What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (22 Viewers)

Fiji?  Not sure if it's a PITA to get there.  Japan is a long flight, including from you, but there may be direct flights from Seattle so it shouldn't be hard to get there. 

How accessible is Europe from Seattle?  

Otherwise I would pick the Caribbean island you haven't been to and want to see. 

Honestly, there's so many places to see, without knowing where you've been or what kind of vacation you want it's hard to make a thoughtful recommendation.  Also, what's your definition of a PITA to get to?  No direct flights?  Time limit?
My PITA definition is loosely that I'd rather not change planes more than once.  I'm not going to stay too long wherever I go, so don't want to spend a ton of time getting there.  

I've been to Japan but not Fiji.  I don't care what kind of vacation.

2 out of 3 ain't bad..

japan?  south korea?  north?  russia?  mexico?
Been to all but Russia.  Hmmm, wonder how quickly I could get to Russia.  

Pretty sure Bermuda has their own Olympic team...thats enough for me to consider it its own country.
Good point!  I'm willing to be a little loose with the rules, since they're all made up anyway.

St Vincent and the Grenadines (iirc including Bequia) are either their own country or a doowop band from Poughkeepsie
I'll check this one out.  Thank you!

My PITA definition is loosely that I'd rather not change planes more than once.  I'm not going to stay too long wherever I go, so don't want to spend a ton of time getting there.  

I've been to Japan but not Fiji.  I don't care what kind of vacation.
Iirc, there used to be direct flights to St Vincent...at least from NYC. Doubtful from West Coast.

Cook Islands?

Iirc, there used to be direct flights to St Vincent...at least from NYC. Doubtful from West Coast.

Cook Islands?
Some of the ones I've been looking at would require a change in JFK.  Not ideal but doable.

I really do appreciate all the ideas; several I hadn't considered!  It's probably not fun to help plan someone else's vacation.  Thanks to you guys.

have you done south east asia?  lots of options there.  long ### flight though.
Yeah, part of my problem is that the places that are a bit easier to get to from here (in terms of number of flights) are places I've been, including literally every country in SE Asia other than East Timor (which I think might be called something else now).  Getting to the Caribbean is not so easy but probably has the most options.

Floppo, where do you fly into to get to St. Vincent?  I can't find it, though I'm limiting myself to Delta and their partner flights so maybe that's the issue.

You're just making places up now!

Struck out with Bonaire, Curacao, St. Vincent, and Cook Islands so far in terms of Delta flights.

ETA:  Flight to Moscow at $9760.   :lmao:   No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 24-year streak of going to at least one new country every year, which is about to be ended if I don't scurry off somewhere for a few days in the next four months.  Just looking for a place that is (1) not a huge PITA to get to from here, (2) somewhere I've never been, and (3) not outrageously dangerous for me to travel to alone.

Any ideas (realizing that you won't know the answers to #2)?  They still killing people in the Dominican Republic? 
k4, have you been to Barcelona, Spain?  Seattle --> Atlanta --> Barcelona.  You'll be exhausted once you get there, but spend a day (reserve ahead) at the Basilica de la Sacre Familia and then a day at Park Guell, and in between/around that eat, and then eat, and then eat.  It was the best trip my wife and I ever went on (she's a total art/architecture lover), and the Basilica is by far the coolest man-made thing I've ever seen with my eyes.

Yeah, part of my problem is that the places that are a bit easier to get to from here (in terms of number of flights) are places I've been, including literally every country in SE Asia other than East Timor (which I think might be called something else now).  Getting to the Caribbean is not so easy but probably has the most options.

Floppo, where do you fly into to get to St. Vincent?  I can't find it, though I'm limiting myself to Delta and their partner flights so maybe that's the issue.

You're just making places up now!
if delta does it, it would be through atl.  flights are still wonky, at least to the usvi, since the hurricanes.  it's easier to do an over night layover on the east coast, and then fly down.  not positive that the same problems exist for other carribbevn destinations

There's probably good hiking in Fiji, plus some amazing water and beaches.  Grand Cayman is probably my top Caribbean wish list destination.  If you can go to Europe, Lisbon and Portugal in general are towards the top of my list.  If you're only staying for a week or less, you can just explore Lisbon and make some day trips outside if you don't want to spend a lot of time traveling around. 

k4, have you been to Barcelona, Spain?  Seattle --> Atlanta --> Barcelona.  You'll be exhausted once you get there, but spend a day (reserve ahead) at the Basilica de la Sacre Familia and then a day at Park Guell, and in between/around that eat, and then eat, and then eat.  It was the best trip my wife and I ever went on (she's a total art/architecture lover), and the Basilica is by far the coolest man-made thing I've ever seen with my eyes.
Barcelona is part of the reason I'm in this situation!  At the time I usually would have been on a trip to somewhere I hadn't been before, instead in May I took my mom and stepfather to Barcelona and Paris, because they'd never been there.  I agree with you about it - one of my top three places, I think!

