What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (19 Viewers)

Halfway through making dinner tonight I realized that I was making spaghetti on Cinco de Mayo that happens to fall on Taco Tuesday. So good work there by me.
Well as the much-seen internet meme made clear today, somehow the joy of Cinco de Mayo falling on Taco Tuesday was ruined by a virus named after Mexican beer. :cry:  

El Floppo said:
Heading back up to NYC today to pick up mail, check on the apt, and get sushi for 8yo floppinha.

I'll give a wave when I get to the tunnel.
He didn't wave back :(  (ETA... Can't tell you how giddy I got popping out of the Holland and seeing canal Street. One of my least favorite areas, and still excited to see home)

The city seems busier with more foot and road traffic than when we left. And the three places we usually get our Sushi appear to be closed. None of the places I recognize from the hood even showed up on Seamless- most of the spots available for delivery were in Queens. Had to roll the dice on a new spot for floppinha.

Otherwise, yep...city's still there.

not sure when we're coming back. No beaches (as deblasio has said) or pools and no income for whatever form camps will take would make this pretty rough going.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't wave back :(  (ETA... Can't tell you how giddy I got popping out of the Holland and seeing canal Street. One of my least favorite areas, and still excited to see home)

The city seems busier with more foot and road traffic than when we left. And the three places we usually get our Sushi appear to be closed. None of the places I recognize from the hood even showed up on Seamless- most of the spots available for delivery were in Queens. Had to roll the dice on a new spot for floppinha.

Otherwise, yep...city's still there.

not sure when we're coming back. No beaches (as deblasio has said) or pools and no income for whatever form camps will take would make this pretty rough going.
Sorry, I meant to wave back but I didn't see you.

It's good to hear that things are still going on in the city a little bit.  Same in Hoboken.  At least 75% of everything is closed, but there's still a few places open.  A Cuban restaurant near me just re-opened today so I was happy about that.  Got lunch from them today.  First time in 2 months I got food from them.  I haven't had sushi for at least that long too.

Has she tried the game?  
 Not yet. I got LEGO World on sale a couple of weeks ago and Farming Simulator 19 is free as of yesterday for PS+ so I may have difficulty convincing her to play anything else new for a bit. Definitely in my queue to suggest for her to check out though

We should probably just accept that RC bought a crappy voodoo doll off Craigslist. Everybody knows the good stuff is on Etsy now.

We should probably just accept that RC bought a crappy voodoo doll off Craigslist. Everybody knows the good stuff is on Etsy now.
Eh, Etsy is swamped with cheap Chinese fakes now too unfortunately. Etsy has had a hard time figuring out what is legit and what is mass produced. Chinese companies rip off legit stuff and put up what looks like the same thing at a fraction of the cost of homemade and then produce crappy knockoffs if they get any orders.

For those of you who have been homeschooling because of COVID-19, how has it been going?  You catch any of them trying to cut school?

For those of you who have been homeschooling because of COVID-19, how has it been going?  You catch any of them trying to cut school?
my 9 year old loves it. she gets a video from a couple teachers each day + morning announcements, but they have very little in the way of homework.  it's largely reading, a little math, very little writing.

my 11 year old HATES IT and has been counting down the days until the school year is over.  all of her homework is presented like a college syllabus through something called PowerSchool. she's supposed to check that every day and keep pace with the homework... but without instruction from teachers.  so they are essentially being asked to teach themselves the material, but not given any resources beyond "here's the assignment".  so she's trying to work the angles, tell us she's working on projects, keeping up with homework, etc.  only for us to find out that her grades haven't been posted... because assignments aren't done....  OR, worse because we hound her about missing work....... teachers haven't posted the grades for a week or more and we assume the kid is behind/not doing the work.

she feels like she can't win in that even if she does the work, teachers aren't always holding up their end of the bargain and she gets barked at by us & winds up doing work twice in some instances.

we've dipped in to Khan Academy to help her with algebra since they were just starting in on that when school closed, but the lessons keep advancing and she's expected to do the work.  very frustrating for her and.. while a tough spot for teachers... i feel like it's asking a lot for kids to teach themselves algebra without access to a specialized resource (the teacher, tutor, etc.) or books. :shrug:  

My kids are all in elementary and have like an hour of schoolwork a day

i usually make them start at like 10:30 or 11, do an assignment, eat lunch, do another assignment and be done 

my 9 year old loves it. she gets a video from a couple teachers each day + morning announcements, but they have very little in the way of homework.  it's largely reading, a little math, very little writing.

my 11 year old HATES IT and has been counting down the days until the school year is over.  all of her homework is presented like a college syllabus through something called PowerSchool. she's supposed to check that every day and keep pace with the homework... but without instruction from teachers.  so they are essentially being asked to teach themselves the material, but not given any resources beyond "here's the assignment".

we've dipped in to Khan Academy to help her with algebra since they were just starting in on that when school closed, but the lessons keep advancing and she's expected to do the work.  very frustrating for her and.. while a tough spot for teachers... i feel like it's asking a lot for kids to teach themselves algebra without access to a specialized resource (the teacher, tutor, etc.) or books. :shrug:  
If I were your 11 year old, I would hate it too.  That's such a lazy way to teach 11 year olds.  If it was college I would expect more independent learning, but to "teach" an 11 year old like that makes no sense to me.

If I were your 11 year old, I would hate it too.  That's such a lazy way to teach 11 year olds.  If it was college I would expect more independent learning, but to "teach" an 11 year old like that makes no sense to me.
it can be rough. we can't even use the "yeah, you think you had it rough...." bs with her because neither of us parents ever dealt with something like this at 11 years old.

hell, i struggled with it in college. 

to paraphrase what she said to me "if only essential businesses are open, and school is closed doesn't that mean we shouldn't have to do school work?"  and sometimes i think "you're right".  

not sure what kids are really doing, or getting out of it.  guess we'll find out long-term the impacts.

we are slowing getting the hang of it.  a solid routine, is key.  13 year old.  just about zero instruction from teachers.  it's been hell on earth.  good times.

read an article this morning that something like 60-65% of school districts in the state have petitioned to just end the instructional year. forget going out until June. just call it. too many logistical issues i'd guess particularly for the rural or smaller districts.

read an article this morning that something like 60-65% of school districts in the state have petitioned to just end the instructional year. forget going out until June. just call it. too many logistical issues i'd guess particularly for the rural or smaller districts.
Summerfest this year in the fall should count as school days, amirite?

My right ear started ringing last night, and today there's pressure, but no pain. However, my balance seems a little wonky too.

So, inoperable brain tumor or The Rona?

and NYC public schools have in the teacher's union that they're not required to actually teach remotely.

3rd grade floppinha goes to a big elementary school (900+ kids), has a morning meeting via zoom/google-hangouts where the work assignments for the day are discussed. she does some work- couple hours max- and that's that. no comment, no teaching, no nothing. 

7th grade floppinho is in a crazy music intensive school (public, k-12) that's small- only 12 kids in his entire grade. his teachers are all actively teaching. 

our illustrious mayor and new schools' chancellor have had a political agenda for the last couple years to do away with selective screening for schools. applications for middle and high school is highly competitive, and creates a big hierarchy of schools.... which is great for top students, but has created a clearly racial/racist divide with increasingly less and less black and hispanic kids attending those top schools- for whatever reasons (sometimes it's about convenience more than ability- not wanting to travel 30mins-1hr to and from school and preferring to stay close).

covid has eliminated attendance and state test scores- two of the main criteria for admittance into these selective schools. now the mayor and chancellor have seemingly eliminated all grades of the entire year- the other obvious main criteria for admittance. they say grades already in the books will remain from the fall and winter... but school transcripts show one final grade which is used for applications. they've said this grade will be pass/fail essentially. a back-door for them to push their political agenda and still give lipservice to keeping grades "already in the books"... even though schools don't historically look at report cards- only the final transcript.

