What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (6 Viewers)

I suppose it does in redraft. As always depends on what you could pick up for that slot instead.

Not sure how confident you would be starting Johnson come playoff time if he does return from the injury.

Things can always change, but I think Arians is a pretty straight shooter as far as coaches go. The Peterson trade makes more sense as well if they are not really expecting to get Johnson back.
Plus, what's to say that if Peterson performs well for the next several weeks that he'll be immediately put on the bench and DJ goes back to 25-30 touches a game? If DJ comes back - and seems a very big if - could very well be an RBBC for the rest of the year to ease DJ back into the flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, what's to say that if Peterson performs well for the next several weeks that he'll be immediately put on the bench and DJ goes back to 25-30 touches a game? If DJ comes back - and seems a very big if - could very well be an RBBC for the rest of the year to ease DJ back into the flow.
This is the least likely scenario IMO. 

Yes I would expect some sort of time share with Peterson if he does return. I think Ellignton is likely to be in a time share in the meantime, so Johnson would take over Elligntons role when/if he returns, maybe a bit more than that.

Peterson unlikely to be the passing down RB regardless, because of his deficiencies in pass protection and as a receiver.

Without Carson Palmer it is going to be difficult for Peterson going forward.

Yes I would expect some sort of time share with Peterson if he does return. I think Ellignton is likely to be in a time share in the meantime, so Johnson would take over Elligntons role when/if he returns, maybe a bit more than that.

Peterson unlikely to be the passing down RB regardless, because of his deficiencies in pass protection and as a receiver.

Without Carson Palmer it is going to be difficult for Peterson going forward.
Since it's unlikely that DJ will come back this year, according to Arians, I guess this is just whistling past the graveyard, but was this a serious comment, or am I reading it wrong?  IF (big IF) DJ were to come back this year, you only expect him to take over Ellington's pass-catching role, or a "bit more than that?" 

You really think that Peterson would be the main RB & Johnson would be the pass-catching, COP back, and only be a "bit more" involved than Ellington?

Again, it's likely a moot point, but I don't see any way that this would happen.  AP is a HOF'er & was a monster in his day, but Johnson is light years ahead of him at this point in each man's careers.

Since it's unlikely that DJ will come back this year, according to Arians, I guess this is just whistling past the graveyard, but was this a serious comment, or am I reading it wrong?  IF (big IF) DJ were to come back this year, you only expect him to take over Ellington's pass-catching role, or a "bit more than that?" 

You really think that Peterson would be the main RB & Johnson would be the pass-catching, COP back, and only be a "bit more" involved than Ellington?

Again, it's likely a moot point, but I don't see any way that this would happen.  AP is a HOF'er & was a monster in his day, but Johnson is light years ahead of him at this point in each man's careers.
Maybe not. But if he benches Peterson then Peterson will be unhappy.

Ellington didn't play last week. They played Williams in a smaller pass catching role instead. Just saying that Peterson is not likely to be their passing down RB and without Palmer, that is a role that is likely expanding.

I don't think Peterson's happiness is a big factor here.
Well then Peterson gets benched and Johnson becomes the starter for the last two games of the season, and Peterson has a hissy fit about it.

I guess Arians can live with that.

If Johnson is healthy. Based on Arians statement, doesn't sound like he expects him to be back, making the whole conversation moot. But if it makes Johnson owners feel better about the hypothetical scenario by all means.

It’s just bad luck. Doesn’t make it a bad pick.
Agreed. Wasn't a bad pick with Jamaal Charles tore his ACL in Week 2 in 2011, or Tom Brady tore his ACL & MCL Week 1 in 2008. There are countless examples of this, just a part of FF.

Can the OP edit and rename the thread to "David Johnson IR pissing contest" and then start a new ***Official*** thread without all the pissing?

No. That actually was a bad call.
Yeah, I still find it hard to believe that people still think that throwing a slant into the defense from the 1 yard line was a great play call..............

A pass made sense, but maybe a play action to Lynch, and then a throw to a wide open receiver like they did earlier in the game.  Not a pass into the middle of the defense.  But hey, it made me a few hundred dollars on a money line bet, so I applaud the call................

