Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

From that picture in bonzais thread about OC MD, glad we went to Assateague island yesterday instead.

We went to my parents place at the beach in SC.  I’m pretty sure no one visiting here has heard of Covid and it’s packed.  We end up going from 9-11 and then again from 4-5:30 which is fine, but it’s a zoo.

The locals actually seem sort of concerned.

Edited by Sammy3469
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sammy3469 said:

We went to my parents place at the beach in SC.  I’m pretty sure no one visiting here has heard of Covid and it’s packed.  The locals actually seem sort of concerned.

It's all fun and games until uncle Verne dies from the beer flu

• Like 1

I had the race on, but I wasn't paying a ton of attention. I turned around to watch the two-lap shootout at the end, and as they pile into the first turn, there's a flash of lighting, and I'm sitting in a dark room. Only for about a minute, but by the time my cable box rebooted, the race was long over. :lmao:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, RC94 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on having chicken noodle soup for breakfast?

10 hours ago, RC94 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on having chicken noodle soup for breakfast?

Depends on what cereal you are pouring into it

One of the neighborhood Karens posted to see if anyone else found it "odd and unsettling" that the ice-cream truck had been "trolling" the neighborhood, "targeting children with unnecessary contact for sweets."

Totally not making this up.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5
  • Laughing 10

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

One of the neighborhood Karens posted to see if anyone else found it "odd and unsettling" that the ice-cream truck had been "trolling" the neighborhood, "targeting children with unnecessary contact for sweets."

Totally not making this up.

As much as I like my Ring....the "neighborhood" feature has become terrible.  It used to be stuff like people checking unlocked cars, fires and some ok/usual stuff.

Now it's watch out for this wild animal (usually a fox), or look at this person in the middle of the day!!! ( It's usually a contractor looking for an address), last night was gunshots (they were fireworks)

• Laughing 1

Question for GMTAN - I totaled my car a few weeks back and am going to start looking around soon (GB working from home!).  I have a pretty specific vehicle in mind (Escape Hybrid, which is what I wrecked and was still going strong after 250K miles).  There are not a lot of them out there and at the moment the best candidate is in Connecticut, which is a bit of a hump from Indiana to go kick the tires. But the price and mileage look great.

It would be really cool if I could pay someone local (& trustworthy) a few bucks to go check the car out, maybe take it to a mechanic or dealership for a look-over.  Are there any services like that? I know I could get a CarFax but I'd hate to pull the trigger just based on that.

Or do any GMTANers feel like taking a roadie to Danbury?

3 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

This is quite a storm we're having. I'm at the convenience store because I don't have Coke Zero and don't judge me, I don't have covered parking. There might be Titleist-sized hail on the way. :oldunsure:

Are we not judging you because you broke social distancing for a convenience store run, because you like coke zero, or because you don't have covered parking like some kind of peasant? Because I actually like coke zero. 

• Laughing 2

2 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Question for GMTAN - I totaled my car a few weeks back and am going to start looking around soon (GB working from home!).  I have a pretty specific vehicle in mind (Escape Hybrid, which is what I wrecked and was still going strong after 250K miles).  There are not a lot of them out there and at the moment the best candidate is in Connecticut, which is a bit of a hump from Indiana to go kick the tires. But the price and mileage look great.

It would be really cool if I could pay someone local (& trustworthy) a few bucks to go check the car out, maybe take it to a mechanic or dealership for a look-over.  Are there any services like that? I know I could get a CarFax but I'd hate to pull the trigger just based on that.

Or do any GMTANers feel like taking a roadie to Danbury?

if you ever need something kicked in the waukee i would probably do it for free truth is i just like kickin stuff take that to the bank bromigo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first real life Karen!!;;

Go to bank drive through.

There are 3 cars in one line. 1 in the second.

Drive thru not opened yet. They have cones out.

Teller comes out moves some cones and tells lady that was technically here first that this lane won't open. So yeah they probably should have a sign.   Anyway instead not backing up and moving to second car, as we all backed up to move over, she holds a freaking temper tantrum.  Finally she moves over 😂

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, belljr said:

My first real life Karen!!;;

Go to bank drive through.

There are 3 cars in one line. 1 in the second.

Drive thru not opened yet. They have cones out.

Teller comes out moves some cones and tells lady that was technically here first that this lane won't open. So yeah they probably should have a sign.   Anyway instead not backing up and moving to second car, as we all backed up to move over, she holds a freaking temper tantrum.  Finally she moves over 😂

I really don’t understand people. 

I absolutely loathe the fast food places that have the double drive thru ordering system. It does absolutely nothing to reduce the total order delivery time and just introduces confusion.

I went through McDonalds last week (mistake 1) and hopped into the 2nd line as there was someone ordering from the one line. Not a big deal, there was enough room for him to complete his order and get in and for me to pull forward a bit when my order was complete. The line stalled for a bit because the holdup in orders is having the food ready, not in ordering of course. In the meantime another woman pulled up in line 1 and ordered. And as soon as the line started moving up, she floored it and cut in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes to not get hit. I just stared at her holding my hands out like “wtf” as she refused to look at me. And then of course when she got up to the window to pay she didn’t have the money ready and not only argued with the cashier about what the total should be but then seemed to have to scavenge around her car to try to find enough money to pay. Meanwhile I had prepaid using the app and could have easily been right through the line and gone.

Pretty clear that a non-insignificant percentage of people are just plain selfish.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I really don’t understand people. 

I absolutely loathe the fast food places that have the double drive thru ordering system. It does absolutely nothing to reduce the total order delivery time and just introduces confusion.

I went through McDonalds last week (mistake 1) and hopped into the 2nd line as there was someone ordering from the one line. Not a big deal, there was enough room for him to complete his order and get in and for me to pull forward a bit when my order was complete. The line stalled for a bit because the holdup in orders is having the food ready, not in ordering of course. In the meantime another woman pulled up in line 1 and ordered. And as soon as the line started moving up, she floored it and cut in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes to not get hit. I just stared at her holding my hands out like “wtf” as she refused to look at me. And then of course when she got up to the window to pay she didn’t have the money ready and not only argued with the cashier about what the total should be but then seemed to have to scavenge around her car to try to find enough money to pay. Meanwhile I had prepaid using the app and could have easily been right through the line and gone.

Pretty clear that a non-insignificant percentage of people are just plain selfish.

I was in a single line once and I was paying my money in window one.  Window 2 where you pick up the food was free.  Some car comes flying from the parking lot cuts in front of me to go to window two to return some food :lmao:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belljr said:

I was in a single line once and I was paying my money in window one.  Window 2 where you pick up the food was free.  Some car comes flying from the parking lot cuts in front of me to go to window two to return some food :lmao:

sorry about that

• Laughing 2

anyone have a good way to explain to a really, really, really stupid, stubborn old man & his wife that water flows to the lowest point and if there's enough of it, the water will sweep away objects in its path... especially things like mulch, leaves, twigs and small lava rock?

Just now, mr. furley said:

anyone have a good way to explain to a really, really, really stupid, stubborn old man & his wife that water flows to the lowest point and if there's enough of it, the water will sweep away objects in its path... especially things like mulch, leaves, twigs and small lava rock?

picture of the grand canyon?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

can we get some background on this ?

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, -fish- said:

Roverkid’s 16th birthday is coming up.  I bought her a 2004 Jeep Wrangler today.  She was very excited.  

