What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

It's pointless debating DJ's return. I tried to a month ago and was blasted by people who said: "If he's healthy, he's going to play." No one knows for sure. Everything is pure conjecture at this point. 

Latest articles about DJ today didn't sound as promising. Not sure what to think about continued rostering.

@Dr. Dan, thoughts on Johnson's rehab and prognosis for being healthy enough to play by weeks 15-16?

For those in the “if he’s healthy he’s playing” camp. I’ll wager $100 to the first person who is interested... if the Cards are out of the playoff race, my money says he will not return this season. 
It would be a dumb bet because if they don't play him they'll claim it's because he's not healthy.

I keep coming back to his last play in 2016 when he almost tore his ACL in a meaningless week 17 game. 

Don't think that team brass wants to risk that again if the team is hopelessly out of the playoff race. And even if they're in the playoff race, it will likely be because AP is playing well enough to keep the team in the hunt.

Where is the cutoff for teams resting players?

49ers need to play their players because they are trying to rebuild their organization.

Should the NYG sit Eli?  He's their franchise QB and they aren't making the playoffs.

Should DEN sit V. Miller?  Talib? others on D?  They should preserve that Super Bowl calibre D in hopes the offense is better next year, right?

49ers need to play their players because they are trying to rebuild their organization.

Should the NYG sit Eli?  He's their franchise QB and they aren't making the playoffs.

Should DEN sit V. Miller?  Talib? others on D?  They should preserve that Super Bowl calibre D in hopes the offense is better next year, right?
You don't see the difference between Eli playing in meaningless games and DJ playing in meaningless games this year?

Yup... they should shut them down now since the team sucks this year.

It's not that hard to figure out but ok.
Apparently I'm not as smart as you.  Look, I'm not saying DJ is definitely playing this year, I have no idea.  But this idea of teams automatically shutting down players because they are out of the playoffs is not widespread throughout the league and not a certainty with DJ.

Apparently I'm not as smart as you.  Look, I'm not saying DJ is definitely playing this year, I have no idea.  But this idea of teams automatically shutting down players because they are out of the playoffs is not widespread throughout the league and not a certainty with DJ.
That's not what they would be doing with DJ this year. He had a serious injury. He's not relatively healthy and they are just shutting him down. Do you see the difference between the other guys you used as examples now? Add in he was seriously injured in a meaningless game last year week 17...........there just doesn't appear to be any reason to play him. They benefit how? Winning a couple games in this spot after they are eliminated actually hurts them.

Last edited by a moderator:
 He's not relatively healthy and they are just shutting him down
So then we agree.  I said if he was deemed 100% healthy he would play.  If he is "relatively" healthy they will shut him down.  I guess the difference is that you assume he is not going to be healthy enough to play this year, I'm not making that assumption until he is officially put on IR or whatever.

So then we agree.  I said if he was deemed 100% healthy he would play.  If he is "relatively" healthy they will shut him down.
lol no we don't agree he could be 100% and if they are out of playoff contention they will just say he's not and sit him. "Relatively healthy" was in reference to everybody is beat up slightly injured by this time of the season. They are not just shutting him down for the season after he's played 13 weeks because they are out of it. I agree they wouldn't do that but they won't bring him back off the IR if they aren't in playoff contention.

Latest articles about DJ today didn't sound as promising. Not sure what to think about continued rostering.

@Dr. Dan, thoughts on Johnson's rehab and prognosis for being healthy enough to play by weeks 15-16?
Well... I am pessimistic on him returning. 8 weeks in a splint. It's going to be very stiff and weak. I'd imagine he'd have most of his range of motion back in 2-3 weeks. Strength takes more time but I'm sure that'll come back to a point where he can function as a football player by week 15-16. If this were an ankle/knee/hip thing I'd say absolutely zero chance he comes back. Given it's his wrist I can imagine he might play with some kind of a splint that would allow him most function in his wrist but prevent excessive motion that would allow for a re-injury. But re-injury is the biggest concern here. 

I made some comments back on page 48 before I knew exactly what was going on. I think they paint a good picture of how serious this is. Specifically this quote: 

I'd use a timeline of 12-16 weeks with a wrist splint IMO... without knowing anything of what he hurt... just assuming he tore a ligament or two that needs surgical correction. This is no joke... tear through the repair and he could have issues for life, could even rupture tendons and be at risk for losing some use. Worst case scenario, but might paint a picture of why they'd be slow with returning him.

