Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

5 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Woof, came in here to ##### about my obnoxious neighbor, but seems like a dream compared to some of the last page.

Hang in there, y'all.

(Also, "Oh, hai. Still not COVID'ed, still around, but haven't been feeling very social these past months.")

:popcorn:

• Replies 87.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Officer Pete Malloy

• General Malaise

• El Floppo

• kevzilla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Thanks for all the thropwas everybody.  I'm doing alright, hanging out with family and friends, tipping back cold ones, grilling and enjoying 80 degree weather.  Despite being a little sad, I'm reliev

Posted Images

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

:popcorn:

It's really not that interesting, in retrospect. Pretty standard fare: 

Work has been ridiculously busy since about October.  Finally pushed out the project I've been working on in an early-access state to Steam last week, so I'm hoping I get a bit of a break for a little while. It still needs a lot of work though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Re: the neighbors:  They live upstairs, they're noisy as ####, they're ESL so I have zero idea what they're saying, but I hear them screaming/throwing #### at least twice a week, they have basically given my dog PTSD and he won't do anything but hide in my office most nights now.  I hate the situation/them and am getting to the point where I'd be willing to eat the penalty for breaking a lease.

Lease runs out in about two months though, so we'll just solider through it.  Wife and I are ready to get the hell out of here, and eff right off to apartment living ever again.  Too old for this nonsense.  Contemplating biting the bullet on a house (or at least renting one. I'd rather just buy, she's a 'fraidy cat and I'm sure will fight me on it, but I make the money, soooo.....).  In this market, I'm sure we won't totally have to make bids against 40 other entities. 😐

Also pretty sure I have frozen shoulder in my dominant arm.  Guess all that masturbation 30 years ago has come home to roost.  (IT WAS WORTH IT...probably....I guess.  Now I can barely put on a shirt though, so I clearly didn't think it through).

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
3 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Also pretty sure I have frozen shoulder in my dominant arm.  Guess all that masturbation 30 years ago has come home to roost.  (IT WAS WORTH IT...probably....I guess.  Now I can barely put on a shirt though, so I clearly didn't think it through).

I just got diagnosed with frozen shoulder (different cause :) ) and let me tell you it sucks beyond belief.  Same thing with a shirt, I have to keep my left arm down, pull the shirt through, then pull it over my head.  I'm going to Dr. Andrews clinic of athlete fame, and Dr. Cain said it can take up to 2 years to resolve on its own.  There is no known cause, it just happens (so there goes your theory :) ).  It goes through 3 phases (freezing, frozen, thawing) and the pain is worst in the freezing phase.  Once it is totally frozen it's mainly just a big range of motion loss.  Going through PT now after having cortisone shots and a separate steroid pack. He's going to evaluate whether we should do arthroscopic surgery next to speed up the process (I'm 5 months in).

Good luck with your recovery!

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

@5-ish Finkle it's been a year or two.  should we finally cornhole it up?

It's been a year or four, brother. I got here in Summer 2017. :)

I'm not vaccine'ed yet, sadly cuz I can't find an effing appointment anywhere near here.  You?  Once that's taken care of, yes, we should do that.

@CorporationI'm intimately familiar.  Both my wife and bro-in-law had been diagnosed with it within the past 5 years.  There's actually some data that supports it COULD be related to hypothyroidism, which they both check a box for (mildly), but I don't have that issue (or didn't. Who the hell knows?)   It's also not anything more than a handful of docs who think "Meh...MAYBE this could be it? *shrug*" 

Wiffe/her brother were both were lucky enough to get it in their non-dominant hands, at least.  Not me though. Nope.  Hadda be the money-maker.  My wife is just now starting to get back her full range of motion after about 10 months.  Can't recall how long her brother fought with it, but it was probably around 12-14 months. Both had cortisone shots (hers didn't really help), no surgeries.

I have an appt. with my PCP next Monday. I'm sure he'll do an exam, send me for X-rays, then say "Hmmm...nope, no tears or strains.  Frozen shoulder. Go do PT and stretch!" to which I will reply to by punching him in the face and saying "Sure, I'll do that...right after you get me some Oxy (or at least some antiinflammatories)."  We shall see how it goes.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Frozen shoulder. Go do PT and stretch!" to which I will reply to by punching him in the face

sorry man, I had it first in my left shoulder and did PT for over a year with zero improvement.

ruined my golf game, finally had surgery ...not fun but got me back to about 90-95% range of movement and pain-free ...also with PT - total time after surgery was a good 6-8 months for me.

then about 4 years later I got it in my right shoulder - which is what the doc said happens often.  When it got bad enough ...I did the surgery, same deal on PT and full recovery time.  They say diabetes type II is related for many (which I am).  

hope the PT on it's own works for you, but the surgery route was the only thing that did it for me.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

hope the PT on it's own works for you, but the surgery route was the only thing that did it for me.

