What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

I'm assuming most of those are requested at dueling piano bars everywhere. 
Well..yes..but if you go to more enlightened areas they mix it up.

A few weeks ago we were in Long Beach and my drunk wife requested “any Pixies”.  One of the players (an African-American lady) said “Holy (crap) I have never had a request like this! I love this band!”  Then she played a very respectable “Here Comes Your Man”.

And more than a few people in the crowd sang along and cheered.  Here?  It would have fallen on deaf ears.

BUT these two guys played a solid version of  “Scenes from an Italian restaurant”.  Sue me...I like that song.

This band is very competent, with two female leads who can both wail. Still not sure what their secret sauce is, but it may be Facebook marketing. I wouldn't know anything about that. 

Against my better judgement I went to yet another dueling pianos thing last night.  It was my wife’s idea.  My older sister and her friend went too.  

Now keep in mind these things can be fun if done right.  The two dudes were talented but their shtick was stale.

The worst part?  It was here.  I really hate my town sometimes and last night was brutal.  This town hasn’t had a good musical moment since before Buck Owens decided to do Hee Haw.

Let us then, you and I, run down the requests from this crowd:

Piano Man

Friends in Low Places

I Love This Bar

Africa

Hello (Adele)

Why Dont We Get Drunk and...

That Shallow Lady GaGa thing

Boheiman Rhap (classic but it has been beaten to death)

Dont Stop Believing

Hotel California 

Living on a Prayer

and many more...just send $19.99 to K-Tel for 2 LPs or 8 tracks
I miss Buck Owens.

https://youtu.be/ThQ3G6b7d-U

Been a ####ty, nothing's gone right day- closing w  text from friend that set up the wife and I, that she's got breast cancer (on top of MS).

Retograde Mercury or something.

Tomorrow will be better.
I'm sorry to hear that.  She has my best wishes.

11 months ago I started a job that has me working from my home office. I come to realize that I pretty much only leave the house (Mon-Fri) when I walk my dog several times a day. That's kinda sad.

sounds glorious
I did almost exactly that for 6 years (well, dog only for 2).  It was awesome at first....but it kinda got old, honestly.

Made it way too easy for the company to cut ties when they finally did too.  "Yeah, nobody else around here does what he does, but meh.  We never see him day to day anyway, how important can it be?"

I'll bet this was even funnier sandwiched by the Hee-Haw jokes.

Buncha bastages.  :angry:

I had to take a shower and put on decent clothes, then fight rush-hour traffic to get to the office. Just so I could plug into a network cable and call IT for the fourth time since yesterday afternoon and get THEIR malfunction straightened out. That's 2.5 hours out of my life I'll never get back. It's month-end, and there's enough wailing and gnashing of teeth already.

Page 2 save, and a proud stepdad moment.

My stepdaughter started college in FL last fall. In October, she called her mom to report that, while driving in a heavy downpour (her first experience with that), she had hydroplaned and hit the back of an SUV with her (old) Miata.  Scratched the bumper on the SUV and put a little crunch in her front fender by the headlight.  My wife got her calmed down while they waited for the cops, and told her to take pictures of everything. 

She called back later, at which time we found out that as they were moving their cars (post-cops) off the street to exchange all of their info, that the other driver had backed into the back of HER car.  Since it was private property at this point, the cops wouldn't open a separate police report.  

(Side note - due to her procrastinating on some car-related paperwork, plus FL's stupid insurance laws, she was technically not insured at the time - even though she was still on our policy in Indiana. So we assumed we'd have to shell out to get the scratched bumper fixed.)

We heard nothing further until about a month ago, when the other driver's insurance contacted her asking for $2000+ for repairs to both the bumper and the rear hatch of the SUV.  We told her to ask them for an itemized repair estimate, because we were not going to pay for the damage from the second accident that their insured had caused.  So she called them back and calmly relayed that info, at which point the insurance rep asked "what second accident".  Apparently the other driver was trying to stick her (us) for all of the damage and hadn't even mentioned that there were 2 separate incidents.

The insurer is going to refer it back to their claim investigation department.  Colleen has helpfully provided them with a 13-page Google doc that includes not only an extensive narrative of both incidents (with satellite images of the location and car locations noted for each step), but pictures of the damage to both cars from each incident.  And for bonus points, a photo of the other car's license plate showing a completely undamaged rear hatch door. 

TL;DR: Other lady's gonna have some 'splainin to do with her insurance company.

BTW, Florida apparently has so many uninsured drivers and fraudulent claims that they have to charge absurd premiums.  She got a newer car after the accident (not sure if related but ran into electrical/battery problems shortly after). The monthly premium for that is about what my wife and I pay for 2+ months of coverage on TWO cars.

heckmanm said:
BTW, Florida apparently has so many uninsured drivers and fraudulent claims that they have to charge absurd premiums.  She got a newer car after the accident (not sure if related but ran into electrical/battery problems shortly after). The monthly premium for that is about what my wife and I pay for 2+ months of coverage on TWO cars.
Not to mention a metric #### ton of dirtbag ambulance chaser attorneys.  

Well..yes..but if you go to more enlightened areas they mix it up.

A few weeks ago we were in Long Beach and my drunk wife requested “any Pixies”.  One of the players (an African-American lady) said “Holy (crap) I have never had a request like this! I love this band!”  Then she played a very respectable “Here Comes Your Man”.

And more than a few people in the crowd sang along and cheered.  Here?  It would have fallen on deaf ears.

BUT these two guys played a solid version of  “Scenes from an Italian restaurant”.  Sue me...I like that song.
@-fish-

sounds like a slam dunk

We are having a memorial service for my sister tomorrow.Its going to be at the LBJ state park near Johnson City. It will be nice and low key. Everyone will wear plaid because my sis was very fond of it.

A few years ago, my sis and I were discussing what we would choose for our last meal. We both agreed fried shrimp were the best choice, unless you're an unrefined weirdo from Bakersfield. Anyway, I'm picking up 10# of fresh 10-15s (shrimps per pound, this is big) this afternoon which I will peel and ice down. I'll head out early and setup a fryer at the park and have delicious panko fried shrimp tacos for guests as they arrive.

I'm supposed to speak, but will probably mostly sob.

At the end of the service we will sprinkle her ashes into Lake LBJ. I like that. I am hoping it gives me a bit more closure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled the weather last night for Johnson City. I could not believe how cold it was supposed to get. I decided I should go ahead and wash some cold weather clothes, including a nice plaid flannel shirt. This morning I'm looking at that weather report again, and I see it was for Johnson City TN. :bag:

I googled the weather last night for Johnson City. I could not believe how cold it was supposed to get. I decided I should go ahead and wash some cold weather clothes, including a nice plaid flannel shirt. This morning I'm looking at that weather report again, and I see it was for Johnson City TN. :bag:
Same thing happens to me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I ask my wife to pull up directions on Google Maps when we are driving.

It’s uncanny. You could line up 4 people, have them all key in the exact same address, and my wife’s directions will have us halfway to Timbuktu.

Sounds like a real nice service you have planned. I’ll bust out some plaid tomorrow too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread