What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

Any update?  I've carried this guy all season hoping he'd be back for the playoffs.  It's not even his dominant hand, I can't believe he isn't back out there yet.  
I'd give up hope. I dropped him about a week ago after the most recent round of news, concerning his lack of progress in his rehab, and no one in my league has picked him up. Expectation is he won't make it back this season, and there hasn't been any news since then to really dispute that assertion.

I'd give up hope. I dropped him about a week ago after the most recent round of news, concerning his lack of progress in his rehab, and no one in my league has picked him up. Expectation is he won't make it back this season, and there hasn't been any news since then to really dispute that assertion.
The only reason I don't like this line of thinking is because the "news" you're talking about was just a pessimistic comment from Arians. It wasn't backed up by anything other than his own opinion in the moment. 

The only reason I don't like this line of thinking is because the "news" you're talking about was just a pessimistic comment from Arians. It wasn't backed up by anything other than his own opinion in the moment. 
Same boat.  I've been waiting for something positive but assuming your talking redraft here...I think essentially with 3 weeks left, the difference now is that the time when we were all hoping he'd be back is now upon us (or on the verge).  And he really doesn't seem close.  You're not hearing anything the from the beat writers...no excitement about the prospect.  Which means Wk 14 is out at a minimum.  So only 15 & 16 remain, and even in a best case scenario - let's say he does suit up Wk 15, he's a flex at best.

If you're in the SB, it likely means you have a good enough team at that juncture to not be needing DJ and to the point the poster made above who dropped him a week ago, that excited noone.

So only 15 & 16 remain, and even in a best case scenario - let's say he does suit up Wk 15, he's a flex at best.
I can't agree with that. If DJ plays (assuming he's fully healthy because he's playing), then he's an RB2 at worst –– a season savior at best. 

I drafted him #1 overall and took Zeke with my second pick. I'm now starting McCaffrey, McKinnon, and Drake as my RB1,2, and Flex. 

When I get Zeke back in Week 16, he's immediately in my RB1 spot. 

If I get DJ back, he's immediately in my RB2. 

It's the lack of news that's really disconcerting for me. It's true, there's probably no higher upside stash than DJ right now (possibly Aaron Rodgers or Zeke could fight him for that spot), but we're quickly approaching the point in the season where we need to be hearing something positive about these stashes for them to be worth holding onto. Aaron Rogers is progressing beautifully, Robert Woods is on track to suit up in the near future, Zeke is training by punching frozen meat in the frozen Russian tundra, etc., but literally the only thing we've from DJ (or any of the Cardinal players sitting on IR) is that we shouldn't expect to see him back. No other answers coming out during the coaches presser, no tweets from DJ signaling his impending return, no pictures from the media of him even near the practice field, etc.. It's a rarity in this age of total information overload, which may tell you that there isn't any other new information beyond that comment from Arians.

It truly comes down to roster construction, but he's the last guy in that group of late season stash guys that I would roster (I actually dropped him to pick up Rodgers). As we progress into the playoffs, with no positive news to date, I'd rather take the risk that I won't face him in the playoffs and use that roster spot for something like a second defense or handcuff. He;s still not a bad stash, by any means, but roster spots are becoming more of a premium as we hit the playoffs, so he just wasn't worth holding onto for me.

I traded Brady for him in 2 QB and next day he was knocked out. Just dropped him this week for TJ Yates (lol, I know but I expect Savage to be yanked this week and need the protection at QB3) and no remorse. Cards probably have less than 1% chance to make playoffs. He's cooked folks.

He may not come back. I might not start him if he does. But I'll be damned if I drop him and risk playing against him in the playoffs.
Exactly where I'm at with all this. Until he's placed on season-ending IR or something, he's not going to waivers for someone else to pickup. 

I don't twitter, but can anyone troll his twitter or the Cardinals beat reporters to see any inkling of news?