Took this car to my mechanic, who declared it a POS.  Deal was contingent on mechanic approval, so no problem getting money back.  Decided my daughter needs a better car than what's available at this price point, so it looks like she's getting a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited now.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

I'm not sure of the right answer, but I certainly wouldn't explain it like you did in this post.  It's way too complicated and scientific for 99% of the population to understand.  Try using more grunts and hand gestures. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

can we get some background on this ?

long story, made short:   "community" drain lies on neighbor property.  nreighbor planted a pine tree next to it years ago (probably when they built the house in the 80s). underneath the tree is the drain.... and nothing else because the acidity of the pine tree kills everything. 

so he throws down massive amounts of mulch and lava rock to "beautify" the space under & around the tree.

the tree & his property are above the drain.. my property is similarly above the level of the drain... but not as high as his. 

when we get rain (yesterday we got over 3" from about 8 AM until 2 PM) the mulch/leaves/rock, etc. under his stupid ####### pine tree, wash...... down slope (imagine that!!).... in to the drain, and block the grates in a few minutes.  eventually as the rain accumulates and debris piles up over the drain grate, blocking it.. the water has nowhere to go so it backs up in to three yards (mine, my neighbor to the south and my neighbor directly east), but not in to his yard.

i had shin deep water going about 40 feet from the drain.  the water also backs up enough to go through my neighbor's fence, in to his pool.  

the only way to resolve this flooding/backup is to clean debris off the grate. repeatedly. idiot neighbor won't do it. he & his idiot wife have threatened me for stepping on their property to clean the debris away so that the water can drain away and stop ####### flooding my ####### yard.

fine, we said, then ####### clean it yourselves when it rains. i only do it because i have to or i'll have water in my house.. which is 50 feet away.  you dumb ####wit. it can take 30 minutes to clean the drain, or it can take 3 hours.   either way it has to be done, or i will have standing water in my yard for DAYS. 

to that he says "no, and stay off my property".  and instead of doing anything helpful to keep me off his property... he adds more & more & more mulch after every rain fall.  so i continually have to clean the ####### drain off, and wind up throwing the mulch, rocks, etc. on to his yard because it's closest... which pisses him off.

but, #### that guy for not understanding simple physics. dumb ####### #######. 

eta: i have to add this amazing tidbit. this stupid numbnuts laid down lengths of pipe... completely at random... around the drain.  they're maybe 3-4 feet long & if the width of the tube is larger than 1/8" i'm the pope. he claims that it helps the water drain faster.  how that makes sense i'm not sure. it's just pvc pipe, laying on top of the ground, with an opening 1/2 as big as a straw. probably smaller.  why he thinks that will assist in draining water that's over a foot deep is anybody's guess, but i'd have to think it's the result of his 3rd grade education.

Edited by mr. furley
  • Laughing 2

50 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Took this car to my mechanic, who declared it a POS.  Deal was contingent on mechanic approval, so no problem getting money back.  Decided my daughter needs a better car than what's available at this price point, so it looks like she's getting a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited now.  

Time for her to pick some ponies.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

50 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

when we get rain (yesterday we got over 3" from about 8 AM until 2 PM) the mulch/leaves/rock, etc. under his stupid ####### pine tree, wash...... down slope (imagine that!!).... in to the drain, and block the grates in a few minutes.  eventually as the rain accumulates and debris piles up over the drain grate, blocking it.. the water has nowhere to go so it backs up in to three yards (mine, my neighbor to the south and my neighbor directly east), but not in to his yard.

i had shin deep water going about 40 feet from the drain.  the water also backs up enough to go through my neighbor's fence, in to his pool.  

sorry man ...outside of killing the tree (which still doesn't solve the mulch problem) sounds like you have to go litigious on his ### ...expensive.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, -fish- said:

smart.  my kid is turning 14 in july.  gonna teach her to drive this summer.  she too, would like a jeep

1 hour ago, -fish- said:

Not sure if too late...but I think rental car agencies are selling off their fleets. Might be some deals to be had.

1 hour ago, RC94 said:

I'm not sure of the right answer, but I certainly wouldn't explain it like you did in this post.  It's way too complicated and scientific for 99% of the population to understand.  Try using more grunts and hand gestures. 

