What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (20 Viewers)

The thermostat in my living room just broke, which means no heat (or AC) in the living room, so I have that going for me which is nice.  I'm glad the temp is fairly mild, but it still gets a little chilly sometimes.
I'm not a great DIY guy. But I have replaced several thermostats. It's pretty easy, just reconnect the color coded wires.

The contractor on my Hamptons job site called yesterday.

I'm really tempted to not call him back because #### my firm. 

But he's a nice guy, and my projects have always felt like my babies to a degree- I want them to succeed and do well, even after I've left (I genuinely hated leaving my last firm with two projects unfinished...checked in on both with the contractors).

I'll call him. But #### my firm.

And yes, RC- strawberry seed count is a well understood fact. At least for insomniacs...whose ranks I appear to be joining these days. 
If it were me, I’d only return the call to let him know that I was let go and no longer working for the company. Any other info you give him about the project you’re taking a lot of liability on yourself since you no longer are speaking as an employee of the company. If something goes wrong, suddenly you’re getting doubly screwed.

That’s my thought anyway.

Luckily I think it missed the house.

Tbh I wouldn't even be that upset if the fence and deck weren't both 2-3 years old....

Deck I think is minimal just a few railings I hope.   Fence couple poles and the slats.

I could probably do it myself if I really wanted...

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I’d only return the call to let him know that I was let go and no longer working for the company. Any other info you give him about the project you’re taking a lot of liability on yourself since you no longer are speaking as an employee of the company. If something goes wrong, suddenly you’re getting doubly screwed.

That’s my thought anyway.
Excellent point, especially about liability.

He called and texted today, so I called him back and let him know about my situation. And answered his small questions -mostly deferring to the drawings and specs I'd previously provided. 

He offered to give me a reference for future work...very nice.  

Welp taking a 20% paycut for at least 3 months.   :banned: its actually a deferral so I get paid back sometime Q1 next year.  

Could be worse 
I'm finishing up my one week furlough. Praying this will be it. 

Still pretty nervous

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: SWC
Furloughs, lay off, pay cuts happening all across my company. I've dodged the bulls eye so far but a friend /coworker of 35 years got furloughed for 60 days yesterday. My entire estimating department got nuked. And our branch is actually busy, unlike many of the others. 

I hope it's resolved as quickly and as painlessly as possible for all GMTANners. 

Extra benefit to Zoom happy hours — when some of your friends decide to dredge up some old beef and start an iFight, it’s much easier to eject and find something better to do. (Or keep watching the train wreck and not have to worry about breaking up an actual fight I guess, but it was damaging my firepit/cigar/beer mellow so I pulled the plug).

Hey gang, sorry for being a horrible iFriend.   Let's be honest, I love you guys and think about you all the time.

Let me get the bad news out of the way first.  My Mother has lung cancer. It's malignant. She just turned 69 and hasn't had a cig in almost 40 years.  Dad doesn't smoke either except when I'm a horrible influence on him and we're getting drunk together.  SWEAR TO GOD, SAVE IT, everything will be okay one way or another. I admit that I'm scared to death that if she were to pass Dad would be right behind her.  They love each other so much.  Scared but that gives me comfort too.  I wish we could all love each other as much as those two love each other.
Mom had surgery Monday morning.  I was over there Saturday chatting with them and getting grunk with Dad.  Mom isn't  much of a drinker any more, plus cancer. I almost spent the night but we live close enough to each other, 1.8 miles driveway-to-driveway.  Anyhow, went over there Sunday to give them both a pep talk.  Stuff like this, I don't sugar coat.  I told them it would be hard BUT everything will be fine.  Yadda, yadda, yadda, things will be fine.  Give me a hug. and was out of there.  I get home to see a text from Dad stating Mom is crying her eyes out she's so scared. That hurt. I replied everything will be fine. 

Thankfully, it was fine.  The surgeon came highly recommended and my intel says he did a great job.  Guessing she's need to heal up and then get a PET scan to hopefully verify the cancer didn't spread.  One of 5 heavy weights has been taken off my shoulder, for now, and damn it feels good.

Thanks to all of you for the positive thoughts and prayers.  It means a lot to me. Like as much as a threesome.

Good news is Dylan turned 13 today.  Kid is doing well as always.  He's like Cool Hand, things just seem easy for him.  He started playing basketball last year and killing it. He's almost 6' already. It's like an adult playing with children.  Needless to say, really fun to watch. He's also ripping the cover off the baseball.  He was somewhat close at the end of last season but I think he may actually hit a few over the fence this year and they're college type fields.  Most importantly he's still excelling at school.  Puberty is a kick in the ### and there seems to be an endless stream of girls at the door looking for him but he has gotten almost all A's and a few B's since 1Q.  They placed him in all honors classes so he wasn't used to being challenged that much.

The great news is Cal is doing wonderful. No calls from school, no crazy outbursts.  His second consecutive quarter of straight A's.  He somehow managed to get a B in computers in 1Q which is mind boggling or else he would have a clean sweep. He has friends.  Damn it anyway that makes me happier than anything. A friend of his stopped by today out of the blue to give him a Popeye's chicken sandwich.  About a dozen times now he has been gone all day and into the night. He's responsible though, unlike his old man, and  doesn't drink or smoke.  He's happy....what more could I ask for?  Other than of course him playing football!!  He's closing in on 6'2 and will be 16 in May.   He has lost a lot of weight too. Walks almost every day and doesn't snack all the time.
Now these two.  They're about to lose their minds and I of course can't blame them.  This morning Cal was talking really disrespectful to his Mother.  I don't think he realized he was about to get hit.  I normally don't get in the middle of such spat but the language coming out of his mouth.  You don't talk to hookers that way much less your Mom.  Especially with a Mom who will throw down.  I walked in the room and said "is there a problem I need to take care of here". Cal replied, "you want a piece of me?!"  I stared. Pep smacked his hand, put her finger in his face and said "you better watch it".  He got the message. I might be riddled with arthritis but for now I can still answer the call.

Dylan actually took my advice from some 6 months back and started lifting weights.  I told him "no man has every thought, I wish I were weaker".  He has some solid arms on him which explains these bb's he's throwing when playing catch.  I worry more about him.  He's very strong and an athlete, so good shape.  He was freaking out tonight about some video came he was playing.  I'm talking screamed MFer THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!  EVERY F-ING TIME!!!"  Except he said the whole words.  That got the house's attention.  The dog ran to bed to get me. Something was wrong with his big brother, and they are tight.  Kept grabbing my arm.  So  I got up and Pep is yelling at him and DYlan is replying "make me"  (that's my boy :wub: ) but come on son. I think the myriad of drugs I was, am, on helped this situation. Told Pep that I'm surely at fault for yelling too much lately but we have to change that. Hugs not grugs I believe was my model.  So she was settled down. I asked Dylan to come downstairs so I can give him a hug.  He's well aware of how bad my knees and feet hurt.  He refused so traversed the staircase and he met me at the top.  Just a nice long hug while telling him everything was going to be okay which of course is lie.  He asked how I knew that, nobody knows that. I just kept repeating everything is going to be okay.  After that he laid in bed with me and we watched about 5 hours of American Dad and laughed our ### off.

All said, pretty good day. Love you jerks.

Hi.
I am back from the virtual gulag. I have been a frequent visitor lately, due to my penchant for telling the truth. Or maybe because I still visit the Political Forum and tell the truth there. But, I digress.

Got some genuine good news. I received and accepted an offer from a large internet retailer named after a river/jungle over the past week. My start date is a week from Monday. The job sounds well-suited to my skill set and relatively interesting. One of the advantages to this employer is that if I do the job for a while and find another internal role I am more interested in, moving internally isn't discouraged at all.

This brings a long and frustrating chapter of my life to a close. Hopefully for good.

Hi.
I am back from the virtual gulag. I have been a frequent visitor lately, due to my penchant for telling the truth. Or maybe because I still visit the Political Forum and tell the truth there. But, I digress.

Got some genuine good news. I received and accepted an offer from a large internet retailer named after a river/jungle over the past week. My start date is a week from Monday. The job sounds well-suited to my skill set and relatively interesting. One of the advantages to this employer is that if I do the job for a while and find another internal role I am more interested in, moving internally isn't discouraged at all.

This brings a long and frustrating chapter of my life to a close. Hopefully for good.
Resume sent

Hi.

BEST NEWS IN EVER.  Congrats, GB!!!  They're lucky to have you.

Hi.

So can you ship me some hand sanitizer and toilet paper?

Put this in the coronavirus thread, but they're still arguing about whether it's a hoax.   Now that a ton of people have started to do instacart, delivery, curbside pickup, etc. guys like me who were trying to be shut-ins before all this happened are looking at waits of 5 days to get our groceries delivered.   If your area has it, try "Dumpling."  They assign you a personal delivery person/shopper who will go anywhere and pick anything up.   Groceries, take out, weed, whatever.   No wait.   I got groceries in about 2 hours today.

-fish- said:
So can you ship me some hand sanitizer and toilet paper?
:hot:   I feel like I've had this request 24/7 for 5 weeks now.  Makes me stabby.  I DON'T HAVE A GIANT CACHE OF THESE THINGS IN MY BASEMENT PEOPLE!!!! ;)

BTW I was told in the first week of March we were supposed to get hand sanitizer mid-June.  Now it's sometime in August. :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread