What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science? (1 Viewer)

today's new science says we have global cooling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/30/massive_global_cooling_factor_discovered_ahead_of_paris_climate_talks/

don't know if its true, accurate or scientifically sound, but its kind of interesting.
It is not saying there is global cooling, but there is a process which was vastly underestimated in the models which in the real world is offsetting the warming due to greenhouse gases and may be the source of the pause in warming of the climate. It is nice to see something published which is not trying to make the data fit the models or explain away the pause as some kind of glitch.

today's new science says we have global cooling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/30/massive_global_cooling_factor_discovered_ahead_of_paris_climate_talks/

don't know if its true, accurate or scientifically sound, but its kind of interesting.
It is not saying there is global cooling, but there is a process which was vastly underestimated in the models which in the real world is offsetting the warming due to greenhouse gases and may be the source of the pause in warming of the climate. It is nice to see something published which is not trying to make the data fit the models or explain away the pause as some kind of glitch.
my bad.

I am generally skeptical of science for two reasons: 1) The nature of science is that what we know is constantly changing. Science books from a couple of decades ago are useless now. 2) There is a tendancy to forget that and I think we presume to know more than we actually do about many subjects.

This does not mean I reject science. It just means I have a healthy skepticism and don't blindly trust some guy who has a bunch of initials after his name.

I am generally skeptical of science for two reasons: 1) The nature of science is that what we know is constantly changing. Science books from a couple of decades ago are useless now. 2) There is a tendancy to forget that and I think we presume to know more than we actually do about many subjects.

This does not mean I reject science. It just means I have a healthy skepticism and don't blindly trust some guy who has a bunch of initials after his name.
The bolded is a feature, not a flaw.

Never said it was a flaw. However, the constant changing of our understanding of science means that what we "know" today may be wrong tomorrow. I am not anti-science. I just feel that if you actually properly understand the nature of science then you are skeptical of so-called scientific "fact". Pretty much all of the groundbreaking and monumental achievements of science are such because they went against the previous understanding of science and often in the face of tremendous pressure for the person going against establish scientific "fact" or "knowledge".

Never said it was a flaw. However, the constant changing of our understanding of science means that what we "know" today may be wrong tomorrow. I am not anti-science. I just feel that if you actually properly understand the nature of science then you are skeptical of so-called scientific "fact". Pretty much all of the groundbreaking and monumental achievements of science are such because they went against the previous understanding of science and often in the face of tremendous pressure for the person going against establish scientific "fact" or "knowledge".
Oddly, I have almost never heard an actual scientist use the word "fact". I wonder why that is?

Oddly, I have almost never heard an actual scientist use the word "fact". I wonder why that is?
Because they have a healthy amount of skepticism of current scientific knowledge based on the nature of science as noted above.

Because they have a healthy amount of skepticism of current scientific knowledge based on the nature of science as noted above.
Because what non-scientists call "facts" are more correctly labeled as "theories" or "hypotheses" by actual scientists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science books from a couple of decades ago are useless now.
While what is well understood certainly changes over time, let's not go totally crazy with the ridiculous generalizations.

Some science books from a couple decades ago are useless now. Most aren't.
You would be comfortable with your child learning science from a science book 20 years ago? I wouldn't. :shrug:
Not very much about grade school-, middle school-, or high school-level chemistry, physics, astronomy or health science has changed since 1995. I guess Pluto's status has changed (perhaps more than once, I can't keep up). The current understanding of nutrition has changed quite a bit. What else would be horribly out of date?

I'd like to put out a bumper sticker "I DON'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE. it just is. "

Most of why we are irrational when we are has to do with a dreadful need to matter. A mechanical world has no particular need for us, you, me at this particular time and never essentially will unless we personally corral a chaos into order or explode a pattern into chaos. Our spiritual confabulations require our presence, now and always, as personal instruments of the creating and most powerful force of the universe. For which will one spend the poor capital of one's common sense? nufced
With one those little fish symbol things

I don't think many reasonable people doubt science. I think many reasonable people doubt the infallibility of scientific findings. It's sort of the same thing with the medical community. Reasonable people don't doubt medicine, but they doubt the idea that doctors have all the answers to the exclusion of everything else.

I don't think many reasonable people doubt science. I think many reasonable people doubt the infallibility of scientific findings. It's sort of the same thing with the medical community. Reasonable people don't doubt medicine, but they doubt the idea that doctors have all the answers to the exclusion of everything else.
That's fine, but why do they make up their own, seemingly random, alternative answers?

That's fine, but why do they make up their own, seemingly random, alternative answers?
Well, I can only speak for Christians and most of the Christians I know are educated, thoughtful, reasonable people. I don't know a single Christian who believes the earth is 5,000 years old. I don't know a single person who denies shared genetics between species. I think the differences of opinion are a lot more reasonable than you think.

Well, I can only speak for Christians and most of the Christians I know are educated, thoughtful, reasonable people. I don't know a single Christian who believes the earth is 5,000 years old. I don't know a single person who denies shared genetics between species. I think the differences of opinion are a lot more reasonable than you think.
depending on the poll you look at, 35%-40% of the U.S adult population rejects evolution and common ancestry.

depending on the poll you look at, 35%-40% of the U.S adult population rejects evolution and common ancestry.
I think it depends on how you phrase the question. "Evolution" covers a pretty broad spectrum. And once you eliminate really old people and the ignorant I think you'll find very few young earthers out there.

I think it depends on how you phrase the question. "Evolution" covers a pretty broad spectrum. And once you eliminate really old people and the ignorant I think you'll find very few young earthers out there.
Pretty sure the global warming alarmists are young earthers. They are constantly calling the last 140 years, 'ever'.

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. All good Christians know it is 6000 years old. :oldunsure:

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. All good Christians know it is 6000 years old. :oldunsure:
I am waiting for a reporter to ask Ted Cruz how old he thinks the world is. He has refused to answer when asked in the past.

Science books from a couple of decades ago are not useless at all. The best teaching material on physics is still the Feynman Lectures, published in the early 1960s. Other major fields have advanced even more slowly than physics has. And where there have been advances, the advances do not render our previous understanding useless. Consider Einstein's modification of Newtonian mechanics. Newton's laws are still extremely useful. Moreover, when the OP asks why people are skeptical of science, he likely doesn't mean "Why are people skeptical of the advances that have been made in the last few decades?" He's asking, I think, about stuff like the basics of evolutionary biology, which were laid out in 1859 (speaking of books from more than a few decades ago that hold up pretty well).

In any case, I think the bold is a good answer to the OP's question. Most people who are skeptical of a given scientific consensus don't realize how little they actually know about the subject, and how much more other people do know. They don't realize that "Why are there still monkeys?" doesn't qualify as deep insight because they're completely unaware of all the field research and experimental results that have been accumulated on the subject. Scientists tend to be acutely aware of the limits of their own knowledge. (Press releases and media reports of their work usually obscure this point, but the journal articles those media reports are based on are generally full of caveats, hedges, and explicit statements of limited confidence.) Many lay people, on the other hand, in their understanding of scientific issues, are walking examples of the Dunning-Krueger effect.

I will say that I think that it's weird that conservatives tend to get branded as a anti-science more than liberals. It's like evolution and global warming are the litmus tests for science as a whole.

But on the Left, there are plenty of major issues where a large number of lefties are in conflict with science. Stuff like GMO food, vaccines, nuclear energy, the science around the Keystone pipeline, holistic medicine, etc. all have a much larger and more immediate impact than whether someone is wrong about evolution or not. If someone is wrong about evolution, it really changes nothing. But politicians being wrong about that other stuff has serious societal costs.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
sublimeone said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
sublimeone said:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspxWhat?

Congratulations for being skeptical about skepticism.

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
sublimeone said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
sublimeone said:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspxWhat?
So 42% of us are ignorant. How many of those are really old vs have-no-excuse-for-it?

