Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson RB Houston Texans

DJ looks great, but the hardest thing for a RB to do is be consistantly good week in and week out over an entire season, year in and year out. They take a beating.

Who knows if he can do it, lots of RB's have looked incredible over small samples.

He'll be one of the biggest high risk/high reward RB's in next years drafts. I'd be more comfortable investing a lot in him in redrafts than dynasties.

The list of small sample studs at RB looking incredible and then not being able to do it longterm is big.

• Like 1

I own both Gurley and DJ but can only keep one going into next year. At this point, I can't imagine keeping DJ over Gurley.

He's 7 points behind Gurley in scoring in my league playing half the snaps basically. You can't imagine keeping him over Gurley? They are both great RB's and I would hate to have that decision but it's at the very least close.

Yes, that's true, but he's had one fantastic game when there we're few other running options available to them. We don't know what his baseline is with this small sample size. I want to see how well he plays for the remainder of the season before I decide. Who know, DJ may convince me. For now, I will take the raw talent and resume of a fully healthy Gurley next year.

I own both Gurley and DJ but can only keep one going into next year. At this point, I can't imagine keeping DJ over Gurley.

He's 7 points behind Gurley in scoring in my league playing half the snaps basically. You can't imagine keeping him over Gurley? They are both great RB's and I would hate to have that decision but it's at the very least close.

Yes, that's true, but he's had one fantastic game when there we're few other running options available to them. We don't know what his baseline is with this small sample size. I want to see how well he plays for the remainder of the season before I decide. Who know, DJ may convince me. For now, I will take the raw talent and resume of a fully healthy Gurley next year.

Wait, so you're going to discount Johnson's good game, but count Gurley's best game?

And the "resume" of Gurley would be what? 11 starts, 3 very good games, 5 very bad games, and 3 average games.

Johnson, meanwhile has 3 starts, 1 very good game, 2 good games, and an entire season of very good production in part-time duty.

Seems odd that you are counting Gurley's resume as a plus, when Johnson's resume is just as strong, IMO.

Edited by Bayhawks

Wait, so you're going to discount Johnson's good game, but count Gurley's best game?

And the "resume" of Gurley would be what? 11 starts, 3 very good games, 5 very bad games, and 3 average games.

Johnson, meanwhile has 3 starts, 1 very good game, 2 good games, and an entire season of very good production in part-time duty.

Seems odd that you are counting Gurley's resume as a plus, when Johnson's resume is just as strong, IMO.

I never said I was discounting his great game. We WANT at kind of productivity. But I think it's impossible to sustain. I want to see what he does in a longer stretch of games. Let's see how this plays out. In the long run, I would prefer consistency than up and down games. We all know Gurleys talent level going back to college. We don't know what DJ is capable of yet. I'm just saying it's too soon to call.

Ok looking back at the points brought up previosly this is where I sit.

Gurley Pros:

Exceptional talent level

No competition

21 years old.

Cons:

Poor offense

Not highly involved in passing game

Injury history

Coaching staff

Rarely in the Red Zone

DJ Pros:

Top 10 potential

Consistent offensive play

Involved in passing game

Coaching staff

Gets Red Zone work

Cons:

Could share workload next year

Small body of work

24 years old

Dj College 866att 4682yds 5.4avg 49td 141rec 1734yds 12.3avg 14td

Tg College 510att 3286yds 6.4avg 36td 65rec 615yds 9.5avg 6td

Ok what I see is Gurley man be a bit more talented and he is 3 years younger. In dynasty that could mean a year or 2 more play time. In redraft it makes no difference at this point. As far as size goes they are both listed 6'1" and 225-230. Both have great college stats. I know most will point out that DJ played against lesser opponents but lets remember he had less talent around him at the time just as Gurley is dealing with now.

For those who say that Arizona is a train wreck without Palmer that basically makes them St Louis when he is out. The Rams need a QB now Cards will need one in the immediate future. I prefer the AZ coaching staff to STL, I know Fischer likes to use one back but in 21 years he has had 6 seasons above .500. That doesn't bode well for keeping your Rb involved in the game for 4 quarters.

Dj's situation looks much better in my eyes, I kinda feel like Gurley is set up in that Barry Sanders role and sadly he is no Sanders. I would have to say at this point barring an implosion ROS I would be looking at DJ before Gurley in redrafts next year and I would prob take him in Dynasty also. He could have 4 years of great production before Gurley gets an offense built around him to give him a fighting chance.

Edited by imjackdupp
  • Like 2

Why? Gurley is on a #### team with no future in sight while Arizona looks like it can be dominate for years. All things considerd I'll take the guy on an explosive team.

They're both awesome, silly argument.

I never said I was discounting his great game. We WANT at kind of productivity. But I think it's impossible to sustain. I want to see what he does in a longer stretch of games. Let's see how this plays out. In the long run, I would prefer consistency than up and down games. We all know Gurleys talent level going back to college. We don't know what DJ is capable of yet. I'm just saying it's too soon to call.
Fair enough. At this moment, I'd have Gurleu ahead of DJ too; bit I definitely feel Johnson has shown enough to have some confidence in his ability to sustain RB1 FF numbers (not 200 yards/3 TDs a week, but he's shown a nose for the end zone, catches the ball, seems to be getting the job done in pass pro, and has put up over 100 yards in each start.)

Some early takes in the thread by NFL talking heads.

Some good ones:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis believes Northern Iowa RB David Johnson is a "total mismatch" versus linebackers in the passing game.

"Other RB that got my attention-David Johnson at N. Iowa - former WR that runs with balance, control and Goes! Vs. LBs in pass game? Total mismatch," Davis tweeted. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson was highly productive for the Panthers, finishing his college career with 3,519 yards and 26 touchdowns. Last season, Johnson hauled in 24 receptions for 501 yards and five touchdowns. The Northern Iowa prospect could be the most reliable pass-catcher among this year's RB class.
Mar 3 - 4:02 PM

David Johnson - RB - Panthers

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson has the "lower-body strength to churn out yards between the tackles and the second gear to break longer runs when he gets room to build steam," writes Steve Muench of ESPN.

"He shows good patience setting up his blocks, and he doesn't waste time getting his shoulders north-south once he sees daylight," Muench wrote. "Plus, he's built to carry a heavy workload and stay healthy doing so. While he's inconsistent in pass protection at this point, he's a natural pass-catcher who adjusts to passes thrown outside his frame and picks up yards after the catch." The analyst sees Johnson as a good option for the Cowboys as a potential compliment to free-agent signee Darren McFadden. "Johnson is more 'fast' than 'quick' on tape," Muench wrote. "He doesn't show great burst to and through the hole, or acceleration around the corner on perimeter runs. He's also a high-cut runner who doesn't break as many tackles you might expect for a bigger back."

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 20 - 10:24 PM

And some bad ones:

David Johnson - RB - Panthers

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson will not be a "foundation back" in the NFL, says NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," Cosell said. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style." At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash, and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. Johnson posted the second highest Speed Score amongst running backs. That performance had ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl suggesting a Day 2 selection was in his future. On tape, Cosell sees a lack of fluidity and a kind of timidness when he's about to take a shot. These issues manifest in stiff hips, a surprising lack of m

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast
Mar 15 - 4:18 PM

@evansilva · 28m

Biggest flag on David Johnson when I watched was tendency to buckle up & brace self at point of attack. A Gabbertian approach to running.

@evansilva · 26m

Due to fear of contact, David Johnson left a ton of yards on field. Rarely finished runs. Alarming lack of power/physicality for 6'1/224 RB.

@evansilva · 24m

This is why I think David Johnson will end up at H-Back or maybe as a ST gunner. A Fugazi before the 3rd round of Dynasty rookie drafts.

