What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (21 Viewers)

Happy Easter, ham.

Bad history with her, or with church... Or other reason for not looking forward?
Oh, it's not my mom. Love her to the moon and back. Not especially jazzed about possibly being a focal point in a small Southern Baptist church. I used to be very involved with the happenings at ol' Blackford Creek.

Much prefer going with Dad. Mass is much more tolerable than a fiery pulpit pounder.

Still find it great that a Catholic and Southern Baptist have been married for 33 years. Love smooths over a lot of other stuff.

Oh, it's not my mom. Love her to the moon and back. Not especially jazzed about possibly being a focal point in a small Southern Baptist church. I used to be very involved with the happenings at ol' Blackford Creek.

Much prefer going with Dad. Mass is much more tolerable than a fiery pulpit pounder.

Still find it great that a Catholic and Southern Baptist have been married for 33 years. Love smooths over a lot of other stuff.
Are you going to have to tell about your D&D endeavors?

Lol.

I aim to get there at 10:25 and leave at 11:35.

I like most of the people there. I just don't like playing too much pretend. I'll smile and be gracious and wish everyone a Happy Easter. Not going to be uppity just because I don't think the same way I used to do.

Lol.

I like most of the people there. I just don't like playing too much pretend. I'll smile and be gracious and wish everyone a Happy Easter. Not going to be uppity just because I don't think the same way I used to do.
Oh hell - I forgot. Hag - you provided all the great dnd book links, right? I think.. 

Man, I played the hell outta that. 

I was usually the wizard that stood in the middle and let meat shields take the blows. 

Then, I'd yank my staff out and start shootin' all over the place. 

Played as recently as 2007 in a forum style - 3e I think. 

That game, I was a Beguiler. Played mind f with all the orcs, goblins and other nit wits. 

Gosh - lotsa fun. 

Happy Easter! 

Btw: Floppy - @El Floppo - be careful with all your eggs today.

Don't put em all in one basket - that's bad news. ☹️

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
Yeah - I got rid of cable around 2009. The only cable bill I have is for internet. The bug the F outta me, trying to get me back on a bigger plan. I finally got hold of someone higher up and told them that if they did not stop, I would cancel the I-net and go elsewhere. It seems to have worked.

I never really watched too much tv in the first place (sports/occasional movie/news/documentaries/pbs/etc) - and I can stream all that I need that I can't get via ol'timey broadcast to floppy ears antennae.

Now - C>H>U>D - I'll keep an eye out - sounds like my kinda shtick.
No cable now for almost 18 months. I miss it but I don’t.   

Yeah, I got some less than ideal situations on big family get together days like today. 

First, I love being with my family. But, since I have to be so strict with my diet now, my Mom is having a pretty hard time. 

She just can't understand why I can't eat all of her dishes like before. She is 80 - in great shape, but doesn't remember things like she used to & she never really understood the whole protein/fat/carb thing. Yeah, she knows a fatty cut of meat, but all of the carb counting I have to do now, is beyond her. 

That, isn't the biggest problem tho. Rather, it's when I have to explain the same thing every time - and every time, she takes it just as hard. It hurts her that she can't feed me the way she used to. 

Now, honestly - other than the slight frustration at the situation (not her), I am fine repeating this every time. I know she had to repeatedly wipe my butt for a long time. I can deal. 

But, I hate seeing her in pain about it every time. ☹️

Oh well - I am about to eat lots of her low carb deviled eggs - lean ham & a few smaaaaaalll bites of her favorite dishes that I really shouldn't eat. 

F it - it's Easter & Mom! 

Sincere ✌️to all. 

No cable now for almost 18 months. I miss it but I don’t.   
Yeah, I understand. It took me a good while to adjust. Plus, I cheat now - I use Ma & Pa's subscription cable TV account to stream at my house - like free GoT. They don't even know that such things exist - so it's not like we are overloading all the city. 

But - for ta'nite - I am staying with Pa & Ma, sooo I gonna watch Got on real cable! 

😎

Lol.

I enjoy the pageantry of Easter outfits in the South, but the judgement stuff is awful. Much prefer the vibe going on at my church. This morning we had everything from full suit and tie, to t-shirt and basketball shorts, to button down shirt shirt with athletic shorts. 

Sucks that judgemental is one of the predominant perceptions of the Christian church and that it's been largely earned.

