What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (11 Viewers)

She ok? Problems with the pusher-man?
Mom’s got maybe 2-3 months.

Ive had 5 biopsies myself since April.  All relating to swollen glands/nodes in head and neck. All have been negative for the big C and I have no other real symptoms.  

Not going to type out every single F-up that has occurred relating to all of my potential stuff.  

July 2 had an ultrasound guided biopsy on a growth on my parotid gland (that’s by your jaw/ear).  And just for kicks there is also a run of the mill cyst in the same area.  Radiologist biopsied growth and cyst (since he was there).  Results were negative but a week later cyst became infected (even more so).  Long story there.  Screw it.

And 3 weeks ago I was driving to Santa Clarita for another biopsy and was in a 4 car pile up on the 99.  Some geezer who was born before Pearl Harbor, caused it.  My car is still on the shop and it’s just for body work.

Yadda yadda...finally got that biopsy done at UCLA Tuesday.  Should know results tomorrow.  Even if everything is benign I’m looking at 2-3 surgeries to remove ####.  

Aaannnnnd today the part of my face/jaw where the latest biopsy was hurts like ####.  Probably another infection.  Just in time for school to start.

Gawddamn right I’m drinking.

Daaaaamn

#### summer sandwich. Sorry, mang, on all fronts.

But at least you have it off.

Eta. Didn't realize the prognosis was that short for your mom. Dammit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daaaaamn

#### summer sandwich. Sorry, mang, on all fronts.

But at least you have it off.

Eta. Didn't realize the prognosis was that short for your mom. Dammit.
Mom’s oncologist wouldn’t give her a timeline until he knew more.  Last week he finally told her “six months from diagnosis”.  She was diagnosed in April.  

But she’s a tough old 8itch.  Always has been.  I wouldn’t even hazard a guess as to when she will pass.  But all of this is killing her figuratively.  She’s the most independent woman I know.  She hates the idea of eventually lingering in hospice care, helpless.  Right now she’s still up and around with a walker.  

Not sure if I related this before but I spent the night at her house a couple of weeks ago.  I stayed up about 4 hours after she went to bed.  Sometime when I was asleep, she woke up and smoked half a spliff.  Then went into the kitchen for ice cream because she had the munchies.

I had no idea until the next morning.  

I like to think that there’s a lot of her in me.  I shouldn’t waste it.

Oh fun little tidbit.

July 2 biopsy was done at a UCLA satellite in Santa Clarita because it is an hour closer.  

That SOB hurt like a mofo.  I’ve never been a wuss when it comes to medical/dental stuff.  I probably couldn’t bench-press all of Krista’s cats these days but I ain’t no baby.  But the radiologist needled the #### out of me.  

At one point the nurse was holding my hand.  Many of you know that I hate strangers touching me but her touch was oddly comforting.  Still hurt like hell. (and became infected)

Fast forward to the two biopsies I had at the real UCLA this week.  This radiologist injected me with Novocain first.   It was about 75% less painful. I asked him afterwards “Uh...is there a reason why the guy in Santa Clarita went in raw-dog (ok, not those exact words)?”

He hemmed and hawed but eventually said “welllll some doctors don’t believe in using...”

When it was all over, the nurse walked me out and said “hey, just between you and I...if you have to go back to Santa Clarita again...ask to see another radiologist”

FML

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll be there over Labor Day weekend. if you want to grab a beer. Friday and Sunday are wide open until a concert Sunday night. @mr. furley and @strykerpks you’re welcome too. Just PM me closer to the end of the month and/or when I’m there. I get in on Friday and leave Tuesday. Or you can just watch me sitting 4 rows behind home plate at the Brewers game on Labor Day.  Your choice  :excited:
in Madison? or Milwaukee?

Sorry to hear about your mom, Tanner.  My parents are 92/93 and still in decent health, but I know that the time is coming sooner than my siblings and I will be ready for. Good to know she has you there for her.

Also, sorry about your face.

Happy International Left-Handers Day! To support our cause, please smudge some ink on the outer edge of your left hand. TIA.

That's sucks...

Bright side?  You have a month and a half to find a new gig.  Good luck.
he's got that, plus 39 weeks severance. but definitely still wishing him the best for a good landing spot.

my own job-front... I am waiting to hear an offer from a place that my former superior has been trying to get me to join for the last year.

not sure its coming (I asked for a 50% bump) and not sure I want it if it comes, but might be a better long term option. the guy I worked under for 5 years at my last gig turned into a friend, and has relayed that my interviews went well and that interviewers both want me, but now a question of the boss-man (starchitect) and HR approving and offering.

