What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

We still don't know if DJ can pass block because Arians decided to sit him the 4th week of the preseason and give CJ0K a long look. So the coach now has his best weapon sitting on the sideline when he could be breaking out the next 3 weeks and taking this starting job from the 185 pound 3rd down back they are currently using as a workhorse.

On the surface that screams Arians had no intention of using DJ this year. Why would he not get a long look at DJ during the 4th week of the preseason? Hell, have him pass block the entire game.
Arians doesn't coach fantasy football.

We still don't know if DJ can pass block because Arians decided to sit him the 4th week of the preseason and give CJ0K a long look. So the coach now has his best weapon sitting on the sideline when he could be breaking out the next 3 weeks and taking this starting job from the 185 pound 3rd down back they are currently using as a workhorse.

On the surface that screams Arians had no intention of using DJ this year. Why would he not get a long look at DJ during the 4th week of the preseason? Hell, have him pass block the entire game.
Sitting your best offensive weapon on the sidelines helps the Cardinals win? Not doing everything you can to figure out if he can pass block is ######ed.

I tihnk DJ will take some time to adjust and work on his blocking. I don't see him coimng into play till Late October/ November. He is a 3 down back and I think if he improves his blocking in the next 5 weeks, he takes over and Ellington becomes a backup. Arians and the front office were drooling when they drafted the guy.

I don't get it at all. I mean he either already knew DJ is capable, they're just hiding him, and he's going to get 20 touches Sunday or since DJ got injured Arians is going to teach him a lesson for missing 2 weeks of camp.

Sitting your best offensive weapon on the sidelines helps the Cardinals win? Not doing everything you can to figure out if he can pass block is ######ed.
Best offensive weapon isn't defined as the guy that can score the most fantasy points in a PPR league and break out over the next 3 weeks.

Best offensive weapon isn't defined as the guy that can score the most fantasy points in a PPR league and break out over the next 3 weeks.
Yeah, busting a 55 yard TD on your first touch as a professional is only valuable in fantasy football.

People must enjoy being intentionally obtuse. It's been said time and again in this thread big boy football is about more than the yards you can gain and the catches you snag. Knowing the entire playbook, pass blocking, blitz assignment, etc. Arians is going to go with the guy he thinks is the most effective at all of the above in any given situation. If the rookie runs the wrong route or misses a blitz assignment that can completely offset a positive play he makes. I have David Johnson in 3/4 leagues and would love nothing more than for him to get the lion's share of the work, but I'm not delusional enough to believe Arians plays veterans based purely on stubbornness, it's about who he trusts to execute the entire job. Once that's David Johnson we'll all be celebrating.

Thanks for clearing that up moody. It still doesn't explain why Arians didn't play David Johnson in the 4th preseason game if he's not sure what he has in the rookie.

Another words he's a stubborn ###.

Thanks for clearing that up moody. It still doesn't explain why Arians didn't play David Johnson in the 4th preseason game if he's not sure what he has in the rookie.

Perhaps he wanted to make sure Chris could do what he's supposed to do since I don't recall seeing much of him in the other preseason games.

They could have both played. It's obvious Arians mind was already made up. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Yeah, busting a 55 yard TD on your first touch as a professional is only valuable in fantasy football.
I'd say this is correct in regard to these specific 55 yards and this specific TD. Meant zero in the real game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always love when these things boil down to the one side defending the coaches and saying trust them to do the right thing and the other side ready to anoint their guy as the second coming.

Obviously every case is different but I will say, a lot of these coaches are dummies. I'll leave it at that.

I'd say this is correct in regard to these specific 55 yards and this specific TD. Meant zero in the real game.
Yeah, putting your team up by 2 scores with ~1:30 left in the game is meaningless.

A lot dummies on both side of this thing.

Gotta love the dummies who like to play iToughguy and say he's not coaching your fantasy team, as if there is no synergy and correlation between individual fantasy success and team victories.

coach has already said that D Johnson is a developing player and that his role will expand this week and is expected to expand in successive weeks. He is a developing guy, and Arians doesn't want to throw him into the fire too fast. It's a long term strategy, not an indication that he is lacking any of the skills required for the job. If not CJ, then Kerwynn Williams...while DJ is still growing.

Maybe they didn't want their prized rookie getting hurt in a meaningless game :shrug:

Don't know who this source is, but something to watch...

ARI - Arizona RBs will share snaps - Sun Sep 20, 12:51 PM

Arizona Cardinals RB Chris Johnson will be the starting running back for the Week 2 game against the Chicago Bears, but he will share snaps with RB David Johnson, according to a source. Each running back has a package of plays for them.

Was watching NFL Network's pre-kickoff show. One of the sideline reporters said that according a source, it'll be a relatively even split when it comes to workload(not sure if this means snaps or actual touches).

I guess maybe gaining yards is as important as blocking. :shrug:

Maybe they didn't want their prized rookie getting hurt in a meaningless game :shrug:
That's possible if they already knew what they have in him. If they don't they have to play him to find out and since he missed time in the preseason the 4th game was a perfect time to do that. If they come out today and give David Johnson 20 touches then you will be correct and they were just hiding him. I have my doubts though.

Does a kickoff return for a TD on the opening play count?

Idk maybe being good at scoring TDs in FF correlates with being good for your actual team too. LOLOLOLOLOL @ everybody that doubts this dude is the best offensive weapon on this team and needs as many touches as possible.

First touch in the NFL 55 yard TD run.

Second touch, a 108 yard kickoff return for a TD.

S'okay :football:

Alex P Keaton said:
matuski said:

Not sure what you mean by counting... but yes this play would be meaningful to the game whereas the first was not. Is this confusing for you?

3 touches, 3 tds. 1 rush, 1kr and 1 receiving. Has that ever happened to start a career before?

Alex P Keaton said:
matuski said:

Not sure what you mean by counting... but yes this play would be meaningful to the game whereas the first was not. Is this confusing for you?
Nope. Not confused at all. Another touch just now, another TD for Johnson. Btw, I don't own him, so this isn't some bizarre personal bias.

Alex P Keaton said:
matuski said:

Nope. Not confused at all.Another touch just now, another TD for Johnson. Btw, I don't own him, so this isn't some bizarre personal bias.
I love the guy and own him everywhere. Never changed the fact that a single touch at the end of a game that was already over was meaningless. :shrug:

Can't wait until the diminutive Ellington comes back to be the 3 down workhorse for the Cards and DJ is back at the #3RB spot. You know where this rookie belongs. lololololol

Users who are viewing this thread