What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

Run It Up said:
I like his frame and his shiftyness.

His pass catching and pass protection are valuable traits as well that will speed up his opportunity to get on the field.

I'd like to see him in NE.
Would be a good fit.

Rotoworld:

David Johnson - RB - Panthers

ESPN's Todd McShay is concerned by Northern Iowa RB David Johnson's workload in college.

"Any time a back has more than 800 college touches, you worry," McShay wrote. "Johnson had 1,007 in his career." The analyst is also concerned that Johnson doesn't run as big as his size would suggest. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash at the combine. "He just doesn't break as many tackles as you'd think, and he's a high-cut runner," McShay wrote. "But he's still adequate as a power back, and he is extremely effective in the passing game. He shows good feel and savvy as a route runner, can make some tough catches and is dangerous with the ball in his hands."

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 25 - 3:20 PM

Is that a legitimate concern for a college back?

I mean, maybe his wheels will wear down sooner, but do NFL teams actually care about that?

For the most part, everyone accepts that RBs have a shorter shelf life in FF circles. This doesn't bother me that much. If he didn't have that much experience some would be knocking him for lack of quality time in the backfield and so on.

Thats what I was thinking, does anyone in the NFL really draft a RB now and expect to get more than four years out of them?

(Rotoworld)Cardinals GM Steve Keim described No. 86 overall pick David Johnson as a "three-down back," and said Johnson could return kickoffs as a rookie.

Analysis: Johnson showed a distinct lack of inside running ability on college tape, but the Cardinals may believe he can improve in that area. Kickoffs would be a good place for Johnson to get his feet wet, as he has 4.5-flat speed and excels in the open field. Despite his size (6'1/224), Johnson runs like a scatback. That this is whom Arizona picked to bolster its backfield suggests Andre Ellington will return as the team's lead ball carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Rotoworld)Cardinals GM Steve Keim described No. 86 overall pick David Johnson as a "three-down back," and said Johnson could return kickoffs as a rookie.

Analysis: Johnson showed a distinct lack of inside running ability on college tape, but the Cardinals may believe he can improve in that area. Kickoffs would be a good place for Johnson to get his feet wet, as he has 4.5-flat speed and excels in the open field. Despite his size (6'1/224), Johnson runs like a scatback. That this is whom Arizona picked to bolster its backfield suggests Andre Ellington will return as the team's lead ball carrier.
Signs they are moving on from Ellington soon?

Analysis of this guy is all over the place. I don't think anyone is sold on Ellington long term. Seems like a great place for him.

I flip-flop on him when I watch his clips. He's got a bit of a high carriage and I don't think he runs hard or has much power for his weight, but he's undeniably a good athlete with active feet, fluid change of direction, and a quick explosive twitch. I think Ellington bombed pretty hard in his audition last year and I think DJ can push him from day one. I think he's a good option in the 12-15 range of rookie drafts. If his ADP is first round then I'll probably pass and let others take the gamble.

Odd pick by Zona. He doesnt fill the power back between the tackles need and a healthy Ellington does the same with much more explosion. A Roy Helu/Charles Sims isn't what the Cards needed.

A. I can't take any Rotoworld write up seriously. B. Ellington is 199 lbs with a 3.3 yards per carry average and still recovering from injury. How many 199 lb starting RBs are there in the NFL? The Cards needed a boost in the run game, and Ellington obviously is not the answer there. I know a lot of Ellington owners don't want to acknowledge this, but he is not the long or short term answer here, and certainly not in Arians' offense. He is strictly a CoP back who was fortunate to be the only back on the roster last year.

Give me the 224 lb guy with very good explosion and a demonstrated ability to catch the ball. The starting RB in AZ in Johnson's to lose. It cracks me up to see these things that he's going to be the CoP to Ellington...that cracks me up. This isn't college. There are big men playing on defense and big backs are a necessity in this league. I do expect a 50/50 split early on but its just a matter of time.

A. I can't take any Rotoworld write up seriously. B. Ellington is 199 lbs with a 3.3 yards per carry average and still recovering from injury. How many 199 lb starting RBs are there in the NFL? The Cards needed a boost in the run game, and Ellington obviously is not the answer there. I know a lot of Ellington owners don't want to acknowledge this, but he is not the long or short term answer here, and certainly not in Arians' offense. He is strictly a CoP back who was fortunate to be the only back on the roster last year.

Give me the 224 lb guy with very good explosion and a demonstrated ability to catch the ball. The starting RB in AZ in Johnson's to lose. It cracks me up to see these things that he's going to be the CoP to Ellington...that cracks me up. This isn't college. There are big men playing on defense and big backs are a necessity in this league. I do expect a 50/50 split early on but its just a matter of time.
Bahahahahahaha! It cracks me up when guys like you know better about a teams RB usage than the HC of that team!

Bahahahahahaha! It cracks me up when guys like you know better about a teams RB usage than the HC of that team!
Huh? Can't a guy have an opinion? I personally agree with him. David Johnson is a beast.

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/videos/Arians-says-Johnson-reminds-him-of-Matt-Forte/7dddda12-3a35-4b9f-9221-12dd51ee5af6

Take a look. I know this is a cut up version of the actual press conference (which I wish they wouldn't have done because they were less than optimistic about Ellington in the full length version), but after you watch this you can't deny that the coach and GM are genuinely excited to have him there. This was not a BPA pick. Let's see....220+ lbs every down back vs 199 lb RB with a 3.3 yd per carry average.

I know it's hard for Ellington owners and this might not be something you want to acknowledge right now, but rookie drafts are underway and Johnson is in a good position to succeed.

Eminence said:
JayJay328 said:

Huh? Can't a guy have an opinion? I personally agree with him. David Johnson is a beast.
The HC has said that Ellington will be a focal point of the offense before the draft. Now they draft a 3rd round RB and it's his job to lose? Again, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ETA - Johnson could very well come in and impress and steal that position away, such is pro sports, but his job to lose is a statement I can't help but laugh at.

Personally I have Johnson in my RB6-10 range for Dyno drafts.

Rookie RBs I have clearly ahead of Johnson in my upcoming rookie drafts

Gurley

Gordon

Yeldon

Coleman

Abdullah

Mixed in with

Ajayi

Johnson

Cobb

Allen

Jones

Rookie_Whisperer said:
JayJay328 said:

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/videos/Arians-says-Johnson-reminds-him-of-Matt-Forte/7dddda12-3a35-4b9f-9221-12dd51ee5af6Take a look. I know this is a cut up version of the actual press conference (which I wish they wouldn't have done because they were less than optimistic about Ellington in the full length version), but after you watch this you can't deny that the coach and GM are genuinely excited to have him there. This was not a BPA pick. Let's see....220+ lbs every down back vs 199 lb RB with a 3.3 yd per carry average.

I know it's hard for Ellington owners and this might not be something you want to acknowledge right now, but rookie drafts are underway and Johnson is in a good position to succeed.
That clip was very interesting. Helped me make my drafting decision. Thx.

The HC has said that Ellington will be a focal point of the offense before the draft. Now they draft a 3rd round RB and it's his job to lose? Again, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ETA - Johnson could very well come in and impress and steal that position away, such is pro sports, but his job to lose is a statement I can't help but laugh at.
As a (kind of still) Steelers fan, I'd advise you to take anything said by Bruce Arians with heaping piles of salt. He kind of just says whatever comes into his head at that moment.

Went 2.07 in my 12 team PPR dynasty (though we have a comp pick at 1.13, so that'd technically be 2.08 in most leagues).

12 team ppr, deep roster start 1-2 rbs.

I traded up (Tre Mason) to grab him at the 2.10.

"His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," NFL Films guru Greg Cosell told the Ross Tucker Football Podcast before the draft. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style."
Wrong

"His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," NFL Films guru Greg Cosell told the Ross Tucker Football Podcast before the draft. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style."
Wrong
Maybe he means Ron Dayne.