Here's hoping. 

I don't have any underlying conditions, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is just the rando "you're "old" now, this crap happens" stuff and I won't be dealing with it again in the other shoulder.  Of course, now every single twinge or ache on the right side make me think it's already starting.  Fun!

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

sorry man, I had it first in my left shoulder and did PT for over a year with zero improvement.

ruined my golf game, finally had surgery ...not fun but got me back to about 90-95% range of movement and pain-free ...also with PT - total time after surgery was a good 6-8 months for me.

then about 4 years later I got it in my right shoulder - which is what the doc said happens often.  When it got bad enough ...I did the surgery, same deal on PT and full recovery time.  They say diabetes type II is related for many (which I am).  

Yep, in addition to what 5ish mentioned with hypothyroid he mentioned diabetes (I have neither).  He also said the same thing about it occurring later in the other shoulder.  The doctor also said it occurs mainly in women so I got that going for me :)  He did say a little good news in that it doesn't usually recur in the same shoulder so once it is over it is done.

I think you are saying that surgery took you 6 to 8 months to recover, or were you talking about from the first time you noticed it?  I was stretching for golf when I noticed tightness, then waited 6 weeks before going to the doctor.  I'm about 5 months in and was hoping that surgery would be about a 6 week recovery period.

Whatever the recovery, I think that is my next step.  I can't imagine dealing with this another 1.5 years. I got minimal to maybe marginal relief from the 2 cortisone shots and the first round of PT.

Edited by Corporation
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Corporation said:

Yep, in addition to what 5ish mentioned with hypothyroid he mentioned diabetes (I have neither).  He also said the same thing about it occurring later in the other shoulder.  The doctor also said it occurs mainly in women so I got that going for me :)  He did say a little good news in that it doesn't usually recur in the same shoulder so once it is over it is done.

I think you are saying that surgery took you 6 to 8 months to recover, or were you talking about from the first time you noticed it?  I was stretching for golf when I noticed tightness, then waited 6 weeks before going to the doctor.  I'm about 5 months in and was hoping that surgery would be about a 6 week recovery period.

Whatever the recovery, I think that is my next step.  I can't imagine dealing with this another 1.5 years. I got minimal to maybe marginal relief from the 2 cortisone shots and the first round of PT.

for me it was the 6-8 months after the surgery to get to the 90-95% full range of motion recovery (with 3months of 2-3x wk PT) ...it was pretty bad.  

if you want to go play golf without the full range of motion you will likely achieve - no problem ...they will tell you - you can't hurt it.  Seems weird, but that's what the doc told me.  

I did the cortisone shots before graduating to surgery - and it did help a lot with my golf game, but they only lasted a month or two.  It was a great stop gap.  

ETA:  I had been doing the PT and cortisone shots for over a year ...and I'm the one that told my doc - hey, I'm sick of this man, I'm getting surgery and asked him who was best for frozen shoulder.  

I even tried the trigenics deal and went to Canada to see Dr. O - didn't work for me but apparently has for a lot of people.  Oh #### did it hurt ...basically they dope you up - put you up against a wall and try to force you elbow up to the back of your neck (not really but felt like it).  The idea is that tear all those adhesions loose.  

btw:  my procedure was right in the office that guy is in at the top of the page.

Edited by Binky The Doormat
7 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

for me it was the 6-8 months after the surgery to get to the 90-95% full range of motion recovery (with 3months of 2-3x wk PT) ...it was pretty bad.  

if you want to go play golf without the full range of motion you will likely achieve - no problem ...they will tell you - you can't hurt it.  Seems weird, but that's what the doc told me.  

I did the cortisone shots before graduating to surgery - and it did help a lot with my golf game, but they only lasted a month or two.  It was a great stop gap.  

Any chance either of you tried/asked your doc about CBD for this?  It's technically an anti-inflammatory. 

