What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore - still in the NFL at 65. (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Schefter reporting it

Gore giving owners one/two last monster paydays!!! Looks like his lack of use recently is gonna help him out

@AdamSchefter 5m

5 minutes ago
Let's try this again: Frank Gore plans to sign with Indy, per source; deal expected to be similar to Philly offer: 3-years, $12M, $7.5M gtd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to me that Chip runs this fast paced system and his top two RB's might both be relatively ancient by RB standards. Which to me means a solid chance of more of a RBBC approach like we saw last season.

I still think it's a significant upgrade for Gore's fantasy outlook but the Colts would have been more of a homerun. I thought he could have done the Bradshaw role better than Bradshaw.

Really channeling his inner Josh McDaniels here. I give Chipper two more years with the bastion of talent he's accumulated in Philly.

I picked up Kendall Hunter off the waiver wire last season in a deep deep dynasty because I have always liked him. I had little idea that he actually re-signed with the 49ers in Nov.

Rotoworld take:

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that free agent RB Frank Gore has told people he will sign with the Eagles this week.
So much for a depressed running back market. Just hours after exiled Eagle LeSean McCoy landed $16M in 2015 salary to play for the Bills, Gore gets a reported $7M in guarantees to replace him. It's a very pricey sum for a 32-year-old (in May) running back with 2,442 carries across 10 NFL seasons, but his no-nonsense downhill style and exceptional pass-protection skills appeal to Chip Kelly. Expect Gore, Darren Sproles and possibly Chris Polk to form something of a three-headed monster in Philly while the Carlos Hyde era is now officially underway in San Francisco.

Related: Eagles, Carlos Hyde

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 8 - 4:32 PM

Will be funny to see how many Eagles fans that were down on McCoy because of his age will like this move.
I don't think any Eagle fans was down on McCoy because of his age. These backs have unique running styles. Its about attitude as Bills fans will certainly find out.

If they're not giving their draft for Mariota, not a fan of the move guaranteeing $7+ mil for age 32&33 seasons.

Im sure this has been discussed before, but how many RBs have had truly productive seasons after they turned 32? Like 1000 yards and 6+ TDs? This contract takes Gore to his 35th birthday, right? Seems insane to me. Pay a little more and get Murray.

Im sure this has been discussed before, but how many RBs have had truly productive seasons after they turned 32? Like 1000 yards and 6+ TDs? This contract takes Gore to his 35th birthday, right? Seems insane to me. Pay a little more and get Murray.
Not many. Emmitt did ok and FJax but none has been able to have anything near an elite season. Just bizarre hinging you backfield on two 32 year olds with the market out there. The Chip Kelly hype is dead to me. Guy has sent his best personnel in their prime out of town on a rail then hung his hat on Matthews, whose potential still is not known, a pair of old RB's and then refuses to outright a role to Ertz who may be his bests offensive weapon at this point. If he goes and gets Mariota he better get that team to being good pretty quick seeing as he is in year 3 and in year 1 it looked like they had something that he has now gone and blown completely up.

Will be funny to see how many Eagles fans that were down on McCoy because of his age will like this move.
Was anyone ever down on McCoy due to age? If so I never heard that complaint. The only complaint I've ever heard-and this move supports it-is that shady dances too much and Chip's blocking scheme is designed for one cut and hit the hole type RB's; which Gore is. There were stories here last year that Kelly was getting frustrated with shady not running how kelly wanted. I'm not a huge fan of this move cause we just signed a RB (albeit a good one) that has a ton of wear on his tires, until he's my age now. That being said, if we got Gurley as the youngster to take over in a couple years, I'd feel fine with the move I guess..

You guys are paying shady $16m over the next year. So far we got Gore and Alonso for about 1/3 of that and half of what it was before. Would have to see who else we get with another $5m but hard not to think it makes sense.

Appear to be 13 seasons ever with 900+ yards and 5+ TDs by a back who was 32 or older, which includes 2 each from Emmitt, John Henry Johnson and John Riggins.

I'm not sure who was down on him because of his age. It mainly had to do with the money he was owed and the rumors that he wasn't fitting in and was likely to be cut or moved anyway.

You guys are paying shady $16m over the next year. So far we got Gore and Alonso for about 1/3 of that and half of what it was before. Would have to see who else we get with another $5m but hard not to think it makes sense.
Will look great by the numbers until the mid-late part of November when Gore can't sustain during the most important part of the season.

Even as a casual watcher of the Niners, it was easy to see that they have been pacing him for about two years now.

Completely wasted signing on a washed up RB by a megalomaniac coach who, year by year, is showing how unfit he was for the pro game. :shrug:

Eagles fans, I don't envy you for the next few. But the Chip experiment will die off swiftly, IMO. He inherited a team built by competent NFL minds, but is rapidly showing he's not one himself. The pseudo-GM/accountant isnt helping. Team in distress, headed for disaster one season at a time till they cut bait. :shrug:

Completely wasted signing on a washed up RB by a megalomaniac coach who, year by year, is showing how unfit he was for the pro game. :shrug:

Eagles fans, I don't envy you for the next few. But the Chip experiment will die off swiftly, IMO. He inherited a team built by competent NFL minds, but is rapidly showing he's not one himself. The pseudo-GM/accountant isnt helping. Team in distress, headed for disaster one season at a time till they cut bait. :shrug:
A bit more harsh than I would put it but I kind of agree. This signing is nothing to be excited about. Gore will be 32 this season. He's on the decline. Maybe serviceable for this year but not much more.

It's going to be MJD 2014 all over again.

Gore showed plenty last season. I don't think he's washed up at all. He'll give you 200 carries, great pass blocking, good hands (totally forgotten the last few years) and play his heart out. Philly fans are gonna love him.

Will look great by the numbers until the mid-late part of November when Gore can't sustain during the most important part of the season.

Even as a casual watcher of the Niners, it was easy to see that they have been pacing him for about two years now.
His ypc was higher in the 2nd half of the season than it was in the 1st, and the last two games of the year were his best. He won't be able to handle 300+ carries like McCoy, but for 250 or so, he might give them similar production at a fraction of the cost.

Will look great by the numbers until the mid-late part of November when Gore can't sustain during the most important part of the season. Even as a casual watcher of the Niners, it was easy to see that they have been pacing him for about two years now.
His ypc was higher in the 2nd half of the season than it was in the 1st, and the last two games of the year were his best. He won't be able to handle 300+ carries like McCoy, but for 250 or so, he might give them similar production at a fraction of the cost.
I don't want this to be an attack but I don't like the way this is spun. It's not really about McCoy vs. Gore. My problem is more so with Gore vs. Murray vs. AD vs. Ingram vs. Spiller, hell vs. Roy Helu. I understand having strong veterans filling roles. Sproles proved that last year but this looks like asking Gore to fill a role that history has shown he will fail at doing. Perhaps he could be an outlier but rumor was Chip's complaint was Shady's money so what the heck is he doing paying Gore?

Will look great by the numbers until the mid-late part of November when Gore can't sustain during the most important part of the season. Even as a casual watcher of the Niners, it was easy to see that they have been pacing him for about two years now.
I don't want this to be an attack but I don't like the way this is spun. It's not really about McCoy vs. Gore. My problem is more so with Gore vs. Murray vs. AD vs. Ingram vs. Spiller, hell vs. Roy Helu. I understand having strong veterans filling roles. Sproles proved that last year but this looks like asking Gore to fill a role that history has shown he will fail at doing. Perhaps he could be an outlier but rumor was Chip's complaint was Shady's money so what the heck is he doing paying Gore?
I'm not even sure what role you're talking about, but when did Gore show that he will fail at it?

We'll have to see what happens with those other guys before comparing the deals.

They are paying Gore less than McCoy, and the rumor wasn't just about the money, it was McCoy's dancing in the backfield and attitude as well- two things that you won't have to worry about with Gore.

Anyone think this might be a signing with the thought of Gore mentoring Gurley or Gordon for a couple years? Just seems like Gore got more money than I would've guessed.

I'm not even sure what role you're talking about, but when did Gore show that he will fail at it?We'll have to see what happens with those other guys before comparing the deals.

They are paying Gore less than McCoy, and the rumor wasn't just about the money, it was McCoy's dancing in the backfield and attitude as well- two things that you won't have to worry about with Gore.
He doesn't have to show he will fail. LT, MJD, Erik Dickerson and Emmitt Smith have already shown it for him. Now Emmitt did have an ok 32 yo seasons and Payton didn't fall off until 33 but to act like paying half the guarenteed money to a 32 year old back is acceptable. It isn't, not in my mind. It has nothing to do with McCoy though. I don't think paying him 16 mil is smart either but with the RB market stocked I think it is plain stupid. Gore is fighting a war that is always lost against father time.

I think it leads to them going all in on Mariota, while having a deal for Foles in their pocket for picks.

Maybe they grab a mid-late round RB.

Anyone think this might be a signing with the thought of Gore mentoring Gurley or Gordon for a couple years? Just seems like Gore got more money than I would've guessed.

