What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore - still in the NFL at 65. (1 Viewer)

I can see Ryan Mathews....

he's pretty darn good when healthy... will be dirt cheap... and not completely un-white (haha, so much shtick)

Frank Gore has been exceptional. In so many ways. The fact that he has had any type of career on those knees is amazing. Outlasting Clinton Portis and McGahee.

But, you give a man with that kind of mileage a 300 carry pace and I promise you it won't take long for the injuries to happen.

Gore is only 3000 yards behind Curtis Martin and has a relatively low number of carries for his age (2442). Think he could play for a few more seasons and pass Martin to end up 4th all-time in yards (750 carries @ 4 YPC). Like Martin it would be tough to keep him out of the HOF if he does that.
"Only" 3000 yards?

Also "only" three top-2 annual finishes in rushing yardage behind Martin (that is, 3 to zero), and three top-5 finishes in rushing TDs (that is, 3 to zero). Gore has been a fine RB but comparing his accomplishments to Martin's is ridiculous.
Wasn't comparing the two, just pointing out that keeping the league's #4 all-time leading rusher out of the HOF will be difficult.

But since we are...Gore never got the number of carries Martin did (he had more than 260 carries twice while Martin did it 10 times). However, Gore has a 4.53 YPC (7th all-time among RB's with 2000+ carries) while Martin is at 4.01 YPC (31st).

No doubt it's a long shot for him to stay healthy but I can see him grinding out 3000 like Emmitt did at the end of his career.

Gore has never been 1st team All Pro.
Except his 2nd year (when LT had 28 TD's and LJ had 418 carries) he never had close the carries to get it, is that his fault?

Looking back he was robbed of an All-Pro by LJ who had 94 more yards on 102 more carries.

Wow. That would really screw the Eagles. They had a whole gameplan based in part on this move. If he changes his mind they need to readdress the RB, the money it will take, etc.

Saw a tweet saying maybe Colts.

Check out @RapSheet's Tweet: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575067257421848576?s=09
Now this from Roto:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
According to FOX's Mike Garafolo, all indications are free agent Frank Gore in now "intent" on joining the Colts.
Gore appears set to leave the Eagles at the alter, instead choosing to hitch his wagon to Andrew Luck. He'd move ahead of Dan Herron as Indy's feature back and give Luck one of the game's best pass-protecting running backs. It's reasonable to think the Eagles' apparent lack of direction in personnel moves gave Gore cold feet and he sees a better chance to win a Super Bowl in Indy.
Related: Colts

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 9 - 8:09 PM

can't blame him for wanting to play with Luck.

could see him having a couple of very good years there with limited carries.

Except his 2nd year (when LT had 28 TD's and LJ had 418 carries) he never had close the carries to get it, is that his fault?

Looking back he was robbed of an All-Pro by LJ who had 94 more yards on 102 more carries.
Yeah...uh, Larry had 10 more TD's than Gore that year. Gore was never robbed of anything. He never had the carries because his body wouldn't have held up to them. You don't get credit for what you weren't able to accomplish, even if fans believe you'd have been able to do them in Never-Never Land.

So, is there any possibility that this has a domino effect and the Eagles back out of the McCoy trade?

I think no, but it's not 100% out of the question.

His career was his career; you don't get into the Hall based on what you might have done if you had a different career.

His career was his career; you don't get into the Hall based on what you might have done if you had a different career.
He's rushed for 1000 yards 8 times - only 11 RB's in history have done that. All of them except SJax are or will be (LT) in the HOF.

Yeah...uh, Larry had 10 more TD's than Gore that year. Gore was never robbed of anything. He never had the carries because his body wouldn't have held up to them. You don't get credit for what you weren't able to accomplish, even if fans believe you'd have been able to do them in Never-Never Land.
I could have rushed for double digit TD's behind that line.

I still think it's a significant upgrade for Gore's fantasy outlook but the Colts would have been more of a homerun. I thought he could have done the Bradshaw role better than Bradshaw.
I always thought Indy made a lot more sense for him. Tried trading for him in a few leagues a few weeks ago based on fact I felt so sure that's where he was going.

I don't expect him to put up big rushing totals but he should pick his reception totals back up to the something closer to the old Frank Gore type levels and have a lot more TD chances. If in fact he goes to Indy.

So, is there any possibility that this has a domino effect and the Eagles back out of the McCoy trade?

I think no, but it's not 100% out of the question.
The fact that PHI wanted to reduce its $$ commitment to their RB1 hasn't changed. i suppose anything is possible until tomorrow afternoon, but I can't see the Eagles wanting to back out.

It's different with a trade vs. a free agent backing out too. There are just 32 teams and for the most part they want to maintain relationships among themselves that will facilitate future transactions. Backing out wouldn't be good from that standpoint.

He's rushed for 1000 yards 8 times - only 11 RB's in history have done that. All of them except SJax are or will be (LT) in the HOF.
And SJax won't get in either.