Yeah the situation is to cloudy for David Johnson to be the #1 pick. The Arizona GM was on the record saying bringing back CJ2K was his #1 priority this offseason. That was before DJ broke out though.

Still his usage can't stay this high. If he's the starter going into next year which it looks like he will be then he's a late 1st round pick. Even with Ellington/CJ back I can't see how they keep the ball out of his hands.

I don't know if the situation is that cloudy.

Keim said they'd look at a contract extension for Chris Johnson on 11/12. Since that point, he averaged 3.4 YPC, had 2 catches for 7 yards, and scored 1 TD. Then he obviously got hurt & David Johnson showed (for a small sample size of 3 games) that he can handle the load at RB, and has (as far as I can tell) done well in pass protection. They also have Ellington under contract for next year, but they seem to have penciled him into the back-up, COP role. I would be surprised if Chris Johnson is brought back, unless it is a very team-friendly deal.

You are a great example of how to contribute in the Shark Pool. Another good post. Every once in awhile I have to show appreciation. :thumbup:

I also heard a interview with Keim where he said the only reason they brought in CJ was because they did not know how good DJ was and they know Ellington "gets dinged up a lot" They were making signing CJ a priority prior to his injury. I can see them not bringing CJ back next year, but my opinion is they will try to bring him back as they are real happy with CJ and want three decent backs. They will not overpay but I think a fair offer will be made.

I also heard a interview with Keim where he said the only reason they brought in CJ was because they did not know how good DJ was and they know Ellington "gets dinged up a lot" They were making signing CJ a priority prior to his injury. I can see them not bringing CJ back next year, but my opinion is they will try to bring him back as they are real happy with CJ and want three decent backs. They will not overpay but I think a fair offer will be made.

I thought the main reason CJ was brought in was due to DJ being the one injured all preseason.

Next Gen Stats: Norman didn't shut down Beckham

Excerpt:

Cardinals rookie David Johnson was even more efficient in covering just 2.93 yards per scrimmage yard gained versus the Eagles. Johnson's total distance traveled of 671 yards was the most of any Week 15 running back, resulting in 229 yards from scrimmage. The tackle-breaking 47-yard touchdown run that channeled Marshawn Lynch's "Beast Mode" covered more distance (69.48 yards) and reached a higher speed (18.23 mph) than any of Johnson's 33 touches.

Edited by Faust

Last three starts:

--------------------

David Johnson, past 3 (1st 3 career starts), has 472 scrimmage yards (157.3 per game), 378 rush yards (126 per game) & 4 TDs (3 rush, 1 rec)

David Johnson has more rushing yards (378) in December than 24 NFL teams

You have to hear this.

'The Run' by Portuguese announcers.

Makes it sound like the greatest run in NFL history, lol.

--------

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/arizona-cardinals-david-johnson-portuguese-play-call-122315

WATCH: Portuguese announcer puts spectacular spin on Johnson's TD

A touchdown is a touchdown in any language. Not all sound the same, however.

...Announcer Luis Felipe Freitas of Esporte Interativo, the Brazilian television station that broadcasts the game in Portuguese, delivered a call worthy of the highlight-reel 47-yard by Johnson, who powered through a small hole over right tackle before stiff-arming a pair of defenders en route to the end zone.

----------

Also he set the all-time Cardinal record for a rookie RB.
----------

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Impressions-Of-David-Johnson/e1463290-6305-4c77-8a3e-131401d2eb7a

... 378 yards rushing in his first three NFL starts with the Cardinals – the best output for a Cardinal in his first three starts in franchise history. The great Ottis Anderson had 339 in his first three starts. Johnson’s 12 total touchdowns is also a Cardinals’ rookie record.

“We’ve told you all along David is a good football player,” offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said. “We never thought we were going to take a hit there as far as the running game. We knew the kid had talent.”

Johnson, who has 517 yards rushing total this season, said he wasn’t sure what to expect as the season began. When he became starter after the injuries to Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington he was “not trying to lose a beat,” he said. “Trying to keep our team’s running game up to par.”