this has caused an uproar in uppity white folks houses all across our great city- including our own (yes.. shocker... we're partially white). high achieving 4th and 7th grade kids have been pushing themselves (or getting pushed) to do well this year for their middle and high school applications. now, their top grades are meaningless and identical  to other kids just barely passing.

i've just witnessed something amazing

walked out the door to get mail, look up across the street to the park because there's a car parked facing the wrong way directly across from the house.  woman in the front seat, car idling. she opens the door, weiner dog hops out and proceeds to do what dogs do.. he meanders... sniffs... picks out his spot and does his business.   

lots of dogs walk in that park. it's got to be a veritable Times Square for dogs. good boy is out there checking messages, apparently too long for the owners liking so she blows the freaking car horn & Fido comes trotting back to the open door, on command, hops in and off they go.

i've seen lazy, but... bravo.

and NYC public schools have in the teacher's union that they're not required to actually teach remotely.

3rd grade floppinha goes to a big elementary school (900+ kids), has a morning meeting via zoom/google-hangouts where the work assignments for the day are discussed. she does some work- couple hours max- and that's that. no comment, no teaching, no nothing. 

7th grade floppinho is in a crazy music intensive school (public, k-12) that's small- only 12 kids in his entire grade. his teachers are all actively teaching. 

our illustrious mayor and new schools' chancellor have had a political agenda for the last couple years to do away with selective screening for schools. applications for middle and high school is highly competitive, and creates a big hierarchy of schools.... which is great for top students, but has created a clearly racial/racist divide with increasingly less and less black and hispanic kids attending those top schools- for whatever reasons (sometimes it's about convenience more than ability- not wanting to travel 30mins-1hr to and from school and preferring to stay close).

covid has eliminated attendance and state test scores- two of the main criteria for admittance into these selective schools. now the mayor and chancellor have seemingly eliminated all grades of the entire year- the other obvious main criteria for admittance. they say grades already in the books will remain from the fall and winter... but school transcripts show one final grade which is used for applications. they've said this grade will be pass/fail essentially. a back-door for them to push their political agenda and still give lipservice to keeping grades "already in the books"... even though schools don't historically look at report cards- only the final transcript.

this has caused an uproar in uppity white folks houses all across our great city- including our own (yes.. shocker... we're partially white). high achieving 4th and 7th grade kids have been pushing themselves (or getting pushed) to do well this year for their middle and high school applications. now, their top grades are meaningless and identical  to other kids just barely passing.
Having to deal with the NYC education system would really suck. What a nightmare.

Having to deal with the NYC education system would really suck. What a nightmare.
Tbh, it's nuts...but there was at least a method to the madness. And once you or your amazing spouse figure it out- there are a lot of amazing opportunities for kids of all abilities.

But throwing that all out the window and turning it into what will likely be a purely lottery based acceptance system....sucks.

we are slowing getting the hang of it.  a solid routine, is key.  13 year old.  just about zero instruction from teachers.  it's been hell on earth.  good times.
Also 13. My daughter is on auto-pilot. I don't even ask anymore. She gets up in the morning, I assume is knocking it all out, and is done before lunch. She loves it. Sleep in, no uniform, no dumb questions from people in class (her words). They're using Google Classroom.

This isn't homeschooling.

Bob Sacamano said:
Also 13. My daughter is on auto-pilot. I don't even ask anymore. She gets up in the morning, I assume is knocking it all out, and is done before lunch. She loves it. Sleep in, no uniform, no dumb questions from people in class (her words). They're using Google Classroom.

Exactly the same with our 15 year old freshman son.  I wouldn't say he loves it because he really misses his friends.  But he does love the aspect of fitting everything into a couple of hours per day and setting his own pace rather than the LCD doing so in most of his classes.

Bob Sacamano said:

are they assigning letter grades?  how is she doing?

Users who are viewing this thread