What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (9 Viewers)

HE SAID HE HAD A FUN INTERACTION WITH ALASKA AIRLINES YESTERDAY WHEN I LEARNED THAT ALTHOUGH I PAID EXTRA FOR A SEAT THAT COULD BE UPGRADED TO FIRST CLASS, I COULD NOT UPGRADE AND DIDN’T ACTUALLY HAVE A SEAT ON THE PLANE.  AFTER SPENDING NEARLY AN HOUR DEALING WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE, I LEARNED THE ONLY WAY I COULD GUARANTEE A SEAT ON THE FLIGHT HOME WAS TO BUY A FIRST CLASS TICKET, BUT COULD NOT UPGRADE MY UPGRADEABLE TICKET TO FIRST CLASS.  AFTER REPEATING THIS SEVERAL TIMES TO THE PERSON HELPING ME ON THE PHONE, SHE FINALLY CONCEDED THAT MADE NO SENSE AT ALL AND UPGRADED ME TO FIRST CLASS.  JUST GOT BACK, ALTHOUGH AT A BAR AND HAVEN’T MADE IT HOME YET.
What?

Had a fun interaction with Alaska airlines yesterday when I learned that although I paid extra for a seat that could be upgraded to first class, I could not upgrade and didn’t actually have a seat on the plane.  After spending nearly an hour dealing with customer service, I learned the only way I could guarantee a seat on the flight home was to buy a first class ticket, but could not upgrade my upgradeable ticket to first class.  After repeating this several times to the person helping me on the phone, she finally conceded that made no sense at all and upgraded me to first class.  Just got back, although at a bar and haven’t made it home yet.
Airlines.

Wife made plans for our family Feb trip recently...told me that now you have to pay to actually select seats in advance. Wtf. And apparently there's still an issue selecting seats for our kids, which means she has to call somebody for an hour to deal with that too. Same kind of deal to explain what should be painfully obvious- were a family and the kids need to sit with us, not randomly located next to strangers. I'm sure they'll be charging by the minute for those phone calls next.

my BIL lives in some backwater town in Kentucky. 

he comes here for christmas because that's where his mom and sister live. and his other brother comes home for it, too. this year he decided that instead of coming home, his mom should come to him. 

she's too old to drive that far on her own. we weren't going there with her. so he bought her a plane ticket.

she hasn't flown on a plane (by her best estimate) in about 40 years.

leaving from here but connecting flight in Chicago. she's mid 70s. on her own. in O'Hare for her first flight in 40 years. she wasn't aware that she could not smoke on the plane. or carry on gift wrapped presents. or that she couldn't do things like bring a 6-pack of Pepsi with her to drink on the flight  :mellow:

for a solid 2 months i've listened to my wife yell at her about this trip. today was the day she got on the plane. her first flight was delayed 90 minutes due to fog. no big deal, just shortened her wait for the connecting flight.  which she proceeded to miss :mellow:  next available flight was 3 1/2 hours later.  she missed that one as well because the gate changed and she didn't understand what that meant.

we may never see her again and i'm not sure her kids will care
Nice story, MF. 

But, it needs more KY. 

Loading up on 49ers.  May just drain the account on this one.

cat has no lean

Last edited by a moderator:
 I'm generally the "happy for my friends' successes" type... I'll lead with that

. I'm on the train out to the hamptons where I'm working on a small, stupid and rushed renovation for one of my boss's richierich clients (they're going to year the house down in the next few years and rebuild). 

With some time, I checked my email where I have a linkedin request from an old friend from grad school- great. I've essentially given up on all social media for the last couple years, but I happily accept...haven't heard from her or her hubby who were part of my pal group in GS.

When I open LinkedIn, up pops an article from another archifriend about house he and his partners firm did in the Hamptons...awesome...always excited to see my peers doing well, and these guys do really nice work. Open the link to the article- it's the partners weekend house for himself in the Hamptons. And not some little shack done on the cheap...almsot 6k SF of beautiful/expensive materials on 2 acres bedecked with high end furniture. And of course it's beautifully designed.

All of a sudden- while happy and proud of my friend for crafting such a great hiuse- I'm feeling gut punched from seeing my peers in my broke ### industry doing that well. This isn't making 2-300k well (which is fantastic and almost unheard of for architects)...this is a house in the 10mil range. Maybe he or wife had a lot of money besides the work...that's usually the case for this kind of thing...or maybe it's the work. Either way...feeling bummed about my own crap broke situation and direction I've taken my career. While stuck on a train to the hamptons to toil on a house for clients who use it sparingly and who are currently in st barths on david geffins yacht...just so I can try to literally keep a tiny rental apartment roof over my kids heads and try to dig out of what feels like ever increasing debt.