He’s done that, and then some.

“We drafted the talent,” coach Bruce Arians said. “We knew what the talent was. You never know the maturity of the guy. He’s a very mature guy. Comes to work every day and his preparation is flawless. What he does on the field, athletically, doesn’t surprise me at all.”

Three red zone touches in a row. No TD but if that usage continues he'll be huge next year.

Stay healthy DJ!

Everything but the TD on that drive. He's straight up special and a lot of fun to watch. People keep saying he reminds them of Forte but I see a combo of ADP and Forte. The strength and burst of ADP with Forte's elusiveness and catching ability.

Love everything about this kid. He's mature and such a professional. Workmanlike. Just goes out there and does his job, no big over the top celebrations or dances, despite these outrageously good performances and plays -- just trots into the end zone and hands the ref the ball. Even on the sideline afterwards he just looks like he's going about his business. So refreshing.

You can see he is special. Really fun to root for him.

Three red zone touches in a row. No TD but if that usage continues he'll be huge next year.

Stay healthy DJ!

Everything but the TD on that drive. He's straight up special and a lot of fun to watch. People keep saying he reminds them of Forte but I see a combo of ADP and Forte. The strength and burst of ADP with Forte's elusiveness and catching ability.

Interesting. I've been thinking of him as a taller version of a young Frank Gore.

Stay healthy DJ!

Interesting. I've been thinking of him as a taller version of a young Frank Gore.

I was thinking maybe a Brown / OJ hybrid!

A star is born. Game flow is the only thing that kept DJ from another monster game.

Unfortunately for me. He could have sealed a championship for me, now I've got to hope the Denver D can pull it out for me tonight.

Very excited to have him in dynasty!

I am in the same situation. I was down 100 yesterday with Bortles, WR Robinson, RB Robinson, TE Thomas and David Johnson. Now down 9 with the Denver D going tonight. Really need a TD, some sacks, some int's or a shutout. Crazier things have happened.

I'm excited about Johnson too. I can see him going in the 1st in dynasty start-ups next year.

Edited by Denver724

Phoenix radio this morning had Keim on for his weekly piece. The host asked Keim if he is surprised at how dominant Johnson is and does he have his GM buddies calling him with jealousy.

Keim said that when they were evaluating him in college he had the receiving and running skills they wanted but they hadn't seen him run between the tackles and move a pile. Then Keim said he as shown that he has worked hard and now has a complete set of skills. He also said that his catching and open field running for a guy his size are astonishing.

He then cited the play a play where he looked like a gigantic slalom skier with sick lateral movement.

He aslo said a couple of his GM buddies said "good get", and went on to say that is about the highest compliment you can get from another GM because no one is going to let you see you how much they covet one of your players or want to give you cred you can use in future negotiations.

Again local radio spot and I paraphrased where i couldn't recall exactly what he said.

• Like 1

Phoenix radio this morning had Keim on for his weekly piece. The host asked Keim if he is surprised at how dominant Johnson is and does he have his GM buddies calling him with jealousy.

Keim said that when they were evaluating him in college he had the receiving and running skills they wanted but they hadn't seen him run between the tackles and move a pile. Then Keim said he as shown that he has worked hard and now has a complete set of skills. He also said that his catching and open field running for a guy his size are astonishing.

He then cited the play a play where he looked like a gigantic slalom skier with sick lateral movement.

He aslo said a couple of his GM buddies said "good get", and went on to say that is about the highest compliment you can get from another GM because no one is going to let you see you how much they covet one of your players or want to give you cred you can use in future negotiations.

Again local radio spot and I paraphrased where i couldn't recall exactly what he said.

See, real football is much like fantasy football.

Bit of trivia.

Did you know that Arizona rookie RB David Johnson is a triplet? He was born with two sisters. >>> http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Huddle-Up-With-David-Johnson/a94dc8ca-1e85-4f89-9ab4-d5b3e6216006?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Also Some interesting takes on DJ from different personnel men around the league.

