Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

On 6/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, krista4 said:

Thanks.  I seem to have a silicone whisk but will get stainless.

Seem still to have lots of bowls of various types.

This all arose when I decided to make my first meal today:  a crustless quiche with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, and feta.  Turned out delicious!  But I had one silicone fork and whisk to use for everything.  :( 

Silicone whisk is for things like this

Heat non stick pan on medium 

Melt a small pat of butter 

Crack two eggs directly in pan

Add a spoon of craime fraiche 

Remove from heat and whisk those eggs like a mother father

Add back to heat and allow to cook

Remove from heat and flip

Return to heat to finish 

Season and garnish to taste 

Best scrambled eggs imo but if you do it with a metal whisk you'll scratch the crap out of your stainless steel or non stick pans. 

• Thinking 1

22 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Silicone whisk is for things like this

Heat non stick pan on medium 

Melt a small pat of butter 

Crack two eggs directly in pan

Add a spoon of craime fraiche 

Remove from heat and whisk those eggs like a mother father

Add back to heat and allow to cook

Remove from heat and flip

Return to heat to finish 

Season and garnish to taste 

Best scrambled eggs imo but if you do it with a metal whisk you'll scratch the crap out of your stainless steel or non stick pans. 

how do you keep from splashing the eggs everywhere?

22 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Well, the govt may take my job away again. :sadbanana:

Was just talking to roverkid about how much people in LA are getting jerked around.  Probably more economically efficient to leave things closed than to reopen and close a week or two later.   We're probably going backward here, too.   Restaurants have been open at 50% capacity for two weeks.   Good chance we go back to shutting them down next week.

Eggs have two needs. Egg and butter. Everything else was probably your mind being polluted by your parents growing up. I've read water can help make them a little airier, which translates to fluffier. And I've read that's a load of ####. So I'm not tied to either direction wrt it. But milk makes eggs suck out loud imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Meh, personal preference 

I'm with you.  I like pizzas and egg dishes well done, just personal preference.  I like meats medium rare and seafoods rare.  I dunno.

34 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Eggs have two needs. Egg and butter. Everything else was probably your mind being polluted by your parents growing up. I've read water can help make them a little airier, which translates to fluffier. And I've read that's a load of ####. So I'm not tied to either direction wrt it. But milk makes eggs suck out loud imo. 

No water or milk here, but I want them done, not fluffy.

38 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Sour cream, heathens

This is an interesting idea, flavor-wise.

• Like 1

Crack eggs in bowl. Whisk or use fork to aerate and mix yolk with white. Melt butter in pan over low heat, mix in eggs from bowl and stir regularly, removing from heat as needed so the eggs down firm up too much. Remove while still soft...they'll keep cooking a bit. Voylah.

I had a package due to arrive from Amazon on Monday, being delivered via USPS.  Monday evening I received a message from Amazon that delivery was attempted but my driveway was not accessible, which not only wasn't true but why the hell would that matter?  So Tuesday morning I left a very kind note in my mailbox telling my mailperson how much I appreciate her and all she does to get my packages and other mail to me, but that the "driveway not accessible" was incorrect and I hoped she'd go ahead and get me my package.

Nothing arrived yesterday, but this morning I looked in my mailbox and found that she had left a "sorry we missed you" attempted delivery note yesterday, with the explanation for non-delivery written in as "it's large and heavy."  Srsly, she wrote a note saying she wouldn't deliver it because it was large and heavy.  It is 39 pounds.  

Figuring I'd have better luck just talking to someone in person, I went to the post office with the notice and asked them if they could deliver my package.  Eventually the woman behind the counter found the package and brought it to a door, but she couldn't understand that I wanted them to deliver it, like postal services allegedly do, since it was too long to fit in my car.  Confused, she said she'd get her manager. 

I waited and then a large angry-looking woman appeared, scowling at me and barking, "I heard you wanted to talk to me."   I was legit confused as I hadn't asked to talk to her; luckily the first woman stepped in and explained that I was concerned about getting the package delivered.  After a series of questions/allegations, where the angry one first said I must not have been home for the delivery and that was the problem ("No, ma'am, I work from home and was there all day both Monday and Tuesday, plus this package doesn't require a signature"), and then that I must have a driveway longer than 1/2 mile and they won't go up those ("no ma'am, my driveway is only as long as from here to [gestures at a point 20 feet away]"), she finally said she'd come see my driveway for herself and get back to me.  I gave her my phone number and asked her when, and she said maybe by tomorrow.  I said ok and started to leave, and then she asked if I was going to take the package.  Confused, I said no and that what I had been talking about was getting them to deliver it.  She said oh yeah, they'd do that this afternoon.  I expressed my relief and happiness, and thanked her profusely, after which her attitude totally changed.