Maybe I can talk my PCP into some edibles. :)

4 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

It's been a year or four, brother. I got here in Summer 2017. :)

I'm not vaccine'ed yet, sadly cuz I can't find an effing appointment anywhere near here.  You?  Once that's taken care of, yes, we should do that.

my chip is implanted!  4 years?  whoa

are you registered with the Othena app?  that's how i handled it for the wife and i.  super easy  and one of the mega sites, is across the street from me, at soka university.

2 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

my chip is implanted!  4 years?  whoa

are you registered with the Othena app?  that's how i handled it for the wife and i.  super easy  and one of the mega sites, is across the street from me, at soka university.

I have not, but you're the second person today who mentioned it (and Soka), so I'll probably be taking a look at it tonight.

14 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Any chance either of you tried/asked your doc about CBD for this?  It's technically an anti-inflammatory. 

i can ask the wife, for the nearest "shop" to you.  she used to partake.  i know there was one on dyer and the 55.  that's close to you, correct?

####, i can ask my neighbor for his delivery guy.  it's like amazon prime.  has been for yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrssssss.  

you're in socal brah.

15 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

this all happened well before I had ever heard about CBD - and well before legalization

I like where you're headed though ...worth a shot

3 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

I have not, but you're the second person today who mentioned it (and Soka), so I'll probably be taking a look at it tonight.

it was beyond easy.  signed up in january, when they announced the app.  as soon as my group was eligible, i got an appointment.  walked across the street.  microchipped!!  

• Laughing 1
3 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i can ask the wife, for the nearest "shop" to you.  she used to partake.  i know there was one on dyer and the 55.  that's close to you, correct?

####, i can ask my neighbor for his delivery guy.  it's like amazon prime.  has been for yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrssssss.  

you're in socal brah.

The one on Dyer near the 55 is about a mile from my office (well, if I were going in to the office, that is).  It's still there as far as I know.

I was half kidding. I don't usually partake (not that I'm opposed. I just don't smoke), but at this point given how the pain has ramped up over the past week I'm almost willing to eat a donkey's taint if it'd dull this, so some "weed gummies" seem like a less "taint-y" alternative. :)   I'm just wondering if it'd actually be worth it or do anything at all.

4 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

The one on Dyer near the 55 is about a mile from my office (well, if I were going in to the office, that is).  It's still there as far as I know.

I was half kidding. I don't usually partake (not that I'm opposed. I just don't smoke), but at this point given how the pain has ramped up over the past week I'm almost willing to eat a donkey's taint if it'd dull this, so some "weed gummies" seem like a less "taint-y" alternative. :)   I'm just wondering if it'd actually be worth it or do anything at all.

hell, my 76 year old mother got me some papa and barkleys salve, that really seems to help with sore muscles, aches and pains, etc.  

it's WIDELY available, should you chose to try it out.

7 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

My bride just mentioned the creams a minute ago.  Neither of us had considered them at all, which seems stupid at this point.  Certainly can pick up that, if nothing else.

mom says the papa and barkley's is top of the line.  :lmao:   i have the "1:3 thc rich"  relief balm

10 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

It's really not that interesting, in retrospect. Pretty standard fare: 

Work has been ridiculously busy since about October.  Finally pushed out the project I've been working on in an early-access state to Steam last week, so I'm hoping I get a bit of a break for a little while. It still needs a lot of work though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Re: the neighbors:  They live upstairs, they're noisy as ####, they're ESL so I have zero idea what they're saying, but I hear them screaming/throwing #### at least twice a week, they have basically given my dog PTSD and he won't do anything but hide in my office most nights now.  I hate the situation/them and am getting to the point where I'd be willing to eat the penalty for breaking a lease.

Lease runs out in about two months though, so we'll just solider through it.  Wife and I are ready to get the hell out of here, and eff right off to apartment living ever again.  Too old for this nonsense.  Contemplating biting the bullet on a house (or at least renting one. I'd rather just buy, she's a 'fraidy cat and I'm sure will fight me on it, but I make the money, soooo.....).  In this market, I'm sure we won't totally have to make bids against 40 other entities. 😐

Confront the upstairs neighbor, get into a shouting match, goad him into punching you in your bad shoulder.  Sue him since he obviously just broke your entire shoulder, use the physical altercation to get out of your lease early, "violent neighbor" must be a good enough reason.  All your issues are then resolved.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

All your issues are then resolved.

Other than the 'sploded shoulder and the wife scared of, well, everything.  But I like where your head's at.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
14 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Unfortunately the kind words and assorted prayers didn't work. My FIL's organs are failing and he's not going to make it. Thank you all. Get the vaccine. 