Rotoworld:

According to FOX's Mike Garafolo, all indications are free agent Frank Gore in now "intent" on joining the Colts.

Gore appears set to leave the Eagles at the altar, instead choosing to hitch his wagon to Andrew Luck. He'd move ahead of Dan Herron as Indy's feature back and give Luck one of the game's best pass-protecting running backs. It's reasonable to think the Eagles' apparent lack of direction in personnel moves gave Gore cold feet and he sees a better chance to win a Super Bowl in Indy.

Related: Colts

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 9 - 8:09 PM

Bottom line, judging a player's HOF worthiness is about judging what he did in the situations he was in. It is not about judging what might have happened if he was in different situations. Generally speaking, players get what they deserve/earn.

In this case, he got the carries he got. And his performance with those carries (a) wasn't enough for him to ever be rightfully viewed as one of the few best RBs in the league, which is why he never was 1st team All Pro, and (b) wasn't enough for him to earn more carries. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bottom line, judging a player's HOF worthiness is about judging what he did in the situations he was in. It is not about judging what might have happened if he was in different situations. Generally speaking, players get what they deserve/earn.

In this case, he got the carries he got. And his performance with those carries (a) wasn't enough for him to ever be one of the few best RBs in the league, which is why he never was 1st team All Pro, and (b) wasn't enough for him to earn more carries. :shrug:
We're also in an era of RB devaluation, which just makes it that much harder for any RB to make the HoF. They will have to truly stand out above their peers and be considered special for their careers (like A Peterson) to make it. No way Gore becomes a HoFer unless he does something truly amazing these next few years, which I can't imagine him doing. His body of work so far won't be nearly enough especially given the way RBs are viewed today.

In this case, he got the carries he got. And his performance with those carries (a) wasn't enough for him to ever be one of the few best RBs in the league, which is why he never was 1st team All Pro, and (b) wasn't enough for him to earn more carries. :shrug:
We're also in an era of RB devaluation, which just makes it that much harder for any RB to make the HoF. They will have to truly stand out above their peers and be considered special for their careers (like A Peterson) to make it. No way Gore becomes a HoFer unless he does something truly amazing these next few years, which I can't imagine him doing. His body of work so far won't be nearly enough especially given the way RBs are viewed today.
My thinking is the opposite - in an era where RB's are a dime a dozen to accomplish what Gore has is impressive.

I don't think he's a HOF'er at the moment but 2500 more total yards put him 9th all-time in yards from scrimmage.

Gore to Indianapolis just makes more sense than Gore to Philly. He can't keep up with that pace. Gore was one of my RBs last year, and Hyde was the better back. That said, Gore is a perfect fit for Indy. Bradshaw, when healthy, still might be the better back, though. But he's not healthy.

Gore to Indianapolis just makes more sense than Gore to Philly. He can't keep up with that pace. Gore was one of my RBs last year, and Hyde was the better back.
Clearly the opinions you state are more valid than others then. :tinfoilhat:

Gore to Indianapolis just makes more sense than Gore to Philly. He can't keep up with that pace. Gore was one of my RBs last year, and Hyde was the better back.
Clearly the opinions you state are more valid than others then. :tinfoilhat:
No, and no need to fight. But when you watch a guy intently for about ten-twelve games, you get a feel. He could never keep up with Philly's pace, and he'll wind up in Indy in the end. I'll be kind of correct when it comes down. You okay, man?

Gore has ONLY 4 games last season with 20+ rushes: (because the Niners are idiots)

24/119

23/81/1

26/158/1

25/144

Ya... sounds like he's done. :lol:

Gore has ONLY 4 games last season with 20+ rushes: (because the Niners are idiots)

24/119

23/81/1

26/158/1

25/144

Hyde was the better back.
the better back that had 3.2.4.9.7,5,2,6 carries to end the season?

k
Would you bet your backing on Tre Mason and Josh Gordon here? Gore is gone for a reason. I agree with you sometimes, but you're way too confident for that track record. Gore looked out of breath, never breaking tackles, and just locked into getting stuffed regularly. Carlos Hyde is a bomber, as Motorhead would say. Gore, if he signs with the Eagles or Colts, I'll draft at value, but Hyde is the better back right now.

Would you bet your backing on Tre Mason and Josh Gordon here? Gore is gone for a reason. I agree with you sometimes, but you're way too confident for that track record. Gore looked out of breath, never breaking tackles, and just locked into getting stuffed regularly. Carlos Hyde is a bomber, as Motorhead would say. Gore, if he signs with the Eagles or Colts, I'll draft at value, but Hyde is the better back right now.
How was I in any way wrong on Tre Mason? I said he'd be the lead back by week 8... In preseason. I was wrong by 2 weeks... In a good way. This was a masterclass of a call.

On Gordon, how was I supposed to know he'd drink a bottle of the NFL's major sponsor and sit the year? Still back him to the death.

Anyways... on to Gore. He's still got it...

I dont see a way he goes below 1000/8, barring an injury in IND.

