What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

are you familiar with the works of Andy Kaufman?
this explains everything.

ok- I'm a convert.

eta: plus... pretty in awe of the dedication. now I'm curious about the other characters being played... but because I like the schtick, I don't think I really want to know which aliases they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
So back to food chat. Due to my discovery of Serious Eats and the Spice House I have now found out how enjoyable making all different styles of pizza is. I have been able to make a good Neapolitan and Sicilian (thicker crust) crust. Make the sauce from scratch with very good results. Next up this weekend is a Chicago style deep dish/pan. No pizza oven since we don't have K4 money or room but a pizza stone and a 550+ degree oven offer a good enough alternative.

So back to food chat. Due to my discovery of Serious Eats and the Spice House I have now found out how enjoyable making all different styles of pizza is. I have been able to make a good Neapolitan and Sicilian (thicker crust) crust. Make the sauce from scratch with very good results. Next up this weekend is a Chicago style deep dish/pan. No pizza oven since we don't have K4 money or room but a pizza stone and a 550+ degree oven offer a good enough alternative.
I have a pretty awesome deep dish receipe if you want me to post.

IMO, the sauce and using sliced cheese is essential.

DOUGH INGREDIENTS

• 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

SAUCE INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 of a small onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes 
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon oil

OTHER INGREDIENTS

• 8 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

DOUGH DIRECTIONS

1. In your food processor with the dough blade attached, or in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast. 
  2. Add in melted butter and water and mix for several minutes until the dough is smooth. Knead dough by hand if you are not able to obtain a smooth consistency after 4-5 minutes.
  3. When the dough is smooth, line a bowl with olive oil, then place the dough in the bowl. Loosely cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise for about an hour.
  4. Lightly flour your work surface or use a non-stick mat and turn the dough onto it. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 15 by 12 inch rectangle. 
  5. Spread 4 tablespoons of butter over the rectangle of dough.
  6. Starting at the short end, roll the dough into a log.
  7. Flatten the log of dough into an 18 by 4 inch rectangle using the rolling pin and your hands.
  8. Cut the 18 x 4 inch rectangle of dough into 2- 9 inch pieces.
  9. Fold each piece of dough into thirds, then pinch the seems together to form a ball of dough. Place both balls of dough in the refrigerator for about 40 minutes so that the butter can firm up.
  10. While the dough is in the fridge, make the sauce (directions below), and grate the cheese.
  11. After the dough has rested in the fridge for 40 minutes, roll each piece into a 13 inch circle.
  12. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.

SAUCE DIRECTIONS

1. In a large saucepan melt butter. Then add in onion and cook the onion until it is translucent. 
  2. Stir in garlic, and cook for a minute or two.
  3. Add in salt, oregano, sugar, and crushed tomatoes.
  4. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. When the sauce has reduced and there is only about 2 1/2 cups remaining, stir in basil and olive oil. Remove from heat.

ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS

1. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with a bit of olive oil. You are making two 9-inch pizzas.
  2. Arrange each 13-inch circle of dough in a cake pan, using your fingers to push the dough up along the sides.
  3. Top the dough with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, then add 1 1/4 cups sauce, per pie. 
  4. Add any toppings you’d like, then top with 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese.
  5. Bake the pizzas on the middle-rack for 20-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Allow the pizzas to cool for about 5-10 minutes, then slice and enjoy! This recipe makes 2 9-inch pizzas that will serve 4-6 people.

I have a pretty awesome deep dish receipe if you want me to post.

IMO, the sauce and using sliced cheese is essential.
Please post the recipe. The plan is to use the sliced mozzarella, plus using shredded on the edge to get all crisp and burnt like Pequod's. Recipe I am using is going to be similar to this:

2 1/4 bread flour (I want to toy with using some 00 type but not for the first run)

3/4 warm water

4 Tbsp Olive Oil

1/2 tsp dry yeast

1/4 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

Will then use dry sliced mozzarella and my homemade sauce.

Please post the recipe. The plan is to use the sliced mozzarella, plus using shredded on the edge to get all crisp and burnt like Pequod's. Recipe I am using is going to be similar to this:

2 1/4 bread flour (I want to toy with using some 00 type but not for the first run)

3/4 warm water

4 Tbsp Olive Oil

1/2 tsp dry yeast

1/4 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

Will then use dry sliced mozzarella and my homemade sauce.
I posted above......cornmeal and butter are key for the crust IMO.  you can tweak, but it comes out pretty awesome.  obviously, dough, cheese, sauce then toppings. 

but you are the Chicago guy.....

I posted above......cornmeal and butter are key for the crust IMO.  you can tweak, but it comes out pretty awesome.  obviously, dough, cheese, sauce then toppings. 

but you are the Chicago guy.....
Yeah that looks like it's very similar to Lou's, and while I like the crust I prefer Peqoud's (thanks Rude!) crust. Since it's pretty easy to do I will be tweaking and trying different things all fall and winter. I may make one like yours and the one I posted....see what we like better.

ETA And thanks for posting!

every... 6'ish weeks or so my freezer leaks enough water in to the bottom shelf to create varying ice thickness. from 1/8" to 1/2" give or take. pounding it out with a mallet takes about 1 minute. 

this makes my wife insane with rage.

not the mallet. the ice. 

water dripping in the freezer indicates a mechanical problem. instead of calling a service tech, we're buying a new fridge.

goodbye $1800 

Yeah that looks like it's very similar to Lou's, and while I like the crust I prefer Peqoud's (thanks Rude!) crust. Since it's pretty easy to do I will be tweaking and trying different things all fall and winter. I may make one like yours and the one I posted....see what we like better.