I'm sorry, GB. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Unfortunately the kind words and assorted prayers didn't work. My FIL's organs are failing and he's not going to make it. Thank you all. Get the vaccine. 

Sorry to hear.  Thoprawishes.... :(

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

I’m so sorry. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Sorry Frostillicus 

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, Frostillicus said:

So sorry to hear Frosty, thoprawishes to you and your family.

Edited by Hawks64

Officially booked for San Diego/Portland. I needed to use up Alaska Airline credit for a failed trip to Alaska so I was looking for places I could fly nonstop to Portland from. Denver was the other option. Mrs. O is joining me in San Diego for a few days, but heading back to Tampa while I continue on to Portland. Staying with friends again 7/30-8/2 and seeing Alanis Morissette (I am  going to see Liz Phair and Garbage since I've not ever had the opportunity to see either to date) up the road in WA on the 31st. No other plans as of yet.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Officially booked for San Diego/Portland. I needed to use up Alaska Airline credit for a failed trip to Alaska so I was looking for places I could fly nonstop to Portland from. Denver was the other option. Mrs. O is joining me in San Diego for a few days, but heading back to Tampa while I continue on to Portland. Staying with friends again 7/30-8/2 and seeing Alanis Morissette (I am  going to see Liz Phair and Garbage since I've not ever had the opportunity to see either to date) up the road in WA on the 31st. No other plans as of yet.

Is seeing Alanis punishment for getting to see Liz/Garbage?  Cuz it feels like it probably is.

• Thinking 1
1 minute ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Is seeing Alanis punishment for getting to see Liz/Garbage?  Cuz it feels like it probably is.

She's not someone I ever really paid much attention to so I will endure. We have lawn seats so I guess I can just go and wander around or something. I remember going to a Weezer show because I wanted to see the Pixies (hi Tanner) open up. The Wombats weren't bad either tbh. We made it about 4 songs into the Weezer set and left. Time well spent imo.

17 hours ago, Osaurus said:

She's not someone I ever really paid much attention to so I will endure. We have lawn seats so I guess I can just go and wander around or something. I remember going to a Weezer show because I wanted to see the Pixies (hi Tanner) open up. The Wombats weren't bad either tbh. We made it about 4 songs into the Weezer set and left. Time well spent imo.

Many years ago I went to a Foreigner concert because Joe Walsh was opening. Left about 30 minutes into Foreigner's set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shoulder verdict: "Impingement Syndrome."  Reading up on it....sounds a whole helluva a lot like frozen shoulder.

Referral with ortho in two weeks, "Do these exercises and take some Meloxicam in the interim.:   Yay.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Shoulder verdict: "Impingement Syndrome."  Reading up on it....sounds a whole helluva a lot like frozen shoulder.

Referral with ortho in two weeks, "Do these exercises and take some Meloxicam in the interim.:   Yay.

get you some weed salve.

• Like 1

We adopted a new dog to keep our older dachshund company (new boy on the left here).  

Something I noticed and am curious about, and this seems as good a place as any on the internet to ask.  Our older dog  (Chip) is 12 and was already neutered when we got him 11 years ago. The new dog (Prince) is about 6 and was just neutered last week, right before we adopted him.  Prince is swinging a pretty good size sac, while Chip has pretty much nothing back there. 

Is that just a function of the age when each was snipped? Or has the process changed over the past 10 years where they're leaving more of the equipment?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Is that just a function of the age when each was snipped? Or has the process changed over the past 10 years where they're leaving more of the equipment?

That’s a good looking pup!

My dogs sack shrunk over time. Almost like he slowly realized he no longer had any jewels to hold. 

• Thanks 1

I've been working with a woman named Dawn the last six months. We are now working with a consultant named Don. Hijinx-palooza. I've got nobody else to share this with.

• Like 7
  • Laughing 5
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I've been working with a woman named Dawn the last six months. We are now working with a consultant named Don. Hijinx-palooza. I've got nobody else to share this with.

We're here for you.   

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

One of my fave things to do now when I meet either one of these is to ask them if it rhymes with the other one. Please report back your findings.

10 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

One of my fave things to do now when I meet either one of these is to ask them if it rhymes with the other one. Please report back your findings.

I did.

It was amazing.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2
On 4/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, 5-ish Finkle said:

SOKA is now accepting drive ups.  no appointment needed.  very smooth operation. saturday seems to be their busiest day.