What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (2 Viewers)

Any youse guys wanna put real $$ on this.  Any action head to head I'm in for up to $100 just call out yes and how much you want of it.  

Im not really a golf fan but Tiger had me intrigued today. i listened to it on the way home from a lacrosse tournament. 

I have no idea who the guys on westwood 1 are but they are phenomenal. I have sirius so it was on the PGA channel but they were great at painting a picture. One guy was yelling cmon ball on the 16th par 3  

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. 

I saw Jordan Spieth projected as 140 in FedEx points. Does he have to finish top 125 to keep his card for 2020? Can he finish 126 to 150 and live off sponsor exemptions? He won an event in 2018 but not sure of the ramifications. 

He has majors exemptions for 5 years after his win but not sure if that matters if he can't keep his card 

I saw Jordan Spieth projected as 140 in FedEx points. Does he have to finish top 125 to keep his card for 2020? Can he finish 126 to 150 and live off sponsor exemptions? He won an event in 2018 but not sure of the ramifications. 

He has majors exemptions for 5 years after his win but not sure if that matters if he can't keep his card 
Nm I answered my own question. Dude needs to take a break, he's  a mess.

You also get a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, and a five-year exemption into the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship

A win used to get you a two year exemption.  No idea about today though.

He keeps his card for his majors exemptions and there are probably a couple other ways he could keep it too.

A Champion is born, his name is GM.

Razor thin!

GM - 84
Culdeus - 92
Binky - 107
mphtrilogy - 109
cowboys - 113 (with a dead player)
Mookie - 117
Thorn - 119
The Man - 120
Heckmanm - 132
Belated congrats to GM.

This was fun General, thanks.  Not sure if you'd be into repeating it for all the Majors, or if we'd have the interest for the PGA etc.  But a simple bragging-rights competition was enjoyable and I'd do it again.

Nm I answered my own question. Dude needs to take a break, he's  a mess.

You also get a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, and a five-year exemption into the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship
They don't stack though. I mean in that way tiger doesn't have his card to 2115.  

Whatever his last major was +5 years is his clock afaik.  

That being said the guy is garbage right now. I always had a Justin Lenonard feel about the guy.  Get a few key wins and then sort of fades back for 15-20 years and people wonder what happened.  

Romo rocking the Happy Gilmore putting stroke.
Not sure I know what that is, but if it's the hands separated, that's how I putt.  I started doing that back in the 90's and found I could control my putter much better.  Left hand at the top like normal, but right hand almost below the grip.  Whenever I play with someone for the first time, they usually laugh and crack a joke.  Not so much at the end of the round.  Putting is the strongest part of my game.

Not sure I know what that is, but if it's the hands separated, that's how I putt.  I started doing that back in the 90's and found I could control my putter much better.  Left hand at the top like normal, but right hand almost below the grip.  Whenever I play with someone for the first time, they usually laugh and crack a joke.  Not so much at the end of the round.  Putting is the strongest part of my game.
He holds it like a hockey stick.

He holds it like a hockey stick.
Yup.  That's my stroke.   :lol:

I actually started doing it after watching Happy Gilmore.  It just seemed to make more sense to me.  I was trying everything and everything to fix my putting.  That felt so natural.  

A few years back, on Big Break, there was a guy who used to play hockey on the show.  He had trouble pitching and chipping, so he just started hitting it like a saucer pass.  He was awesome.  I tried that for my chipping issues.  Have no idea how that cat did that.  

When they decided to move the PGA Championship to May, I remember a lot of talk about how BPB would play much different and much harder because the ground would be softer.  That was at least one of the factors mentioned.  Much like how the TPC played different because of winds blowing differently in March as opposed to May.  

I haven't heard any real mention of it of late.  Not sure if it's because maybe it's not as bad as they had thought.  Or maybe it's because more people are focused on writing articles about Tiger and the level of play.  Whatever it is, I'm interested to see what the players have to say.  If they think this already tough course is that much tougher in May.  

I don't see how the ground being softer would make the course harder for a tour pro.  Most of these guys carry their drives over 300 and losing 5-10 yards of run out isn't going to matter if the softer greens are going to be accepting of their longer irons.

Also, there's no way it's as hard as the US Opens were because they won't have an idiot trying to protect par setting the course up.

I don't see how the ground being softer would make the course harder for a tour pro.  Most of these guys carry their drives over 300 and losing 5-10 yards of run out isn't going to matter if the softer greens are going to be accepting of their longer irons.

Also, there's no way it's as hard as the US Opens were because they won't have an idiot trying to protect par setting the course up.
Losing any amount of yards off the tee on this course is detrimental to their games.  This course is incredibly long when they're getting roll in August.  Again, I wasn't the one saying this.  These were golf "experts" on TV and magazines saying it.  :shrug:

It matters. Historically, there have been people who struggled to reach the fairway on 10. 12 is brutal. It is a demanding course that plays very long under the best of conditions.