And then it occurred to me:  she thought she had a Karen.  She thought I had asked to see a manager because I wanted to complain and get someone's head on a pike for their mistake.  I didn't ask to see anyone and just wanted to coordinate to get my damn package delivered.  Dammit, I AM NOT A KAREN.

But now I'm all sad that someone mistakenly thought I was.  :(

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I had a package due to arrive from Amazon on Monday, being delivered via USPS.  Monday evening I received a message from Amazon that delivery was attempted but my driveway was not accessible, which not only wasn't true but why the hell would that matter?  So Tuesday morning I left a very kind note in my mailbox telling my mailperson how much I appreciate her and all she does to get my packages and other mail to me, but that the "driveway not accessible" was incorrect and I hoped she'd go ahead and get me my package.

Nothing arrived yesterday, but this morning I looked in my mailbox and found that she had left a "sorry we missed you" attempted delivery note yesterday, with the explanation for non-delivery written in as "it's large and heavy."  Srsly, she wrote a note saying she wouldn't deliver it because it was large and heavy.  It is 39 pounds.  

Figuring I'd have better luck just talking to someone in person, I went to the post office with the notice and asked them if they could deliver my package.  Eventually the woman behind the counter found the package and brought it to a door, but she couldn't understand that I wanted them to deliver it, like postal services allegedly do, since it was too long to fit in my car.  Confused, she said she'd get her manager. 

I waited and then a large angry-looking woman appeared, scowling at me and barking, "I heard you wanted to talk to me."   I was legit confused as I hadn't asked to talk to her; luckily the first woman stepped in and explained that I was concerned about getting the package delivered.  After a series of questions/allegations, where the angry one first said I must not have been home for the delivery and that was the problem ("No, ma'am, I work from home and was there all day both Monday and Tuesday, plus this package doesn't require a signature"), and then that I must have a driveway longer than 1/2 mile and they won't go up those ("no ma'am, my driveway is only as long as from here to [gestures at a point 20 feet away]"), she finally said she'd come see my driveway for herself and get back to me.  I gave her my phone number and asked her when, and she said maybe by tomorrow.  I said ok and started to leave, and then she asked if I was going to take the package.  Confused, I said no and that what I had been talking about was getting them to deliver it.  She said oh yeah, they'd do that this afternoon.  I expressed my relief and happiness, and thanked her profusely, after which her attitude totally changed.

And then it occurred to me:  she thought she had a Karen.  She thought I had asked to see a manager because I wanted to complain and get someone's head on a pike for their mistake.  I didn't ask to see anyone and just wanted to coordinate to get my damn package delivered.  Dammit, I AM NOT A KAREN.

This is like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus.  All summer long the grasshopper collected acorns and saved them for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV.  Then winter came and the grasshopper died.  The octopus took his acorns and he got a race car too.  Do you know what I mean?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 2

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

:lmao:  Perfect.

It was a box spring, FWIW.

I can’t believe they are going to haul that to your house and back at least three times when all is said and done. Any self-respecting slacker would’ve chucked that at the first house he came to on his route (and had a 30% chance of it being a property you owned or will own at some pint).

Also: I thought box springs were basically  extinct with the advent of memory foam...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

I can’t believe they are going to haul that to your house and back at least three times when all is said and done. Any self-respecting slacker would’ve chucked that at the first house he came to on his route (and had a 30% chance of it being a property you owned or will own at some pint).

Also: I thought box springs were basically  extinct with the advent of memory foam...

No idea on that latter part.  I needed as cheap a mattress setup I could get without it being unreasonably so, for a bedroom I hope no one will ever stay in because get off my lawn.

But yeah, they dropped it on the porch this afternoon, and I managed to get it into the house on my own because apparently I'm Mr. Olympia (and also not a Karen).

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, Dan Lambskin said:

the inside glass on our oven door is cracked which I guess is bad.  Replacement glass looks like $100-$200

its at least 15 years old so I told the wife we can just get a new range.  Currently white but she wants to switch to stainless, but now she’s trying to get me to replace a perfectly fine microwave too “so they’ll match”

Shop around. There are deals to be had, esp. clearance or returns at HD.Lowes. 

1. Scrambled eggs are for children 

2. we had a substitute mail carrier for a bit and we’d go days without mail then all of a sudden receive a bunch with a note that appeared to say DOG AT DOOR.  We have 2 dogs, a 13 year old graying decrepit hound dog and a 15 lb mini hound dog.  We leave our main door open a lot but have a full glass storm door.  I have no idea why seeing dogs behind a glass door stops you from delivering mail, but I figured complaining was too much effort.  Plus 99% of mail I get is garbage 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

26 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Shop around. There are deals to be had, esp. clearance or returns at HD.Lowes. 

