Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

18 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What exactly have I said that makes you think I'm misreading it?

46 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I have zero interest in arguing but that floored me

Well...maybe a little interest.

I don't like the new emoji, so I'll just write- WINK

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What exactly have I said that makes you think I'm misreading it?

It seems like you are interpreting “news source” as this being a place where news is generated when Woz and other (like myself) are using “news source” as a place where we find out about the news of the day (like a news aggregator).  There’s a huge difference, IMO. 

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

It seems like you are interpreting “news source” as this being a place where news is generated when Woz and other (like myself) are using “news source” as a place where we find out about the news of the day (like a news aggregator).  There’s a huge difference, IMO. 

What exactly did I say that makes you think that?  

All I said was that I was floored.

The poster wrote

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events.

Then later said that wasn't what he meant. :shrug: 

But I've said very little other than I was floored. I find it interesting you think I'm misreading something when I haven't said much. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What exactly did I say that makes you think that?  

All I said was that I was floored.

The poster wrote

Then later said that wasn't what he meant. :shrug: 

But I've said very little other than I was floored. 

I said it seems to me - but since I’m apparently wrong then I’m shocked that you are shocked - you know how much time we spend here, seems natural we would find out about world events here.

You seem kind of confrontational on this or maybe I’m misinterpreting it but either way using FBGs as a news aggregator seems totally reasonable to me.  I’ll bow out now.

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

I said it seems to me - but since I’m apparently wrong then I’m shocked that you are shocked - you know how much time we spend here, seems natural we would find out about world events here.

You seem kind of confrontational on this or maybe I’m misinterpreting it but either way using FBGs as a news aggregator seems totally reasonable to me.  I’ll bow out now.

Thanks. Not confrontational in the least. You said I was misreading this and I asked what I'd said to make you think that as I'd said very little on it other than say I was floored by some of the responses.:shrug: 

26 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Excellent point. How good is TMZ as a news aggregator? 

it's a bunch of useless drivel for the most part.  they definitely fill in the edges beyond the main stream media. and if it's on TMZ, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's true.

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I think you are both misreading it.  We don’t come to FBGs for actual news but use it as a news aggregator - huge difference.

No, I know/understand exactly what people are saying. Maybe appalled was an unfair wording/reaction by me. I don’t mean it to be condescending or anything. But shocked is still my biggest reaction.

The more I think about it, I do kind of understand crowd sourcing your news input. For a lot of people, they use social media (probably Reddit being among the most popular for news) to crowd source their news input so I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that people would use an Internet forum to do the same.

5 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

No, I know/understand exactly what people are saying. Maybe appalled was an unfair wording/reaction by me. I don’t mean it to be condescending or anything. But shocked is still my biggest reaction.

The more I think about it, I do kind of understand crowd sourcing your news input. For a lot of people, they use social media (probably Reddit being among the most popular for news) to crowd source their news input so I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that people would use an Internet forum to do the same.

To me it makes perfect sense - generally speaking, we are a bunch of middle aged white dudes that live in the US.  Rarely do I hear about a big story that I care about that isn’t posted here.

roverkid just completed her early admission application to NYU Tisch (film school).   

if she gets admitted, she has to accept and can't apply anywhere else in the meantime.   if she doesn't get in, the rest of her applications are due in January.    she's got a pretty fair shot at getting accepted, which also means I've got a fair shot at being broke in 5 years.   

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

48 minutes ago, -fish- said:

roverkid just completed her early admission application to NYU Tisch (film school).   

if she gets admitted, she has to accept and can't apply anywhere else in the meantime.   if she doesn't get in, the rest of her applications are due in January.    she's got a pretty fair shot at getting accepted, which also means I've got a fair shot at being broke in 5 years.   

It's a great school in a great location, but why can't she apply anywhere else?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RC94 said:

It's a great school in a great location, but why can't she apply anywhere else?

Early admission. If she's accepted, shes obligated to go there. But not sure why she can't work on the rest of her applications just in case...?

@-fish- when does she find out?

15 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Early admission. If she's accepted, shes obligated to go there. But not sure why she can't work on the rest of her applications just in case...?

@-fish- when does she find out?

She can work on other applications, but she can't have any other applications pending.   

I don't know when she finds out.   I should probably find out.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mr. furley said:

do they arrest kids who back out of their commitment? 

Yes.

There was discussion about this in the college applications thread...I don't recall the deal, but iirc the schools share who is applying early admissions. Could be that kids who do multiple applications get 86ed.

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Yes.

There was discussion about this in the college applications thread...I don't recall the deal, but iirc the schools share who is applying early admissions. Could be that kids who do multiple applications get 86ed.

wow. what a ####### awful country this is.

seriously. that's absurdist theater.

• Like 3

Just now, mr. furley said:

wow. what a ####### awful country this is.

seriously. that's absurdist theater.

So if everybody applies everywhere early admission...what's the point exactly?