I'm usually a guy that doesn't reach for players, but this year I did... taking David Johnson at 1.10 in a 12-tm, 0.5 PPR league. I know I reached, but this league hoards RBs (largely due to a flex spot that allows starting up to 3 a given week) and I have a ton of young WR depth. --Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson, and Buck Allen all were selected within the six picks after I took David Johnson.

In the daily FBG email, they commented on Johnson signing his rookie deal and added their take in the quote below.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Johnson is a big back who can grind down opponents as the game goes on. He's a determined runner with an efficient style. Johnson's not going to break any ankles in the open field, but he can run through arm tackles consistently. He'll make for a power change-of-pace back behind Andre Ellington this year.
I found the FBG take to be interesting. I have read a lot on Johnson and most sources view him as something other than a power runner, despite having ideal size for such... Most see him as more of a RB that is solid/good at many facets (speed, receiving, blocking, etc.). The little I watched of him (disclaimer: I am no film expert), I came away impressed with his feet for his size and his jump cut.

Also, the video posted earlier in this thread of Arians and the ARI GM talking about Johnson was interesting, and indicated that this duo views Johnson as more than change-of-pace back, and instead something possibly similar to Forte (though probably wishful thinking and coach speak, yet there are size and skill set similarities, imo). They see him as a guy that they can bring into the game without changing up the offensive approach.

It will be interesting to see how the ARI RB situation plays out and how Johnson's skill set transfers to the NFL (coming from Northern Iowa).

In the daily FBG email, they commented on Johnson signing his rookie deal and added their take in the quote below.

Johnson is a big back who can grind down opponents as the game goes on. He's a determined runner with an efficient style. Johnson's not going to break any ankles in the open field, but he can run through arm tackles consistently. He'll make for a power change-of-pace back behind Andre Ellington this year.
I found the FBG take to be interesting. I have read a lot on Johnson and most sources view him as something other than a power runner, despite having ideal size for such... Most see him as more of a RB that is solid/good at many facets (speed, receiving, blocking, etc.). The little I watched of him (disclaimer: I am no film expert), I came away impressed with his feet for his size and his jump cut.

Also, the video posted earlier in this thread of Arians and the ARI GM talking about Johnson was interesting, and indicated that this duo views Johnson as more than change-of-pace back, and instead something possibly similar to Forte (though probably wishful thinking and coach speak, yet there are size and skill set similarities, imo). They see him as a guy that they can bring into the game without changing up the offensive approach.

It will be interesting to see how the ARI RB situation plays out and how Johnson's skill set transfers to the NFL (coming from Northern Iowa).
The FBG email "takes" are horribly wrong all too often. They border on the "exactly opposite" of what was written type of Orwellian wrong. But so does Roto.

Johnson might be just as good of a receiver as Ellington and is absolutely the better pass blocker - while as you said being good enough of an inside the tackles runner.

I think he will beat out Ellington sooner than later.

Now don't get me wrong, nobody is the next "insert player here", but Demarco Murray was labeled a change of pace back to Felix Jones when he was drafted. Turns out his body type and skill set translated well to the NFL when given the opportunity and health. Johnson didn't really have a chance to show any real power between the tackles due to that BS offense they ran where it seemed like his o-line was always playing on their heels and he had to dodge defensive players immediately when he took the ball as a hand off. I believe his skills, explosive numbers, and size will translate well in a conventional offense.

Rotoworld:

Rookie David Johnson opened OTAs as the Cardinals' No. 4 back behind Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor, Marion Grice, and Kerwynn Williams.

"He ain't getting sh-t yet," said coach Bruce Arians, referring to Johnson's standing on the depth chart. Eventually, Johnson is likely to emerge as the 1B to Ellington's 1A in the Arizona backfield. Arians spoke of increasing his usage of no-huddle offense this year, which could suit Johnson's receiving-first skill set. Johnson is a passing-down/H-back hybrid.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Jun 1 - 3:49 PM

Users who are viewing this thread