Not many. Emmitt did ok and FJax but none has been able to have anything near an elite season. Just bizarre hinging you backfield on two 32 year olds with the market out there. The Chip Kelly hype is dead to me. Guy has sent his best personnel in their prime out of town on a rail then hung his hat on Matthews, whose potential still is not known, a pair of old RB's and then refuses to outright a role to Ertz who may be his bests offensive weapon at this point. If he goes and gets Mariota he better get that team to being good pretty quick seeing as he is in year 3 and in year 1 it looked like they had something that he has now gone and blown completely up.
Emmitt really did not play well after he turned 32. Walter Payton had a great season at age 32 but dropped off afterwards. I agree with the skepticism over this contract, unless they can just cut Gore with no cap hit after the 2015 season.

I'm not even sure what role you're talking about, but when did Gore show that he will fail at it?We'll have to see what happens with those other guys before comparing the deals.

He doesn't have to show he will fail. LT, MJD, Erik Dickerson and Emmitt Smith have already shown it for him. Now Emmitt did have an ok 32 yo seasons and Payton didn't fall off until 33 but to act like paying half the guarenteed money to a 32 year old back is acceptable. It isn't, not in my mind. It has nothing to do with McCoy though. I don't think paying him 16 mil is smart either but with the RB market stocked I think it is plain stupid. Gore is fighting a war that is always lost against father time.
There's no doubt that the wheels could fall off at any point, but I was just saying that he hasn't shown signs of that yet.

If you look at those other guys, they all had multiple seasons with massive workloads- other than 2006, Gore has been pretty steady at around ~250 carries per season, maybe he can keep it up for another year or two?

16 mil?

Eagles draft Gurley or Jay in round 2 and Gore plays mentor.
That is what coaches are for. No offense man but you don't bring in RBs to mentor, especially for that cash to teach someone how to run as it is the quickest and easiest transition in the NFL. Either way, this was a particularly laughable signing by the Eagles.I agree those above that Chip is channeling his inner Josh McDaniels / Steve Spurrier and will find himself back where he started in two years or less. His system isn't foolproof, you need to have and keep (sometimes pay for) NFL starting talent and their personalities, not just "your kind of guy".

How is anyone not seeing this as the likely outcome/purpose here? Gore and Sproles split the work, groom the incumbent drafted RB. All at a fraction of the Shady price.

:shrug: ?

How is anyone not seeing this as the likely outcome/purpose here? Gore and Sproles split the work, groom the incumbent drafted RB. All at a fraction of the Shady price.

:shrug: ?
Too much money for that. The money they paid him...they think Gore can contribute. Not saying that they won't draft a RB...or if that rookie is head and shoulders better, he won't get more and more playing time.......but as it stands now, they think Gore can be a viable "one-cut", pass protection RB.

this reminds me of the NE signing correy dillon at the end of his career.

ck = bb?
Gore is 2.4 years older than Dillon was. He's also played in 49 more games than Dillon had played, and he's had almost 900 more touches than Dillon did.

To put it another way: when Frank Gore enters training camp, he will actually be older than Corey Dillon was when Dillon retired. :lol:

Gore was as good as Shady last year. :shrug:

They can find their next starting RB next year.

Gore seems like a fine option for this season, but I don't like giving him guaranteed money beyond that. Since 1970, here is the list of RBs who had a 100+ carry, 4+ YPC season at age 33+: Marcus Allen, Ricky Williams, Warrick Dunn.

Gore has arguably the best vision in the game and is a perfect fit for this offense. Gore ran very well out of shot gun this year with a 5.0 ypc. I get that he is in the twilight of his career and he is not going to out run anyone at this stage, but he still has enough to contribute and is a reliable all purpose back. His wheels have not fallen off just yet. Gore is one of the good guys in the NFL and he plays so hard and has had one heck of a career. I get he is not a shiny new toy but this is a solid signing for a 1 or 2 year rental.

Heck

Week 16 this year: 26 carries for 158 yards and 1 td

Week 17 this year: 25 carries for 144 yards

Also in week 4 vs Philly, Chip Kelly had a first hand view of Gore as he had 175 yards from scrimmage and a td.

I think this gives Philly far more flexibility in the draft while getting a competent and proven guy that will work well in that O. Very good signing.

Gore dynasty owners, this offseason leading up to the draft is your last good chance to move him for decent value. I thought the time had already passed, but Chip bailed you out. Don't blow it. Find that guy in your league who thinks Gore in Philly has BIG YEAR written all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread