What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (2 Viewers)

Wish masters.com would reconsider who they show in their featured group each day. Stuck watching every shot from Willet and Cabrera. Hoffman, Garcia, Westwood all on the course right behind them.

Wish masters.com would reconsider who they show in their featured group each day. Stuck watching every shot from Willet and Cabrera. Hoffman, Garcia, Westwood all on the course right behind them.
Terrible feature groups.  I'm going with Amen Corner.

I didn't want a smart TV but couldn't pass up the deal we got. I'm home today and thought I'd try to stream the Masters. It says I need to download Adobe flash.

"Unable to download"  :wall:

Anyone else find it hard to believe that we can't watch the biggest golf tournament of the year (normal coverage) until 3:00?  This is 2017 and there is a channel named "GOLF channel."  I understand ESPN/ABC may have rights.  Find a way to make it work for the people.

Anyone else find it hard to believe that we can't watch the biggest golf tournament of the year (normal coverage) until 3:00?  This is 2017 and there is a channel named "GOLF channel."  I understand ESPN/ABC may have rights.  Find a way to make it work for the people.
They've built the brand on the less is more concept. They're not going to do anything drastic at this point.

Talk to Augusta. They get what they want

The coverage has been awful. I've seen every ####### shot by some dude named "Curtis Luck" this morning. When the coverage pivots over to ESPN this afternoon, we will be treated to 3 dudes talking about DJ while guys play golf. Atrocity is an understatement.

I took some Kisner at 210-1 this morning. Still 190-1. Obvious long shot but a decent round today puts him right there. Surprised he's that high still.

Literally everyone...especially the first time they come on this board to talk about the event.

The tournament is so anal in terms of how it's presented on TV. ESPN has done a great job of mimicking CBS's coverage. Back in the day they used USA network on thursday and friday just using the CBS guys. There's no way they'd put it on Golf channel because that's NBC and they don't have the style/announcers that the Masters has so meticulously developed over the years. Just the ESPN switch this year from Tirico to Van Pelt must have caused those Augusta hire-ups to have an OCD flair up. Be interesting to see what they do with the Verne slot as Verne seems to be on his last legs.

The tournament is so anal in terms of how it's presented on TV. ESPN has done a great job of mimicking CBS's coverage. Back in the day they used USA network on thursday and friday just using the CBS guys. There's no way they'd put it on Golf channel because that's NBC and they don't have the style/announcers that the Masters has so meticulously developed over the years. Just the ESPN switch this year from Tirico to Van Pelt must have caused those Augusta hire-ups to have an OCD flair up. Be interesting to see what they do with the Verne slot as Verne seems to be on his last legs.
You figure they were OK by at least retaining Tirico, since he is on the Golf Channel coverage.

A question about the "majors". What has determined the four majors as a major? Tradition or is there some type of governing board that determined these four?

I have heard speculation that at some point The Memorial may become the "5th major". 

A question about the "majors". What has determined the four majors as a major? Tradition or is there some type of governing board that determined these four?

I have heard speculation that at some point The Memorial may become the "5th major". 
The majors originally consisted of two British tournaments, The Open Championship and The Amateur Championship, and two American tournaments, the U.S. Open and the U.S. Amateur. With the introduction of the Masters Tournament in 1934, and the rise of professional golf in the late 1940s and 1950s, the term "major championships" eventually came to describe the Masters, the U.S. Open, the Open Championship, and the PGA Championship. It is difficult to determine when the definition changed to include the current four tournaments, although many trace it to Arnold Palmer's 1960 season. After winning the Masters and the U.S. Open to start the season, he remarked that if he could win the Open Championship and PGA Championship to finish the season, he would complete "a grand slam of his own" to rival Bobby Jones's 1930 feat. Until that time, many U.S. players such as Byron Nelson also considered the Western Open and the North and South Open as two of golf's "majors,"[4] and the British PGA Matchplay Championship was as important to British and Commonwealth professionals as the PGA Championship was to Americans.

During the 1950s, the short-lived World Championship of Golf was viewed as a "major" by its competitors, as its first prize was worth almost ten times any other event in the game, and it was the first event whose finale was televised live on U.S. television. The oldest of the majors is The Open Championship, commonly referred to as the "British Open" outside the United Kingdom. Dominated by American champions in the 1920s and 1930s, the comparative explosion in the riches available on the U.S. Tour from the 1940s onwards meant that the lengthy overseas trip needed to qualify and compete in the event became increasingly prohibitive for the leading American professionals. Their regular participation dwindled after the war years. Ben Hogan entered just once in 1953 and won, but never returned. Sam Snead won in 1946 but lost money on the trip (first prize was $600) and did not return until 1962.

Golf writer Dan Jenkins – often seen as the world authority on majors since he's attended more (200+) than anyone else – has noted that "the pros didn't talk much about majors back then. I think it was Herbert Warren Wind who starting using the term. He said golfers had to be judged by the major tournaments they won, but it's not like there was any set number of major tournaments."[5]

In 1960, Arnold Palmer entered The Open Championship in an attempt to emulate Hogan's 1953 feat of winning on his first visit. Though a runner-up by a stroke in his first attempt, Palmer returned and won the next two in 1961 and 1962. Scheduling difficulties persisted with the PGA Championship, but more Americans began competing in the 1960s, restoring the event's prestige (and with it the prize money that once again made it an attractive prospect to other American pros). The advent of transatlantic jet travel helped to boost American participation in The Open. A discussion between Palmer and Pittsburgh golf writer Bob Drum led to the concept of the modern Grand Slam of Golf.[6]

It's 2017 and we honestly have difficulty determining what the guy in second place shot on the 10th at the Masters?  Good god.

Score Update
There was a scoring-reporting error with Sergio Garcia. He made a bogey 5 on No. 10. The error is being corrected.

Score Update
There was a scoring-reporting error with Sergio Garcia. He made a bogey 5 on No. 10. The error is being corrected.
I know it's being corrected.  The point was it took 4 holes to figure it out.  In every other golf tournament of the year, even the Ham and Egger opens, we could look back at the footage and find out his score in 20 seconds.  Instead we hear 30 minutes of debate and wondering in one of the most important tournaments of the year.  It's stupid.  

I know it's being corrected.  The point was it took 4 holes to figure it out.  In every other golf tournament of the year, even the Ham and Egger opens, we could look back at the footage and find out his score in 20 seconds.  Instead we hear 30 minutes of debate and wondering in one of the most important tournaments of the year.  It's stupid.  
Relax and enjoy your Pimento cheese sandwich.

Score Update

Users who are viewing this thread