What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (19 Viewers)

We were at a big shopping complex for my sons birthday (Escape Room) and passed by one of those puppy stores so of course the kids wanted to go in

it was nice playing with the dogs for a few minutes but no way I would ever support one of those places.  Honestly didn’t even like being in there but we had a bunch of friends with us so it didn’t seem like the right time for a soapbox moment 

also lots of designer dogs (Pom-Chi, GoldenDoodle, etc).  They wanted $4K for some English bulldog/pug mix.  GTFO

they did have a Doge puppy that might have been the cutest puppy I’ve ever seen but again no way I would support that place

will be getting another dog sooner or later but will most likely go the shelter route
we adopted our dog from one of these pet store places. but the adoption center is actually run by the humane society and they use it for overflow that they can't effectively house at the building they're in now. so sometimes you go to the pet store and there are 5 dogs and 3 cats. but then there's a surge at the humane society and the overflow goes to this pet store and they have 14 dogs and 11 cats.

a sort of space rental until (if) they can raise enough money to expand the original location.

yours might have the same arrangement.

we adopted our dog from one of these pet store places. but the adoption center is actually run by the humane society and they use it for overflow that they can't effectively house at the building they're in now. so sometimes you go to the pet store and there are 5 dogs and 3 cats. but then there's a surge at the humane society and the overflow goes to this pet store and they have 14 dogs and 11 cats.

a sort of space rental until (if) they can raise enough money to expand the original location.

yours might have the same arrangement.
Nah it was this place 

https://www.thefamilypuppy.com/

we did just apply to adopt this little ##### though

https://www.petfinder.com/dog/samantha-must-apply-to-adopt-43486570/mi/livonia/bark-bark-wag-dog-rescue-mi1025/

Had a cat wandering the neighborhood, figured it for a stray.  Couple nights ago I'm out shoveling the driveway and this car rolls up and yadda yadda yadda, the cat was begging at their door, and they can't keep it overnight because allergies, and the humane society is closed, and the police can't really do anything blah blah blah.  I immediately see where this is going, and I realize the best thing I could do is to say sorry can't help you, go back inside, and don't say a word about this to anyone.

Of course, now we have now adopted her and named her Callie the calico.  Murray hates her and it's mutual.  

We have reached out various places to see if she's possibly someone's lost cat, but based on the vet results and her incredible skinniness and how she devours any food, I'm guessing she was a stray and is here to stay.  Neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading to Sedona in early March.  Anyone been to and have any recommendations for food, booze, lodging?  TIA
It really is worth waiting in line for Elote Cafe.  One of the best meals I've had anywhere.  

It's hard to go wrong in Sedona; great food everywhere.  We stayed in a vrbo that I'd highly recommend, but not sure what you're looking for - it was quite large and pricey so not the right choice if you're just a couple.  Also lots of great hiking!  I think @Zow is the Sedona expert around here.

It really is worth waiting in line for Elote Cafe.  One of the best meals I've had anywhere.  

It's hard to go wrong in Sedona; great food everywhere.  We stayed in a vrbo that I'd highly recommend, but not sure what you're looking for - it was quite large and pricey so not the right choice if you're just a couple.  Also lots of great hiking!  I think @Zow is the Sedona expert around here.
Yes, I am a rather frequent visitor.  Happy to answer any questions or provide suggestions.  I've stayed in most of the hotel/resorts in the area, done a lot of the easier to medium trails, eaten at most restaurants, etc. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed Elote so much.  Every person I've ever sent there has raved about it. 

Heading to Sedona in early March.  Anyone been to and have any recommendations for food, booze, lodging?  TIA
Who are you going with? Interests? 

Also too bad you're going early March.  I'll be there at the end of March. 

Whom are you going with and how fancy do you want to be?
Mrs O and I are doing a long weekend.  Not super fancy.  