Finger puppets

44 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

smart.  my kid is turning 14 in july.  gonna teach her to drive this summer.  she too, would like a jeep

are you concerned about it having a relatively narrow wheel-base compared to the height of the Jeep?  I know Grand Cherokees had some problems with that.  Our daughter just turned 16 and we're gonna buy something in the next 6 months or so.  Thinking something like this. Concerned about gas mileage though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

are you concerned about it having a relatively narrow wheel-base compared to the height of the Jeep?  I know Grand Cherokees had some problems with that.  Our daughter just turned 16 and we're gonna buy something in the next 6 months or so.  Thinking something like this. Concerned about gas mileage though. 

@-fish-

I owned a 79 wrangler and drove that thing like it was meant to driven.  It was raised and had 35” tires. I broke just about every part of that car. Including the drive shaft.  I never had any issues with it tipping over or anything like that. And I really pushed the car’s limits.  That car, taught me how to drive really well. It also showed me what cars can really do, if you’re not concerned about breaking everything.  That freakin Jeep would climb trees. 

26 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

@-fish-

I owned a 79 wrangler and drove that thing like it was meant to driven.  It was raised and had 35” tires. I broke just about every part of that car. Including the drive shaft.  I never had any issues with it tipping over or anything like that. And I really pushed the car’s limits.  That car, taught me how to drive really well. It also showed me what cars can really do, if you’re not concerned about breaking everything.  That freakin Jeep would climb trees. 

Yeah the TJ we looked at would have been fun for her, except that it had major problems that would have cost $5000 to repair, and after that it would still be a 15 year old Jeep.  I wasn't really concerned about her rolling it.  I've rolled one and was a passenger when a friend rolled his, but we were pushing those things in the desert and it wasn't a surprise.   This one had a bad emissions system, bad brakes, bad shocks, a bad front differential, the A/C didn't work...the list goes on.  That was before the body work it needed.

2013 Unlimited needs new brake pads, shocks and some minor work on the rear differential.  Other than that it's pristine.  It also gets about 17 mpg compared to 10 or 11 for the TJ. 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Not sure if too late...but I think rental car agencies are selling off their fleets. Might be some deals to be had.

Someone else told me this and I looked at a couple rental car places that sell used vehicles.   None in my state that fit the bill, and I don't want the hassle of buying a car that isn't local enough for me to drive to.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Someone else told me this and I looked at a couple rental car places that sell used vehicles.   None in my state that fit the bill, and I don't want the hassle of buying a car that isn't local enough for me to drive to.

fwiw- I think the big box rental agencies... especially now bankrupt Hertz... will be doing this soon. not sure if they're already in process.

5 hours ago, mr. furley said:

What about witches, do they float?  Besides legal matters which someone already mentioned, maybe a rake attached to a really long pole, so you aren't on his property.  Or make a plan with the neighbor to the east and build up the sides of your common lot lines so the water can't come over into your yards.  I know it is not "legal" to change the drainage of your property, but seems like this would be a good time to do something and plead "I didn't know I couldn't do that".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belljr said:

My daughter drove a car for the first time today....

Good luck.  My daughters first time she didn’t realize she had it in reverse, gunned it directly at a rock wall.   Luckily I pulled the ebrake before she hit anything.  She’s much better now.  

Seattle and Portland looking pretty sketchy this weekend.  Stay safe.  Seattle’s idiot anarchists and hyperaggressive police are bound to end up  bad.  Portland’s already burning the justice center.  

16 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Seattle and Portland looking pretty sketchy this weekend.  Stay safe.  Seattle’s idiot anarchists and hyperaggressive police are bound to end up  bad.  Portland’s already burning the justice center. 

Kind of makes you long for the days of the good old-fashioned IMF/WTO protests, huh? 

8yo Floppinha and I just got back from playing tennis- a perk of being out of the city.

Ended in tears- a bug deigned to land on her mid play, and that's all she wrote. You can take the girl out of the city, but you just can't take the city out of the girl.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

8yo Floppinha and I just got back from playing tennis- a perk of being out of the city.

Ended in tears- a bug deigned to land on her mid play, and that's all she wrote. You can take the girl out of the city, but you just can't take the city out of the girl.

Literally all of the reactions are valid for this post. I went with the like.

• Like 4