What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (14 Viewers)

Oh I misread. That vote was for what they played when we marched up to graduation.
True story:  For some reason we had to pick a "class graduation song".  They were going to play it right in the middle of the graduation ceremony.  IIRC, a few people from the band and choir would sing/play the verses and then the entire class would sing the chorus.   Corny as hell but whatever.

The song they MADE us pick was horrid.  I just spent 5 minutes trying to remember the actual title but couldn't come up with it.  It had something to do with "friends"...it wasn't "that's what friends are for" or "thank you for being a friend" but very, very close.  Nobody had ever heard of the song before and it sure as hell didn't chart. 

This is what almost everybody voted for 

The powers that be deemed it inappropriate.  IT WAS A CATHOLIC SCHOOL.  Half of the people in auditorium were going to be #### faced by the end of the night.

:lmao:   JFC...

My sister has a couple of nieces via her late husband.  These girls are identical twins.  I mean 99.9% identical.  I can't even tell them apart and I've known them all their lives.

Today is their 21st birthday. 

So my sister posts on Facebook today "Happy 21st to my lovely nieces, Allison and Grace!"  She also posted a very recent pic of the two girls...looking totally identical of course.

One of my distant female cousins comments "Beautiful girls, are they twins?"

wtf

I've been in Vegas for 28 hours, and I'm so creaky I can barely walk. I can see this will require ever-larger amounts of booze to keep going. But the gambling is going well, so I will soldier on. Four more nights to go.
You on any sports bets Kev?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep Austin weird!!!
Austin required that uber drivers would need to be fingerprinted. There is a strong cabbie association here and I'm sure that helped it pass. But I feel it's certainly a reasonable request by a city to try to help ensure the safety of their citizens. It would have only been a minor inconvenience for uber in the grand scheme of things, but they did not want any precedent of a city telling them in any way how to run their business. I am proud of my city for not yielding on this. Not that I think fingerprinting is so crucial, but that a corporation cannot come into my town and tell us how things are going to be. 

It was homecoming week at my stepson's high school and apparently the theme of each day was a different decade - starting with the 50's: FIFTY YEARS before these kids were born. WTF?

I'm not sure how they embodied the 50's last Monday. I'm speculating they walked around accusing people of being communists and wouldn't let the black kids eat in the cafeteria.

Hash House a Go Go. I'm a little swirly right now. But my traditional East Fremont bar crawl awaits, where I walk ten blocks down to Atomic Liquors and drink my way back to the canopy. It was a run. 
Hash House was disappointing last year. Took forever to get our food and it was cold. Yardbird FTW this year. 

If if you see the two guys on Fremont dressed like Kiss in blue thongs with ginormous junk tell em facook says hey.

Austin required that uber drivers would need to be fingerprinted. There is a strong cabbie association here and I'm sure that helped it pass. But I feel it's certainly a reasonable request by a city to try to help ensure the safety of their citizens. It would have only been a minor inconvenience for uber in the grand scheme of things, but they did not want any precedent of a city telling them in any way how to run their business. I am proud of my city for not yielding on this. Not that I think fingerprinting is so crucial, but that a corporation cannot come into my town and tell us how things are going to be. 
#### that. Ed Kargbo from Yellow Cab is the chair of the transportation committee for the Chamber of Commerce. So the blind self interest of the taxi lobby won. There was no bold stand for civic independence.

Back to my Austin trip and the homeless. We decided it would be a good idea to walk 6 blocks from 5th street to a food truck on 11th st. Then we got to 7th. It was like a refugee village over there and I'm pretty sure I was within 20 feet of Uni at some point.
Technically it's a homeless village, not a refugee village. The Austin Resource Center for the Homeless.

And we would all really like it if it wasn't downtown so that we weren't confronted by the poors when getting our drink on.

dumb

Sconch said:
Their cheese biscuits are great or so I've heard.
Whataburger's Jalepeno Cheese Biscuit with egg sausage and cheese might be the best tasting thing ever. I wish it was not so.  I yearn for one every morning./

bentley said:
#### that. Ed Kargbo from Yellow Cab is the chair of the transportation committee for the Chamber of Commerce. So the blind self interest of the taxi lobby won. There was no bold stand for civic independence.
I live in this city, read the papers, listened at city hall, and voted in the election. How do you think the self interest of the taxi lobby was greater than the self interest of UBER? 

Portland kept Uber et all out for a while, long after surrounding areas like Beaverton allowed it.  I'm sure a greased palm or two went on behind the scenes because all of Portland is now Uber friendly.  As a consumer of both Lyft/Uber and of Taxi Cabs, there is no question about which I prefer and it's the former all day (or more appropriately 'night') long.

I live in this city, read the papers, listened at city hall, and voted in the election. How do you think the self interest of the taxi lobby was greater than the self interest of UBER? 
The self interest of Uber happens to align with things like free markets and consumer choice. The self interest of the cab  lobby made Austin a national joke. The Notre Dame game was a ####show because thousands of out of town guests had no good transportation options. ACL is going to be ten times worse.

proninja said:
From the sounds of it, one self interest had the power of government behind it 
That's certainly the way UBER has painted it. But actually this was the people of a city voting and winning despite being outspent almost 20-1 by corporate interests. 

The term "unprecedented" is abused and overused in politics, but two corporations – General Motors-backed Lyft, and Uber (with investment from Google Ventures and Chinese search engine firm Baidu) – attempting to overturn an Austin city policy is unprecedented. Tonight, Austinites see if $9 million can swing a local election.
Look, I wish we had Uber. I like Uber. 

But for a fraction of what they spent on trying to buy the election, they could have fingerprinted their drivers as we requested/required.

But this was about principle. Uber did not want to relinquish any control to the city. Our city, like most, has always enjoyed a manner of control/regulation over public livery services.

This was a pissing match, but the little guy won. 

It should have never come to a public vote. Council adopted a stupid policy to benefit the cab companies. The public overwhelmingly brought a petition forward to overturn the action, then city staff twisted the language of the petition when they put it on the ballot, to benefit the cab companies. Then, the city's biggest business organization sat on the sidelines during the election to benefit the cab companies. Uber shot itself in the foot with the money they spent, but this was a victory for taxi cabs, not for the citizen or tourist that wants choice when getting around town safely.

That's certainly the way UBER has painted it. But actually this was the people of a city voting and winning despite being outspent almost 20-1 by corporate interests. 

Look, I wish we had Uber. I like Uber. 

But for a fraction of what they spent on trying to buy the election, they could have fingerprinted their drivers as we requested/required.

But this was about principle. Uber did not want to relinquish any control to the city. Our city, like most, has always enjoyed a manner of control/regulation over public livery services.

This was a pissing match, but the little guy won. 
The little guy won the right to pay more for transportation.  Is there any evidence that an Uber driver is more likely to assault someone than a taxi driver?

ETA: I believe Uber should fingerprint check their drivers.

:lmao:   JFC...

My sister has a couple of nieces via her late husband.  These girls are identical twins.  I mean 99.9% identical.  I can't even tell them apart and I've known them all their lives.

Today is their 21st birthday. 

So my sister posts on Facebook today "Happy 21st to my lovely nieces, Allison and Grace!"  She also posted a very recent pic of the two girls...looking totally identical of course.

One of my distant female cousins comments "Beautiful girls, are they twins?"

wtf
LOL.

When my twins were young, about 30% would ask if they were identical. We had a boy and a girl  :whoosh:

Users who are viewing this thread