Thinking of staying at a B&B called Canyon Villa, but open to other B&Bs or reasonable (ha) boutique hotels

Yes, I am a rather frequent visitor.  Happy to answer any questions or provide suggestions.  I've stayed in most of the hotel/resorts in the area, done a lot of the easier to medium trails, eaten at most restaurants, etc. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed Elote so much.  Every person I've ever sent there has raved about it. 
Cool

Who are you going with? Interests? 

Also too bad you're going early March.  I'll be there at the end of March. 
We’re light to medium hikers.  Restaurant recommendations are always appreciated.  I saw a winery tour we’d like to do.  Recommendations for wineries in the area?  And a spa for Mrs. O?  Maybe do a Jeep tour one day. 3/6-3/11.  Last night we will stay in Phoenix near airport most likely.

You’re right in my wheelhouse with a not so expensive long weekend for a married couple. I’m pretty slammed through mid afternoon today but I’ll draft my brochure for the place before the day’s end. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
You’re right in my wheelhouse with a not so expensive long weekend for a married couple. I’m pretty slammed through mid afternoon today but I’ll draft my brochure for the place before the day’s end. 
Most appreciated 

Mrs O and I are doing a long weekend.  Not super fancy.  

Thinking of staying at a B&B called Canyon Villa, but open to other B&Bs or reasonable (ha) boutique hotels

Cool

We’re light to medium hikers.  Restaurant recommendations are always appreciated.  I saw a winery tour we’d like to do.  Recommendations for wineries in the area?  And a spa for Mrs. O?  Maybe do a Jeep tour one day. 3/6-3/11.  Last night we will stay in Phoenix near airport most likely.
I'll chime in RE: the wineries.  Guessing most in Sedona would tell you to hit Page Springs Cellars, Javelina Leap, etc.  They're fine.  If you're wanting to hit the wineries, I think it's worth a few extra minutes to go to Cottonwood.  Hell, I'd plan to spend an afternoon there and crash at Tavern Hotel for the night. 

Merkin is owned by Maynard James Keenan, of the band Tool.  Pricey for AZ wines, but not bad. He's actually a serious winemaker and has invested heavily in the area.  He also owns Caduceus up in Jerome. Both are well-reviewed, but I'm not sure they're worth the price jump from some of the other wineries in the area. Better values imo, but worth a tasting.

Burning Tree and Arizona Stronghold are both good places to sit outside and do a tasting. One has a patio in the back, the other a nice area out front along the main strip through town.  Pillsbury has pretty decent wines for the price and occasionally will have live musicians set up inside.  I'd skip Winery 101, personally.  Wasn't a fan. 

You can also go right up the road to Clarkdale, where there's basically a whole lot of nothing.  But there is an old bank building that they turned into a tasting room called Four Eight Wineworks. This might have been our favorite visit, as they're basically a collective, pouring something like 10 different small batch wineries, including one run by the Yavapai College Oenology Center (or something like that).

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised.  And head to Crema for brunch.  The patio out back is fantastic, and the food is even better.

It is worse today.  Cant put any weight on it.   I'm thinking amputation.  Am having some fun popping wheelies in my new wheel chair.  

IDK but it's admirable shtick if he finishes the task.

(Unless you've got your settings to get an e-mail every time someone "likes" one of your posts, I suppose)
I for one appreciate the uptick in likes. I think he's single-handedly put me into triple digits.

doesn't seem too difficult- start reading the thread and give a like to each post. not like hitting the like button is going to add that much time to this endeavor.

Osaurus said:
Most appreciated 
Long day so I went back and copy and pasted some recommendations I've previously made.  Hopefully my editing makes sense. Bob Sacamano actually made some interesting points above and he's not wrong about a lot of what he said.  I'm going to be recommending the Cornville area wineries (Paige Spring Cellers, Javalina Leap, DA Ranch, Oak Creek Vineyards) because they're closer and I find them to be more intimate but I've been to the places he's recommending and they're all good too.  The trek to Jerome (mining town on the side of the hill) is pretty fun and if you make a day of hit head to Haunted Hamburger for a quick bite in addition to what he listed.  A winery tour is a decent idea but if one of you can stay below impaired to the slightest degree and have a rental car I recommend just driving to them and going about your own pace.  I'll detail the wineries below but you can easily hit up all 4 in an afternoon as tasting prices aren't bad. 