Happy Monday!

. I'm on the train out to the hamptons where I'm working on a small, stupid and rushed renovation for one of my boss's richierich clients (they're going to year the house down in the next few years and rebuild). 

With some time, I checked my email where I have a linkedin request from an old friend from grad school- great. I've essentially given up on all social media for the last couple years, but I happily accept...haven't heard from her or her hubby who were part of my pal group in GS.

When I open LinkedIn, up pops an article from another archifriend about house he and his partners firm did in the Hamptons...awesome...always excited to see my peers doing well, and these guys do really nice work. Open the link to the article- it's the partners weekend house for himself in the Hamptons. And not some little shack done on the cheap...almsot 6k SF of beautiful/expensive materials on 2 acres bedecked with high end furniture. And of course it's beautifully designed.

All of a sudden- while happy and proud of my friend for crafting such a great hiuse- I'm feeling gut punched from seeing my peers in my broke ### industry doing that well. This isn't making 2-300k well (which is fantastic and almost unheard of for architects)...this is a house in the 10mil range. Maybe he or wife had a lot of money besides the work...that's usually the case for this kind of thing...or maybe it's the work. Either way...feeling bummed about my own crap broke situation and direction I've taken my career. While stuck on a train to the hamptons to toil on a house for clients who use it sparingly and who are currently in st barths on david geffins yacht...just so I can try to literally keep a tiny rental apartment roof over my kids heads and try to dig out of what feels like ever increasing debt.

Happy Monday!
My link

Happy Monday!
not saying this lightly.. have you considered moving?

must be tough to hustle hard and feel like you're just scraping by largely because you live in one of the most expensive cities on the planet.

guessing but i bet you could take a decent paycut, move somewhere less expensive and be in a much better place mentally. bigger house, less pressure, more open space to relax and breathe.  

what i'm saying is you can live with me  :mellow:

After 22 blissful years I finally screwed up.

Was dropping my ### all night, and as per usual blamed the dogs. 

Momentary lapse of reason, dropped a room clearing silent fart that could be easily blamed on the dogs. A fart that would clear any room in all of stink ### Boston.  Waited a few seconds,  and at the perfect time, blamed the dogs. 

My wife just looked at me and said she let the dogs out awhile ago. 

Damn. 

Friends host New Years every year at their house.  Today around 3 they asked me if I could because she is sick.  So I had to clean the house and go shopping in anticipation of 20 people coming over tonight.  But at least I’m not driving anywhere or trying to find an Uber at 1 am.

Local cop stationed himself outside of my house last night and followed everyone home as they left to make sure they got there safe.  Pretty cool of him.
This sounds very un-local-cop-like, especially on NYE, one of the notorious amateur nights of the year.

my BIL bought both my kids Amazon Echo's for Christmas

shots have been fired. how do i get him back? he has no kids so pretty much all options are on the table.

Anyone hear watch Year of the Rabbit with Matt Berry? Pretty funny stuff.

RIP Bills

/real estate chat

I finally got the appraisal back for the house I want to buy. Came in $120,000 short. Bank unamused. Furious negotiations and contested appraisal underway. We are 11 days from closing.  Whoopee.

Going to look at backups tomorrow and hope to make a couple offers.

I'm going to tell (original seller) to give me a $90,000 discount or I walk, since I hope to have two accepted offers in my pocket.

The seller was shady,/greedy/stupid and I may be able to cash in on it. With a $10,000 staircase or hopefully a trap door, I can get an extra 700 sf to the appraisal and big, instant equity. But getting any seller to come down 20% when they have multiple offers will be a tough task.

Of course they now know any appraisal is going to be in that low range without mods.  Doing the mods, finding another buyer and closing will probably add at least 60 days. I bet that like many of us, a lot of that incoming cash has already been spent or committed and waiting 60 days likely not an option.

Why is the seller shady? She advertised as a 2/2 with a studio apartment. That was after the HOA had already denied her request to use the studio as an apartment rental. Not only that, we talked to the HOA three times about rentals and that house. They never told us about their denial of using the studio as an apartment.

Buyer beware yada yada

I'm awfully sad for our Bills.
It was heartbreaking, but at least Houston has a bunch of guys that I don’t mind rooting for and their fans seem pretty decent. Just brutal to have their first playoff win in 24 years that close and blow it.

At least the Pats lost. Sorry/not sorry Pats fans.

Great old-school country band at the bar tonight. Place is packed, drunk girls are dancing with each other, it's a great time. Except the weird emmer effer always winds up next to me. This guy has a freezer with human heads inside, I just know it. 

Users who are viewing this thread