---------------------

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2015/12/29/how-scouts-evaluated-arizona-cardinals-david-johnson/78014100/

How scouts evaluated Arizona Cardinals' David Johnson

I talked to three talent evaluators – two NFL assistant coaches and Cardinals director of scouting Dru Grigson – to see what their teams thought of Johnson at two points: last spring entering the draft and now.

The assistants, who coached against the Cardinals recently, asked that their names not be used. Their teams didn’t take Johnson because they were already set at running back.

Here’s what all three men had to say.

Assistant No. 1

“Most true running back evaluators probably had him rated pretty high, late first, second or third round. The No. 1 thing that showed up on film is he was a big, fast guy and that translates to success in the league. And No. 2, his playmaking ability jumped out immediately.

“You knew he was going to contribute in the passing game. He was a willing pass protector. You could see the willingness, and that’s half the battle with these young guys.

“I’ve run across him two or three times on tape, just in games with common opponents. He’s breaking arm tackles, punishing people. One of the things you worried about were the instincts and his ability to make people miss.

“I think he’s improved. He has lateral ability and evades the first tacklers. He’s obviously done some nice things with his footwork over the summer and in training camp.

"He reminds me a little bit of Matt Forte (of the Bears). If he continues to work like he has, they got a star on their hands. I knew B.A. (coach Bruce Arians) would look at this kid and say, ‘I have something special here in terms of what I like to do in the passing game.’ And it’s worked out. He’s such a great kid. We loved him.”

Assistant No. 2

“You know who he reminds me off? A little thicker Larry Centers. He can line up anywhere, has great hands. He’s a contact player and he’s more elusive than you think he is. We loved the kid coming out of college.

“To me he is the thing you’re looking for in this day and age offensively, especially with a lot of shotgun stuff. You can do a lot of empty (backfield) stuff. You can run him out of the backfield, throw it to him out of the backfield and he can protect.

“In ‘11’ personnel (one back, one tight end), he’s a mismatch when you go empty. You have to cover him with a safety and that means a linebacker has to be on a tight end.”

“He’s just a good football player is what he is. He’s a legitimate playmaker, pure and simple. He’s been a real find for them, and it’s one of the reasons they’re doing what they’re doing. I think they are the best team in football.”

Grigson

“I wasn’t even supposed to go in there (Northern Iowa, in spring of 2014). Mike Boni (a scout), who covers Iowa for us, went and he told me I had to see this kid. He was big, played fast and had outstanding hands.

“So I made a special trip out to Northern Iowa to check him. I texted Mike from the field: ‘Wow, I cannot believe how this kid is built. He’s built through the lower body. He’s lean. He’s ripped.’

“I went to Northern Iowa and played for the same coach, Mark Farley, and he’s honest with me. He absolutely raved about the kid. So did Bryce Paup (former NFL player on the staff). He was highly, highly productive. Then he went on to have a great Senior Bowl and then blew out the combine. He ran a 4.4 (40) and you go, 'Whoa.' When you have a small-school guy, you have to make sure they match up physically. And he had all those attributes – size, speed, instincts and feet. He has good contact balance and he’s able to accelerate. He’s got juice. You just connect all the dots.

“It’s tough to say what a rookie is going to do. He’s exceeded all expectations. We were hoping we’d see this type of back two, three years down the road. He’s come in and done it in Year 1."

• Like 1

David Johnson is a great talent but what really elevates his value is the offense he's in. 50+ catches and Double digit TD's is his floor next year. There's only 1 other RB with a floor like that barring injury and that's Bell. Gurley could easily reach that but I don't think he's in a good enough offense where he's guaranteed 10+ TD's. No recent dynasty rankings on FBG but if DJ finishes the year strong without any significant injuries I bet he's a top 10 dynasty asset moving forward.