Sedona area: Sedona essentially breaks down into two main areas: Sedona proper and the Village of Oak Creek.  I've been to Sedona probably a dozen or so times, but I've always stayed at one of three resorts and they're all located in the latter area, Oak Creek. Oak Creek is about a ten to fifteen minute drive from where you're at (east on 179). Also, while I've been a dozen or so times, I've always gone with the same goals and have generally done the same thing. That is, I've gone with significant others with the goal of relaxing, drinking, and maybe some recreational hiking. So, bear in mind that my input and expertise of the area focuses on these two purposes.  This sounds like it matches up to your plan as well. 

Lodging: I believe you mentioned a bed and breakfast.  I did the Quail Inn and it was all right.  I've also stayed in a couple of the hotels and once we did a timeshare rental.  Personally, I also look to choose between either the Hilton Resort or the Poco Diablo Resort.  The grounds at each are nice, the rooms big, they have pools and hot tubs, etc. and the restaurant at each isn't bad. I think it'll run somewhere between $150-$200 per night. About nine years ago I had an amazing run on the Priceline Name Your Own price and got the Hilton for $100 a bunch of times.  Love grabbing an Oak Creek Amber and sitting out by the fire pits they have.  Nonetheless, if I were you, I'd do some priceline/vrbo/etc surfing and see what you find. 

Hiking: While I haven't done a ton of it, my novice take of the area is that it's basically a hiker's paradise. I've always hiked the Bell Rock Pathway (located on SR 179 in between Sedona and Oak Creek) and have always chosen a 4-5 mile "moderate" route off that pathway (the pictures I recently posted were the "Courthouse Loop" off that pathway). I'm sure there are much more difficult hikes and I've seen people on top of some of the formations so I'll defer you to google or hiking blogs or whatever. Regardless, I have no doubt that the weather will be beautiful when you're there (60s and sunny for us usually in March) and the scenery will be unique. I believe Krista did some more laborious hikes when she was there. 

Sightseeing: If you're looking to sightsee, the popular option (which I haven't done) is the "pink jeep tour". I've heard the off road/more intense one is pretty awesome. There's also a whole vortex/artsy/sweat lodge/spiritual element to Sedona that admittedly, aside from some strange hot rock massage (where the masseuse doesn't touch you but instead sends "energy"), I've never really explored that so, again, I'd defer to other sources.  Sounds like your wife wants a massage but I'm probably not the best source for where to go. 

Drink: What I am an expert on is the food and beverage aspect of Sedona. First, it's surprisingly a great area for wine. 10-15 minutes from you is Cornville where there are four wineries all right next to each other. I'd recommend budgeting an entire afternoon to do tastings and cheese plates at these four locations. I believe you can find a group bus going or use an uber if you don't want to drive (seriously, don't risk much, AZ has the harshest DUI laws in the country). There's also a good tasting room in downtown Sedona.

But, here's my take on the four wineries: 

1. Paige Spring Cellars - Maynard (from Tool) used to be a part of this but isn't anymore.  There's a documentary called "Blood Into Wine" though that references this place and details it a bit.  It's got an awesome place to sit by the creek to have wine, there are massage rooms, and the tasting room/lounge is super nice. It'll be the most crowded so I'd go there first. The small plates here are good. 

2. Oak Creek Vineyards - Easily the most relaxed and inexpensive of the four.  I love their Zinfandel.  My wife and I usually get the cheese plate and wine tasting pairing and chill out for awhile. The wine isn't the same quality as the other places but think of this winery as your favorite dive bar where the people are chill. 

3. Javalina Leap - Incredible wine but the makes there are a bit pretentious.  The tasting room is just okay but that do have a back area and their food is good.  They also have a killer Zinfandel and some seasonal so I usually buy a bottle or two here.  I just had a couple of bad experiences where they seem to size each customer up when they walk in and tend to give poor service to people they may think are, well, poor.  I once went in there after a softball tournament with a buddy of mine as we intended on going home heroes with copious amounts of wine for our wives.  They took one look at us in our silly and dirty uniforms ignored us for what had to be at least twenty minutes until my buddy, who isn't as patient as I am, called them out.  It was off-putting but, dammit, I still bought a bottle of the Zin. 

4. DA Ranch - This one is set back a bit (you can't see it from the road) so watch for the sign just west of Javalina Leap or you may miss it.  The tasting room is inside this incredibly renovated cabin and you'll likely be served by a very talkative woman from New York.  She's actually kind of endearing and if you let her talk about herself she'll pour heavy.  I believe their wine is the most expensive.  But you can't not go here as the cabin is really really nice and got a more down to earth vibe like the Oak Creek Vineyards. 

As Sacamano mentioned the Caduceus Cellars, Merkin, and Cellar 433 in Jerome are a nice trio of wineries to hit elsewhere.  Same with Clarkdale.  

Food: Regarding food, there's some really nice options throughout. Again, my wife and I mainly stay in Oak Creek and I'm sure there's some equally good options in Sedona itself, but without a doubt you MUST try "Elote" (it's in a hotel on the southeast edge of Sedona). There will inevitably be an hour late but it's worth it. The place opens at 5:00 PM but you should get there around 4ish (seriously) as a line will already be forming.  While you're waiting you can grab a margarita and throw some bags or hang out outside. I have done a couple of finer places but there isn't way I'd say is an absolute must go.  The "Cucina Rustica" (Italian) in Oak Creek is very good but you're probably looking at easily over $100 for the meal and drinks. Similarly, Mariposa and Dahl and Di Luca are pricey but good.  For breakfast, I strongly recommend the Red Rock Cafe and Miley's Cafe. For a quick and cheap bite go to Walter's Dogs. If you're headed to other areas, Cottonwood has some surprisingly very good restaurants.  I'd recommend the Tavern Grille and Pizzeria Bocce.  But, you gotta get the torta at the Verde Lea Market Deli and Grille (looks like a crappy gas station from the outside but it's killer). 

Nightlife: There's not much of a night life in Sedona (although I've done New Years at the saloon near where you're staying) so generally days will end with dinner. This is why I recommend maybe springing for a resort, vrbo, or a timeshare place instead so you and your wife can have wine at the hot tub or have a comfortable room to watch a movie, have a fire, or whatever. 

Day trips: If you're looking for day trips, you're actually maybe 2 hours from the south rim of the grand canyon and I'd recommend Flagstaff, Jerome, and Cottonwood for excursions if you want to check out some other places. If you decide to do so, let me know and I can provide input on all three locations. Flagstaff will actually be a little chilly but you can drive up scenic 89A and see the pines. 

Again, you're going with your wife and it sounds like you're there for a few days.  My wife and I do a Friday - Sunday trip for our anniversary every year and, for at least the past three years, we have done the exact same thing.  To give you an idea of what I'd consider a good but not crazy expensive weekend in Sedona, here's what we do : 

Friday - Head up in morning from Phoenix.  Get to Cornville about 11:00 and have a small plate and first tasting at Paige Spring Cellars.  Slowly work our way down the remaining three.  Do the tastings, make some friends, and inevitably by 2-3 bottles for the weekend. Head to the resort to check in by 3:30.  Grab an uber to Elote and get in line.  Have a margarita, share some popcorn and play bags, not caring about the wait.  Eat and enjoy (I'd recommend at least one app and then either the pork cheeks or the sea bass). Uber back to resort.  Share some wine and hang out.  We have little kids so inevitably we're asleep early. 

