What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (13 Viewers)

So am organic farmers market sells stuff that they grow in the dirt by planting seeds and don't add any stuff to keep the bugs off or make it bigger or taste better. It's basically just having some land and taking the time to pick it when it's ripe. And you get slightly buggy slightly smaller food that tastes almost as good.

Why does that cost more than if the same farmer buys a bunch of extra stuff to make the food bigger and better and bug free?
Fred, where'd you say you were from?
That was hard to read...could be the beer talking but still.

5 gallons each of an American Amber and a Porter fermenting after a Saturday brew day at Casa Uruk. We taste-tested the Tripel and the Stout yesterday - neither carbed well. I'm guessing having them prime in my basement at a cooler temp depressed the carbonation somewhat. I brought them upstairs to see if that'll goose them a little. Sound right, heck? Still tasted good, though.

My NASA-approved crock pot is getting fired up today. Someone posted a recipe for a Southwestern Two Bean Chicken in the crock pot thread here that looks both good and simple enough that even I can't #### it up.

My wife and I started to do the beer brewing last night. We have a little kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop.

I'll save you the trouble....it sucks. Don't do it. It's a long, drawn out process and you are constantly checking temperatures, stirring, etc. It sucks.

I guess it's cool to see how it's done...once...but it's not worth doing on a regular basis (assuming you are doing small batches....maybe more worthwhile in large batches).

some things never change. me i'm strange, on another plain. constant motion. no coasting. no gears. no fear. floating.
Plane.
He's outstanding in his plain.
This is by my house. I love this time of year because I can walk through the field, and then through the woods, about 3/4 mile, to my house. Great feeling being out in the middle of nowhere.
404 Not Found
Well, he did say it was in the middle of nowhere.

5 gallons each of an American Amber and a Porter fermenting after a Saturday brew day at Casa Uruk. We taste-tested the Tripel and the Stout yesterday - neither carbed well. I'm guessing having them prime in my basement at a cooler temp depressed the carbonation somewhat. I brought them upstairs to see if that'll goose them a little. Sound right, heck? Still tasted good, though.

My NASA-approved crock pot is getting fired up today. Someone posted a recipe for a Southwestern Two Bean Chicken in the crock pot thread here that looks both good and simple enough that even I can't #### it up.
Yeah, a little higher temp will probably get the yeast roused up again, and at this point, you don't really need to worry about higher temps, as there's not enough fermentation going on to create off-flavors. How long since you bottled? It could take a couple weeks to carbonate, especially at cooler temps.

Yeah, a little higher temp will probably get the yeast roused up again, and at this point, you don't really need to worry about higher temps, as there's not enough fermentation going on to create off-flavors. How long since you bottled? It could take a couple weeks to carbonate, especially at cooler temps.
Bottled two weeks ago.

I've never had a bottle explode, so I'm think I may try priming them on a closet shelf in my office (JINX!) where it's low 70s instead of the basement where it's 10 degrees cooler. I actually like less carbonation - especially after having my gall bladder removed - but I know most are used to it. We give away almost as much as we drink, so how others react to our brew is always in the back of my mind.

Bottled two weeks ago.

I've never had a bottle explode, so I'm think I may try priming them on a closet shelf in my office (JINX!) where it's low 70s instead of the basement where it's 10 degrees cooler. I actually like less carbonation - especially after having my gall bladder removed - but I know most are used to it. We give away almost as much as we drink, so how others react to our brew is always in the back of my mind.
The final carbonation depends on how much priming sugar you use, and to a lesser extent the amount of headspace you leave in the bottles when you cap them. The only difference temperature will make is how long it takes to reach the final carbonation level. Exploding bottles usually happen when people get impatient and bottle before the original fermentation is complete (or use way too much priming sugar).

If you want to keep some with lower carbonation, put them in a cold fridge when they get where you like it. That will slow things down enough that they won't carbonate much more before you drink them.

I don't think it's fair that no one tells you in advance how much of a pain in the ### kids are. And they definitely don't tell you how the curve of going from 1 to 2 is exponentially worse than just having 1. I'm pretty much at that point where when I am home, one of the other humans in the house needs me to do something for them or is complaining that I'm not doing something for them. I can't even imagine what 3 kids is like.

4 seems like it would be way past the point of sanity.

Can you imagine people with 5 kids? Seriously?

I don't think it's fair that no one tells you in advance how much of a pain in the ### kids are. And they definitely don't tell you how the curve of going from 1 to 2 is exponentially worse than just having 1. I'm pretty much at that point where when I am home, one of the other humans in the house needs me to do something for them or is complaining that I'm not doing something for them. I can't even imagine what 3 kids is like.

Wait till they are 16 and up - and driving, and staying out, and making bad decisions.

Wait till they are 16 and up - and driving, and staying out, and making bad decisions.
And listening to Grand Funk. Don't forget that.

And listening to Grand Funk. Don't forget that.
That is one of the best parts.

Abraham said:

1 is like a snack

2 is just right

3 and beyond, all hell breaks loose exponentially and you just hold on for the ride

Abraham said:

That's why no parent makes eye contact when they talk about how rewarding parenting is. They can't sell the lie.

Abraham said:

That's why no parent makes eye contact when they talk about how rewarding parenting is. They can't sell the lie.
I posted here a while back about the whole kid thing and got some great feedback, mostly from furley who brought up the fact that women who have had babies are, on the whole, terrible to expectant mothers. It's awesome that you bring life into this world and this and that but it SUCKS. You don't sleep, your hormones are a mess, your body is weird. Then they get a little older. Still not sleeping through the night, want a bottle. Oh, you want to climb out of your crib? Fantastic. Right in line with your baby brother being born.

Baby brother? Remember when Lloyd wanted to do the most annoying sound in the world? I'm no baby maimer, but damn. Now the kid eats 3-4 eggs and 2 sausages (and maybe a piece of toast) every day. He's 17 months old.

Abraham said:

I posted here a while back about the whole kid thing and got some great feedback, mostly from furley who brought up the fact that women who have had babies are, on the whole, terrible to expectant mothers. It's awesome that you bring life into this world and this and that but it SUCKS. You don't sleep, your hormones are a mess, your body is weird. Then they get a little older. Still not sleeping through the night, want a bottle. Oh, you want to climb out of your crib? Fantastic. Right in line with your baby brother being born. Baby brother? Remember when Lloyd wanted to do the most annoying sound in the world? I'm no baby maimer, but damn. Now the kid eats 3-4 eggs and 2 sausages (and maybe a piece of toast) every day. He's 17 months old.
Someday they be changing your diaper so it all works out

Users who are viewing this thread