I'm not a fan of starting over... and I'm only just pushing through the starting over phase (year and a half later) at my new gig. tbh, it's not been a ball of fun here- but mostly because of the growing pains of getting used to working under somebody new. with 2 big projects 2/3 of the way under my belt, I feel like the next new project will go much easier. and the easy time here is nice and easy. plus, we get payed for hours worked... which makes the evenings past  9 or 10 more palatable. plus, projects are run individually here- which I like. no coordinating internal teams and schedules- I'm responsible for making sure it all works. and the projects are all within my wheelhouse, comfort wise. 

the other place is big, same type of work but arguably the top in the world at it (residential)... so huge projects all over the world for the famous/rich. I've designed for those kind of clients before, but not in a firm this large with a structure like theirs (internal teams). I've also worked for a volatile starchitect type before and that was a really bad match for me. the work is beautiful and would push me in ways this current place can't/ won't... which is good and bad (more low-key here). the other place has great benefits and if they match my offer, pays much better with a lot more room to grow.... from pay/benefit/responsibility standpoint. 

hadn't meant to brain-dump there... tl;dr... overthinking getting a new job. 

take the new job flop.  from a distance, you haven't seemed too thrilled with the current one.
thanks... it's been a rough haul this summer in particular. some dumb luck in terms of timing, but also the aforementioned issues working with/for the boss that should be much improved with the next round of projects if I stay. 

DA RAIDERS said:
take the new job flop.  from a distance, you haven't seemed too thrilled with the current one.
Adding my support for this.  From what little you've shared it has never come across that you've been that in love with the place you are, just "okay" with it.   May as well take a shot on something that could be more than "okay", especially if they'll pay you what you're actually worth.

Adding my support for this.  From what little you've shared it has never come across that you've been that in love with the place you are, just "okay" with it.   May as well take a shot on something that could be more than "okay", especially if they'll pay you what you're actually worth.
Yup. And maybe this is hard to measure, but really it comes down to which job would offer you a better all around quality of life?

El Floppo said:
he's got that, plus 39 weeks severance. but definitely still wishing him the best for a good landing spot.

my own job-front... I am waiting to hear an offer from a place that my former superior has been trying to get me to join for the last year.

not sure its coming (I asked for a 50% bump) and not sure I want it if it comes, but might be a better long term option. the guy I worked under for 5 years at my last gig turned into a friend, and has relayed that my interviews went well and that interviewers both want me, but now a question of the boss-man (starchitect) and HR approving and offering.

I'm not a fan of starting over... and I'm only just pushing through the starting over phase (year and a half later) at my new gig. tbh, it's not been a ball of fun here- but mostly because of the growing pains of getting used to working under somebody new. with 2 big projects 2/3 of the way under my belt, I feel like the next new project will go much easier. and the easy time here is nice and easy. plus, we get payed for hours worked... which makes the evenings past  9 or 10 more palatable. plus, projects are run individually here- which I like. no coordinating internal teams and schedules- I'm responsible for making sure it all works. and the projects are all within my wheelhouse, comfort wise. 

the other place is big, same type of work but arguably the top in the world at it (residential)... so huge projects all over the world for the famous/rich. I've designed for those kind of clients before, but not in a firm this large with a structure like theirs (internal teams). I've also worked for a volatile starchitect type before and that was a really bad match for me. the work is beautiful and would push me in ways this current place can't/ won't... which is good and bad (more low-key here). the other place has great benefits and if they match my offer, pays much better with a lot more room to grow.... from pay/benefit/responsibility standpoint. 

hadn't meant to brain-dump there... tl;dr... overthinking getting a new job. 
Good luck and I hope you get the job.  

To continue the hiking talk....

I'll be seeing Red Rock Canyon and doing a tour of the Grand Canyon in October.

Any general suggestions/tips?

We're not hard-core hikers and we're renting a Slingslot for the 13 mile drive around Red Rock.

Great pictures and it sounds like it was a great trip.  What kind of camera do you use? 
I have a Nikon D5100. I shot mostly with the stock 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and I'd love to go mirrorless to reduce size/weight, but my camera wants outweigh my budget realities for now.

Users who are viewing this thread