if delta does it, it would be through atl.  flights are still wonky, at least to the usvi, since the hurricanes.  it's easier to do an over night layover on the east coast, and then fly down.  not positive that the same problems exist for other carribbevn destinations
Yeah, maybe going to NY and spending the night would help.  Could see some friends, not cornhole with Floppo and RC since it never happens, etc.

wanna go ski in chile?
Yes to Chile (and I haven't been there before), no to skiing!   :)  

There's probably good hiking in Fiji, plus some amazing water and beaches.  Grand Cayman is probably my top Caribbean wish list destination.  If you can go to Europe, Lisbon and Portugal in general are towards the top of my list.  If you're only staying for a week or less, you can just explore Lisbon and make some day trips outside if you don't want to spend a lot of time traveling around. 
I've been to Grand Cayman and to Portugal.  I need to check out how to get to Fiji.

The European destinations talk made me realize I haven't been to Scotland.  Anybody recommend that?  Also not Greece or Croatia, but Mr. krista would die if I went to those without him.

Iceland? Norway? Denmark? Finland? Sweden?

ETA -- Going to Scotland in less than a month. I'll report back.

I've been to Grand Cayman and to Portugal.  I need to check out how to get to Fiji.

The European destinations talk made me realize I haven't been to Scotland.  Anybody recommend that?  Also not Greece or Croatia, but Mr. krista would die if I went to those without him.
I have heard good things about Scotland.  I haven't been there, though.  A friend of mine grew up there and I can find out some recommendations from him if you want.

I didn't think you were willing to go as far as Greece, but if you haven't been there, then that sounds like a great trip.  I want to see Athens very badly.  Along with Lisbon, Prague, Venice and Fresno for my top 5 places to see.

Barcelona is part of the reason I'm in this situation!  At the time I usually would have been on a trip to somewhere I hadn't been before, instead in May I took my mom and stepfather to Barcelona and Paris, because they'd never been there.  I agree with you about it - one of my top three places, I think!
My other greatest trip ever (and of course, as is patently obvious to everyone here, I'm a religious fella) was Israel.  If you like history at all (plus gyros and falafel) it's an amazing trip.

Iceland? Norway? Denmark? Finland? Sweden?
I've been to Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden.  Have a tentative plan to go to Norway next year so maybe shouldn't use that one now.  Finland is a very intriguing idea!

I have heard good things about Scotland.  I haven't been there, though.  A friend of mine grew up there and I can find out some recommendations from him if you want.

I didn't think you were willing to go as far as Greece, but if you haven't been there, then that sounds like a great trip.  I want to see Athens very badly.  Along with Lisbon, Prague, Venice and Fresno for my top 5 places to see.
I want to do an islands tour in Greece as well as Athens.  Need to spend more time than I'm willing to give right now.

You're gonna love Fresno.

My other greatest trip ever (and of course, as is patently obvious to everyone here, I'm a religious fella) was Israel.  If you like history at all (plus gyros and falafel) it's an amazing trip.
Way, way high on my to-do list, but I want to do that one when I spend a lot of time and can go to Lebanon and/or Jordan, too.

Maybe I should consider making this a longer trip.  Hmmmm.  Mr. krista has expressed no interest in Israel and I'm dying to go.

Way, way high on my to-do list, but I want to do that one when I spend a lot of time and can go to Lebanon and/or Jordan, too.

Maybe I should consider making this a longer trip.  Hmmmm.  Mr. krista has expressed no interest in Israel and I'm dying to go.
:eek:   Oliver monkee shocks me.  You don't have to do the religious stuff.  The history/food/wonders are well worth it.  Jordan brings Petra into the mix.  Also can do Sinai peninsula/Cairo.  I mean, c'mon.

:eek:   Oliver monkee shocks me.  You don't have to do the religious stuff.  The history/food/wonders are well worth it.  Jordan brings Petra into the mix.  Also can do Sinai peninsula/Cairo.  I mean, c'mon.
Right?  I don't get it.  Our vacations mostly center around food (hence all the SE Asia trips), and the food there would be amazing.  I've never asked him why he's not into it.

Right?  I don't get it.  Our vacations mostly center around food (hence all the SE Asia trips), and the food there would be amazing.  I've never asked him why he's not into it.
Honestly, I got tired of fish and yogurt for breakfast, but that was a group tour/vacay deal.  But when I was in charge of my lunches/dinners, I've never had better seafood/Mediterranean food.

Also how many religious dudes can say they've been baptized in both the Nile (Uganda) and Jordan rivers?  I always use that for networking "something most people don't know about me" mixer.  Even people who could care less about religion usually think that's pretty cool.

Honestly, I got tired of fish and yogurt for breakfast, but that was a group tour/vacay deal.  But when I was in charge of my lunches/dinners, I've never had better seafood/Mediterranean food.

Also how many religious dudes can say they've been baptized in both the Nile (Uganda) and Jordan rivers?  I always use that for networking "something most people don't know about me" mixer.  Even people who could care less about religion usually think that's pretty cool.
That's super-cool, and I'm not religious at all.

Don't know how easy it is to get to, but everyone I know that has been to New Zealand has raved about it.
I've been there.  Haven't been to Australia, though.

my brother recently visited Rwanda for work and said, recent history aside, that it's absolutely stunningly beautiful.
Wow, that's surprising but nice to hear.  Ethiopia is one of my top places on my to-do list, but it's so hard to get to.  I'd expect Rwanda would be, too.

How about listing 3 places and letting the FFA decide where to go?
:lmao:   I actually like this a lot.  But how to get it down to those three...

In addition to stuff you guys named, I'm looking at Ecuador and China, because unless you count Hong Kong, I haven't been there either.  But ####, maybe you have to count Hong Kong and going to Beijing wouldn't count.  I don't want to risk breaking the rules.

Finland looks prohibitively expensive at the moment, which is a shame because I was sold on that.  I still can't get Delta to allow me to go to a bunch of the Caribbean stuff named.

Scotland's fantastic...and hiking too. 

You need more time to do Greece right.

I have to rethink this.  I described it poorly.  It’s not a vacation.  It’s business; getting in and out in a few days just to keep the streak alive.  Lots of great ideas for legitimate places, but I don’t care what’s there or what I do.  That’s reserved for real vacation.

Damn, though, I need to add Finland to my real vacation list.

he's got that, plus 39 weeks severance. but definitely still wishing him the best for a good landing spot.

my own job-front... I am waiting to hear an offer from a place that my former superior has been trying to get me to join for the last year.

not sure its coming (I asked for a 50% bump) and not sure I want it if it comes, but might be a better long term option. the guy I worked under for 5 years at my last gig turned into a friend, and has relayed that my interviews went well and that interviewers both want me, but now a question of the boss-man (starchitect) and HR approving and offering.

I'm not a fan of starting over... and I'm only just pushing through the starting over phase (year and a half later) at my new gig. tbh, it's not been a ball of fun here- but mostly because of the growing pains of getting used to working under somebody new. with 2 big projects 2/3 of the way under my belt, I feel like the next new project will go much easier. and the easy time here is nice and easy. plus, we get payed for hours worked... which makes the evenings past  9 or 10 more palatable. plus, projects are run individually here- which I like. no coordinating internal teams and schedules- I'm responsible for making sure it all works. and the projects are all within my wheelhouse, comfort wise. 

the other place is big, same type of work but arguably the top in the world at it (residential)... so huge projects all over the world for the famous/rich. I've designed for those kind of clients before, but not in a firm this large with a structure like theirs (internal teams). I've also worked for a volatile starchitect type before and that was a really bad match for me. the work is beautiful and would push me in ways this current place can't/ won't... which is good and bad (more low-key here). the other place has great benefits and if they match my offer, pays much better with a lot more room to grow.... from pay/benefit/responsibility standpoint. 

hadn't meant to brain-dump there... tl;dr... overthinking getting a new job. 
Offer received. Need to hear about benefits specifics.

Two main considerations for me.

Uno... I'm an independent contractor now, no benefits but no taxes taken out- maximizes my take home but has us on Obama care. I have to do the math with the offer- going back to a W-2 might mean less take home which would be brutal.

Duo... A bit more stress at the new place, in terms of starting new, crazy boss, much bigger projects.

Three... They have a soccer team!

I just this second sent the email and accepted the offer.

offer was what I had asked for as a throw #### at the wall from a position of employment and power... and I couldn't really refuse it. 50% more than I'm making now (albeit, will be as an employee, not an independent contractor, so my take-home should be about identical) with full health coverage for the family- decent, not tip-top- but full, which means I say bye to obama-care (which has been a god-send, tbh).

and while writing this... I've already checked out mentally at my current job... have to finish strong here to help get these projects over the hump. 

I haven't left a job of my own volition in a long time- it's been through layoffs my last three. feels... strange. with a recession being implied by the press on the horizon, I think/hope this new place will be more immune due to tons of giant and international projects. I've heard one too many times from my current boss that I'm the highest paid employee there to make me feel confident about them keeping me around if the economy and housing goes south.

thanks to gb @Nick Vermeil for lunch at his name-sake's and some good advice yesterday... even if some of it was cautionary about the new place. new boss is a bit of a...character. like, a character from the village people.

Users who are viewing this thread