I will say that I think that it's weird that conservatives tend to get branded as a anti-science more than liberals. It's like evolution and global warming are the litmus tests for science as a whole.

But on the Left, there are plenty of major issues where a large number of lefties are in conflict with science. Stuff like GMO food, vaccines, nuclear energy, the science around the Keystone pipeline, holistic medicine, etc. all have a much larger and more immediate impact than whether someone is wrong about evolution or not. If someone is wrong about evolution, it really changes nothing. But politicians being wrong about that other stuff has serious societal costs.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I think you are painting with a pretty broad brush here. But, I believe that even teaching creationism in schools is very dangerous for so many reasons, but this article summarizes my thoughts: http://www.alternet.org/story/152349/why_the_anti-science_creationist_movement_is_so_dangerous

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
sublimeone said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
sublimeone said:
So 42% of us are ignorant. How many of those are really old vs have-no-excuse-for-it?
More importantly, how many of them vote?

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
sublimeone said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
sublimeone said:
Enough to make all GOP candidates deny basic science.

We never seem to see a lot of people chiming in about how they're skeptical about things like the Standard Model of Particle Physics, Special Relativity, the Kinetic Theory of Gases, or the Casimir effect.

We never seem to see a lot of people chiming in about how they're skeptical about things like the Standard Model of Particle Physics, Special Relativity, the Kinetic Theory of Gases, or the Casimir effect.
Because that's obvious blasphemy! Doesn't Saudi Arabia execute non believers of the kinetic theory of gases?

Science is nothing but people coming up with ideas and other people trying to disprove it. It'll never last.

Most scientific findings are established by repeatable experimental results. The deviation of the climate models from the actual temperatures should cause a revisitation of the hypothesis.

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
sublimeone said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
sublimeone said:
Enough to make all GOP candidates deny basic science.
yeah... all those people being bussed to the polls on election day by the democrat machine are brilliant.

When you attempt to group people into two neat little packages, you are always wrong. There are so many nuances and there are extremes on both sides who are wrong. Just because there is good science on one side, does not mean that it is not being exaggerated by some and is being used to drive bad policy which does not solve the problem at hand. What is really solved by. collecting more taxes and driving carbon producing industry to developing nations? the proposed solutions are power grabs and not solutions.
Plus the obvious incongruity of the anti-vaxxers: anti-science, suspicious of authority, but decidedly individualistic and anti-community since they are helping reintroduce diseases that could potentially kill millions of people.

sublimeone said:
joffer said:
Isn't this the exact issue of this thread? You are casting aside the data that has been collected for what you think is true.

Science books from a couple of decades ago are not useless at all. The best teaching material on physics is still the Feynman Lectures, published in the early 1960s. Other major fields have advanced even more slowly than physics has. And where there have been advances, the advances do not render our previous understanding useless. Consider Einstein's modification of Newtonian mechanics. Newton's laws are still extremely useful. Moreover, when the OP asks why people are skeptical of science, he likely doesn't mean "Why are people skeptical of the advances that have been made in the last few decades?" He's asking, I think, about stuff like the basics of evolutionary biology, which were laid out in 1859 (speaking of books from more than a few decades ago that hold up pretty well).

In any case, I think the bold is a good answer to the OP's question. Most people who are skeptical of a given scientific consensus don't realize how little they actually know about the subject, and how much more other people do know. They don't realize that "Why are there still monkeys?" doesn't qualify as deep insight because they're completely unaware of all the field research and experimental results that have been accumulated on the subject. Scientists tend to be acutely aware of the limits of their own knowledge. (Press releases and media reports of their work usually obscure this point, but the journal articles those media reports are based on are generally full of caveats, hedges, and explicit statements of limited confidence.) Many lay people, on the other hand, in their understanding of scientific issues, are walking examples of the Dunning-Krueger effect.
Your face is a walking example of the Dunning-Krueger effect.

Users who are viewing this thread