What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (2 Viewers)

I'm off for my annual visit to the Honda Classic - looks like Tiger is making his return - this is kind of his "hometown" event, so I expect a hell of a week this year.  I'm assuming a bunch of guys who don't play this early on the West Coast will be there as well but not certain of the field yet (I assume Sergio will be there).

I'm off for my annual visit to the Honda Classic - looks like Tiger is making his return - this is kind of his "hometown" event, so I expect a hell of a week this year.  I'm assuming a bunch of guys who don't play this early on the West Coast will be there as well but not certain of the field yet (I assume Sergio will be there).
Make sure you go either Thursday or Friday or don't expect to see Eldrick. 

Heading to the Waste Management Open next week, my company has a Skybox on the 16th hole. Last year we were at the 17th hole which was cool but really looking forward to the madness of the 16th. I will be out there for the Pro-Am and the 1st round. Also will be checking out the Flo-Rida show Wednesday night that is also at the course. There can be worse things than getting bombed with clients for two days straight watching the greatest spectacle in golf. Sometimes work doesn’t suck.
Damn I was there too. Should have hit you up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
7 W in his last 31. Which is really, really impressive.

Then I remembered TW won 7 straight starts. And had another if 6 straight. And a 5 win streak. Three of the five best streaks ever (Hogan 7 & of course Byron 11 - different era, Woods did it against much deeper fields.)

Anyway, Thomas is looking really solid.
Posted the same thought in the Tiger thread.  Justin Thomas's great run is still less than Tiger's career average in terms of winning percentage.

Posted the same thought in the Tiger thread.  Justin Thomas's great run is still less than Tiger's career average in terms of winning percentage.
Up until this year, Tiger did a very good job at  playing courses that suited his game well. In his prime he was only playing 20 or so PGA tour events. JT has played 25 or 26 events last 2 seasons. 

There was an article couple winters back - think it was when TW turned 40 - which listed his 40 greatest accomplishments. And some of them are just so ridiculous, what he did was unprecedented & unlikely to be seen again for another generation or three.

I don't really care to post in the TW thread because it's 95% trolling one way or the other. But it's plain that if his health holds up he's going to contend, and likely win. Unlike other guys who faded, he didn't get the yips or just stop making birdie putts. It's the same putting stroke that saw him miss like 3 times on 1600 straight putts 3' & under over 4 years (one of those crazy good 40 stats from above.) He admits there are shots he used to do with ease he doesn't even try anymore because he just can't - obviously he's never going back to what he once was. But to quote young & not quite savvy TW, his C game can win tourneys and his B game will beat virtually everyone in majors.

But to quote young & not quite savvy TW, his C game can win tourneys and his B game will beat virtually everyone in majors.
Young Tiger's C Game could win tourney's and his B game could win majors.  Those days are long gone - age and injuries have taken their toll.  There is no guarantee Tiger has an A game left - and at his age, most golfers regress, rather than improve.  He can't simply turn up and expect to compete anymore - and he is not intimidating any of the top-50 golfers.

Up until this year, Tiger did a very good job at  playing courses that suited his game well. In his prime he was only playing 20 or so PGA tour events. JT has played 25 or 26 events last 2 seasons. 
He's only played more than 19 once since the Tiger Slam 18 years ago. Not counting the short season he used to play his way into full-time status, he's had 20 or 21 (high) tournaments only 5 times in 21 PGA tour seasons. Conversely, he's had 6 seasons in which he played 0-12 events due to injuries.

I don't quite get the stat padding argument. I mean, sure, on the surface it seems like an effort to minimize his accomplishments. 23 wins on 3 courses: Torrey, Bay Hill, & Firestone. Another 7 at the WGC-Cadillac (6 different courses but you could say 4 events 30 wins to cherry pick a point.)

Except, if it was as easy as just picking courses that suit your game, how come nobody else has replicated that? Let's put it this way: a golfer has won a single event 7 or more times five times in PGA Tour history. That's Sam Snead on his home course (Greensboro Open) and Tiger four different events - on nine different courses.

Found the article I was referring to in my previous post:

Stats Incredible - Tiger's 40 Greatest Numerical Records

Tiger has won the Vardon Trophy nine times - next highest is five. Their have been six seasons in which a player has an adjusted scoring average of 68.6 or lower. All six belong to Tiger. And it just goes on and on...

id rather have mash potato guy removed over someone hoping for a ball to go in a bunker
Is this the latest "YOU THE MAN" thing? Should have zero tolerance policy & toss them immediately, it would stop.

I never noticed on the broadcast because I watch golf at very low volume in order to induce golf couch naps. It's may favorite thing in winter.  :P

Already had Hooters Owls Nest tix for next Friday at Copperhead...where Rory was making his first appearance...and today Spieth, Serg...and Tiger committed.  The schedule changes bumped this up the charts big time.  :popcorn:  

This 21 y.o. Indian kid from the Asian Tour is pretty impressive. Shubhantar Sharma (white sauce over rice plz) chipped in for eagle at the first day 1, sank a thirty foot eagle put at #1 in the second round, and just became the 7th player today to drive the green. 316 yards at altitude so NBD but that had to calm his nerves. 45 footer coming up.

This 21 y.o. Indian kid from the Asian Tour is pretty impressive. Shubhantar Sharma (white sauce over rice plz) chipped in for eagle at the first day 1, sank a thirty foot eagle put at #1 in the second round, and just became the 7th player today to drive the green. 316 yards at altitude so NBD but that had to calm his nerves. 45 footer coming up.
new nicknames:

- Don't Squeeze the Sharma!

- Sharmanji!

Phil in trouble @ par 5 11th but guys leaking oil everywhere right now 

Thomas in prime position to post the score to beat

Me either...language barrier? The whole thing seemed rushed.
Well he stayed in there by himself for awhile. Caddie needed to go in (if there was room) or at least know where he was aiming. That recovery shot was gonna reach the fairway. This is a WGC, where is the marshals? Pretty ridiculous to see that at this level.

Plenty of golf left so we’ll see....

He's the best tee-to-green shot maker in the game now, at 24.  Unreal, after sticking a SW on the 72nd last week too.

Just saw that Phil pockets $1.7M for the win.

I am old enough to remember when Curtis Strange was the first golfer to win $1M in a single year...

I am old enough to remember when Curtis Strange was the first golfer to win $1M in a single year...
'76 typical tour win got $40K.  British Open - $13.5K (7,500 pounds).  PGA Championship was $50K ...tie for 7th got a whopping $8K.

#### is crazy now.  

This looks like its going to be a really interesting PGA year.

Lots of competition in the top tier, JT is probably the best player in the world right now, DJ has the best all around game and is arguably still the best player in the world, Jason Day found his game again, Spieth will eventually contend again I'm sure, Rahm has plenty of talent, Phil is back, Tiger could be a factor at some point.

The only one missing is my mind is Rory, although I have to believe he's not done.   Fowler is good but feel like he's not quite top tier.

Read somewhere that he still makes 50 mil a year.  One win in the last 4 years.  FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS.

Who makes the most amount of money per wins, endorsements included?  Give or take 10 million.

Read somewhere that he still makes 50 mil a year.  One win in the last 4 years.  FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS.

Who makes the most amount of money per wins, endorsements included?  Give or take 10 million.
Used to make more.

2003: $83,700,288

2004: $89,370,407

2005: $86,992,739

2006: $98,941,827

2007: $122,702,706

2008: $117,337,626

2009: $121,915,196

2010: $74,294,116

2011: $64,067,059

2012: $86,124,386

2013: $83,091,508