Ok, update after our early Easter brunch. Thinking about my previous post, I figured that there had to be  better way. 

Thus, we turned lemons into lemonade. 

Rather than having my Mom feel bad about not knowing how to cook for me, we cooked the meal together - as a team. 

She showed me some of her best kitchen tips - which helped me out a lot &, more importantly, it really made her feel needed again - which she always was - she just didn't feel it. 

I did the ingredient adjustments to make a portion low carb for me. And, by working with me in the kitchen, I think it will be easier for her to understand & remember. 

We are now gonna do it for every occasion like this. I get my low carbs - she gets her well earned feelings of being needed & being a good provider. 

And, we both get the experience of being with loved ones doing something fun. 

Win - win. 

Great day so far. 

🙂

Ok, update after our early Easter brunch. Thinking about my previous post, I figured that there had to be  better way. 

Thus, we turned lemons into lemonade. 

Rather than having my Mom feel bad about not knowing how to cook for me, we cooked the meal together - as a team. 

She showed me some of her best kitchen tips - which helped me out a lot &, more importantly, it really made her feel needed again - which she always was - she just didn't feel it. 

I did the ingredient adjustments to make a portion low carb for me. And, by working with me in the kitchen, I think it will be easier for her to understand & remember. 

We are now gonna do it for every occasion like this. I get my low carbs - she gets her well earned feelings of being needed & being a good provider. 

And, we both get the experience of being with loved ones doing something fun. 

Win - win. 

Great day so far. 

🙂
:goodposting:  This deserved more than just a "like"

Good stuff in the Politics forum...for once

John Blutarsky said: 

“Maurice [supposed to be Maurile] said Tanner is a model poster here and I’m trying to follow that and your advice. Happy Easter to you and your family.”

Maurile said:

Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. Your posts are consistently inaccurate. Try to be accurate instead. Happy Easter to you as well.”

:lmao:  x 1000

Good stuff in the Politics forum...for once

John Blutarsky said: 

“Maurice [supposed to be Maurile] said Tanner is a model poster here and I’m trying to follow that and your advice. Happy Easter to you and your family.”

Maurile said:

Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. Your posts are consistently inaccurate. Try to be accurate instead. Happy Easter to you as well.”

:lmao:  x 1000
Think we can all agree that Maurile is rarely inaccurate.

Lol.

Totally imagining Hags going to church and, due to his newfound YouTube D&D fame, getting handed this old chestnut by every parishioner.  "Black Leaf, noooooooo!" :)

(Bonus PSA from your ol' pal 5:  Jack Chick was pretty much  a nozzle of the highest degree who built a career mostly on the fear of children.  If there IS an afterlife, it'd be poetic justice for him to be somewhere choking on a pallet's worth of his tracts that had been papier-mâché'd into the shape of male genitalia.)

Hags is the star of a live streaming D&D thing on the innerwebz (he'll tell you he isn't, but that's a filthy lie.  Don't believe him).

There's a thread on here about it somewheres.
I  believe you, 5, & I accept the quest. 

Once my GoT watch ends - and I catch up in the thread, I'll hunt down this holy grail. 

👍

Jack Chick tracts are fascinating.  I once found one on alcoholism tucked into a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada.  Had to be at least 20 years ago (long enough ago that Sierra Nevada was considered “exotic”)  https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=19
I've got a question...when did you all first see the Chick stuff?

I was really a DND dork from 70s onwards, but I never saw any of his stuff until around 2000 when I 1st really got involved with online forums. 

I went through Catholic school until college as well. We're some denominations more using of his stuff perhaps? 

I was really a DND dork from 70s onwards, but I never saw any of his stuff until around 2000 when I 1st really got involved with online forums. 

I went through Catholic school until college as well. We're some denominations more using of his stuff perhaps? 
I first started seeing the Chick stuff when I was verrrrry young.  Maybe 5?  I know I was reading, but wasn't in grade school yet when I saw the first couple tracts at the church my family attended (not Catholic. More non-denominational/Luthren, I guess).  I was all "Hey! Little comic books!" then read that "This Was Your Life!" gem.  That's the way to scare those 5 year old straight, man.  Show 'em pictures of some dude's soul getting cast into a burning lake.  That'll do it.