Just now, El Floppo said:

So if everybody applies everywhere early admission...what's the point exactly?

well, i thought it was to get in to college? 

college isn't enough of a financial racket already? they have to control kids possibilities by saying "you only get to apply here and we'll put your life possibilities on hold until we're ready and you'll like it"? then if they reject you but you couldn't apply to the other schools you wanted... well.... #### em, i guess?

rubs me the wrong way

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mr. furley said:

well, i thought it was to get in to college? 

college isn't enough of a financial racket already? they have to control kids possibilities by saying "you only get to apply here and we'll put your life possibilities on hold until we're ready and you'll like it"? then if they reject you but you couldn't apply to the other schools you wanted... well.... #### em, i guess?

rubs me the wrong way

I readily admit I could have all of this completely wrong...and should probably move the converaation to the college thread.

But my understanding of early admissions is that it gives kids a better chance of getting in somewhere ...less applicants, and because they're committing to going there if they get in. Win win. If it's just normal application without any commitment or incentive- for the college or the kid- what's the point?

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I readily admit I could have all of this completely wrong...and should probably move the converaation to the college thread.

But my understanding of early admissions is that it gives kids a better chance of getting in somewhere ...less applicants, and because they're committing to going there if they get in. Win win. If it's just normal application without any commitment or incentive- for the college or the kid- what's the point?

if one is smart enough, rich enough or whatever, to apply to a prestigious school, that is hard to get into, one would assume they are smart and rich enough or whatever, to apply to other hard to get into schools.  to my plebian eye, this looks like nyu holding baby fish hostage while they decide if she's worthy, or if fish's bank account is big enough.  so if they say no, then what?  WSU?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

if one is smart enough, rich enough or whatever, to apply to a prestigious school, that is hard to get into, one would assume they are smart and rich enough or whatever, to apply to other hard to get into schools.  to my plebian eye, this looks like nyu holding baby fish hostage while they decide if she's worthy, or if fish's bank account is big enough.  so if they say no, then what?  WSU?

NYU Tisch has a 28% acceptance rate.   Early admission raises that to 38%.   The trade off is that she can't apply anywhere else until she gets a decision.   For them, they are processing applications from potential students that are committed to their school, which seems better than processing applications from students who have 10 other schools they're applying to and may not go there even if they're accepted.   

NYU is roverkid's #1 choice by a large margin.   If she doesn't get in, she has 7 others that she can apply to in January.

And no daughter of mine will ever be a Coug.   

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had to put my dog down tonight.   He was 15 and declining pretty badly, so it was coming sooner or later, he had a pretty bad seizure out of the blue and hadn’t been eating the last few days so we just decided not to drag it out any longer 

• Love 1
  • Sad 16

2 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Had to put my dog down tonight.   He was 15 and declining pretty badly, so it was coming sooner or later, he had a pretty bad seizure out of the blue and hadn’t been eating the last few days so we just decided not to drag it out any longer 

:(

Sorry Dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

😭 😭😭

Dogs are way better than people.  Way. Better.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Sorry GB, such a hard thing to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I'm sorry, GB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Sorry Dan.  That's tough.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fatness said:

Wait. NYU Tisch arrests people?

it's an international conglomerate of secret spies. and they don't mess around.

what else are they going to do- not like these kids get actual jobs once they finish.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

50 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

it's an international conglomerate of secret spies. and they don't mess around.

what else are they going to do- not like these kids get actual jobs once they finish.

:hot:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

36 minutes ago, -fish- said:

:hot:

sorry gb :lol:

I've known a lot of Tisch kids- from HS friends to recent students that we've used as baby-sitters. none of them are in the field they studied. Real-estate, teaching, yoga, wall-street, kids soccer (no soccer background) etc... seemed like they got good educations that they put to use in other fields.

18 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I'm sorry, GB.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done, by far.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

sorry gb :lol:

I've known a lot of Tisch kids- from HS friends to recent students that we've used as baby-sitters. none of them are in the field they studied. Real-estate, teaching, yoga, wall-street, kids soccer (no soccer background) etc... seemed like they got good educations that they put to use in other fields.

Plus, they're probably some of the people who puke on your doorstep.

I hurt my back and had to do physical therapy, but I had to burn through my deductible before the insurance company would pay for most of it.  Of course shortly after I was done with the deductible, insurance decided I had improved enough and cut it off.  My back still hurts a lot all the time.  Since I had to go through the deductible first, most of it was completely out of pocket for me.  I just paid that bill to the physical therapy company, and it was painful.  I think I need to go to physical therapy again.

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I hurt my back and had to do physical therapy, but I had to burn through my deductible before the insurance company would pay for most of it.  Of course shortly after I was done with the deductible, insurance decided I had improved enough and cut it off.  My back still hurts a lot all the time.  Since I had to go through the deductible first, most of it was completely out of pocket for me.  I just paid that bill to the physical therapy company, and it was painful.  I think I need to go to physical therapy again.

Sorry about your back. Back pain sucks.

Almost as much as our healthcare system, which is fubar.

I have a type of asthma that one very specific medicine has kept at check. Of course my usual crap insurance won't cover it, and they give me another similar medicine that doesn't work. When I've tried to explain this to them, their response is- it's similar medicine, so it works. Uh.... No. As a result, I have to load up at the farmacias when we go for our annual trip to Mexico.

That's our healthcare system in a nutshell. Being forced to pay out of pocket for PT and then being denied the PT once you hit your deductible, and needing to buy medicine in other countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1