ETA And thanks for posting!
Worked in a pizza place decades ago.   Chicago Style, more or less.  We did a whole wheat crust.  Basically we used about 1/8th whole wheat flour to white. It was very nice, paired up particularly well with mushrooms.  When we would make one for ourselves we would toss in a tablespoon of rye flour as well.  We would let it rise three times, punching it down and chilling a bit between each rise to give it just a hint of sourness to the dough.  It was great.  We also built it dough, sliced moz, sauce, toppings, shredded cheese (80% mox/20% prov).  The bottom layer of cheese, and it was an uninterrupted layer, kept the dough heavy and chewy.  Some folks thought the dough was not completely cooked when they bit in and saw the look, but they soon came to love the cheese melted into the dough.

every... 6'ish weeks or so my freezer leaks enough water in to the bottom shelf to create varying ice thickness. from 1/8" to 1/2" give or take. pounding it out with a mallet takes about 1 minute. 

this makes my wife insane with rage.

not the mallet. the ice. 

water dripping in the freezer indicates a mechanical problem. instead of calling a service tech, we're buying a new fridge.

goodbye $1800 
Ice Dams:  We're Everywhere (TM)

In my experience, performance art is neither
Pretty much.

You know who else was a performance artist? Gonzo from the Muppet Show.  Has this Neslon character ever eaten any engine blocks/car tires/etc while the "Hallelujah" chorus was being skywritten backwards overhead?  Cuz even when Gonzo did that it wasn't very interesting....and Gonzo was pretty great.

this explains everything.

ok- I'm a convert.

eta: plus... pretty in awe of the dedication. now I'm curious about the other characters being played... but because I like the schtick, I don't think I really want to know which aliases they are.

You can probably make some very educated guesses already, depending on how meta about the FFA you want to be.

GM > I'm with you on fantasy football.  It enhances my enjoyment of the NFL, which is already substantial.  However, I used to live and die by my fantasy teams, track them in real time while I watched the games, and so forth, and now I hardly ever do that.  Instead, I check out how I'm doing once the games are over.  I enjoy the roster management part more than actually worrying about whether a dude is going to get five more yards, etc.  I have survivor pools for that sort of anguish/enjoyment.  And I get what everyone's saying about the disenchantment.  It's a sport where billionaires pay millionaires to compete, and many loathsome personalities are in play.  But there are few human endeavors devoid of money and loathsome personalities.  :shrug:  

I could drop my leagues if I needed to, but for the moment I quite like them.  Oh, and IDP (which I started playing a few years ago) is fantastic.  Adds such a new dimension.  Props to Aaron for a good entry in an FBG mock including IDPs that I looked at a few days ago, in which Jene and a few other notables also participated.  I learned a lot from looking at that one.    

How do you guys like your brazinketsongs?  Do you toyellahmadder them?  Coat them with incrusers?  

My favorite way to prepare brazinketsongs is to marinade them in mix of willic and aponal (with just a hint of strele if I'm feeling crazy).

Of course you could pillindenonize them like with egyptaphoters or complands.   But I think that makes them too acomely.

But GTFO if you even think of serving them with muddiscutly.  This isn't some 3rd world country.

Love the Spice House.

How do you guys like your brazinketsongs?  Do you toyellahmadder them?  Coat them with incrusers?  

My favorite way to prepare brazinketsongs is to marinade them in mix of willic and aponal (with just a hint of strele if I'm feeling crazy).

Of course you could pillindenonize them like with egyptaphoters or complands.   But I think that makes them too acomely.

But GTFO if you even think of serving them with muddiscutly.  This isn't some 3rd world country.
Excerpt from How To Cook A Jabberwock?

Muldiscutly is perfectly fine, as long as you toyellahmadder them.

huh. speaking of FF... the league I've been in for 20 years... doesn't appear to be happening. or at least, they don't seem to be emailing me to join.

now I'm just down to a long-standing die-nasty league.

proninja said:
Mayo: homemade mayo is delicious. Store bought stuff is tolerable. But making it fresh with a little mustard, lemon juice, and garlic is great.
Home made mayo is the best. I especially like to make it with avocado oil. Pro tip- add a little bit of sugar dissolved in water at the end to change it from dingy yellow to white.

Cook 'em however you want.  When you're done, throw them in the garbage.  That shizz is disgusting.  I bet raccoons wouldn't even eat it.

Speaking of bad food and magic football...It seems I keep getting dust in my eyes when I read about that FSU WR sitting with that autistic kid at lunch.  I hope that FSU WR ends up more E.G. Green than Craphonso Thorpe.
caught half this story on the radio yesterday. had to turn it off and walk away. i can't imagine walking in to my kids lunch room and seeing them sitting at a table by themselves.  

####### kids are the worst

proninja said:
I can't get this to go away, disregard please. Neat board. 

Mayo: homemade mayo is delicious. Store bought stuff is tolerable. But making it fresh with a little mustard, lemon juice, and garlic is great. 

Redmond: good luck with the move. Where's the new place? Username change in the works? 

Sidenote: getting divorced in a depressed real estate market and keeping the house for the win
The new place is just out Avondale road from your old office. One right after the turn to Bear Creek CC.

caught half this story on the radio yesterday. had to turn it off and walk away. i can't imagine walking in to my kids lunch room and seeing them sitting at a table by themselves.  

####### kids are the worst
The picture of Rudolph sitting down with the kid got me pretty good 'in the feels' as they say.  Autistic boy has flaming red hair to boot.  Rudolph offered the kid his cell phone number too, so I take back all the bad things I ever said about FSU and @Capella.

Users who are viewing this thread