Saturday - sleep in (although seeing the sun shine on the red rock in the morning is awesome).  I'll usually grab something to go at the resort for breakfast and eat in the room while my wife slowly does whatever she does (although I think last time she was up pretty early and we grab some avocado toast somewhere).  We then drive to the Bell Rock hiking area and hike 4-5 miles.  Grab a Walter's dog for a late lunch after the hike.  Head back to the room and crack the wine.  Usually we'll sneak the wine into the pool/hot tub area and hang out for a bit then take a nap.  Wake up and dress up a bit for dinner.  Uber to Cucina Rustica for dinner.  If we're feeling energized we'll head to the tasting room or to the old towne saloon. Or, we crash back at the room. 

Sunday - sleep in and then pack up.  Hit either Miley's or Red Rock Cafe for breakfast.  By this point my wife is missing the kids pretty badly so we head back.  

Both of us love it and we'll probably be doing the above plan, without deviation, for years to come. :shrug:  

Long day so I went back and copy and pasted some recommendations I've previously made.  Hopefully my editing makes sense. Bob Sacamano actually made some interesting points above and he's not wrong about a lot of what he said.  I'm going to be recommending the Cornville area wineries (Paige Spring Cellers, Javalina Leap, DA Ranch, Oak Creek Vineyards) because they're closer and I find them to be more intimate but I've been to the places he's recommending and they're all good too.  The trek to Jerome (mining town on the side of the hill) is pretty fun and if you make a day of hit head to Haunted Hamburger for a quick bite in addition to what he listed.  A winery tour is a decent idea but if one of you can stay below impaired to the slightest degree and have a rental car I recommend just driving to them and going about your own pace.  I'll detail the wineries below but you can easily hit up all 4 in an afternoon as tasting prices aren't bad. 

Sedona area: Sedona essentially breaks down into two main areas: Sedona proper and the Village of Oak Creek.  I've been to Sedona probably a dozen or so times, but I've always stayed at one of three resorts and they're all located in the latter area, Oak Creek. Oak Creek is about a ten to fifteen minute drive from where you're at (east on 179). Also, while I've been a dozen or so times, I've always gone with the same goals and have generally done the same thing. That is, I've gone with significant others with the goal of relaxing, drinking, and maybe some recreational hiking. So, bear in mind that my input and expertise of the area focuses on these two purposes.  This sounds like it matches up to your plan as well. 

Lodging: I believe you mentioned a bed and breakfast.  I did the Quail Inn and it was all right.  I've also stayed in a couple of the hotels and once we did a timeshare rental.  Personally, I also look to choose between either the Hilton Resort or the Poco Diablo Resort.  The grounds at each are nice, the rooms big, they have pools and hot tubs, etc. and the restaurant at each isn't bad. I think it'll run somewhere between $150-$200 per night. About nine years ago I had an amazing run on the Priceline Name Your Own price and got the Hilton for $100 a bunch of times.  Love grabbing an Oak Creek Amber and sitting out by the fire pits they have.  Nonetheless, if I were you, I'd do some priceline/vrbo/etc surfing and see what you find. 

Hiking: While I haven't done a ton of it, my novice take of the area is that it's basically a hiker's paradise. I've always hiked the Bell Rock Pathway (located on SR 179 in between Sedona and Oak Creek) and have always chosen a 4-5 mile "moderate" route off that pathway (the pictures I recently posted were the "Courthouse Loop" off that pathway). I'm sure there are much more difficult hikes and I've seen people on top of some of the formations so I'll defer you to google or hiking blogs or whatever. Regardless, I have no doubt that the weather will be beautiful when you're there (60s and sunny for us usually in March) and the scenery will be unique. I believe Krista did some more laborious hikes when she was there. 

Sightseeing: If you're looking to sightsee, the popular option (which I haven't done) is the "pink jeep tour". I've heard the off road/more intense one is pretty awesome. There's also a whole vortex/artsy/sweat lodge/spiritual element to Sedona that admittedly, aside from some strange hot rock massage (where the masseuse doesn't touch you but instead sends "energy"), I've never really explored that so, again, I'd defer to other sources.  Sounds like your wife wants a massage but I'm probably not the best source for where to go. 

Drink: What I am an expert on is the food and beverage aspect of Sedona. First, it's surprisingly a great area for wine. 10-15 minutes from you is Cornville where there are four wineries all right next to each other. I'd recommend budgeting an entire afternoon to do tastings and cheese plates at these four locations. I believe you can find a group bus going or use an uber if you don't want to drive (seriously, don't risk much, AZ has the harshest DUI laws in the country). There's also a good tasting room in downtown Sedona.

But, here's my take on the four wineries: 

1. Paige Spring Cellars - Maynard (from Tool) used to be a part of this but isn't anymore.  There's a documentary called "Blood Into Wine" though that references this place and details it a bit.  It's got an awesome place to sit by the creek to have wine, there are massage rooms, and the tasting room/lounge is super nice. It'll be the most crowded so I'd go there first. The small plates here are good. 

2. Oak Creek Vineyards - Easily the most relaxed and inexpensive of the four.  I love their Zinfandel.  My wife and I usually get the cheese plate and wine tasting pairing and chill out for awhile. The wine isn't the same quality as the other places but think of this winery as your favorite dive bar where the people are chill. 

3. Javalina Leap - Incredible wine but the makes there are a bit pretentious.  The tasting room is just okay but that do have a back area and their food is good.  They also have a killer Zinfandel and some seasonal so I usually buy a bottle or two here.  I just had a couple of bad experiences where they seem to size each customer up when they walk in and tend to give poor service to people they may think are, well, poor.  I once went in there after a softball tournament with a buddy of mine as we intended on going home heroes with copious amounts of wine for our wives.  They took one look at us in our silly and dirty uniforms ignored us for what had to be at least twenty minutes until my buddy, who isn't as patient as I am, called them out.  It was off-putting but, dammit, I still bought a bottle of the Zin. 

4. DA Ranch - This one is set back a bit (you can't see it from the road) so watch for the sign just west of Javalina Leap or you may miss it.  The tasting room is inside this incredibly renovated cabin and you'll likely be served by a very talkative woman from New York.  She's actually kind of endearing and if you let her talk about herself she'll pour heavy.  I believe their wine is the most expensive.  But you can't not go here as the cabin is really really nice and got a more down to earth vibe like the Oak Creek Vineyards. 

As Sacamano mentioned the Caduceus Cellars, Merkin, and Cellar 433 in Jerome are a nice trio of wineries to hit elsewhere.  Same with Clarkdale.  

Food: Regarding food, there's some really nice options throughout. Again, my wife and I mainly stay in Oak Creek and I'm sure there's some equally good options in Sedona itself, but without a doubt you MUST try "Elote" (it's in a hotel on the southeast edge of Sedona). There will inevitably be an hour late but it's worth it. The place opens at 5:00 PM but you should get there around 4ish (seriously) as a line will already be forming.  While you're waiting you can grab a margarita and throw some bags or hang out outside. I have done a couple of finer places but there isn't way I'd say is an absolute must go.  The "Cucina Rustica" (Italian) in Oak Creek is very good but you're probably looking at easily over $100 for the meal and drinks. Similarly, Mariposa and Dahl and Di Luca are pricey but good.  For breakfast, I strongly recommend the Red Rock Cafe and Miley's Cafe. For a quick and cheap bite go to Walter's Dogs. If you're headed to other areas, Cottonwood has some surprisingly very good restaurants.  I'd recommend the Tavern Grille and Pizzeria Bocce.  But, you gotta get the torta at the Verde Lea Market Deli and Grille (looks like a crappy gas station from the outside but it's killer). 

Nightlife: There's not much of a night life in Sedona (although I've done New Years at the saloon near where you're staying) so generally days will end with dinner. This is why I recommend maybe springing for a resort, vrbo, or a timeshare place instead so you and your wife can have wine at the hot tub or have a comfortable room to watch a movie, have a fire, or whatever. 