Losing any amount of yards off the tee on this course is detrimental to their games.  This course is incredibly long when they're getting roll in August.  Again, I wasn't the one saying this.  These were golf "experts" on TV and magazines saying it.  :shrug:
I get it.  I know how hard this course played before.  They were hitting 5 & 6 irons to greens on normal par 4s.  It's one of the longest venues anywhere on tour.  One of the reasons it was so hard though was that those 5 irons weren't holding the greens.  I fail to see how hitting a 4 iron that can hold on a soft green is hurting a tour pro versus a 5 iron that runs through the green.  But then I'm not a golf expert.

I get it.  I know how hard this course played before.  They were hitting 5 & 6 irons to greens on normal par 4s.  It's one of the longest venues anywhere on tour.  One of the reasons it was so hard though was that those 5 irons weren't holding the greens.  I fail to see how hitting a 4 iron that can hold on a soft green is hurting a tour pro versus a 5 iron that runs through the green.  But then I'm not a golf expert.
You might be right.  That's one of the reasons I'm interested in hearing what the pros say next week after the practice rounds and more so after the first round.  Was it all just a "faux" issue that made for a good storyline leading up to it?  

They're actually some of the most receptive greens in the Major rotation. Unless they've been redesigned since I last played it, they are notoriously flat.

The one they had the most trouble holding was second shots into 4, which is a par 5 with the green tilting front to back.

It matters. Historically, there have been people who struggled to reach the fairway on 10. 12 is brutal. It is a demanding course that plays very long under the best of conditions.
The last time Bethpage was played was in 2009.  There were 13 players on tour that averaged over 300 per drive statistically that year.  This year there are currently 51 players over 300 on average.  Last year there was 60.  

Don't get me wrong.  I know Bethpage is hard.  It's always going to be one of the hardest stops on the tour and most of that is due to length, but these guys hit the ball a mile now.  Stopping long irons on greens is much more of a boon than losing 5-10 yards off the tee IMO.  But I could be wrong...  :shrug:

You might be right.  That's one of the reasons I'm interested in hearing what the pros say next week after the practice rounds and more so after the first round.  Was it all just a "faux" issue that made for a good storyline leading up to it?  
It just depends on the weather from now through the tournament. I don't think time of the year is going to have much impact aside from it not being as hot and humid. A course can play fast and firm in May if it doesn't rain for awhile. Courses can dry up pretty quickly without rain, if that is their desire.

The last time Bethpage was played was in 2009.  There were 13 players on tour that averaged over 300 per drive statistically that year.  This year there are currently 51 players over 300 on average.  Last year there was 60.  

Don't get me wrong.  I know Bethpage is hard.  It's always going to be one of the hardest stops on the tour and most of that is due to length, but these guys hit the ball a mile now.  Stopping long irons on greens is much more of a boon than losing 5-10 yards off the tee IMO.  But I could be wrong...  :shrug:
We'll see soon enough. I need to look into what if anything they have done to the layout.

It just depends on the weather from now through the tournament. I don't think time of the year is going to have much impact aside from it not being as hot and humid. A course can play fast and firm in May if it doesn't rain for awhile. Courses can dry up pretty quickly without rain, if that is their desire.
I think there might have been 1 or 2 days it didn't rain in the past year and half up this way.  Or at least it's felt that way.  Last year a lot of places in and around this area saw their average annual rainfall reached in August.  And this year hasn't been much better.  Slightly less rain, but still wet.  Like I said, I'm excited to see how it plays.  I like this course a lot.  Hope to play some day. 

Also, congratulations on your 20,000th post. :confetti:

We'll see soon enough. I need to look into what if anything they have done to the layout.
A few greens were enlarged to create more hole locations and return them to their original size. #18 is quite different - larger landing area will tempt guys to hit 3W or D, pitch on for a closing birdie. Lucas Glover hit 6-I/6-I there at the 72nd in 2009 (it's a short par 4, like 350) and Tiger made bogey when he coasted in.

Fairways will be 24-28 yards wide.

Tiger is in the zone today. 6 under thru 11. Missed two makeable birdie putts too. Just knocked it pretty close 12. Hasn't hit a bad shot yet. Don't think he's missed a green.

9 birdies and an eagle...heck of a close for a 7-shot win coming in with a 3-way tie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen him hit the ball like that, but not putt. We’ll see if it means anything or just a blip like last year at Bay Hill.  These greens did look like poanna...like Pebble?

No Pebble Beach talk?

I was fortunate enough to see a practice round and round 1 in 2000 when Tiger lapped the field. My brother is an account exec for a famous hot sauce brand and his company rented the astronaut John Glenn's house which was directly on the course for the whole week. It was a huge 6 BR house and was full of exec's and their client guests. My brother managed to smuggle me in as a guest. They had a chef and a huge stocked bar. What a party feast and we could walk directly from the back yard onto the course with our badges. Good times!

Fading Tiger, Phil, Speith, DJ, Fowler in my DFS full contest lineups.

2 $10 lotto tickets for the quarter mill at DK, I'll add more daily's once we see who has the magic:

1. B. Koepka

R. McIlroy

D. Berger

C. Howell III

L. Bjerregaard

K. Aphibarnra

2. Jon Rahm

Jason Day

T. Fleetwood

W. Simpson

Ian Poulter

D. Berger