a couple of girls, Sierra and Maci noticed that I signed their yearbooks the exact same way.

A third girl, Bella, comes up and says "Sign my yearbook but it has to be different than how you signed Sierra and Maci's!"

I signed it

I laughed.

Weird how all your female students have stripper names though.

20 hours ago, Thomas The Skank Engine said:

HVACguys.com down?

So we have a Tri-level house and it seems my AC is constantly running.  I’ll have it set to 68 but the thermostat will show actual temp at like 70-73 and the unit just keeps pumping out cold air

we do get a few degree disparity between ground floor and upstairs, so I’m not sure if this is why or if there are some other issues I should be looking at.  I’d guess the central air system is at least 15 years old, possibly twice that

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:07 AM, Binky The Doormat said:

Veggietales Facts‏ @Veggiefact 1h1 hour ago

I want to get my ####### bleached but I only want to do it so that I can get a tramp stamp that says "new look, same great flavor" like they put on redesigned cereal boxes

The millennials call this changing your ring tone.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Maybe you could make the walls out of pipes so they don't look out of place.

27 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Almost recovered from my party on Saturday and the following two days of aftermath.  Thanks to Red for coming.

also @General Malaise I’m at Costco enjoying a Polish dog.

In the Parking lot?

Can we talk funnel drains... Cuz #### those things right?

• Like 1

And just for some contrast...

Highland High, on the other side of town,  has had a bagpipe band since the school opened in 1970.  This is the school I would have gone to if my parents hadn’t put me in private school.

https://www.facebook.com/BakersfieldCalifornian/videos/10155627277119021/

1. No idea why this was filmed with a potato.

2. The old dudes are alumni that fill in for graduating seniors

1 hour ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

Sorry for the Facebook link but...

Here’s Oildale for you.

https://www.facebook.com/KGET17News/posts/10155703664666314

1. Yes, Olivia Lavoice is smokin hot

2.  The family at 1:49 is the typical Oildale family.  Love the guy on the right.

3.  The supernintendo did a good job taking the blame.

And I was on stage, looking for a green bandana and I couldn’t find one. That’s when I knew dad wasn’t there. At first I figured he was probably in the lobby asking for a Pepsi and they wouldn’t give one to him, but in a million years I wouldn’t have guessed that it was because he was late 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

And I was on stage, looking for a green bandana and I couldn’t find one. That’s when I knew dad wasn’t there. At first I figured he was probably in the lobby asking for a Pepsi and they wouldn’t give one to him, but in a million years I wouldn’t have guessed that it was because he was late 

:lmao: 

You're the one who's crazy.

• Like 2