How was I in any way wrong on Tre Mason? I said he'd be the lead back by week 8... In preseason. I was wrong by 2 weeks... In a good way. This was a masterclass of a call.

On Gordon, how was I supposed to know he'd drink a bottle of the NFL's major sponsor and sit the year? Still back him to the death.

Then I don't see how we disagree. He's 1000/8 in IND. I just don't think he's cut out for more than six up-tempo games in PHI.

Then I don't see how we disagree. He's 1000/8 in IND. I just don't think he's cut out for more than six up-tempo games in PHI.
I'm not talking bout Philly anymore... Havent been since yesterday, He's going to Indy.

In Indy, 1000/8 is more than realistic... I think/hope he puts up one last monster year... In that offense, VERY realistic

Gore in Indy has to be third round redraft in 14-16 team leagues, at least. At least. If he signs with Indy, I'm targeting. All those passes from Luck checking down? HFS.

well

to be fair i hear he had previously failed a drug/alcohol test or two or three or.....well you see what i mean

so perhaps you should have known :)

i like gore, there's some risk due to age, so i question his opportunities, will they take it a bit easy with him to make sure he has juice come playoff time

Rotoworld:

Sources tell FOX Sports Frank Gore pulled out of his deal with the Eagles in part because he was more intrigued by the chance to play in the Colts' offense.

Gore is expected to get slightly more money when he signs with Indy, but reportedly had concerns about an Eagles offense with question marks at both quarterback and wide receiver. A source also said Gore indicated to a friend he was concerned with what he heard about Chip Kelly's overbearing approach. Gore leaving Philly appears to have also the Eagles Andre Johnson, as the ex-Texan is now reportedly on his way to Indy as well.

Related: Colts, Eagles

Source: Fox Sports
Mar 10 - 11:55 AM
Colts plan to sign Frank Gore to a three-year, $12 million contract.

The deal will include $7.5M guaranteed. It's slightly better than the deal Gore originally agreed to with the Eagles, but his reversal likely had more to do with the offensive stability in Indy. Gore, still a solid north-south runner with elite pass-protection skills at age 31, will move in front of Boom Herron as the starter and should't have a problem getting 200-220 carries.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 10 - 12:24 PM

24/119

23/81/1

26/158/1

25/144

In what way was Hyde a better RB than Frank Gore?

2014 Frank Gore 255 carries 1106 yards 4.3ypc 4TD 19 targets 11 receptions 111 yards 10.1ypc 1TD
2014 Carlos Hyde 83 carries 333 yards 4.0ypc 4TD 16 targets 12 receptions 68 yards 5.7ypc

Usually a COP RB will have better YPC than a lead RB because they are fresher and get less attention from the defense. Hyde was not better than Gore in this area and was much less effective as a receiver than Gore was.

Same deal Ingram got. SMH.
Can't think of it in fantasy value terms. Gore is a heck of a back and as solid standup guy as you'll find. He's going to play for the team and put their goals first and he's going to do it class and hunger for a ring. If it costs the colts 9-12 million to win a title next year, it's worth it

SELL SELL!

great deal for gore, might help someone this year fantasy wise, but what a great time to score in on something for a 32 year old RB.

Biabreakable said:
rockaction said:
Soulfly3 said:

24/119

23/81/1

26/158/1

25/144

In what way was Hyde a better RB than Frank Gore?

2014 Frank Gore 255 carries 1106 yards 4.3ypc 4TD 19 targets 11 receptions 111 yards 10.1ypc 1TD
2014 Carlos Hyde 83 carries 333 yards 4.0ypc 4TD 16 targets 12 receptions 68 yards 5.7ypc

Usually a COP RB will have better YPC than a lead RB because they are fresher and get less attention from the defense. Hyde was not better than Gore in this area and was much less effective as a receiver than Gore was.
He wasn't a change of pace guy. He was a short yardage guy if you watched. But your point is taken. Gore's DVOA and success rate were higher than Hyde's, though how much of that had to do with situations and effectiveness of the line, we'll never know.

Oh, and in case you're wondering about the COP thing, just check the touchdowns. Hyde was a bruiser. He'll also be a better back this year, though the way SF and IND are headed inversely, it'll be like comparing apples and oranges.

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano made it clear at the NFL owners' meetings that the Colts envision Frank Gore as a workhorse and every-down back.
He'll take on full-time running back duties ahead of Dan Herron, Vick Ballard, and Zurlon Tipton. Even at 32, the Colts think Gore can be a high-volume bellcow. "Some guys are like that. Carry 1-20, they’re OK. And 20-30, they keep getting better as you wear defenses down. And I think Frank is that type of runner," said Pagano. "He’s a tough, hard-nosed, every-down back. He can play all three downs. He’s a great protector in pass pro. He catches the ball out of the backfield. We all know what he can do as a runner on early downs. He loves football."

Source: CSN Bay Area
Mar 24 - 3:21 PM

Users who are viewing this thread