It is surprising that everybody so emphatically says he is not coming back because Arians made a comment about how "at this time" nobody from IR is slated to come back.  Progress was slow back then, but what about now?

greyhorse said:
I don't twitter, but can anyone troll his twitter or the Cardinals beat reporters to see any inkling of news?

It is surprising that everybody so emphatically says he is not coming back because Arians made a comment about how "at this time" nobody from IR is slated to come back.  Progress was slow back then, but what about now?
This was from two days ago

Darren Urban

RB David Johnson is still rehabbing his wrist, and his return to the field this season probably won't happen. So he's focused on other things:

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-3/On-The-Sideline-David-Johnson-Confronts-Bullying/ea724f6c-6120-4b8a-b908-55350504b127
That being said, he was dropped in my 12tm redraft the other day and I put a small bid on him, he's now sitting at the end of my bench.

This was from two days ago

That being said, he was dropped in my 12tm redraft the other day and I put a small bid on him, he's now sitting at the end of my bench.
I put in a small bid, too. I'm really active in my league and am down in waiver bucks, so if the playoffs come around and he's ready, I don't want him going completely off and beating me.  

Thinking he reclaims his throne next year. Gurley only guy that can threaten for number one. Bell ypc way down and may be on a new team. Elliot won’t catch enough passes. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3118/aaron-rodgers

Coach Mike McCarthy was noncommittal when asked if Aaron Rodgers would start Week 16 against the Vikings.

"He took too many hits," McCarthy said, saying Rodgers is sore. With the Packers as extreme long shots to make the playoffs -- and eliminated if the Falcons win Monday night -- Green Bay may just opt to go with Brett Hundley the final two weeks. Rodgers' collarbone is 100% but not worth the risk.

This is why DJ was never playing this year unless the Cards had a chance to make the playoffs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on DJ with Arians stepping down and possibly Fitz and Palmer as well?

Hard not be to concerned about him next year despite his supreme talent and the virtual assurance that the offense will still go through him. Hopefully the team can bring in a strong offensive mind (and surrounding talent) or he may be dragged down with a rebuilding team that may struggle to move the ball/put up points.

Hard not be to concerned about him next year despite his supreme talent and the virtual assurance that the offense will still go through him. Hopefully the team can bring in a strong offensive mind (and surrounding talent) or he may be dragged down with a rebuilding team that may struggle to move the ball/put up points.
It’s definitely a big concern imo. Mainly because a large piece of his value comes through the passing game and that’s largely system and QB dependent.

It’s definitely a big concern imo. Mainly because a large piece of his value comes through the passing game and that’s largely system and QB dependent.
Also if I recall correctly DJ was one of the worst RB's against stacked boxes in 2016 and he might be seeing a heavy dose this upcoming season.

Ya, I am semi concerned.  In a keeper league and have the option of keeping DJ for a 2018 12th rounder or Kamara for a 9th....or Dion lewis for a 14th..... this off season will be interesting.  Normally this would be a no brainer but with Arians leaving for sure I think I am leaning Kamara for now.

zamboni said:

I traded him during the season (right before the cast came off, when Arians said he didn't see him playing again this year).  My concern was that Arian might leave, Palmer might not come back, and the offense would take a step back.  While DJ's receiving ability helps his floor, his ceiling was as high as it was b/c of his TD production.  If the offense is bad, that TD potential won't be as high.  I got Fournette & I think his team (if he can stay healthy) is moving up, while DJ's might be moving down.

I’m as big a DJ supporter as there is, and I’m a little concerned. It all depends on who the new coach is and what the QB situation is. This is still a very talented team, and DJ is going to be the centerpiece. He was my “for sure” number one dynasty player after last year. He’s now a for sure top 5 RB in dynasty for me.

I do not have DJ in any league but feel very positive regarding his long term outlook- even without Arians. He has an elite skill set and any competent coach will see that the offense needs to flow through him.

Still a top RB regardless of format.