Day trips: If you're looking for day trips, you're actually maybe 2 hours from the south rim of the grand canyon and I'd recommend Flagstaff, Jerome, and Cottonwood for excursions if you want to check out some other places. If you decide to do so, let me know and I can provide input on all three locations. Flagstaff will actually be a little chilly but you can drive up scenic 89A and see the pines. 

Again, you're going with your wife and it sounds like you're there for a few days.  My wife and I do a Friday - Sunday trip for our anniversary every year and, for at least the past three years, we have done the exact same thing.  To give you an idea of what I'd consider a good but not crazy expensive weekend in Sedona, here's what we do : 

Friday - Head up in morning from Phoenix.  Get to Cornville about 11:00 and have a small plate and first tasting at Paige Spring Cellars.  Slowly work our way down the remaining three.  Do the tastings, make some friends, and inevitably by 2-3 bottles for the weekend. Head to the resort to check in by 3:30.  Grab an uber to Elote and get in line.  Have a margarita, share some popcorn and play bags, not caring about the wait.  Eat and enjoy (I'd recommend at least one app and then either the pork cheeks or the sea bass). Uber back to resort.  Share some wine and hang out.  We have little kids so inevitably we're asleep early. 

Saturday - sleep in (although seeing the sun shine on the red rock in the morning is awesome).  I'll usually grab something to go at the resort for breakfast and eat in the room while my wife slowly does whatever she does (although I think last time she was up pretty early and we grab some avocado toast somewhere).  We then drive to the Bell Rock hiking area and hike 4-5 miles.  Grab a Walter's dog for a late lunch after the hike.  Head back to the room and crack the wine.  Usually we'll sneak the wine into the pool/hot tub area and hang out for a bit then take a nap.  Wake up and dress up a bit for dinner.  Uber to Cucina Rustica for dinner.  If we're feeling energized we'll head to the tasting room or to the old towne saloon. Or, we crash back at the room. 

Sunday - sleep in and then pack up.  Hit either Miley's or Red Rock Cafe for breakfast.  By this point my wife is missing the kids pretty badly so we head back.  

Both of us love it and we'll probably be doing the above plan, without deviation, for years to come. :shrug:  
Related

It's been a horrible day.  I woke up knowing I was going to have a brutal workday, which was then made worse when my right-hand woman had to leave mid-morning and had emergency surgery at 5 pm.  I talked to her and think she'll be OK, but all of that is killing me, from the emotional toll to the fact I have no one to step in at a time when we are already pummeled (and yes, I know it's worse for her).  I had actually turned down a deal earlier in the morning, which I never ever do, because we were already too busy.  I just finished working for the day.

As I was trying to figure out how to handle that, I got a call from Mr. krista that he had basically totaled my car.  He is fine except for the fact that he believed he was going to be t-boned and die.  Shockingly, the accident wasn't his fault, but not shockingly, the guy who hit him was uninsured.  We have coverage and all, but having his 13-year-old Prius as our only car for god knows how long isn't ideal, and insurance hassle blahblahblah.

Have I mentioned that we still haven't sold the house we moved out of 4.5 months ago?

I'm just venting because taking my 90-day prescription of Trazodone all at once doesn't seem a viable option.  I need a 2018 do-over.

It's been a horrible day.  I woke up knowing I was going to have a brutal workday, which was then made worse when my right-hand woman had to leave mid-morning and had emergency surgery at 5 pm.  I talked to her and think she'll be OK, but all of that is killing me, from the emotional toll to the fact I have no one to step in at a time when we are already pummeled (and yes, I know it's worse for her).  I had actually turned down a deal earlier in the morning, which I never ever do, because we were already too busy.  I just finished working for the day.

As I was trying to figure out how to handle that, I got a call from Mr. krista that he had basically totaled my car.  He is fine except for the fact that he believed he was going to be t-boned and die.  Shockingly, the accident wasn't his fault, but not shockingly, the guy who hit him was uninsured.  We have coverage and all, but having his 13-year-old Prius as our only car for god knows how long isn't ideal, and insurance hassle blahblahblah.

Have I mentioned that we still haven't sold the house we moved out of 4.5 months ago?

I'm just venting because taking my 90-day prescription of Trazodone all at once doesn't seem a viable option.  I need a 2018 do-over.
Oof. Not a good day at all. Here's hoping for an upswing soon for you guys and your coworker.

On a lighter note, I've noticed Julio has started posting on Facebook after an absence. I also noticed he changed his name AGAIN.

:hug: 

Worst birthday ever

Sucky day k4- sorry. :(

glad the Mr isnt dead. And I guess the right hand broad too, although her I have my doubts about.

I think you need to go back and read yesterday or mondays section of puppy-chat.

I hope your colleague is getting better and you have a better day today.

My 5 1/2 mil project looks to finally be value engineered to be 3 1/4 and starting demo soon. Merry Xmas downstairs neighbors!

The bidset I was whining about the other weeks...been walking the bidding contractors and subs through and seeing just how much stuff I missed given their questions (this is a one pipe radiator system, but it was plumbed like a two pipe system with the valve on the feed instead of the return....your drawings don't cover that). This is exactly the "I'm a fraud" #### I freak myself out over, but smack in my face instead of coming from inside my face. Trying my best to roll and treat it as the time to pick up anything like that to help the project in a good way...but these walkthroughs are psychological torture for me since each contractor and subs whole m.o. is usually to find the discrepancies and coordination errors and then tell me about them.

But it's holdiay gift basket season in the office so chocolate galore. Frown turned upside down.

I'll be honest. this was way more impressive before I remembered that you're 3 timezones earlier than I am. 

Hope today's a better day GBK4. Hang in there.

My 5 1/2 mil project looks to finally be value engineered to be 3 1/4 and starting demo soon. Merry Xmas downstairs neighbors!

The bidset I was whining about the other weeks...been walking the bidding contractors and subs through and seeing just how much stuff I missed given their questions (this is a one pipe radiator system, but it was plumbed like a two pipe system with the valve on the feed instead of the return....your drawings don't cover that). This is exactly the "I'm a fraud" #### I freak myself out over, but smack in my face instead of coming from inside my face. Trying my best to roll and treat it as the time to pick up anything like that to help the project in a good way...but these walkthroughs are psychological torture for me since each contractor and subs whole m.o. is usually to find the discrepancies and coordination errors and then tell me about them.

But it's holdiay gift basket season in the office so chocolate galore. Frown turned upside down.
I mean, we all make mistakes. As someone who's been in this business for 35 years, I had to learn to not sweat it (everyone's got their own way to get there). Otherwise, it's like you say - you continually beat yourself up over it. I'm on the construction side, not design, but it plays back & forth. I try really hard not to take it personal or make it personal.

Some architects and engineers get butt-hurt if anyone suggests a better way (this is a MAJOR issue with commercial structural and geotech folks, who seem to hate each other and dig their heels in), and some contractors get steamed when asked to think outside of the box.

I mean, we all make mistakes. As someone who's been in this business for 35 years, I had to learn to not sweat it (everyone's got their own way to get there). Otherwise, it's like you say - you continually beat yourself up over it. I'm on the construction side, not design, but it plays back & forth. I try really hard not to take it personal or make it personal.

Some architects and engineers get butt-hurt if anyone suggests a better way (this is a MAJOR issue with commercial structural and geotech folks, who seem to hate each other and dig their heels in), and some contractors get steamed when asked to think outside of the box.
It sucks getting called out on what I missed- but tbh the anxiety is mostly while preparing the work. I always like learning (and contractors know their jobs better than I know their jobs) no matter who from, and I always want to make the best project possible for my clients, regardless of where or who the ideas and info comes from. I look at each project as a collaborative team effort,v rather than the covet-my-### approach so many I see seem to take. But the hammer typically falls first and hardest on the scarf when things go south.

Users who are viewing this thread