Disagree. If they lose to SF after the bye there is little to no chance he will play this year. Doubt they beat Seattle or Houston after that game but they could be 4-6 with DJ back for his first game if they beat SF. If they are 3-7 with Jac/LA/Ten staring at them they will shut him down. No reason to play him.
No reason to play Walter Payton 90% of his career either.  

If DJ comes back, make no mistake, it'll be as their feature back. I kinda doubt he's coming back unless they can stay in the race, but if they ARE in the race, DJ will assume his normal role provided he's 100% healthy & in game shape.

I could see Peterson getting a fair number of touches the first week as DJ gets his conditioning up to par, & I'm sure AP will get a few touches in each week after that, but it'll be the DJ show. It's the only chance Arizona has to go anywhere.

Again, I have a feeling DJ will be shut down for no other reason than the Cards will be out of it, but should he come back, & especially if they're in the race, rest assured DJ will be the guy.

I hate when I'm right. It was crazy for you guys to think he was coming back if they were out of contention for a playoff spot. 
Not right yet.

I don't want to see you upset with yourself, so glad to tell you that you weren't "right" yet.

He's not out yet.  If he doesn't play weeks 14-16 AND they are out of contention for a playoff spot.  Then you were right.
Exactly.  Just because Arians says that he doubts DJ will be ready and back to play, doesn't mean it's a fact.  He did say "you'll have to ask the doctors", right?

How on earth can you admit this but still claim victory? I'm not saying you're going to be wrong, I wasn't even part of the original conversation, but you certainly aren't right or wrong at the moment.
Careful or he will get his feelings hurt and report you 

I'm left with what could have been- David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara. 

Sigh, Sigh again.

What really provokes thought isn't what the backfield is, it's who's the QB

I'm left with what could have been- David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara. 

Sigh, Sigh again.

What really provokes thought isn't what the backfield is, it's who's the QB
Yep, the rush of seeing Hunt on the opening Thursday night and knowing I had him paired with DJ was  :pickle:

Worst draft pick of my life.
I guess. First overall pick going out for the season in game 1 is very rough. However, I don't think it was a bad pick. There was no mistake in your process or analysis- it was just bad luck. If we simulated the season out 100 times, probably 80+ times DJ would be getting 25+ touches a game right now and at least delivering on par with guys like Jordan Howard and Lamar Miller. 

I guess. First overall pick going out for the season in game 1 is very rough. However, I don't think it was a bad pick. There was no mistake in your process or analysis- it was just bad luck. If we simulated the season out 100 times, probably 80+ times DJ would be getting 25+ touches a game right now and at least delivering on par with guys like Jordan Howard and Lamar Miller. 
Stop engaging this guy. He's trying to say he's so good at fantasy football that's he's never ever made a bad pick so hence picking a guy that got injured unexpectedly has to be his worst pick ever despite everyone on Earth who had a top 2 pick doing the same.

Stop engaging this guy. He's trying to say he's so good at fantasy football that's he's never ever made a bad pick so hence picking a guy that got injured unexpectedly has to be his worst pick ever despite everyone on Earth who had a top 2 pick doing the same.
Oh I didn't see any of that, just his one post about it being his worst pick. 

agreed, he had 6 catches when he got hurt. he wouldve had 1000 yds rushing and 75 receptions for 1000 yds reciving and 16 TDs (at least) 

injury was fluke

agreed, he had 6 catches when he got hurt. he wouldve had 1000 yds rushing and 75 receptions for 1000 yds reciving and 16 TDs (at least) 

injury was fluke
I think his TDs would have been pretty low this year due to the Arizona offense struggling (and assuming Palmer still gets hurt) but his volume and talent would have locked him into a floor of 1500 yards and 8 TDs. 

Actually, what I'm saying is that there were two players there for the taking at number one with a much longer history of sustained production, who in retrospect were much better choices. The fact that there are people in this very thread arguing that if DJ did indeed come back this year he would have to share snaps with AP says quite a bit, doesn't it? I can't imagine those same arguments being made over Bell.

I've swung and missed on guys like Ray Rice and Lesean McCoy in the past (first overall picks) but was able to get some production out of them, and even move them in trades for better pieces.

So yes, with the injury, this was no doubt the worst pick I've ever made.

Oh I didn't see any of that, just his one post about it being his worst pick. 
Well, I pretty much just kept reiterating that one thought... and hurt some feelings in the process.