Wrist dislocations are rare in general. But yes. If a carpal bone dislocates, there are ligamentous tears > fractures; it's quite serious. The bones in the wrist receive their blood flow through the ligaments. so if you damage the ligaments, the bones could become necrotic because it gets no blood supply. I'll go on a limb and say it was the lunate involved, or scaphoid. But the lunate is a pretty major one that receives blood flow form a specific ligament. 

This is pretty serious stuff when we're talking wrist injuries TBH... 
If I had to place a bet on if he'd be back or not, I'd say likely no just because if he re-tears those ligaments he may have some significant life long problems in his wrist. It's not a football thing at this point, it's a potential quality of life issue IMO.

Hit enter too soon. My point is that if they are out of the playoff hunt they will never say he’s 100% healthy no matter what the truth actually is. 

And people are really using currently healthy players as a comparison?  C’mon Man!!

lol no we don't agree he could be 100% and if they are out of playoff contention they will just say he's not and sit him. "Relatively healthy" was in reference to everybody is beat up slightly injured by this time of the season. They are not just shutting him down for the season after he's played 13 weeks because they are out of it. I agree they wouldn't do that but they won't bring him back off the IR if they aren't in playoff contention.
It’s pretty simple really. Not sure why some aren’t getting it.

Hey kutta, I respect your thoughts on ARI, so you think he's going to be shut down this year if ARI is out of the playoff race?  
Yes I do. I pretty much agree with what @Milkman has been saying. They aren’t going to declare him healthy and then sit him. If they are out of it, they will just say he’s not healthy and he won’t play. These next couple weeks, both winnable games, will be key.

As stated previously, my concern is that if DJ does come back, I don't think he's going to get a heavy workload of 25-30 touches like last year. I think Peterson would remain heavily involved if he's still healthy. Arians loves his veterans. So DJ could provide some PPR value, but I would temper expectations.

Selfishly, as a dynasty owner with no shot at the title this year, I'd like to see them shut him down for the year and let him come back 100% healthy and hungry in 2018.

As stated previously, my concern is that if DJ does come back, I don't think he's going to get a heavy workload of 25-30 touches like last year. I think Peterson would remain heavily involved if he's still healthy. Arians loves his veterans. So DJ could provide some PPR value, but I would temper expectations.

Selfishly, as a dynasty owner with no shot at the title this year, I'd like to see them shut him down for the year and let him come back 100% healthy and hungry in 2018.
well, DJ with 50% of the work is still a low end rb1 right? :)  100% of the work is 2016 insanity fantasy production

His teammates in the past have talked about his ridiculous ability to heal quickly from injuries, but unless he's given a 100% clean bill of health from several doctors, I highly doubt he plays again this year. Teams in the past have brought back players before they were fully healthy in order to make a playoff push, but it doesn't make sense to bring back an injured star for a team with no shot.

I don't think he gets fully healthy before the end of the season; thus, I don't think he plays again this season, even though I'm sure he wants to.

I think it speaks more to a lost season then DJ coming back. I picked up DJ in my redraft leagues but I don't think this helps. I am hopefully very wrong though!!!

The loss was a big blow to our chances. It sucks because i really could use him and I'm sure everybody else could too. 

i was able to find a blurb about TJ Logan from yesterday's arians presser... but nothing on freaking david johnson?  also, a bit frustrating cardinal website wont post full press conference video

Coach Bruce Arians admitted David Johnson (wrist, I.R.) hasn't "made expected progress" and isn't expected to return this season.

Disappointed but not the least bit surprised. I had a feeling the Cardinals would find a way to report he wasn't making progress if they didn't like their playoff chances. Get to ensure your stud gets 100-percent healthy and tank a bit for the draft. Win-win for the team. Just sucks that I had to keep him locked on my bench all season in my keeper league. 

I’ve held this long, I’m going to hold a bit longer. I have no expectations that he’s going to play, but there’s nothing available on the wire that’s going to help me all that much at this point anyway.

Any update?  I've carried this guy all season hoping he'd be back for the playoffs.  It's not even his dominant hand, I can't believe he isn't back out there yet.  

Users who are viewing this thread