I do not have DJ in any league but feel very positive regarding his long term outlook- even without Arians. He has an elite skill set and any competent coach will see that the offense needs to flow through him.

Still a top RB regardless of format.
To some extent I agree, but one only needs to look at Gurley in 2017 and 2016 to show how much a change in the offensive system and surrounding talent can make a world of difference for RB production - regardless of how talented he is.

To some extent I agree, but one only needs to look at Gurley in 2017 and 2016 to show how much a change in the offensive system and surrounding talent can make a world of difference for RB production - regardless of how talented he is.
True. But- if you look at Arizona's offensive talent, I don't see any other conclusion than to run the offense through DJ. Unless, of course, the Cards hire Jeff Fisher.

Wow it's amazing to think that you could put the 1.01 on the board and get David Johnson plus how much of a small fortune in return?

I have yet to be convinced that DJ should drop out of the first 10 picks of any draft, regardless of format. I am open to that possibility and enjoy having my thinking challenged. It is why these boards can be a great place. 

If anyone is really down on DJ, meaning that you feel he is not worth a round #1 selection, please chime in.

kutta said:
He’s had to deal with some prettty crummy RB’s
None as good as David Johnson.

He has had to use two RB due to injuries and also some signs of a receiving RB in Woodhead but Johnson is so good as a receiver, I don't see any reason for using a COP.

In an article I read talking about McCoy talking to Larry FItzgerald, Fitz is pointing out to McCoy what a great route runner David Johnson is (he would know) and how dynamic he can be as a receiver. 

I do expect Johnson to be at least the 2nd most targeted player of the Cardinals, if not the first. Just depends on how many targets Larry gets.

I agree with others here that Johnson's value for 2018 will be buoyed by his receiving ability and that it's reasonable to expect his TD production to go down. I'm a little concerned knowing what we know today about the state of the offense. Most obvious statement in the world, but I think it's vital for Johnson's immediate value that they make a move for a veteran FA at QB, especially given Mike McCoy's recent struggles.

Azcentral has a couple of articles up on McCoy, one suggesting that Wilks liked McCoy during the OC search because they were both willing to be flexible with all the uncertainties the offense faces this season: Fitz's decision on retirement, no QB under contract, and some rebuilding to do on the offensive line.  Another argues McCoy is the right guy for the challenge of fixing a "broken offense." McCoy has coached QBs with different skill sets in the past (Pete. Delhomme, Orton, Tebow) and has inherited top guys in Rivers and Manning. So the positive take is he's flexible enough to make the current personnel work. But he's been unsuccessful in recent years and there were concerns last season with the Broncos that his playbook was too unwieldy and that his play calling was a problem, especially given the Broncos' QB group, which led to McCoy's firing during the season.  Apparently McCoy expects a lot from his QBs

NEWS ARTICLES > A.Q. SHIPLEY DONE FOR THE SEASON WITH TORN ACL

PUBLISHED MON AUG 6 3:10:30 P.M. ET 2018 

(fantasypros) Arizona Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks said starting center AQ Shipley tore his ACL and is done for the 2018 season, reports NFL insider Adam Schefter on Twitter.

Analysis: Shipley went down in practice and was eventually carted off after spending time in the medical tent. He was the only Arizona starting offensive lineman to not spend any time on injured reserve last season, but his 2018 is now over before it began. Rookie Mason Cole replaced him as the starter in practice and is the early candidate for the starting center job. This is a blow to the Arizona offense and could have an effect on the production of fantasy stars such as David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald if the offensive line struggles without 

Anyone taking him over Bell at 2 ppr? Feels like one of those decisions that gets ridiculed draft day but looks way better mid season. 

Also, it was a wrist injury, not a leg injury, so he shouldn't have lost any explosiveness and he appears to be catching the ball just fine. The major worries are QB and O-line, but both should be better than last year by a long shot. 

Users who are viewing this thread