What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (9 Viewers)

watching virginia/virginia tech.   apparently for va tech home games, if any of the opposing team's players miss both free throws, everyone in the building gets free bacon.

yeah- the way he buried it there, certainly lends itself to a question mark. 

hope it's a happy move for you, shuke.
It's a great move.  I was traveling every other week last year and it got to be too much.  I was faced with an ultimatum to move.  Wife and I didn't want to uproot the family right now.  Many of you know about how things have been with her health for quite some time, well we have finally turned the corner.  She had some procedures done near the end of 2017, and last year was one of the best years of our marriage/family life we've ever had.  We were able to do a long weekend trip to DC, a week at Disney, and a weekend camping/hiking in the mountains, among a number of other things.  Those would have all been unthinkable a few years ago.  So now that we finally have some kind of normalcy, I was frightened about doing anything that could possibly disrupt it.

So yea, I buried the lead there.

New job is a great opportunity and has been energizing.  Still in medical devices.  No real need to travel, maybe a handful of times a year.

I have sciatica this morning. This appears to be because on Monday, I turned up the treadmill from 2.2 mph to 2.5 mph. I know, I'm a madman. :oldunsure:

I was concerned about making it to the gym this morning, until I sneezed and almost went to the floor. Now I'm concerned about sitting in this computer chair all day and making it downtown to a meeting this evening. Not sure I can work the gas and brake pedals on my car. Really looking forward to my (fool's) golden years.

hope you feel better, kev.

we're heading to mexico (cozumel) for the kid's winter break- overlapping into school some because every travel related industry seems to be aware of the break and jack prices up ungodly amounts if you travel when "they" want you to (when school allows). we're flying tues-wed, so I'm sticking it to the man- yeah! might even ask some people to move around for us on the plane, just for s&gs.

I've got one project going into contract and pre-construction work (building in nyc is a pita- most buildings have insane demands on your schedule and approach, so this is the time I work with the contractor to make sure we have everything ready to hit the ground running and not lose any time during our allotted handful of weeks to actually build this thing) and another just starting construction with an absentee owner and absentee interior designer driving the still as yet not finished or approved design. it's never the right time for me to take vacations, but this has ended up being a particularly inopportune one... still at the office and feeling stressed. but also ready to start drinking goofy rum drinks on the beach. lets go.  

I have sciatica this morning. This appears to be because on Monday, I turned up the treadmill from 2.2 mph to 2.5 mph. I know, I'm a madman. :oldunsure:

I was concerned about making it to the gym this morning, until I sneezed and almost went to the floor. Now I'm concerned about sitting in this computer chair all day and making it downtown to a meeting this evening. Not sure I can work the gas and brake pedals on my car. Really looking forward to my (fool's) golden years.
My mom's sciatica has been acting up.  She's 83.  

ETA

You haven't lived until you've had to put one of those lidocaine patches on your own mom's butt.  

Last edited by a moderator:
@cosjobs and @krista4 - How are you guys doing?  I continue to think about you both and am sorry for your loss.  I hope you're starting to feel a little better.
Hey, I wasn't ignoring this but felt like responding with my small stuff when cos has a much more significant loss to deal with seemed...silly.  I know losses don't have to be compared, but still.

Anyway, I continue to be much more upset by this than I would have expected.  I've been in contact with Bob's friend who informed me of this, and he's so devastated.  They continued to talk every week despite being on opposite coasts.  Marty (the friend) and his wife went to the services, and I can't imagine the effect that must have had on him, too.  It's not that I will "miss" Bob so much, since we weren't in frequent contact, but it seems to be hitting me, along with losing my last grandparent a month ago, as a major life progression.  This was my first love!

It all hit me again today because I had sent a FB message to a few college friends, and they started responding.  I was the only one with a steady boyfriend in my friend group during our college years, and Bob was pretty much in every picture that any of our group has from that time, since he and I were inseparable.  Every one of my friends had a crush on him; we had all met him at the same time at a party, and everyone was vying for this guy who looked just like Tom Cruise (which was considered a good thing at the time), but I "won."  My friends have been taking it very poorly as well; one of them found an obituary with a video of him in it, which I refuse to watch yet but she did and became a blubbering mess.

I bought a card to send to his parents, but I haven't been capable yet of figuring out what I want to express to them.  I guess just that he was a great guy who meant a lot to many people, which I'm sure they already know.

Hey, I wasn't ignoring this but felt like responding with my small stuff when cos has a much more significant loss to deal with seemed...silly.  I know losses don't have to be compared, but still.

Anyway, I continue to be much more upset by this than I would have expected.  I've been in contact with Bob's friend who informed me of this, and he's so devastated.  They continued to talk every week despite being on opposite coasts.  Marty (the friend) and his wife went to the services, and I can't imagine the effect that must have had on him, too.  It's not that I will "miss" Bob so much, since we weren't in frequent contact, but it seems to be hitting me, along with losing my last grandparent a month ago, as a major life progression.  This was my first love!

It all hit me again today because I had sent a FB message to a few college friends, and they started responding.  I was the only one with a steady boyfriend in my friend group during our college years, and Bob was pretty much in every picture that any of our group has from that time, since he and I were inseparable.  Every one of my friends had a crush on him; we had all met him at the same time at a party, and everyone was vying for this guy who looked just like Tom Cruise (which was considered a good thing at the time), but I "won."  My friends have been taking it very poorly as well; one of them found an obituary with a video of him in it, which I refuse to watch yet but she did and became a blubbering mess.