Pretty sure Chick was a real hoot at partys. Likely hobbies were not getting laid in college and screaming at kids to get off his lawn.  Oh, and then telling them they'd burn in hell for....oh, you know....sassing, or noticing an attractive person of the opposite sex, or for being a woman (cuz, curse those vile temptresses!), or playing a flipping game with dice that somewhere mentioned the word "demon" in a rule book, etc, etc.  Clearly, I've thought way too much about this dude....but that ish terrified 5 year old me (especially given how some family members were like "Yeah!  That's what'll happen to you Little 5!  Better not look at a butt!")

In a weird turn of events, I almost got to work on a project that was being funded by Chick back in the early Aughts.....until I found out the old #$%@#$ was attached to it (he was in his 80s by then I think).  Immediately told the group who contacted me to cram it with walnuts.

Aaaaanyway, I'll shut up for now.  If you want to continue ranting about Chick (or, ####, D&D...I started playing again about a year ago) you can PM me. :)

Oh, and here's the link for Hags' thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773953-masters-of-the-box-extra-stuffed-season-1-finale/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-21715404

Last edited by a moderator:

They used to hand them out outside of concerts in San Diego.  I remember getting the tiny shoes one after seeing the Scorpions.

I remember a friend of mine brought one home from some church his parents were “trying out”.

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=55&ue=d

This was probably 1980ish

Yesterday

Eta... And I remember it like it was yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
I first started seeing the Chick stuff when I was verrrrry young.  Maybe 5?  I know I was reading, but wasn't in grade school yet when I saw the first couple tracts at the church my family attended (not Catholic. More non-denominational/Luthren, I guess).  I was all "Hey! Little comic books!" then read that "This Was Your Life!" gem.  That's the way to scare those 5 year old straight, man.  Show 'em pictures of some dude's soul getting cast into a burning lake.  That'll do it.

Pretty sure Chick was a real hoot at partys. Likely hobbies were not getting laid in college and screaming at kids to get off his lawn.  Oh, and then telling them they'd burn in hell for....oh, you know....sassing, or noticing an attractive person of the opposite sex, or for being a woman (cuz, curse those vile temptresses!), or playing a flipping game with dice that somewhere mentioned the word "demon" in a rule book, etc, etc.  Clearly, I've thought way too much about this dude....but that ish terrified 5 year old me (especially given how some family members were like "Yeah!  That's what'll happen to you Little 5!  Better not look at a butt!")

In a weird turn of events, I almost got to work on a project that was being funded by Chick back in the early Aughts.....until I found out the old #$%@#$ was attached to it (he was in his 80s by then I think).  Immediately told the group who contacted me to cram it with walnuts.

Aaaaanyway, I'll shut up for now.  If you want to continue ranting about Chick (or, ####, D&D...I started playing again about a year ago) you can PM me. :)

Oh, and here's the link for Hags' thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773953-masters-of-the-box-extra-stuffed-season-1-finale/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-21715404
These things were all over school, the skate rink, etc. for a number of years when I was in school.  I had never heard them pinned to anyone - but when I saw that cartoon, it was instantly recognizable.   The term "born again" wasn't even used nearly as commonly as we hear it now.  

This Was Your Life! - a classic.  

Strongly tempted to pull an all-nighter on my last night in Vegas, but the better play is probably to get four solid hours now, and attack the blackjack table one more time in the morning. I have also worn out a  second vape pen, which also factors into the equation.  :oldunsure:

Strongly tempted to pull an all-nighter on my last night in Vegas, but the better play is probably to get four solid hours now, and attack the blackjack table one more time in the morning. I have also worn out a  second vape pen, which also factors into the equation.  :oldunsure:
Savor every minute because soon it will be over and back to normal life.

I am very drinks and smokes, but I definitely hit a royal flush for four racks. I love you all and good night 
Go - go - kevzilla!

(I am absolutely certain that this is new shtick... 🤔

kevzilla said:
Waiting for the driver to take me back to the airport is gruesome, but the $700 I liberated from the blackjack table this morning is softening the blow a little. 
Golly Dangdo, kev! You kill'n it!

Now, I feel really bad bout that recycled shtick I gave ya last time time. ☹️

Therefo, I'd like ta make it up to ya... 🙂

Go - go - kevzilla! (reprise)

Users who are viewing this thread