Looked at some today, unfortunately most store models are the gas version so hard to get a good feel.  

also my wife is ruling out LG because the inside of the oven is blue even though nobody will ever see this except for a few seconds a handful of times a week

8 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Looked at some today, unfortunately most store models are the gas version so hard to get a good feel.  

also my wife is ruling out LG because the inside of the oven is blue even though nobody will ever see this except for a few seconds a handful of times a week

Can you not convert to gas. Its sooo much better. For the stove anyway. Oven is better electric

12 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

1. Scrambled eggs are for children 

2. we had a substitute mail carrier for a bit and we’d go days without mail then all of a sudden receive a bunch with a note that appeared to say DOG AT DOOR.  We have 2 dogs, a 13 year old graying decrepit hound dog and a 15 lb mini hound dog.  We leave our main door open a lot but have a full glass storm door.  I have no idea why seeing dogs behind a glass door stops you from delivering mail, but I figured complaining was too much effort.  Plus 99% of mail I get is garbage 

I know our PO has had a lot of issues with getting enough staff - they're always hiring - so I cut them a lot of slack.  But I've had the same thing where I don't get mail for a long while, and then a bunch, not even with a "dog at door" excuse.  I get informed delivery so have pictures of the mail every day that is supposed to come, but it's just a question of actually getting it.  Everyone in the neighborhood is constantly redelivering and/or looking for lost packages.  Still, I've never complained, including today because I am not a Karen.

1 minute ago, kevzilla said:

My electric razor bought the farm this week after seventeen months. I expected more for $135. I see these $40 razors, anyone think you can get six months out of them? I'll come out ahead.

Grow a beard and go back to a regular multi-blade razor.  I bought a pack at Costco I swear it was 3 years ago.

3 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Can you not convert to gas. Its sooo much better. For the stove anyway. Oven is better electric

I could but I don’t really feel like it, plus I’ve been cooking on electric for 15 years so kind of used to it.  Also I think the wife likes the look/cleanability better

also looks like some have a convention option, is this worth it?  From what I can tell you can either do normal or convection bake

11 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

My electric razor bought the farm this week after seventeen months. I expected more for $135. I see these $40 razors, anyone think you can get six months out of them? I'll come out ahead.

Yes, In fact I get the $20 and toss them when the blades get the lease bit mean and buy another. Of course I only use it every few months

9 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I could but I don’t really feel like it, plus I’ve been cooking on electric for 15 years so kind of used to it.  Also I think the wife likes the look/cleanability better

also looks like some have a convention option, is this worth it?  From what I can tell you can either do normal or convection bake

Convection is great, but if you like cooking on an electric stove wtf knows.

And there's no way cleaning a glass top is less hassle than a gas top, and coil tops are the suck. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shuke said:

Grow a beard and go back to a regular multi-blade razor.  I bought a pack at Costco I swear it was 3 years ago.

That's a brand new sharp-bladed on for me (does math real quick) every 4-5 month*

based on a  $135 purchase price, ymmv

Edited by cosjobs

15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I know our PO has had a lot of issues with getting enough staff - they're always hiring - so I cut them a lot of slack.  But I've had the same thing where I don't get mail for a long while, and then a bunch, not even with a "dog at door" excuse.  I get informed delivery so have pictures of the mail every day that is supposed to come, but it's just a question of actually getting it.  Everyone in the neighborhood is constantly redelivering and/or looking for lost packages.  Still, I've never complained, including today because I am not a Karen.

informed delivery is the best thing the govt has done since the new deal

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

CALM DOWN

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

35 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Manscaped Lawnmower 3.0 for you bro.  The tools for your family jewels....or your face.  You know, whatevs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevzilla said:

Wahl. Period.

Had some barber dude, cut my hair, beard, etc. around 25 years ago. Cost me $20 bucks.  Ridiculous waste of money  🤑

Bought the cheapest wahl product the next day. Haven’t paid for haircut, beard trim, shave since*  still have the same shave/trim kit  

*Went to my sisters wedding in Argentina looking like a Sasquatch.  Had to have my #### tightened up for the wedding.  The argentine, barber dude, went all crazy, and went to town on my ears. That’s when I found out my ear hair was growing at a rapid pace.  :oldunsure:

Went to grind my coffee at Costco yesterday, Someone had left, at least half a bag of beans, in the grinder.  Gave it the ole smell test. Seemed decent(wasn’t flavored). Added it to our bag.  My wife had to carry out our bag of ground coffee, with both hands. because it was filled, completely  to the brim. :winning: