What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finding Jesus: Faith Fact Forgery (1 Viewer)

CowboysFromHell

Footballguy
Anybody catch this new series on CNN? Sunday nights at 9pm EST. The premier was on the Shroud of Turin. Pretty good stuff. They presented the claims of the faithful and then the scientific evidence that has been uncovered to date.

Next week is John the Baptist. Supposed to be an episode on Mary Magdalene too. :popcorn:

So far, I have the score as Forgery: 2, Fact: 0

Episode 1 - Shroud of Turin. First, the shroud is rather strange in that the image on it appears to have been burned into the cloth, which makes no sense for anybody but a man that people claim to have done other impossible things. Second, it just looks fake to me. But, the real reason this can safely be called a forgery is the carbon-dating that proved the shroud was from the 13th century. Pretty good episode that took the audience through the entire history and presented evidence on both sides of the argument. The carbon-dating results were the climax, and essentially ended the argument, though people still debate the authenticity.

Episode 2 - John the Baptist. Technically scored as a forgery simply because the focus of the episode was on carbon-dating a relic, and it turned out to be 600-700 years too young to have been John the Baptist's finger bone. Actually, I should say the finger bone of any random man from the first century, because even if the bone did prove to be from the correct time period, how do you prove it was actually John the Baptist's? Most of the episode focused on the biblical account of the lives of both John the Baptist and Jesus. Rather boring, actually, but my impression so far is that the producers are giving a pretty fair balance of Faith and Fact, so sitting through the Faith stuff is worth it for me to get to the good stuff.

Next week's episode: Judas' betrayal.

Episode 1 - Shroud of Turin. First, the shroud is rather strange in that the image on it appears to have been burned into the cloth, which makes no sense for anybody but a man that people claim to have done other impossible things. Second, it just looks fake to me. But, the real reason this can safely be called a forgery is the carbon-dating that proved the shroud was from the 13th century. Pretty good episode that took the audience through the entire history and presented evidence on both sides of the argument. The carbon-dating results were the climax, and essentially ended the argument, though people still debate the authenticity.

Episode 2 - John the Baptist. Technically scored as a forgery simply because the focus of the episode was on carbon-dating a relic, and it turned out to be 600-700 years too young to have been John the Baptist's finger bone. Actually, I should say the finger bone of any random man from the first century, because even if the bone did prove to be from the correct time period, how do you prove it was actually John the Baptist's? Most of the episode focused on the biblical account of the lives of both John the Baptist and Jesus. Rather boring, actually, but my impression so far is that the producers are giving a pretty fair balance of Faith and Fact, so sitting through the Faith stuff is worth it for me to get to the good stuff.

What is the gist of this on JTB? Is it to try and prove a finger bone was actually his or that he was or was not a fictional character?

The whole Shroud of T thing has always been silly.

What are they trying to determine with regard to Judas' betrayal?

Every time I look at the shroud it appears Jesus would have had an enormous head or maybe I'm only seeing the enlarged version.

What is the gist of this on JTB? Is it to try and prove a finger bone was actually his or that he was or was not a fictional character?

JTB: they talked about the enormous number of relics that are "claimed" to be from JTB. Obviously, they can't all be his, and in fact, most are probably fraudulent. They found a box of bones under a church that is dedicated to him, and dated those to the first century. So, there you do have a valid claim that the bones are at least from the correct time period. The other finger bone was found to be a fraud, but if it would have dated to the correct period, the next step would have been to try to extract DNA and see if it matched the bones found under the church. All of this seemed a bit silly to me, because no matter what you find, you can't then prove you have JTB, only remains of a man from the first century.

Judas is next week, so we'll have to wait and see. They are supposed to analyze a codex that is referred to as the "Gospel of Judas". link

How accurate Harvey Keitel's portrayal was.

Users who are viewing this thread