Edited by Milkman

David Johnson is a great talent but what really elevates his value is the offense he's in. 50+ catches and Double digit TD's is his floor next year. There's only 1 other RB with a floor like that barring injury and that's Bell. Gurley could easily reach that but I don't think he's in a good enough offense where he's guaranteed 10+ TD's. No recent dynasty rankings on FBG but if DJ finishes the year strong without any significant injuries I bet he's a top 10 dynasty asset moving forward.

Been a LONG time since I've seen a stud RB come along like this. Whoo boy.

Have a look over in the Gurley thread.

Apparently many people believe Gurley is "far and away the better talent" .

I think its a close scenario, but as I posted there, I like his situation and lesser injury history.

Seems a bit silly to actually think that either one is "far and away the better talent".

Personally, I want DJ to slow down a bit as the season progresses. (maybe they just cut his workload back some)

If he goes crazy into the playoffs and has a big Super Bowl game (which is possible) his hype next year will be through the roof.

I don't want to pay that massive price on draft day.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie

What is his value? Is is it a good time to sell high? Would you accept Eddie Lacy and Demaryius Thomas for him? Or demand more?

I wouldn't take Lacy for DJ. Depending on your league rules D. Thomas is closer because WR hold more value in today's game. It would be hard to turn that down but I probably would pass because I drafted DJ earlier than most and i am enjoying this run.

Edited by Milkman

What is his value? Is is it a good time to sell high? Would you accept Eddie Lacy and Demaryius Thomas for him? Or demand more?

Wouldn't trade him for either of those guys. I think DJ has a legit shot at being the #1 RB in PPR next season, and barring significant injury to either himself or Palmer, I'd be shocked if he ended up anything worse than RB #5 nest year. Watching this kid play blows my mind. I had no idea he was this good - dude was on the wire in my redraft league for a good portion of the season. L. Bell or Gurley are the only RBs I'd consider in trade and that's assuming we hear nothing but positive reports on Bell's knee. DJ's situation is ideal for a monster RB season in 2016. Total package!

Been a LONG time since I've seen a stud RB come along like this. Whoo boy.

Have a look over in the Gurley thread.

Apparently many people believe Gurley is "far and away the better talent" .

I think its a close scenario, but as I posted there, I like his situation and lesser injury history.

Seems a bit silly to actually think that either one is "far and away the better talent".

Personally, I want DJ to slow down a bit as the season progresses. (maybe they just cut his workload back some)

If he goes crazy into the playoffs and has a big Super Bowl game (which is possible) his hype next year will be through the roof.

I don't want to pay that massive price on draft day.

TZM

Dude it's too late. He's already locked in 1st round value.

I hope thats not the case.

But at a poker game tonight this very subject came up, when they were talking about the Cardinals.

One guy said he would take him as the #1 RB off the board, if he finishes strong like this, which is rather why I'm hoping for a more modest finish to his season.

For sure, I likely won't own him anywhere next year. I don't see him falling to the third round anywhere, and thats most likely where I am going to be looking to get him.

The hype is already too much at this point.

TZM

I hope thats not the case.

But at a poker game tonight this very subject came up, when they were talking about the Cardinals.

One guy said he would take him as the #1 RB off the board, if he finishes strong like this, which is rather why I'm hoping for a more modest finish to his season.

For sure, I likely won't own him anywhere next year. I don't see him falling to the third round anywhere, and thats most likely where I am going to be looking to get him.

The hype is already too much at this point.

TZM

yup I hear you. If you're a subscriber, they talk a bit about this in the roundtable discussion article. I'll just say, the secrets out of the box with those guys.

If he plays a full game, this week will be a good test. Would love to see him rock and roll agains the Seahawks.

Anybody worried he doesn't play much today? Ellington is fully back and they could potentially sit DJ for the 2nd half. Thoughts?

Edited by gpthatsme

If he plays a full game, this week will be a good test. Would love to see him rock and roll agains the Seahawks.

Anybody worried he doesn't play much today? Ellington is fully back and they could potentially sit DJ for the 2nd half. Thoughts?
always a chance but he will prob play most of the game.