Honestly, though, this year has made me re-think ever taking a RB again in the first round. Top WRs seem to be the much safer bet for production, and it seems like RBs fall out of trees on the waiver wire throughout the season. Heck, McKinnon is my best RB at the moment, and picked him up for $1.

Well, I pretty much just kept reiterating that one thought... and hurt some feelings in the process.

Honestly, though, this year has made me re-think ever taking a RB again in the first round. Top WRs seem to be the much safer bet for production, and it seems like RBs fall out of trees on the waiver wire throughout the season. Heck, McKinnon is my best RB at the moment, and picked him up for $1.
I'm in favor of the more zero RB approach but there are a small handful of RBs that have a rare combo of talent and opportunity that gives them a ceiling far beyond any WR and while they may come with more risk, the reward is worth it. 

I'm in favor of the more zero RB approach but there are a small handful of RBs that have a rare combo of talent and opportunity that gives them a ceiling far beyond any WR and while they may come with more risk, the reward is worth it. 
All hyperbole aside (on my part) I was really looking forward to owning DJ this season. I picked him up on waivers during his rookie season, and he helped carry my team down the stretch. I've been a fan ever since.

I'm just really soured on the idea of drafting another RB in the first round going forward. You're right of course, in your above statement... no doubt. There's only a couple of RBs every year that can give you that kind of production. But, aside from one or two guys every half decade, getting those types of seasons consistently is a total crap-shoot. It all comes down to touchdowns and health, which seems to be the most variable in RBs.

All hyperbole aside (on my part) I was really looking forward to owning DJ this season. I picked him up on waivers during his rookie season, and he helped carry my team down the stretch. I've been a fan ever since.

I'm just really soured on the idea of drafting another RB in the first round going forward. You're right of course, in your above statement... no doubt. There's only a couple of RBs every year that can give you that kind of production. But, aside from one or two guys every half decade, getting those types of seasons consistently is a total crap-shoot. It all comes down to touchdowns and health, which seems to be the most variable in RBs.
It is more variable in RBs which you could see as a bad thing (more likely to get hurt) but it's also the thing that allows them to have 15-20 TD potential. I'm not sure what you mean by "crapshoot". All fantasy football is about odds and chance just like craps. The odds DJ outperformed all but 1 or 2 RBs this year were very high but there was the chance he gets hurt week 1. Those odds were low but that chance existed. Each season I think we need to approach the draft with fresh eyes and approaches. This year, the upside of DJ, Bell and pre-suspension Zeke was so much greater than any other player's upside that if one was fortunate to get a top pick, their was no choice but to take the HR swing.

Huge win for Arizona amd DJ's chances of returning. If they can somehow beat Seattle we might get our savior back. Onetime please!

Huge win for Arizona amd DJ's chances of returning. If they can somehow beat Seattle we might get our savior back. Onetime please!
Texans and Jags are next up after Seattle. A four-game winning streak is an actual possibility if they can beat Seattle.

Texans and Jags are next up after Seattle. A four-game winning streak is an actual possibility if they can beat Seattle.
Seattle is beatable too. Houston could be a win now that Watson is gone. Don't see them beating the Jags as long as the Jags don't let Bortles throw it to much.....

Arians: Not ruled out IR return for rookie RB T.J. Logan. Logan will try to field punts next week with a brace on and "see where he's at." - via @Cardschatter (Twitter)

I know most weren't holding their breath on DJ returning, but if Logan were to return, that would leave one IR spot for Palmer/DJ. So someone would be out for the year. Nothing set in stone but definitely worth watching. 

Good news, but still a long way until returning. Depends on Arizonas record, DJ may want to come back but the team will be responsible with him. If they bring Logan back, no chance he comes back.

I get the sense that DJ public lobbying since Arians indicated he was likely done for the season - has been deliberate.  Almost to say 'if I'm healthy, I'm playing'.

If the cast is coming off Monday (11/13)...Week 14 Cardinal game is (12/10)...so 4 weeks essentially to rehab the wrist.  Chao says that rehab could take as little as two.  I'm thinking that the non-public hope is week 13.

Good news, but still a long way until returning. Depends on Arizonas record, DJ may want to come back but the team will be responsible with him. If they bring Logan back, no chance he comes back.
Why would there be no chance if Logan is activated...?  Cards would still have one IR/Return slot left.

Users who are viewing this thread