I bought a card to send to his parents, but I haven't been capable yet of figuring out what I want to express to them.  I guess just that he was a great guy who meant a lot to many people, which I'm sure they already know.
Maybe open with something acknowledging your history with their son in a way that is encouraging and let them know that he was a good guy. Something like: "I'm so sorry for your loss. Bob was a great guy that I will always remember fondly as my first love and a gentle, yet passionate and vigorous, lover."

efffffffffffffff, i'm not ready for this stage of life

Remember this? Better, simpler times.

I went to my meeting last night, power-walking through the cold back to my car. I thought a little Advil had worked wonders. But after I got home, it got so much worse. Taking six-inch steps, I managed to put myself to bed, where the only position not accompanied by blinding pain was on my left side, with a large pillow between my legs.

I was supposed to meet with one of our new surgeons and his deeply confused staff this afternoon. Obviously, I can't drag a leg into a meeting with a spine surgeon. I've managed to turn that into a conference call, but I'm still considering my emergency room options. This concludes today's Sad, Broken-Down Old Clown Update.

New job is a great opportunity and has been energizing.  Still in medical devices. 
"You drink bourbon from a shoe on the internet, but you wanna sell me a medical device?  Good day, sir!"

I...uhh...honestly had zero idea that's what you did for a living.  I just assumed you were, like, a professional Bearcat fan.  I learned something today. #themoreyouknowderderdaaahdeeeer

"You drink bourbon from a shoe on the internet, but you wanna sell me a medical device?  Good day, sir!"

I...uhh...honestly had zero idea that's what you did for a living.  I just assumed you were, like, a professional Bearcat fan.  I learned something today. #themoreyouknowderderdaaahdeeeer
Sell them?  You want your mind blown?  I design them.  I’ve got a masters and patents and all kinds of stuff!

Everything on this board is total shtick. 

Remember this? Better, simpler times.

I went to my meeting last night, power-walking through the cold back to my car. I thought a little Advil had worked wonders. But after I got home, it got so much worse. Taking six-inch steps, I managed to put myself to bed, where the only position not accompanied by blinding pain was on my left side, with a large pillow between my legs.

I was supposed to meet with one of our new surgeons and his deeply confused staff this afternoon. Obviously, I can't drag a leg into a meeting with a spine surgeon. I've managed to turn that into a conference call, but I'm still considering my emergency room options. This concludes today's Sad, Broken-Down Old Clown Update.
Sucks, dude.  I’m assuming you have at-home PT stuff you’re doing?

Sucks, dude.  I’m assuming you have at-home PT stuff you’re doing?
Right now, I'm thrilled I can lever myself off the toilet without assistance. Next frontier: the shower.

I have a home TENS unit, I 'll give it a whirl this evening.

I don't have soma. Will a weapons-grade indica do?
Neuropathy here, indica and sativa are the 2 biggest weapons in my arsenal. 

Acetaminophen, ibuprofen and other otc pills have little to no effect. I don't even want to try opiates... not a good choice for me. 

However, at night, lidocaine does seem to help some. I do the pillow between the legs also, and I have 3 pillows I alternate between depending on the night. 

I empathize kev, sleeping has become a major issue for me lately. Good luck man. 

My conference call was re-scheduled, surgeon is still in the OR. Score!

It appears that surgical intervention will not be required, for now. I am now able to walk around my place without grabbing the furniture for support. I would still lose a footrace to Tanner's mom,  but things are improving.

It appears that surgical intervention will not be required, for now. I am now able to walk around my place without grabbing the furniture for support. I would still lose a footrace to Tanner's mom,  but things are improving.
Time to do some core stretches!

Physician, heal thy staff!

Woke up this morning and stretched a little. Something went snick! in my back, and pain is shooting down my leg again. So frustrating.  :kicksrock:

Woke up this morning and stretched a little. Something went snick! in my back, and pain is shooting down my leg again. So frustrating.  :kicksrock:
Sorry to hear you're hurting GB. I get a little sciatica once in a while (esp. if I don't do my hip and lower back stretches) but not near what it sounds like you're dealing with.  

Hope you get some relief soon.

We set up on an empty beach in front of our Cozumel hotel this morning and get breakfast. When we get back to the chairs, a couple and their young kid had set up immediately next to our chairs...leaving the rest of the open chairs untouched. Guy pulls out his laptop, portable speaker and cigar and turns all up to 11. Not even 10am. 

I'm a curmudgeon, right? Blasting speakers and cigars on a resort beach right next to the only other people there is totally cool...right? 

Yes. Look at me.

We set up on an empty beach in front of our Cozumel hotel this morning and get breakfast. When we get back to the chairs, a couple and their young kid had set up immediately next to our chairs...leaving the rest of the open chairs untouched. Guy pulls out his laptop, portable speaker and cigar and turns all up to 11. Not even 10am. 

I'm a curmudgeon, right? Blasting speakers and cigars on a resort beach right next to the only other people there is totally cool...right? 

Yes. Look at me.
that sucks. I hate confrontation in chill time. Was there an open spot to move or did you pull an Otis.

Yes. Look at me.
I throw Juan a $20 and have him move my #### as far away as possible. Then I kick sand on cigar boy.  Awful. 

Yes. Look at me.
Why didn't you just move?

Users who are viewing this thread